The Friday Scramble

The Friday Scramble: Round 11

The last chance to set your team up for the Byes. Mass changes at both the Pies and Dockers. Do I double down or upgrade this week? All those questions answered and more as we Scramble our way through another Friday!

We have now had a taste test of the bye rounds for this year, but really that one didn’t count. This is our last full week before we get three weeks of carnage to come. We have one week to set our teams up for this and hopefully you are in a good position. On top of all that we are in the midst of upgrading and downgrading our teams and trying to get to full premium as soon as we can. Rookies having a rest now is our biggest enemy. All that and a whole lot more as we get Scrambling!

Double Downgrading is all the rage!

Lots of coaches are pushing forward with a double downgrade this week and bringing in Rice and Smith. This will be a popular strategy this week with people looking to build a WarneChest for the upcoming bye rounds.

READ: The Milkmen’s Cash Cow review

There isn’t a great deal of sense bringing someone in this week that is just going to miss a game in the next four weeks. If you can build a big stack of cash you can then go bang bang bang when you get to the bye rounds and do some nice upgrading.

One thing that I would highly recommend though is to have a good long hard look at the blokes you are planning on bringing in. These are the guys that are going to need to get you through the Bye period and there is no point bringing someone in that is just as likely to get their butt kicked to the kerb over the next couple of weeks. So the thing that you need to focus on most with these downgrades is Job Security, that is the absolute key to your trades right now.

Click here to subscribe on iTunes.

Is there any point upgrading this week?

My word yes!  Have you forgotten about the original Pig!!  Tom Rockliff is one of the reasons you can do an upgrade. If you are planning to bring Rocky or one of his team-mates in like Robbie Gray then hell yes you can upgrade a player.  As you all know the Power and Suns players are going to play all three bye rounds. Over the Bye Period the Power play the Tigers, Dogs and Demons.  The game against the Dogs will be a Thursday night and hence would have a loophole available!

Image result for tom rockliff 2018

So I don’t want a Power or Suns player what do I do now?

If you don’t want one of these guys then hold your fire in the Limited Trade versions of the game and just keep downgrading in AFL Fantasy and build up that WarneChest. Your next upgrades should be happening in Round 13 and it is then that you bring in the players that have had the round 12 bye and you are dumping players from the Round 13 and Round 14 bye weeks. This way you are maximising your players on ground for the bye period. We are in a bit of a limbo period right now and it is just a bit of hold your fire.

READ: Calvin’s Captains

Under Performing Premiums

We all have a spud or two in our teams (well I am probably speaking for myself here) and we would love to get rid of these guys but we are all following the rules not trading out your premiums. But there is a time to do it.  Let’s say you have people like Sam Jacobs and Jack Billings in your side (yes I have them) and they are absolutely stinking it up for you. They both have the Round 14 bye.  So what you should be considering doing is trading them out around the byes. Obviously you need the cash to be able to do that but that is what this is all about. Strengthening your team for the run home to premiership glory!

Selection Table

As always, a quick look at the selections for this week and my thoughts on what to do with some of these players.

Nic Newman – He Lives! Only relevant for your draft sides however.

David Mirra and Mitch Lewis from the Hawks have both been Omitted which isn’t a good sign. This is the second time for Mirra now which puts his ability to cover you on the bye rounds at serious risk.

Image result for jarryd lyonsJarryd Lyons has been omitted from the Suns line up. Better now than after people may have brought him in to cover the bye rounds!

Will Brodie comes in for his first game of the season. A few were looking at him in the preseason as a solid mid pricer, I wouldn’t be touching him now.

Dom Sheed has been dropped but once again this is only Draft relevant.

Luke Shuey comes back in this week which will please those that held him.

Michael Hurley comes back also, but the key for us is that he came in for the injured Patrick Ambrose and not one of our rookies that we seem to be accumulating from the Bombers lineup.

Paul Ahern finally makes his first appearance. Worth a punt in AFL Fantasy but wait for his second game in the other formats of the game.

