Trade Talk

Roy’s Trade Talk: Rd 9

Roy has a look at a few viable options to trade in this week. Use the comments section to discuss your ideas with the community.

• Roy

Oink… Yep, he’s back.

Cash Cows: Price, BE, Score

• Ed Phillips (MID, $203,000) -13, 86. Made a great debut for the Saints and is basically the in form player at the club despite most of it being VFL. He looked sensational and is a must have as far as I am concerned and in a similar vein to Tim Kelly. He had 24 touches and five tackles and won’t be leaving their side any time soon.
  • Ben Ronke (FWD/MID, $308,000) -31, 121. Congrats to all the coaches that were kissed on the dick and had Ronke on the ground, but as far as non owners go, this ship has sailed despite his extraordinarily low BE. The JS and ceiling is certainly there, but I am not a fan of paying that mush for a rookie.

Trade Targets

• Tom Rockliff (FWD/MID, $526,000) 73, 127. The snout an tail appear to be back and it’s the first time we have seen it in teal. Rocky looked like his old self, where a huge indicator for me is his tackling, when he tackles, all his other piggish tendencies fall into place. He will smash his BE against the Suns this week, but the issue is the bye the following round, especially for Robbie Gray owners. The smart thing would be to hold off for two week, but when it comes to Rocky, I’m not always smart. What a bargain.
  • Taylor Adams (MID, $625,000) 106, 124 embraced the increased opportunity with Pendles out of the side and I may have kick started his season after pumping out his first ton for the year, while averaging just 80. He has St Kilda and the Dogs at ES in his next two games and if the switch has been officially flicked, that is as cheap as you will get the little star. Has great numbers against his next three opponents including 130 and 150 last year.
  • Dayne Zorko (MID, $608,000) 50, 115 proved a great gamble last week on the back of his whopping 170, backing it up with another four goals and 115 which increased his price by 32K. It certainly has a huge element of risk involved and the round 11 match up with the Roos has me fearing a sub 50 performance but the break even game is alive with the bottomed out premo from the Den.
  • James Sicily (DEF/FWD, $625,000) 60, 104 did it again, knocking up his third hundred in a row. Last week he was ridiculously cheap given his form, and still remains under priced despite his 32K price rise. Over the season he has risen by over 100K which is hard to hear for coaches like me that started with him and traded him out but he has now slotted into the role I expected and has strung a few games together without being rubbed out. There will definitely still be the odd hiccup, but he well and truly makes up for it on his good days.
  • Jack Macrae (FWD, $858,000) 97, 155 it’s hard to do for this price… But how can you just sit back and watch it happen? He is certainly the big dog of the competition at the moment, outscoring the most popular captain of the week by around 100 points. He has a three game average of 150 and is certainly forcing our hand with Pig conversations. Surely hard tags are coming? Gun.
  • Toby McLean (FWD/MID, $691,000) remains under priced with a three game average of 113 and has in fact reached triple figures in five of his eight games. He has a match up this week against the Crows in Adelaide but should have his BE covered as they have been giving up plenty of points and there is no reason he won’t ton up again. He is well entrenched in the rolling 22.

Rolling 22

Defenders:

Rory Laird
Elliot Yeo
Sic Dawg
Paul Seedsman
Kade Simpson
Lachie Whitfield

Sic Dawg back where he belongs, Hurley’s ‘effort’ completely unacceptable.

Midfielders:

Robbie Gray
Sam Menegola
Isaac Heeney
Toby Mclean
Justin Westhoff
Tim Taranto

Hoff did what he needed to do, Menegola responded to his official notice last week, while Devon, Hogan, Robbo continue to nip at the heels for the current six. I gave the forwards a razz last week and they certainly responded.

My trades at this stage:

D. Fogarty to Phillips
Banfield to Rocky

Cheers,
@RoyDT

1. Me Mums Me Dad

May 15, 2018 at 10:06 am

can’t believe people actually jumping on rocky. sometimes you just have to learn to say goodbye…

• Simon

May 15, 2018 at 11:19 am

In 2 weeks’ time I’ll happily say ‘hello’ to anyone who churns out 120s for shits and giggles, costs less than Ryan Bastinac, DPPs into forwards and has had their bye. Not sure what boxes he doesn’t tick to be honest…?

• Me Mums Me Dad

May 15, 2018 at 1:19 pm

in his last 17 games he has scored over 100 twice.

just let him go bro, thank him for his services over the years and let him be free.

