Trade Talk

Roy’s Trade Talk: Rd 16

See the rolling 22.

• Roy

Injuries ruined an otherwise awesome round for some this week, but for those that avoided, a double downgrade is in play on the back of a couple of impressive rooks.

Trade Targets: Price, BE, Score

• Kade Simpson (DEF, $686,000) 88, 112. Was ruled out by a few this season due to his age but he has certainly defied father time’s wishes as in in fact the equivalent to a fine wine. On the weekend he bumped his season average over 100 on the back of a three round average of 117 and five round average of 111. In the next two he has games against the Lions and Saints which should provide a couple more ‘special day’s for Kade’.
  • Andrew Gaff (MID, $748,000) 104, 148 I have disrespected this man for far too long, he is a jet and a worthy target despite his hefty price tag. I also like the fact he is owned by less than 10% of the competition despite his 111 average for the season and we have seen his impressive ceiling this year with two scores over 140. This week he plays the Giants who have been giving up huge numbers lately including 195 from Tich last week.
  • Taylor Adams (MID, $615,000) 95, 101 is as cheap a s he is going to get, dropping $193,000 since the start of the season. He is a nice unique target, owned by just 2% of the competition, amazing really for someone who elevated themselves to elite premium status last year. He looks set to benefit heavily from Adam Treloar’s injury and was one of the few who managed 100 for the Pies on the weekend. Things are on the up for Adams, bargain.
  • Luke Shuey (MID, $509,000) 75, 114 is down $187,000 from his starting price, partly due to form issues but his injury in round seven on just nine points was the main factor. He has been back for three games now and after starting slowly in his first two back, he went bang on the weekend with a season high 114 from 26 touches and six tackles. A viable risk for the cash starved.
  • Jaeger O’Meara (MID, $648,000) 79, 106 has flicked the switch and is certainly to look like the star he was always destined for. He is in a career best stretch of form with four hundreds in his last five games which gives his and average of 106 in that time with three scores over 110. He plays the Dogs, Lions, Blues and Dockers in the next month… Which one is he going under 100 there?!
  • Ed Langdon (FWD/MID, $630,000) 95, 112 is having a career year, which could go to the next level given his form and the absence of Nat Fyfe. The youngster is a nice unique, owned by less than three % of the comp despite scoring six hundreds in the last nine games including 112, 114, 120 and 130. High risk, high reward.
  • Quinton Narkle (MID, $204,000) -14, 88 didn’t disappoint as the Cat delivered the same excitement on the big stage as we have come to expect in the VFL. He is borderline ‘must have’ following his 14 possession, four mark, six tackle and two goal performance for 88. With plenty of weeks left in the season, the need for good cash cows is alive and well.
  • Brayden Sier ($201,000) -10, 82 had a great debut for the Pies, making the most of his opportunity and doing his chances of hanging around no harm at all. He had 19 possessions while going at 84 per cent and laid an impressive six tackles to ensure his pressure acts were there. A double downgrade may be on the cards this week..

Click here to subscribe on iTunes. (Please leave a rating and review to help us move up the charts).

Rolling 22

Isaac Heeney
Toby Mclean
Justin Westhoff
Devon Smith
Sam Menegola
Tom McDonald OUT Ed Langdon IN

My trades at this stage:

Gray, Redman OUT
Narkle, Gaff IN

Cheers,
@RoyDT

1. anth80

July 3, 2018 at 7:28 am

Guys what’s better

Big O to a 170k ruck and Seedsman to either Yeo or Lloyd or Giro to Sier and Burton to Goddard?

• Alan J

July 3, 2018 at 8:29 am

Upgrading Seed and holding Burton I think would be the better option.. From what the Scale of Hardness shows, Hawthorn & West Coast (for Yeo) have a much kinder run over the next 5 than Adelaide..

Is there a way you can get Sier in and upgrade Seed to Yeo?

• anth80

July 3, 2018 at 9:35 am

No I can’t allan unfortunately.

• anth80

July 3, 2018 at 9:38 am

If I go Ahern to Sier the best I can get for Seeds is Brayshaw.
          Giro to Sier Whitfield

2. Alan J

July 3, 2018 at 8:46 am

I need to bring in a MID/FWD to cover for Heeney this week so going to upgrade T. Kelly for on of the Top 6 guys shown above..

