Trade Talk

Fry’s Forgotten Few – Round 17

Thin ice for Danger, a must have Lion and the wrong top-6 defender from Collingwood.

I just managed to nudge past 2,000 this weekend, meaning any chance I had of a decent rank this season is pretty much out the window. Still, there is a solid chunk of the season left so I’m going to hold my chin high and try salvage something. As I was digging through this week’s numbers I realised there are a low of players who still have low ownership. If you see a familiar name then right a wrong and invest.

DEFENCE

Alex Witherden, Lions ($585K, 75 BE, 2.8% ownership)
The Lions jet has been an awesome fantasy player ever since he debuted. He saved plenty of coaches late last year ending the season with some handy scores and he might be ready to do it again. If you are chasing a consistent unique in defense then Witho is your guy.

Jeremy Howe, Magpies ($589K, 106 BE, 2.99% ownership)
For a while, it was Howe’s teammate Jack Crisp who was turning heads. All the while the highlight machine was ticking away racking up consistent scores. He is right in the mix to be a top-6 defender and it might be time to turn your attention back his way.

Draft Sleeper – Hayden Crozier, Bulldogs ($493K, 36 BE, 1.17% ownership)
Full warning if Matt Suckling comes back into the team than Crozier’s scores might dry up. If not then he (Crozier) could be a nice late season add from the scrap heap. He has averaged 94.5 points in the last month without Suckling, so it’s at least worth keeping your eye on the former Docker.

MIDFIELD

Dayne Beams, Lions ($706K, 95 BE, 5.6% ownership)
If you are a SportsbyFry fan than you’ll know I’m all in on Dayne Beams. After being burned last week for overlooking him I think he’ll come in this week for me. A lot of other coaches are eager to make the same move after his huge 133 on the weekend. Don’t think twice.

Scott Pendlebury, Magpies ($680K, 99 BE, 5.84% ownership)
Mr Consistent is once again being overlooked. At this point of the season players like Pendlebury and Gaff are starting to emerge as incredible investments because they rarely *touch wood* have an off game. Shit, I’ve just jinxed him, don’t trade in Pendlebury.

Draft Sleeper – Tim Kelly, Cats ($553K, 58 BE, 28.34% ownership)
You know what? Bringing Kelly into your midfield for draft might not be as crazy as it seems. There is a real possibility that Kelly will still be available on your free agent list and if so he might be a nice heartbeat on the pine in case something goes wrong. He seems destined to be good for around 90 for the rest of the year as well, which is more than adequate.

Image result for scott pendlebury

RUCK

Todd Goldstein, Roos ($627K, 65 BE, 3.85% ownership)
If for whatever weird reason you wanted to end with only one of the big three (Grundy, Gawn, Stef) then you better make your other ruckman Goldstein. Remember there were times we talked about him as a potential pig and he is starting to show those tendencies again. Get around him.

Draft Sleeper – Majak Daw, Roos ($328K, 47 BE, 2.31% ownership)
If you are desperate then the born-again defender Majak Daw could plug a hole in your draft team. He won’t be a long-term option, but he could provide you with an emergency bench option or cover an immediate injury until you find another solution. Slim pickings.

FORWARD

Luke Bruest, Hawks ($601K, 31 BE, 2.09% ownership)
You couldn’t do it, could you? Luke Bruest had a monster score last week which raised the eyebrows of coaches everywhere. His outburst against the Bulldogs was huge, but not incredibly surprising. The Hawks forward had scored over 95 in all three games prior and he is starting to shape up as an actual option. Watch this space.

Kane Lambert, Tigers ($547K, 75 BE, 0.33% ownership)
I have received a few questions about Kane Lambert lately and even if I’m not a believer his numbers are forcing my hand. With a juicy run on the horizon and a few noteworthy scores indicating he’s warming up, Lambert might just be the real deal. I’m wary, but then again I’ve been wrong before.

Draft Sleeper – Hugh McCluggage, Lions ($525K, 49 BE, 1.91% ownership)
Another name who is generating some buzz is Lions youngster Hugh McCluggage. Priced at an awkward spot, he could still offer some upside if he goes big this weekend. However, with price no issue, pouncing on him in draft is more than acceptable.

The Three Big Questions Of Round 17

Is Andrew Gaff A Must Have?
At this point in the season, you don’t want to be bringing in players who aren’t bonafide studs that you’ll be keeping. Andrew Gaff is guaranteed to be a popular trade in target after a huge fortnight, with his numbers making him the form player of the comp. West Coast seems to be hitting their straps and are poised to get some big names back soon. This aides Gaff’s fantasy cause and it’s hard to see a better midfielder upgrade right now.