• Simon

May 15, 2018 at 1:45 pm

I see what you’re doing… that’s right, *ahem!*, nothing to see here

• Belly

May 15, 2018 at 8:29 pm

I agree, give him him a few more games, he could go Merrett at any minute. Far too risky jump on Ronke.

2. The Mammajam

May 15, 2018 at 10:29 am

I want to trade. dusty this week but If I keep him he’ll score less than 100 if I trade him he’ll go gangbusters against West Coast . So I’m taking one for west coast .
    Kelly-Phillips
    Waterman- rocky
    $155k left over

3. Jag67

May 15, 2018 at 10:33 am

I’ve gone Crowden to Phillips (via DPP), then jumping off the Merrett express for Curnow. If he gets suspended, then Doedee turns into Sicily.

4. tbd

May 15, 2018 at 10:36 am

I’m chasing Ronke, no downgrade targets in the forward line unless Clarke or Ahern are named, given that they haven’t played yet their JS will be shaky. No point going Rocky, and the top 6 forwards are still up in the air. May as well take a safe 55-60 on field and let the insane BE make you $150k until the byes

Banfield & Crowden to Phillips & Ronke
    181k in the bank

• Bomber Thompson

May 15, 2018 at 10:50 am

good trades, dont see how it is too late to take Ronke based on the fact that he will get 70+ against freo and rise 70k again

• Simon

May 15, 2018 at 11:20 am

Agree. Not sure what the whole “too late to jump on” theory is based on… seems like arbitrary bollocks to me

• Kingzy

May 15, 2018 at 12:16 pm

Its the idea of saving the $100K on say a downgrade to Phillips instead of Ronke, and using that $100K to upgrade another rook to a premo.

BUT

If you doing a double downgrade and not getting a rook to premo upgrade, and also Ronke will be on your field to fix up an under performing rookie, then sweet as lockity lock he is worth it.

There arnt to many rookies left that are safe to play on field, I have Murray, Kelly now Phillips coming on field instead of Doedee and Fristch.

Ronke is definitely one you can feel safe having on field.

5. j959

May 15, 2018 at 10:47 am

Fellas, love your work as always – just wondering … what’s happened to Matt and the “Weekend Wash-up”??!! :(

He’s obviously doing too well in the rankings to be able to collectively whinge for the rest of us, struggling and not doing as well … ;)

6. anth80

May 15, 2018 at 11:04 am

Guys what’s better.
    Turning Crowden and Banfield into Clarke if named and Rocky or Doedee and Banfield into Clarke if named Poholke or Petruccelle and Sic Dawg.
    Got Philips last week

• Simon

May 15, 2018 at 11:21 am

Wait a week on Rocky, don’t get him before his bye. Lots of “ifs” and shit names in your list of options… maybe wait for teams?

• anth80

May 15, 2018 at 12:25 pm

Tell me about. There’s no good rooks at there. I could turn Doedee into Cumming but don’t want to. Would rather go up and not have Cumming on field.

• Ned kelly

May 15, 2018 at 1:37 pm

If u dont have gray or westhoff, u can jump now it wont make any difference

7. TMac

May 15, 2018 at 11:16 am

Great write up, thanks Roy. Thoughts on my trade options below?

1) Billings to Ronke

2) Doedee to Whitfield (injured?)
    or Doedee to Crouch (Via Finlayson)
    or Doedee to Taranto (Via Keeffe)

Alternatively

1) Finlayson to Phillips
    2) Billings to McLean

• eLNoss

May 17, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Surely the second option. Phillips and McLean are both guns, Finlayson is spent and maxed out and has averaged 60 in his last 3. Nothing needs to be said about Billings, why people had him in their team is beyond me (Saints fan as well).

8. JB

May 15, 2018 at 11:24 am

Banfield to Phillips
    Who to bring in out of: Kade Simpson, Ed Curnow, Toby Mclean

• Marsh

May 16, 2018 at 4:23 pm

I’d go Ed Curnow. Although, depends on who you are upgrading.

9. Whitelies

May 15, 2018 at 11:28 am

Draft question:

Would you trade D. Shiels for L. Shuey? Shuey still 2-3 weeks away but Shiels always gets tagged. Shuey’s scoring ability is way better. I’ve also got good cover for Sheuy while he’s out

10. andyjh

May 15, 2018 at 12:04 pm

I am bringing in Rocky this week. I was going to wait till after his bye but i dont actually see the point. He is at his lowest price now. I am upgrading Rayner to him. Next week i would of had 4 premo’s and 2 rooks on field anyway. The only difference is Rocky will be on my pine instead of Rayner. Plus i save cash!!