Sam Murray returns as one of 7 ins for the Pies this week. He is listed second last on the extended bench and Bucks did say somewhere that he could come back later in the year so don’t bank on him being in.

The Dockers have brought in 7 players also with Stefan Giro and Scott Jones named on the extended bench for their first games. Mitch Crowden joins them on that long bench.
Seedsman returns from his adductor strain along with Lachie Murphy for the Crows.

The Giants have named Sam Taylor and Brent Daniels for their first games.

Importantly though, make sure you tune in to the AFL site this afternoon around 5 AEST for those final teams as there is a heap of ins for some of these teams and it is a bit of a raffle as to who will make the final cut.

Things To Remember

• Prepare for the byes with every trade now.
  • Suns and Power are bye free in case you missed it above so go your hardest on them.
  • Rookies that will play each game over the next four weeks are worth their weight in gold. We will be relying on them to help get us to that magical 18 player mark.
  • The byes is the time to side swap any underperformers, not this week.

Enjoy the last week with 9 games in it for a while as things will get a little thin in terms of games to watch over the next three rounds after this one. We will also have some Thursday night footy coming up too so be ready to activate those loophole options!

Best of luck this round and hopefully the scores are just as big as they were last week, I know I could do with a couple more big scoring rounds!!

1. BobTheBuilder

June 1, 2018 at 2:20 pm

I’ve already done T. Kelly for Rocky.

2nd trade to bring in Tim Smith up forward, via DPP.
    Options:
    1- Dusty so I can have a cash grab. ($298,000 into the chest)
    2- Waterman as he seems to have peaked in price. ($96,000 into the chest)
    3- Sam Murray, future seems uncertain ($218,000 into the chest)
    4- Kobe Mutch, like for like trade, having to fork out an additional $12k to bring him in.

• Shags

June 1, 2018 at 2:51 pm

Sam Murray if he doesn’t make the cut.

• Bolverk

June 1, 2018 at 3:30 pm

I made that precise Mutch trade. Even if not this week, Murray seems much better chance to come back.

2. manOFsaint

June 1, 2018 at 2:33 pm

Who to field?
    Doedee or Rice
    Phillips or Cunico
    Guelfi or Spargo
    Thanks

• Shags

June 1, 2018 at 2:49 pm

Doedee, Phillips, Guelfi

• Bolverk

June 1, 2018 at 4:03 pm

This may be incorrect most weeks, but given Cunico has exceeded 90 twice, and Gold Coast seems decidedly easier than West Coast, I am benching Phillips.

3. Fooz

Fooz

June 1, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Geez. Freo’s gonna get smashed.

Fooz

June 1, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Apeness, Jones and Geeeeeeero all to come in to the side

4. the Cricket

June 1, 2018 at 2:37 pm

A point of clarification – where a player is listed on extended benches and emergency lists bears absolutely no relation to their likelihood of playing!
    Don’t make the mistake of using players’ order in these lists as a guide to their chances of making the cut for a Sunday game bench or of coming in for a late out.

Fooz

June 1, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Yeah – some teams list theirs by jumper number, some by alphabetical order, but some do order theirs in order of likelihood of playing

• the Cricket

June 1, 2018 at 3:33 pm

Yep, but the final decisions are always gonna be made dependent on factors such as other players’ form/injuries (both teams) and even the weather

5. Buzzy Bee

June 1, 2018 at 2:43 pm

While many have been talking about trading out Sam Jacobs I’mm licking my lips for him to bottom out to bring in as my R3 next week (upgrade from McInerney).

Hear me out:
    – His two sub 70 scores were (1) against Gawn, whom all rucks struggle against, in an absolute belting, and (2) the showdown where he got a knock to his back in the first quarter and played out the game really sore.
    – His other scores have been 3x70s, 2x80s, 2x100s, and 1×120. Decent, without being Grundy/Gawn crazy. .
    – He has the the round 14 bye. Paired with Gawn (13) and Naitanui (12) means I have two premo rucks playing each bye week. Gold.
    – in the round 14 bye week I can downgrade him to a rook and bank $400k to make two upgrades on other lines.