Will Danger Gain FWD Status?
By the time this article is being read the game between the Cats and Crows would have likely tipped off, or if not it’s very close to. Dangerfield gaining forward status as a new batch of dual positioners are released next week could be on the line. If he returns to a midfield dominant role then he might stay in your midfield and to be honest, another low score might mean curtains for a lot of coaches.

If Not Tom Mitchell Then Who?
With Tom Mitchell showing signs of mortality, a lot of coaches are looking around for other choices as captain this week. Two premier ruckmen offer some of the best prospects with Stef Martin against a McEvoy-less Hawks outfit and Max Gawn against the measly Dogs division. Both are interesting choices and a loophole score of 120+ might change our opinions. If you still have doubt, then back in Big Maximus.

Image result for max gawn

Back From The Dead

Dale Thomas, Blues (101) – Take a bow Daisy, not getting enough credit for his season. Now stay on the park.

Darcy Byrne-Jones, Power (95) – Back in the good books.

Scott Selwood, Cats (85) – Is always capable of tackling his way to 120+.

Matthew Kreuzer, Blues (105) – With Carlton’s season effectively done don’t rule out Kruz being put on ice.

Logan Austin, Saints (69) – For the coaches out there with Rice still on your bench. You traded the wrong Saint.

Good luck for Round 17!

Peace ✌

Got a question that needs answering? Feel free to leave a comment below or message me on Twitter @fry______ and I’ll get back to you!

1. Dan

July 12, 2018 at 2:41 pm

Thought on Cutler as a roughy from here?

• Simon

July 12, 2018 at 2:46 pm

In and out of the team, though his recent form suggests he’ll hang on for at least a few more. Disposal is rubbish at times and his scores are too… he’s got a 45, 43 and 59 to his name this year.

He’s a perennial fringe fantasy player due to inconsistency, but if you reckon he’ll hold it together his ceiling’s right up there.

• Dan

July 12, 2018 at 2:59 pm

I figure he has got to be better that Burton as my D6, but I probably should go Witherden or Howe though as per the article. Best i can afford unfortunately.

• Daniel Kotronis

July 12, 2018 at 5:04 pm

I’m tempted to bring him in too. I would give him one more week just to make sure he isn’t a fluke

• Daniel Kotronis

July 12, 2018 at 5:11 pm

And he’s only missed 2 games this season. And he’s only scored under 70 on 3 occasions. Minus those 3 games, he’s had an average of 99.1.

• Fry

July 12, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Talked about him last week. Love him

2. Simon

July 12, 2018 at 2:43 pm

Depending on how he goes this week, the right Saint might be Jimmy Webster at a bit of a discount…

• Fry

July 12, 2018 at 7:43 pm

I wanted him earlier in the year, will be interesting to see how he scores against Carlton

3. John

July 12, 2018 at 3:39 pm

Thoughts on possible dpps?

• Rkovsfu

July 12, 2018 at 4:14 pm

Surely Danger

• Simon

July 12, 2018 at 4:30 pm

Lachie Hunter FWD?

• Nostro

July 12, 2018 at 5:29 pm

I think Parker before Danger….a heat mat would make an interesting comparison. I think most talk is about Danger, cause so many have been stuck with him (myself included).

And the HoFF with midfield status and not ruck, I can’t get my head around that. Yup, I’ve got him also & happy with that selection sitting in the forward line. Sure the guy roams and is having a cracker season, but a mid? I don’t think he is. He collects those possessions when he’s playing in the ruck. Also, he was given DPP when Ryder was injured and was rucking more (than now, so it seems).

I think the DPP selections post the start of the season have been very dubious this year, but am not sure why that is?

Many midfielders push forward. If you’re in a dominant team, the likelihood is you naturally spend more time forward, as that’s where the ball is. So, does that alone give you forward status because your heat map shows you there or do you need to actually been stationed forward for a period of time and not enter the centre bounces? Same can be said for a defender. Many do their work round the midfield, but they really can’t be called midfielders. I guess Kade Simpson was a classic example from previous years when he had DPP. Hardly like he’d even venture forward.

Anyway….I could go on….so what are the exact criteria? Is every player considered, because clearly few in the overall scheme of things are given DPP and from what point in time are newly awarded DPP players being looked at?

I would have thought at the first round of DPP (after the start of the season) somebody like Dusty was well deserving. He clearly spent considerable time playing one out deep in the forward line, yet no DPP.