Westhoff looks the best bet in terms of next 5 weeks, but I’m a sucker for a POD and with Fyfe down, Langdon is a very intriguing prospect..

• pavalova29

July 3, 2018 at 10:33 am

you suck at a lot of things

• Alan J

July 3, 2018 at 12:05 pm

Hahaha, GOT EEM

• Rubber Duckies

July 3, 2018 at 11:09 am

Are you trading Heeney? He’s only out one week.

• Alan J

July 3, 2018 at 12:07 pm

Nah, he’ll be moved to the MID bench so I can play Narkle or Sier and put Hoff FWD..

• Dan Butler For Brownlow

July 3, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Similar prospect for me, I’ll be holding off for one more week though on Langdon, not sure how Fyfe’s absence will affect him. If he doesn’t go well I’d probably get Gola or a defender (via Sic) seeing as consistent forward premos are pretty scarce

3. Coupla Great Daynes

July 3, 2018 at 10:51 am

Crisp: 5 rd avg 99; 3 scores under 100 since rd8

Brayshaw: 5 rd avg 113; 1 score under 100 since rd8

just saying…

• Kingzy

July 3, 2018 at 12:05 pm

+1. Brayshaws bad game he was tagging, very random and wont happen again. Besides that he has been huge.
      Id have him infront of Whitfield to.

• Callum Murray

July 3, 2018 at 3:27 pm

+1. Brayshaw very under rated!

4. Rubber Duckies

July 3, 2018 at 11:14 am

Here’s my team. I’ve got $330k in the bank. I’m benching Heeney and have some decent-ish cover. Bring in Narkle or should I double upgrade instead?

Def: LLoyd, Laird, Simpson, Doedee, Bryne-Jones, Yeo (Pearch, Smith)
    Mid: Mitch, Wingard, J. Kelly, Cripps, Merrett, Gibbs, Sier, T.Kelly (Heeney, Mutch)
    Ruc: Gawn, Martin (Frampton, McInerney)
    Fwd: Smith, McLean, Westoff, Battle, Rockliff, Gowers (Ahern, Kerr)

Thinking Byrne-Jones to Whitfield and Gowers to Sicily, or Byrne Jones to Whitfield and Mutch to Narkle.

Ideas welcome. Thanks!

• Alan J

July 3, 2018 at 12:57 pm

I’d be getting in Narkle.. This time of year, rookie downgrades are paramount to try and get some extra coin for the last few weeks

5. Dan Butler For Brownlow

July 3, 2018 at 11:51 am

Looking for a Fyfe replacement, can get any mid – currently thinking either Gaff, Heppell or Shuey.
    Gaff will average more, but Shuey and Heppell will allow me to do a big upgrade next week even if there’s another injury.
    Other trade is ZGL – Sier/Narkle.
    Cheers lads

6. Bomber Thompson

July 3, 2018 at 11:53 am

DEF: Lloyd, Yeo, Simpson, Sicily, Doedee, Rice (Smith, Austin)
    MID: Mitchell, Kelly, Sidey, Curnow, Neale, Merrett, Wingard, Sier (Guelfi, Ahern)
    RUCK: Gawn, Stef (McInerney, Cameron)
    FWD: Smith, Westhoff, McLean, Heeney, Rockliff, Gowers (Waterman, Wilson)
    Got 394k in the bank, thinking of trading Waterman to Narkle via Ahern and Austin to Laird which leaves me with 225k for Guelfi to Gaff next week. Thoughts??

• Kingzy

July 3, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Id say those traded are winning mate.
      Getting Rice off your field is priority, Laird will do that nicely

• Bomber Thompson

July 3, 2018 at 5:41 pm

Thanks Kingzy, hows your team going. I heard your round the top-250!

• Alan J

July 3, 2018 at 12:54 pm

Solid work Bomber!! Ahern against Suns should be a decent cover for Heeney..

• Bomber Thompson

July 3, 2018 at 5:41 pm

cheers al, love u

7. Kingzy

July 3, 2018 at 12:08 pm

Was going Big O – Abbott
    Nic Nat – Stef Martin

But Heeney most likely out, and my only cover Battle now out forces me to change.