The downside I can see is it costs me $200k now that I could use elsewhere on my field, but I can’t think of a better way to use this money at the moment. I guess the other potential risk is that my explanations for Jacobs’ two poor games are wrong and he has actually turned into a potato.

Any other holes in my plan?

• Belly

June 1, 2018 at 3:33 pm

It’s not the worst idea I’ve heard, but your burning 2 trades to get him in and out plus lose McInerney as your cover and your still stuck with Nic Nat, so will burn another trade there getting him to Grundy or Martin. I think I’d prefer to use the $200 elsewhere asap and go NN to Grundy in R14.

• Belly

June 1, 2018 at 4:58 pm

Murray didn’t make, Murphy at crows did.

6. Thrice

June 1, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Who to field?
    Ronke, Gulefi or Tim Smith

Fooz

June 1, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Smith

• Shags

June 1, 2018 at 3:02 pm

Guelfi I reckon. but it’s a coin toss. Ronke vs Carlton could go well. I just think Guelfi is a tad more consistent.

• Thrice

June 1, 2018 at 3:08 pm

Cheers guys. Yeah I have Guelfi a nose ahead but was thinking Ronke could go big on carlton and Smith has backed up to games at 90. Guelfi > Ronke > Smith by a nose unless i can be convinced otherwise.

• Bolverk

June 1, 2018 at 3:57 pm

Ronke. Take out Sydney’s only loss, and scores range from 70-120.

Ceiling and consistency in that scenario both better than Guelfi, and Melbourne will not win by 90+ every week.

7. Dels

June 1, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Wanting to bring in either m crouch or a hall this week? Thoughts?

Also is it time to get rid of Robbie gray, spending less time in the middle?

• Bolverk

June 1, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Hall could be more useful over the next month, but if that is no concern, then Crouch. Neither particularly appeal.

Gray has one poor score, in part from missing all three goal attempts, which may not be representative of a long term trend. Similarly Rockliff, but given price and bye, that does not have a great deal of downside risk.

• blimp on the radar

June 1, 2018 at 4:52 pm

Last week was the week to trade gray out. When he wasn’t playing. Now you gotta keep him through byes I reckon.

8. Shags

June 1, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Seriously considering a double “sideways” culling spud rookies in my def.

Cummings > Rice
    Pearce > Austin

Not worried about bye structure, wanting to maximise cash growth and not miss out on a potential rookie bolter.

Leaves me a lil bit vulnerable to a h2h loss this week though.

• Bolverk

June 1, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Last week was a timely reminder about depth, so conceptually sound.

Concerned that Austin may be Pearce in different colours, and perhaps better options, but short term appreciation is there regardless.

9. Michael

June 1, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Trading out Sandilands / Howe for Witts / Brayshaw, could go to Grundy/ Smith…. cannot make up my mind…..I think I prefer the first…. this is RDT.

• Shags

June 1, 2018 at 3:46 pm

2nd one. Grundy best of the best, Smith must have cash cow.

• Simon

June 1, 2018 at 3:47 pm

JINX!

• Simon

June 1, 2018 at 3:47 pm

I like Grundy / Smith (assuming you mean Tim) for two reasons: 1) you get the best ruck, and 2) you get likely the best cash cow for the year

• Michael

June 1, 2018 at 5:22 pm

thanks…. that’s what I went with..

10. Hannah

June 1, 2018 at 3:54 pm

Thinking Mutch > Giro vs Ahern

and Kelly > Rocky vs Danger

• Shags

June 1, 2018 at 4:04 pm

I’m not a fan of on debut rookies. I have Cummings stinking up my bench because of just that.

Maybe choose the rookie with the best bye structure.

11. Jarrad

June 1, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Giro vs Ahern?

• Shags

June 1, 2018 at 4:05 pm

The one with best bye structure for you

12. Kate

June 1, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Rocky or Danger?

