The Friday Scramble

The Friday Scramble: Round 14 (MBR 3)

We finally got to the last of our bye rounds, but it is also the second of our run of Thursday night games which means we have a captain loophole we can play! Did anyone post a score good enough for it last night? Let’s look at it all as we Scramble!!

We’ve done it! We have made it to the last of the dreaded bye rounds and I  for one am bloody happy about that! I have had a terrible time in the byes this year whereas normally I do quite well. I think the issue we have had this year is that we have had so many of our premiums we were relying on either get injured or suspended during this time and some of the rookies we thought were locks were getting dropped. It has been an absolute nightmare, but as I said it is all over after this week thankfully. So let’s have a look at the mess we have to deal with this week and let’s do our best and scramble!

Captain’s Loophole

Another Thursday means another chance for the loophole. Who did you take?  Did you take Calvin’s suggestions, if you did then here is how they went and what you should do. But first, no wonder tipping footy is so bloody hard, certainly didn’t see that first half from the Bombers coming, impressively they were able to hold it for the rest of the game and get the win.

Elliot Yeo – 117
Andrew Gaff – 114
Zach Merrett – 103

None of these scores really meet what we need. Ordinarily in a multi bye round we would take 117, but with the Pig playing in his UTAS pen you just need to take him. He will go nuts against the hapless Suns, I think we needed a score of 125+ to take the VC score this week. Given Yeo was the top scorer I won’t be taking anyone from this game.

Jack Macrae…. Oh No!

There’s nothing worse in this game than selling the farm to bring a bloke in only to have him go out injured a week or two later. And to make matters worse he had a low score which means he has dropped in value. We are just lucky that he came from such a high base. This meant that you can basically get in anyone you want for him. The question is should you be trading him out? In AF there is no question to answer, yes you must trade. With two trades a week and we are already struggling for numbers this week he is a must trade.

In Supercoach and RealDreamTeam the answer is basically the same. We have been told it is going to be three to four weeks and to top that off one of those is one of the nastier multi bye rounds. Our golden rule is usually more than two weeks says trade. Given it is a soft tissue injury we are always unsure as to how long they can take and then once they come back we don’t know how long it will take them to get back to peak form.

So, who do you bring in? Well that will really depend on who you have in your team already. Given his price you can get pretty much anyone and hence just take the best player available that you don’t have and that isn’t on the bye this week. My top picks would be Mitchell (but you all have him right?), Treloar, Oliver maybe or even Coniglio if you traded him out earlier. But really there is plenty of options out there. With DPP you can do a heap of different options.

Selection Table

As usual team selection has given us joy and heartache! Let’s have a look at the key ones.

Tim Smith returns!  Hoorah!!  This will certainly help some of us this week.
Charlie Spargo is out! Booo!! I am sure I wasn’t the only one hoping that he would hold his spot. I am going to hold him I think as he does provide that mid/fwd option and should come back in at some stage hopefully.
Coniglio comes back in after that concussion. We all knew he would return after their bye and should slot straight back in to that midfield.
Jeremy Finlayson is back in the side but I think most teams have traded him out by now.
Toby McLean isn’t in or out, he held his spot, but I would be very concerned as to him being a late out though. I won’t be trading him, but it is a risk.
Aaron Naughton returns. Do you still have him? A bit of good luck to you if you do!

To be honest there wasn’t a great deal of big news in the ins and outs this week.

Partial Lockouts

There seemed to be a bit of confusion last week from some people about the way the partial lockouts work. In RDT and SC it is pretty simple. All trades are now sticky. You can’t reverse any trades even if the players haven’t played yet.

In AF you can still reverse trades today but ONLY if they don’t involve one of the players that played last night. Now if you have made one trade involving a player from last night that made you money that you needed to do a trade that doesn’t involve those two teams then that can’t be reversed either.

Things to Remember

• Don’t destroy your team for a few points. If it means trading out someone you want to keep to cover a donut that will only get 30-50 points, make sure you have a strategy to fix it. You don’t want to destroy your team chasing a few points this week.
  • Before making a drastic trade, check your opponent’s team. You may not need to do something if they can’t field a full side.
  • Only 6 rounds now til finals start, time to be setting your team up for that finals campaign.

Good luck this week everyone and I for one am looking forward to having a full side to pick from next week.  Have a great weekend and see you all next Friday!

1. AF Rising Star

June 22, 2018 at 7:46 am

Treloar or Kelly?

• Sam

June 22, 2018 at 8:08 am

Feel like Kelly has a bigger ceiling so go him

• AF Rising Star

June 22, 2018 at 10:17 am

r u by any chance Sam Cowell?
        Getting Kelly atm now, cheers

2. David C

June 22, 2018 at 7:49 am

Can’t help but think that WC are going to head south from here. Hard to see where the goals are going to come from.

• Alan J

June 22, 2018 at 8:07 am

Brander was a shoe in for 5 goals if Simpson stuck with him..