Might have to get Heeney out this week
    Thinking:
    Murphy – Lynch
    Heeney – Simpson, shift Sicily forward.

Is Lobb and Simpson both playing ruck for GWS? I thought Lobb was out for a while?
    What do we think Nic Nat will score this week?

8. Grovers Guns

July 3, 2018 at 2:33 pm

Siers and Narkle sound good but won’t be able to do this week with another premo injury for a sideways swap.

Laird – Macrae – Treloar – Fyfe FMDT

Gotta use my cash so plans are Fyfe to Gaff and Rice to Whitfield (just short of Laird). Heeney DPP Ahern to field if not playing.

Next week Ronke to Laird (Sicily DPP) and downgrade Waterman to a cheapie

Please no more premo injuries and let me finish my side.

• Alan J

July 3, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Ouch.. Gaff is as consistent as they come though, not sure if anyone has played more games than him in the last few years?

• Grovers Guns

July 3, 2018 at 7:21 pm

Yep ouch but luckily I didn’t trade them in in those weeks unlike someone in my competition.
        They just stuffed up me upgrading my team and going up the rankings after a poor start.

Fyfe, Laird and Treloar I had from beginning and Macrae I got in R6

9. Rubber Duckies

July 3, 2018 at 2:49 pm

Battle being out throws a wrench in the plans.

10. Daniel Kotronis

July 3, 2018 at 2:54 pm

I have $22K and have no idea where to start. I’ve had to hold Macrae for the past weeks. I haven’t been able to finish off the team due to injuries everywhere.

DEF: Laird, Yeo, Brayshaw, Hurley, Pearce, Doedee (Redman, Brow)
    MID: T.Mitchell, Macrae, J.Kelly, Fyfe, Coniglio, P.Cripps, Seedsman, Giro (Phillips, Smith)
    RUC: Gawn, Sinclair (McInerney, Cameron)
    FWD: Smtith, McLean, Robinson, McDonald, Franklin, Taranto

• Callum Murray

July 3, 2018 at 3:22 pm

Macrae and Fyfe need to go. You can bring in basically anyone however I’d be looking for value (I.e Matt Crouch & Whitfield) as you need some cash in the bank for next week too.

• the Cricket

July 4, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Lol is your forward bench so bad you’re embarrassed to tell us?

Premo injuries are dragging us down for sure – feels a bit like shuffling deckchairs on the titanic at the moment

11. Callum Murray

July 3, 2018 at 3:07 pm

Hi all

1. Tim Smith & ZGL -> Sier & Narkle (2 rookies on field, $360k in the bank)

2. Tim Smith & ZGL -> Dusty/Shuey & Sier/Narkle (1 rookie left on field, <$50k in the bank)

• Alan J

July 3, 2018 at 3:54 pm

No 2 in previous years would be a no brainer, but I like option 1 better at the moment.. Save the $$ and grab a keeper next week

12. TM Flex

July 3, 2018 at 5:18 pm

DEF: Laird, Yeo, Simpson, Sicily, Brayshaw, Whitfield (Rice, Redman)
    MID: Mitchell, Kelly, Fyfe, Coniglio, Neale, Merrett, Phillips, Giro (Smith, Wilson)
    RUCK: Gawn, Stef (McInerney, Cameron)
    FWD: Smith, Gray, McLean, Heeney, Rockliff, Fritsch (Clark, Ahern)

379k in the bank

Thoughts on:

Fyfe > Crouch?
    Rice > Cripps?

Leaves 48k in the bank but I’ve got Ahern, Smith and Giro to hopefully generate a bit more coin in the next few weeks. Could even go early on one of these next week to get Sier or Narkle.

13. wolfpack

July 3, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Feel like I’ve hit a road block, $0.00 cash in the bank

My priority is to get nic nat upgraded along with hibberd and smith

Appreciate some feedback

DEF: Laird, Yeo, Hibberd, Sicily, lloyd, J Smith (Heron, Pierce)
    MID: Mitchell, Coniglio,Merrett,Gaff, Cripps, Ablett, Sidebottom, Dangerfield,(Ahern, Giro)
    RUCK: Gawn, Nic Nat (Crossley, Cameron)
    FWD: Smith, McLean, Heeney, Rockliff, Menegola, Fritsch (Clark, Wilson)

• TM Flex

July 3, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Start with a doouble downgrade? Crossley to Abbot and Giro to Sier?

