Trade Talk

Fry’s Forgotten Few – Round 16

Slim pickings make for a tough FFF. However, it is the time of the year to take risks

The return of 22 green dots meant a lot of relief for coaches around the globe. There were plenty of big scores on offer to help us celebrate even if you took Lloyd’s loophole 125 over the monstrous performance the Notorious P.I.G. dished out. Things are starting to get tight and every trade is crucial at this time of year. With some scarce POD options, it’s time to get creative.

DEFENCE

Michael Hurley, Bombers ($571K, 80 BE, 7.75% ownership)
I’ve been pushing for Michael Hurley a few times now this season. Although he doesn’t boast the huge ceiling, Hurley’s consistency is what appeals to me. Yes, there have been a few blemishes, but you can virtually pencil him in for an 85-95 each week no sweat. Safe.

Tom Cutler, Lions ($548K, 74 BE, 0.45% ownership)
I swear I have a man crush on Cutler. I have mentioned him a few times before in the FFF, however, he has never really delivered to seriously warrant selection. Still, 200 points in two weeks has forced me to add him to the watchlist.

Draft Sleeper – Jake Carlisle, Saints ($505K, 49 BE, 0.68% ownership)
It would take a brave, BRAVE man (or women) to pull the trigger and field Carlisle in their defense. Credit where credit is due, the Saints utility has had a great last few weeks. If Austin comes back into the fold that could change things though…

MIDFIELD

Taylor Adams, Magpies ($615K, 95 BE, 1.84% ownership)
Is Adams back? One of the hottest questions in the league right now is if we can trust his numbers from the past month and a bit. I think we have enough of a sample size now to show this is no fluke and while we won’t be feasting on 120’s every week, Adams is severely underpriced if he can average over triple digits from here on out.

Marc Murphy, Blues ($744K, 112 BE, 4.59% ownership)
Call it a hunch, call it a gut feeling but I’m very tempted to get on Marc Murphy. When he’s on the park there’s no denying he can put up numbers. However, injury has derailed his 2018 campaign and I’ll need to see him string some games together before he joins the Large Fry’s & Coke. Monitor his progress though.

Draft Sleeper – Jack Trengove, Power ($395K, 37 BE, 1.19% ownership)
Trengove’s awkward price makes him tough to grab in classic. For your draft league though, well that’s an entirely different story. Trengove is a great gamble to take this late in the year if you need to hit gold from the scrap heap. Do it before someone else in your league does.

Image result for jack trengove power

RUCK

Rhys Stanley, Cats ($558K, 65 BE, 1.21% ownership)
Who knew Rhys Stanley could fantasy football? Either side of the bye the big Cat has messed around and scored in triple figures, raising the eyebrows of coaches. While I’m not optimistic these numbers will continue, stranger things have happened.

Draft Sleeper – Sean Darcy, Freo ($554K, 88 BE, 0.28% ownership)
Once again, someone who is priced at a weird spot is ruled out of our classic teams. With Aaron Sandilands’ calf playing up though Darcy will probably get much more game time now he is healthy during Freo’s run home. In fact, I wouldn’t rule out Sandi being put on ice ASAP, giving Darcy an intruiging half a dozen games for the run home.

FORWARD

Ed Langdon, Freo ($630K, 95 BE, 3.26% ownership)
I was worried that Langdon’s numbers would dip when the Hill brothers returned to the fray. I still might be right, but while I’m busy waiting for that to come true Langdon has racked up points like it’s nobody’s business. With Fyfe down, he’ll stay hot for the foreseeable future.

Josh Dunkley, Bulldogs ($547K, 75 BE, 0.33% ownership)
Want to get really creative? Invest in Dogs youngster Josh Dunkley and don’t look back. With Isaac Heeney (more on him soon) and Robbie Gray on the chopping bloke for a lot of coaches, Dunk could be an appealing and unique choice.

Draft Sleeper – Mark Hutchings, Eagles ($502K, 58 BE, 4.79% ownership)
After his hot start to the season, Hutch has cooled (duh) and as a result, a lot of coaches jumped off the wagon. He did throw up a 114 against the Crows though and if he has another decent score then he could warrant a bench spot in your MID/FWD line.

The Three Big Questions Of Round 16

Which Rook Do I Grab, Sier Or Narkle?
To be honest, I missed a lot of the Cats game, so this opinion might be a bit biased. I saw the all the impressive numbers and read about all the midfield time he played. Yet, I still think I like Sier more based on the injury to Adam Treloar. With him out, Sier has better job security in my mind over Narkle. If you are in a position to grab both that could work, but if you want one go Sier.

To Hold Or Trade Heeney?
One week injuries are a scary prospect for fantasy coaches. Are they really only going to be out for one week? Or will we be facing another Josh Kelly scenario? Isaac Heeney’s case is a little different with a concussion causing his absence against Geelong. All signs point to him making a triumphant return in Round 17 and as an owner, I think it’s wise to hold.

Is It Time To Sell Bayley Fritsch?
For the first time this season fantasy rookie of the year Bayley Fritsch went down in price. For roughly a quarter of the competition, Fritsch has been an awesome cash cow and virtually puts up reliable premium-ish numbers. All good things come to an end though and after dipping slightly in price it might be time to offload the Dees youngster. With a breakeven of 96 it might be wise, but he survives for another week in my team.

Image result for bayley fritsch s.afl.com.au

Back From The Dead

Rory Laird, Crows (102) – Welcome back!

Jack Trengove, Power (92) – Put him on your watchlist.

Michael Walters, Freo (73) – I stuck my neck out for you Mick. Need a 90+ this week.

Rory Sloane, Crows (68) – What a bizarre season from Sloane. Will he stay or go?