• Miyagi-san

June 22, 2018 at 9:12 am

I know right Alan?? If nothing else at least he knows last night cant be pinned on him… hoping he comes back for mcinnes (or anyone) next week

• Grovers Guns

June 22, 2018 at 9:49 am

Nothing to do with their forwards missing (Essendon had Daniher and others out as well).
      They got absolutely smashed in the centre and backline.
      Shuey is doing his best to take the downhill skier award away from Jetta

• The Cricket

June 22, 2018 at 3:06 pm

• Freo suck

June 24, 2018 at 5:57 pm

lol- typical freo scum response. Won the inside 50s drookick so if we had targets would of been no worries. Not too mention it was 2 goals 16 at one stage. Have fun in your 20 year rebuild that never ends.

3. Sam

June 22, 2018 at 8:07 am

Oliver or Pendlebury/Phillips?

• Simon

June 22, 2018 at 11:04 am

Oliver and Pendles will be in my team for the GF. Not Phillips tho

• Plugger

June 22, 2018 at 1:09 pm

I think only the crystal ball or a bottomless bankroll or my own private thug pack of ‘tanking-persuaders’, could provide me with the confidence my team would be in the GF in my home league. It is a tough league.

Is there another way? Because I would be more confident, at that point, that Pendles and Oliver would be amongst the most dependable of troops to have fighting for the flag, when the flag was on the line.

4. Chris

June 22, 2018 at 8:09 am

Wingard or Whitfield?

• Miyagi-san

June 22, 2018 at 9:03 am

I like Whit long term but if you are at the pull out all stops and hope for a miracle stage Wingard could be a wildcard!

5. Miyagi-san

June 22, 2018 at 9:02 am

The end is nigh- huzzah! Have been able to get 18 on field exactly each week through some minor miracle and am thinking of culling some under premos at long last. Currently thinking:

ManOSeed, Dusty, Parker OUT
    J.Smith and 2 of Jelly/Steele/Treloar IN.

Leaves me with just 5 rooks left on field (Rice/Austin/J.Smith/Fristch/Billings) with one of them turning into Fyfe next week.

Thinking Jelly and Treloar +58k is best bet?

• Miyagi-san

June 22, 2018 at 9:09 am

Leaves post byes team at:
      Laird Yeo Sic Whit Rice Austin (Pearce Brander)
      Titch Conig Curnow Treloar Jelly Gaff McLean J.Smith (Giro Clarke)
      Max Stef (Crossley Cameron)
      Heeney Gray Rocky Devon Fritsch Billings (Ronke Ahern)

6. Marcus

June 22, 2018 at 9:03 am

Bringing in Whitfield this week. As of next week I can start upgrading Mid Price Mids (E Langdon, Boak, Daisy, Redden) and Ruckman Jacobs.

Hoping this weeks break helps S Jacobs and next week he gets 100+, then I’ll be keeping him.

96K left in Bank

• Miyagi-san

June 22, 2018 at 9:10 am

Whit could be tasty this week vs bris- enjoy!

7. Brett

June 22, 2018 at 9:14 am

Hey guys,

Who to bring in DEF?

A) Whitfield ($638k BE 79)
    B) Crisp ($688k BE 101)

8. Nathan

June 22, 2018 at 9:16 am

Hi guys,

Pick one from each group
    Whitfield or Wines
    Phillips or Crisp

• Grovers Guns

June 22, 2018 at 9:50 am

Wines & Crisp

• AF Rising Star

June 22, 2018 at 10:20 am

Whitfield & Crisp.
        Btw I cant see Wines keeping his scoring up

• Alan J

June 22, 2018 at 10:41 am

I have Whitfield already, but I’d be going Wines & Crisp

9. Whitelies

June 22, 2018 at 10:42 am

What option would you pick?
    Trade Options
    Macrae -> T Phillips
    Banfield -> C Wingard (DPP to FWD line) completes my Fwd line.
    Seedsman -> A. Brayshaw
    Bank: 14k
    This gives me 19 playing. All absolute guns and hopefully gives me a vital league win this week

Macrae -> T Phillips
    Seedsman -> A. Brayshaw
    Rice – J. Smith
    Bank: 321k
    Great for a future upgrade and gives me plenty of money to upgrade Banfield to complete my midfield next week.

• Simon

June 22, 2018 at 11:13 am

Of those, I like #2 better.

Having said that, I don’t reckon people should bring in either Brayshaw or Phillips. They have minimal upside unlike Chingard, and don’t have the pedigree of similarly priced, bona fide premos like Danger, Neale, Duncan or Pendles (who are either cheaper or similar price).

If you like risk, go for it. But if last week’s scores by Brayshaw and Phillips don’t give you a taste of what may be in store, who am I to try to stop you?

10. Mad Fish

June 22, 2018 at 11:06 am

Picking a mid for Spargo is a very hard job. Narrowed it down to 4:

Coniglio (got rid of him a couple of weeks and am worried about his output after a concussion)
    Oliver (playing really well, but can he keep it up)
    Sidebottom (looking the safest, but he just doesn’t excite me)
    Phillips (excites me a lot, but is definitely the high risk option here, good POD though)

Which player would guys pick?