• Shags

June 1, 2018 at 4:25 pm

Rocky DPP and value for money

• The Cricket

June 1, 2018 at 6:02 pm

Rocky’s underpriced. Danger’s not.
      Plus, Rocky’s had his bye. Danger hasn’t

13. Joel

June 1, 2018 at 4:24 pm

Need some help
    Option 1:
    Murray to Rice
    Petracca to Rocky + 250k
    Option 2:
    Murray to Rice
    Petracca to McLean + 70k
    Option 3:
    Coffield to Rice
    Petracca to Rocky + 125k

Not set on Rocky yet but can’t overloook him with his price, last 2 scores and bye but note I have robbie gray aswell. Thanks guys

• Shags

June 1, 2018 at 4:27 pm

Coffield definitely out. Murray half a chance to be named…

Go Rocky, although McLean is must have, he’s at top dollar.

14. Jade

June 1, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Rioli > Smith

Kelly > Rocky vs Walters?

Thanks

• Joel

June 1, 2018 at 4:35 pm

depends how well your team is set for the byes, if you are gonna be fine come round 14 i would go walters

• Shags

June 1, 2018 at 4:46 pm

Go Rocky. You are guaranteed an extra score on field.

• Miyagi-san

June 1, 2018 at 4:48 pm

+1 shags. Rocky to play whole way through byes, and equal/greater chance of being top 6 fwd come end of season

15. loz

June 1, 2018 at 4:29 pm

After trades my bye structure (outs) are 5 / 10 / 12. How does this sound?

• Joel

June 1, 2018 at 4:36 pm

exaclty the same as mine, looking good as we can look to trade those with rd 13,14 bye to the players who had a bye in rd 12 the following week. i know this is where i plan to snag Mclean

16. Fooz

Fooz

June 1, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Sweet. Murphy made the Sunday team sheet

17. Bomber Thompson

June 1, 2018 at 5:06 pm

Pick 2 –

1) Taranto to Rockliff

2) Tim Kelly to Beams

3) Murray to Tim Smith

If I pick 1 and 2 Beams is the best mid i can get, and I feel he is getting better, but only leaves me 13k for next weeks trades. If i pick 1 and 3, it leaves me with 434k for a double upgrade last week, thoughts?

• Miyagi-san

June 1, 2018 at 5:21 pm

I like 1+3 mate – beamer playing well though, so if points are main goal and suits your byes then 1+2. Downgrades next week with extra trade to make money for rd 13? Gives you a look at Ahearn/Giro/Apeness etc

Thoughts below?

Thanks in advance

• Miyagi-san

June 1, 2018 at 5:15 pm

Smith, Spargo and Guelfi for my 2c

19. Miyagi-san

June 1, 2018 at 5:18 pm

1) Kelly/Mutch to Rocky/Giro – fielding Rock and Dow, benching Giro and Ronke. Bank: $30k
    PRO: All lines have Emergency cover (except ruck), gets rid of 1 deadwood bench rook, increase points on field, classic 1 up/1 down of rookies
    CON: Misses JS/$$ generation/points of T.Smith

OR

2) Billings/Kelly to T.Smith/Rocky – straight on field swap. Bank: $156k
    PRO: Cash in bank boost for byes, increase points on field, T.Smith JS/$$
    CON: No FWD cover (bench of rat/clarke), ?sideways of Billings (long bow to say he is a prem, but did look better last week?), bit of bench deadwood (Clarke, Rat, Mutch)

Whats the better play here?

20. Jade

June 1, 2018 at 5:23 pm

Not sure which rookies to play this week. Any help much appreciated!

Fwd – Guelfi vs Smtith
    Mid – Two out of Spargo, Phillips and Holman

Thanks!

• Miyagi-san

June 1, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Smith + Spargo/Phillips for mine mate. Some good Emergency cover nonetheless!
      Thoughts on mine?

21. Ben Cousins is innocent

June 1, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Why isnt anyone getting Heron? Bye done, surely better option than Rice, Austin….