That should give you about 170k which can get you Stef Martin next week.

However, I honestly think getting J Smith out of your team is more of a priority than upgrading Nic Nat.

NN to Stef Martin in maybe 30pts a week whereas Smith to say Simpson is more like 60pts a week.

You, like me, have been burnt by Clark and Wilson. Sad times!

• wolfpack

July 3, 2018 at 9:26 pm

giro still making money so its a waste right now

• Callum Murray

July 3, 2018 at 11:17 pm

What about Fritsch down to Sier via Ahern DPP and then Nic Nat to Grundy?

• the Cricket

July 4, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Fritsch to Sier gives you a new cow for ongoing cash generation and the immediate cash to improve your team by bringing in Grundy. Solid trades!

I’d suggest doing at least one downgrade each round if you can to keep the momentum going – especially when there are new rooks coming thru (not always the case hey)

• wolfpack

July 4, 2018 at 7:13 pm

agreed guys hard to part ways with fritsch, has been a gun

14. smile

July 3, 2018 at 6:43 pm

Play Hoff and Sier or M crouch and Ahern?

Plus heard that Nic Naitanui didn’t train today. Any news that he won’t play?

• wolfpack

July 3, 2018 at 6:57 pm

No news here in Perth, was only a skills session at Subiaco oval so I would say it’s typical for him to miss. Just being managed

• smile

July 3, 2018 at 7:22 pm

Thanks

Play Hoff and Sier or M crouch and Ahern?

• wolfpack

July 3, 2018 at 8:27 pm

M crouch and Ahern

15. Belly

July 3, 2018 at 9:56 pm

Which 2 of these would you field?
    Ahern, Giro, Gowers, Sier,

16. McGlovins

July 4, 2018 at 10:17 am

Ed Langdon or McLean?

• Bradelz

July 4, 2018 at 10:31 am

Mclean

17. Bradelz

July 4, 2018 at 10:30 am

What a week hey. So wondering whether i should go Fyfe to Crouch and Cunico to Adams for the points or Fyfe to Cripps and get in Seir for the cash.
    Will probs field Ahern to cover heendog

18. smile

July 4, 2018 at 5:05 pm

Crouch or Hoff?

19. Mittens

July 4, 2018 at 9:35 pm

Did anyone watch the Freo game? any reason (other than saying hes crap) for Luke Ryans shocker?

20. Sam

July 4, 2018 at 9:40 pm

Menegola or Westhoff?

21. chief007

July 4, 2018 at 9:49 pm

what do people see merrett averaging from here on last 3 111, last 5 107 and prices at 683k, couldhe be a better option than gaff etc if he can keep those numbers up and use the cash to upgrade elsewhere? cheers

22. Dave

July 4, 2018 at 10:13 pm

Thinking of 3 different trades, thoughts?

1) Fyfe to Coniglio & Heeney to Sic Dog
    Sier at M8, 19k left

2) Fyfe to Duncan & Heeney to Westhoff,
    Joel Smith at D6, 0k left

3) Fyfe to Shuey & Fritter to Brayshaw with Ahern covering Heeney.
    Sier & Ahern onfield, 98k left

After the first trade my team would be this.

DEF:Laird, Yeo, Lloyd, Simpson, Sicily, Hurley (Smith, Cumming)
    MID:Titch, Gibbs, Cogs, Curnow, Neale, Zerrett, Crouch, Sier (Wilson, Shipley)
    RUC:Gawn, Stef Martin (Cameron, Flynn)
    FWD:Smith, McLean, Rocky, Fristch, Wingard, De Goey (Ahern, Murphy)

23. andrew007

July 4, 2018 at 10:31 pm

3 heeney should only miss a week ud think

• Plugger

July 5, 2018 at 9:53 am

Yes, Heeney should be off the pitch for just the one week, but if you have been following the return of concussed players this year, it strongly tends to diminished performance for a couple of weeks after their return. The prime example was Zerett, but there are several other fantasy relevant instances. So only expect Heeney to be half on the pitch at least for one, maybe two weeks after returning. Heeney plays the Roos (hard nuts) and then The Suns (soft nuts) if he returns after just one week. Your call. I am currently keeping Heeney, but will feel a lot of self-imposed pressure to trade him out, before lockout.