• Simon

June 22, 2018 at 11:14 am

Oliver or Sidey… probably Oliver

• baldrick

June 22, 2018 at 4:32 pm

11. nkthegunner12

June 22, 2018 at 11:27 am

Trade in Treloar, Kelly or Coniglio?

12. Matt

June 22, 2018 at 11:32 am

Pendlebury or Oliver?

Take out a Pendles injury score and he’s averaging 108 which is pretty much top 8

Oliver going at 107

Not much in it, hard to split

• baldrick

June 22, 2018 at 4:36 pm

I’m Oliver atm, but it’s close

13. The Official Oscar McInerney

June 22, 2018 at 11:39 am

pick one of sidey/kelly/pendles/wines
    and one of mcdonald and whitfield

14. Tom

June 22, 2018 at 12:52 pm

Oliver and Whitfield
    V
    Kelly and Wingard?

15. Thrice

June 22, 2018 at 1:40 pm

Don’t see the hype in Tom Phillips.

The guy is priced at a premium and he really doesn’t have the consistency or skill of someone like pendles, gibbs, coniglio, merrett, neale, Ablett, Oliver (all similar priced). He isnt a true mid so he tends to bomb every so often with scores such as 49, 61, 63, 67, and 72. Sure he has had a good ceiling at times but when you have a midfield of Treloar, Adams, Pendles and Sidebottom you really arent going to be on ball for the most of it.

I would personally stay away from him but that’s just me. Happy to be proven wrong.

• j

June 22, 2018 at 4:20 pm

Ignoring the score where he got concussed, I do agree with you Thrice.

People can’t ignore his last game, where he was tagged to a horrible 61 – sure any premo can be affected by a tag, but you’d prefer the premos that can scratch their way to a 80-95 under a tag than not.

16. Jess

June 22, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Went Austin to Redman last night so have $336K in the kitty.

Trade 2: Spargo > Smith

Trade 3:

Trade out either Doedee / Rice / Duman to: Simpson vs Crisp

Vs

Trade out Holman > Kelly / Cogs (but this only gives me 17 on field)

Thanks in advance

17. S&M

June 22, 2018 at 1:59 pm

Who to trade first Spargo or Rice

• j

June 22, 2018 at 4:23 pm

As both could play again next week at the soonest but aren’t guaranteed either, you’d trade out Spargo first, because he’s topped out in cash and Rice hasn’t yet.

• baldrick

June 22, 2018 at 4:35 pm

18. Hailey

June 22, 2018 at 2:22 pm

Have $840k to upgrade Spargo in mids. Who would you get?

Kelly
    Cogs
    Wines
    ????? Other suggestions?
    (Already have Treloar, Mitchell, Neale, Curnow, Zorko, Rocky and Gibbs)

Or wait until next week for Fyfe?

• Arthur Mongrel

June 22, 2018 at 3:42 pm

There all good options – but maybe Wines, just ahead of the other 2!

BE of 58 and looks set to go up in value and has a great run of home games down the stretch, which could be handy come finals time!

Also saves $80-100K for a future upgrade!

19. Splato

June 22, 2018 at 2:59 pm

Three options for my last trade this week..
    Option 1 T.kelly – J.kelly leaves 40k
    Option 2 T.kelly – J.crisp through whitters leaves 91k
    Option 3 T.kelly – T.phillips leaves 98k

Could also trade A.brayshaw instead of T.kelly in the last two options

Laird,Howe,Shaw,Sicily,Whitfield,yeo (j.smith,Austin)

Titch,treloar,curnow,westhoff,Cripps,dusty,t.kelly,a.brayshaw (k.mutch,e.phillips)

Grundy,Gawn (Cameron,frampton)

Buddy,d.smith,rocky,wingard,fritsch,ahern (ronke,Wilson)

20. Andy.J

June 22, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Only played Waterman, who has been ordinary all year, and Ryan due to the byes. Now Ryan is as ordinary as Waterman. Two 30s. Not much better than a donut.

• j

June 22, 2018 at 4:25 pm

You dropping both scores from the top 18 this week?

• baldrick

June 22, 2018 at 4:39 pm

feel that paid – had the same 2 on ground…I’ve scrambled to 20 on field to try to avoid taking either/both these scores, seriously they were awful

• j

June 22, 2018 at 7:01 pm

I have the same two duds as you guys, but 21 playing overall this week. Still, it really sucks to be using 2 out of the 3 dropped score positions straight up in the first game – doesn’t leave for a lot of wriggle room in the remaining games, especially if there are any late outs.

Holding Waterman for this reason was a fail for me, and hopefully there’s no carnage so he can get the boot next week.

• Andy.J

June 22, 2018 at 7:21 pm

Have 19 players, so I’m going to have to wear one of them.

21. Rocky Road

June 22, 2018 at 4:50 pm

Coffield > Crisp 2k left
    Or
    Martin/Parker > Treloar 180k left
    And upgrade Coffield next week
    And who goes first Dusty or Parker

22. Ash

June 22, 2018 at 4:59 pm

Thinking T.Kelly – wingard, and then savage – crisp? Thoughts?
    I can then trade out Doedee next week. Thanks!!