• Jarrod

July 12, 2018 at 5:40 pm

I asked the criteria after round 12 and the fantasy Twitter account said it would be explained on the podcast. Only time I have ever downloaded it and all it was was 3 dickheads carrying on. Get over it! Danger isn’t a forward was as close to explaining it as it got. I had gone to the cats suns game 2 days earlier and watched Danger stand in the 50 for 3 quarters of the game.

• Grovers Guns

July 12, 2018 at 6:03 pm

If Danger and/or Dusty get FWDstatus then this game is rigged and the decision makers obviously have them spudding up their midfield

• Ned kelly

July 12, 2018 at 6:10 pm

Have a cry boys

• Nostro

July 12, 2018 at 6:39 pm

Hmmmm….interesting Jarrod – the criteria wouldn’t go astray. Just makes the game totally transparent.

Cheers!

4. Roger

July 12, 2018 at 3:47 pm

I’m taking the risk on Lambo his week

• Roger

July 12, 2018 at 3:47 pm

this*

• Fry

July 12, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Braver man than me, good luck!

5. Jarrod

July 12, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Fry I know I sound like a jerk but when do you write your article each week? Austin was ruled out on Tuesday this week and I recall something similar last week too.

• Fry

July 12, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Yeah mate I write it on Thursday each week usually. I wasn’t necessarily saying Austin is a good option I just thin he stands a better chance of holding down a spot than Rice

6. Daniel Kotronis

July 12, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Great read as always Fry. Just asking for thoughts on this possible trade.

*Seedsman and Macrae —> Pendles and Witho + $152K*

Any other thoughts are welcome

Salary: $111K
    DEF: Laird, Yeo, Brayshaw, Hurley, Seedsman, Doedee (Redman, Brown)
    MID: Titch, Jelly, Macrae, Coniglio, Cripps, Taranto, Sier, Giro (Phillips, Smith)
    RUC: Gawn, Sinclair (Cameron, McInerney)
    FWD: Hoff, Smith, McLean, Franklin, Robinson, McDonald (Ahern, Battle)

As always, thanks for the help.

• Nostro

July 12, 2018 at 5:31 pm

Sounds very solid Daniel, with loot over for further movement next week!

• Bjorn

July 12, 2018 at 5:36 pm

The news this week has been that Macrae is good to go – Even if he’s not named this week, I think if you’ve held him for this long you can’t trade him out now.

• Loki

July 12, 2018 at 5:59 pm

yes you can. you always can. Sideways trading is never recommended but using it as an iron clad rule is restrictive and only good if you dont care about overall rankings.

• Bjorn

July 12, 2018 at 6:12 pm

Yeah I hear ya – I wasn’t meaning it literally, more like “if you’ve had Macrae on your bench for 3 weeks while your opponents most likely traded, I would not trade him now that he’s apparently back and you can potentially make up the ground you lost.”

• Daniel Kotronis

July 12, 2018 at 6:41 pm

Yep. Only reason why I’ve held onto Macrae for so long is because I’ve had other injuries and suspensions to sort out first. I don’t want to loose all that money I saved to get him

• Fry

July 12, 2018 at 7:48 pm

Macrae is a bit of a risk straight off the injury. Against a tough Dees outfit and with a BE of over 200 I’d wait at least a week or two on him. That kind of makes No. 2 my favourite option

7. Bjorn

July 12, 2018 at 5:41 pm

I’d look at going Redman down to $170k def or mid and seeing who you can get by upgrading Philips. Need to get Giro off your field.

• Bjorn

July 12, 2018 at 5:43 pm

Reply fail to Daniel…

8. ass2mouthcabbage

July 12, 2018 at 5:55 pm

Pendles 744k? Never

9. Jake

July 12, 2018 at 6:08 pm

Beams or Jelwood?

• Fry

July 12, 2018 at 7:50 pm

Beams

10. Dulcify

July 12, 2018 at 9:13 pm

Since when does Lambert play for the dogs?

• Fry

July 13, 2018 at 8:31 am

Yeah, nah that one was my bad. Spellcheck can’t solve that one haha

11. The Official Oscar McInerney

July 12, 2018 at 9:58 pm

for fritsch and taranto would you rather

sicily + heeney + 6k
    gus brayshaw + lambert + 50k

• Daniel Kotronis

July 12, 2018 at 10:36 pm

1 for me.

• Fry

July 13, 2018 at 8:32 am

No. 2 just

12. https://mxplayer.xyz

July 19, 2018 at 2:16 pm

If you are going for best contents like I do, only pay a visit
    this web site daily as it presents feature contents, thanks