• Aaron

July 5, 2018 at 10:42 am

Zerrett and Cogs are huge warning signs and im glad Im not the only one wary of post concussion symptoms!

However, Heeney is definitely worth holding due to his FWD status. He may go around 70 for a couple of weeks, then (hopefully) back into 95+ average heading into finals, still firmly a top 6 forward.

• Alan J

July 5, 2018 at 11:22 am

Think I’m going to keep him, but that means I can only get Robbo or Buddy or Hoges or take a wildcard/hailmary shot that Billings is back to his best..

• Ash

July 5, 2018 at 2:54 pm

This is a good call but I’m comforted a bit by the fact he has the Sunday game next weekend – so 17 days after he was concussed. Hoping that should be enough time to see him back to normal

24. Mad Fish

July 5, 2018 at 7:40 am

Advice for trades would be great!

DEF: Yeo, Brayshaw, Whitfield, Hurley, Savage, Doedee, (Redman, Ridley)
    MID: Titch, Gaff, Neale, Zerrett, Tom Phillips, Danger, Parker, Heeney*, (T Kelly, J Smith)
    RUCK: Gawn, Nank, (McInerney, Cameron)
    FWD: Smith, Westhoff, McLean, Sicily, Wingard, Taranto, (Apeness, Ahern)
    $162k remaining

Got a couple of options, with all of them involving Redman to Sier/Knarkle as the first trade. However, I am undecided on the second trade:

Option 1:
    Heeney –> the other one of Sier/Knarkle for a double upgrade next week (means I’ll be playing Kelly and Doedee)

Option 2:
    Heeney –> Laird/Lloyd/Simpson (leaving me with Kelly as my only rookie on and Doedee as bench cover)

Option 3:
    Heeney –> Cogs/Gibbs/Sidey/Cripps (leaving me with Doedee as my only rookie on and Kelly as bench cover)

Option 4:
    Taranto/Savage —> Heppell/Adams/Shuey (with Doedee and Ahern on the ground and Kelly as bench cover)

What does everyone think the best option is?

• Alan J

July 5, 2018 at 8:49 am

I like No 2 with Laird..

Laird is an upgrade to Heeney even when they’re fit and Kelly has been going 90+ the last 3 weeks and had 82 on Swans earlier this year, which is not bad for your only playing rookie. He also has probably 15-20k to make after his 119 last week.

25. Alan J

July 5, 2018 at 8:43 am

Anyone worried about Heeney’s scoring ability post concussion? I can get in Hoff as cover, but would need to part with T.Kelly who I’m keen to hold on..

1. Trade Heeney to Hoff/McLean/Gola with plenty of $$ left
    2. Bench Heeney and Trade Kelly to Hoff/McLean/Gola with minimal $$ left
    3. Bench Heeney, Hold Kelly and Trade Brayshaw to Robbo/Frankling/Hogan with so-so $$ left

• Plugger

July 5, 2018 at 10:09 am

The point about post concussion performance must be taken into account. Think Zerrett earlier in the season, but there are other weaker performing post concussion examples too. I have Heeney and I will be making my decision on whether to keep or trade on the basis that he is zero points this week and reduced points next week if he returns as expected (Swans play Roos (hard nuts) next week).

26. Plugger

July 5, 2018 at 12:03 pm

If I do trade Heeney this week, it will be to bring in Shuey or Dusty (best options with currently limited cash) to max my points this week for a crucial league game, and also to take advantage of the low current BE of Shuey and Dusty over Heeney.

But who of Shuey and Dusty to bring in (both of whom, for their price per points I would be comfortable with – certainly over someon like Robbie Gray)?

• Plugger

July 5, 2018 at 12:04 pm

I have already gone Witts to Gawn with first trade – hence limited cash for any second trade.

27. j

July 5, 2018 at 11:40 pm

Guessing Ablett is rolling straight out of this rolling 22 after that turd 50 he put up?