Mitch Robinson, Lions (65) – The Lions shared the joy around against Freo. He’ll be better this week.

Rory Lobb, Giants (57) – What a letdown Lobb has been this season.

Good luck for Round 16!

Peace ✌

Got a question that needs answering? Feel free to leave a comment below or message me on Twitter @fry______ and I’ll get back to you!

1. Marcus

July 5, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Have plans for Fritsch as next week I’ll downlown him for Narkle then I can finalize my backline by bringing in a topline def ( Brayshaw, Goodard or Simpson ) and that will be my team b4 I start upgrading players.

• Fry

July 6, 2018 at 7:46 am

Yeah next week he might go for me too. Sad to see the back of him, but a necessary evil.

2. Owen

July 5, 2018 at 5:14 pm

McCluggage? In some good form

• Fry

July 6, 2018 at 7:48 am

Should be good this week, but there are a few tricky games coming up for the Lions. If he can stand and deliver though eh’s definitely worth a shout.

3. Patrick

July 5, 2018 at 6:04 pm

Who to bring in for Fyfe? M crouch or Pendles?

• Fry

July 6, 2018 at 7:49 am

I’d pick Crouch to save the money, but if it’s no issue, lock in 105 each week in Pendles

4. matt

July 5, 2018 at 6:38 pm

What does everyone think of Shaun Higgins as a POD?

• Dan Butler For Brownlow

July 5, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Could be good, has a good run ahead going by the scale of hardness.
      However I think he could get some more attention seeing how he means so much to the Roos, especially in the next few weeks against GC and Swans, risk v reward

• Fry

July 6, 2018 at 7:50 am

Definitely hard done by to not get a shout, it came down to him and Dunkley and in hindsight I think I like Higgins more. Gun

5. Bomber Thompson

July 5, 2018 at 6:57 pm

Upgrade Austin or Rice? To Brayshaw or Laird?

• Alan J

July 5, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Rice to Laird if you can

• Fry

July 6, 2018 at 7:51 am

6. The Official Oscar McInerney

July 5, 2018 at 7:15 pm

So these are my trades at the moment

Rice to b Lynch
    Caddy to either gaff or beams

Leaning towards beams for more cash but I really Like gaff, I think beams will go pretty big this week. I tried to go rice to sier but wasn’t able to

• Fry

July 6, 2018 at 7:52 am

I love Beamer. Gaff is an awesome option, but I’d choose Beams, just

7. Tyson

July 5, 2018 at 10:29 pm

take Selwood as VC for 127 or gamble titch?

• Fry

July 6, 2018 at 7:53 am

Take it, don’t get greedy for what could only be a 20-30 point gain…or worse

8. j

July 5, 2018 at 11:12 pm

Hindsight ‘phew’ … glad I backed out of bringing in Narkle this week. Not happy that I went Simpson over Lloyd….

• the cricket

July 5, 2018 at 11:23 pm

If you were only getting Narkle to sit on your bench the it wouldn’t have been a bad move – his BE was so low his price has increased nicely. And he actually played a quite a decent game and will hopefully hold his spot.
      Don’t judge your premos on the basis of one game – Simpson could score just as well for you!

• j

July 5, 2018 at 11:52 pm

I’m not worried so much about Simpson – it’s more like this: 1 of my main pre-lockout choices was bringing in both Lloyd & Simpson, which meant moving Brayshaw/Whitfield into MIDs to cover. I’m basically kicking my self for this because the rationale came down to assessing Lloyd’s BE of 99, as something he >50% was unlikely to achieve (according to footywire stats), and I thought that I should have just the right amount coin to get him next week if he scored 90-105. Now gotta get creative about finding coin for next week, as my current bench fattened rookies are mostly losing coin these days…

Also, Narkle would have been on ground for me this week, covering for Heeney with DPP as that scenario – hence glad it didn’t happen. The poossible scenario was downgrading Narkle in this week, allowing for double premo upgrades next week. I realised with so much week-week carnage, such a plan would be foiled.

• j

July 7, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Wow – this trade just choice just got better for me. Simpson late out FMDT

9. andrew007

July 6, 2018 at 8:05 am

Fry what do yo see merrett averaging from here on last 3 111, last 5 107 and prices at 683k, could he be a better option than gaff etc if he can keep those numbers up? I heard that crouch has a fracture in his hand but has been cleared to play so am a bit unsure on him if his hand didn’t hold up, cheers

• Fry

July 6, 2018 at 12:28 pm

I’m wary of Crouch’s hand as well now. I think it’s wise to wait a week. As for Merrett, he’s been in my bad books all year. However, he looks good now and if he can deliver this week against the Pies he’s an awesome cheap alternative to Gaff

10. subdub

July 6, 2018 at 9:48 am

Need to trade out Fyfe but stuck between Kelly & Gaff? GWS have the tougher run but Kelly can handle a tag better.

• Fry

July 6, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Gee that’s a tough one. I think I’d side with Kelly, but boys it’s close

11. Miyagi-san

July 6, 2018 at 3:49 pm

Fry – another great article mate. Holding Heeney for 1 wk, but boosting fyfe and Fritsch (Had planned on it being ronke, but got stuck at work so best laid plans…)

Looking at bringing in both a top line mid and top line def- premos currently in each line are:
    Titch, j.kelly, gaff, Coniglio, McLean, e. curnow for mids. laird, sic, whit and yeo for def.

Currently thinking m.crouch and simpson+199k.

Convince me if any other better combos?

• Fry

July 6, 2018 at 7:40 pm

I’d be wary of getting Crouch this week with his ‘injured’ hand even though he’s playing. The near $200K you save makes it worth it though I guess.