• Alan J

May 15, 2018 at 12:18 pm

If you can cover him, Rocky looks the goods..

I’ve got 2 players I need to cover as it is, so need to wait until his bye to grab him

11. jeremy1251

May 15, 2018 at 12:06 pm

Stephenson to Brandon Ah Chee
    or
    Doedee to Brandon Ah Chee
    or
    Dom Barry to Ed Phillips

• Alan J

May 15, 2018 at 12:19 pm

• jeremy1251

May 15, 2018 at 12:27 pm

Who should I get rid of first though?
        Stephenson or Doedee.

• Alan J

May 15, 2018 at 12:33 pm

3. Dom Barry..

But if you were actually asking about which one of the first 2 trades, then I’d say whoever fits your bye structure best and best of luck with Ah Chee

12. The Official Oscar McInerney

May 15, 2018 at 12:17 pm

banfield to danger
    or
    kelly to mcrae

• JungleMuffin

May 15, 2018 at 7:23 pm

Banfield to Danger is +40 points with Kelly on field.

Kelly to McRae is +40 points with Banfield on field.

13. jeremy1251

May 15, 2018 at 12:31 pm

14. zman

May 15, 2018 at 12:50 pm

is it time to get rid of jeager o’meara

• Thanos

May 15, 2018 at 2:28 pm

Yeh, but holding for one more week cos they have a matchup with lions and i got other players to patch up

• JungleMuffin

May 16, 2018 at 8:48 pm

Holding JOM until round 11 allows him to sideways to a Port/GC player and skip a bye with a premium. Holding until round 13/14/15 is better for bye structure than trading him.

• JungleMuffin

May 17, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Actually, he’s out this week. Chop him.

15. brad

May 15, 2018 at 1:01 pm

Billings to ronke
    Jacobs to macrae
    Thoughts? Could save alot of money and get crouch but these 140+ scores and if hes my captain even more points is hard to ignore

16. Liam

May 15, 2018 at 1:26 pm

Hey Everyone, need ideas on what trades I should do this week, got 27k in bank

Thinking of either going Banfield- 170k (Ahern or Clarke) then Doedee – Sic dog OR

Banfield- 170k( Ahern or Clarke) then Rayner – Ronke or is it to late to jump on?

Laird, Lloyd, Hibbard, Doedee, Murray, Coffield (Pearce,Mirra)

Titch, Gibbs, Jelwood, Neale, Merrett, JPK, Mutch, Kelly( Banfield, Phillips)

Gawn, Stef( Cameron, Meek)

Menagola, Heeney, McLean, Gray, waterman, Gowers (Rayner, Petruccelle)

• Alex

May 17, 2018 at 7:52 pm

Banfield-> Clarke

Doedee-> Sicdog

17. Euman

Euman

May 15, 2018 at 1:34 pm

baqnfield to phillips and crownden to rocky

• Liam

May 15, 2018 at 1:45 pm

Euman was that a reply to me? If it was I’ve already got Phillips

Euman

May 15, 2018 at 2:00 pm

nah was my trades lol

18. Euman

Euman

May 15, 2018 at 1:38 pm

rocky captain? Will titch get tagged v lions? and maybe grundy v saints then?

• andyjh

May 15, 2018 at 2:28 pm

How big are your balls euman??? C on Rocky is risky as! could be a great risk though. I’m leaving it on Titch

• lizard-of-oz

May 18, 2018 at 6:44 pm

One of the Robbos will do a job on TM

19. Kingzy

May 15, 2018 at 3:14 pm

Is Charlie Ballard an option for a downgrade? Good bye round, 2 x 46 scores are uninspiring though.

Really finding it hard to find a downgrade target not on the round 13 bye.

Would love to get Ainsworth but no doubt will be dropped for Shuey or Sheed.

At the moment looking at:
    Billings to ??? rookie
    Naughton (sucks he was going to be a great bye round cover!!) to Sicily.
    To make this trade must be a MID rook, so I can switch Taranto to FWD bench Doedee and field Kelly and Phillips.

Before trades:
    DEF:Laird, Seedsman, Hurn, LLoyd, Doedee, Murray (Naughton, Murphy)
    MID:Titch, Cogs, Neale, Parker, Zerrett, Bont, Taranto, Kelly (Mutch, Phillips)
    RUC:Gawn, Nic Nat (Mcinerney, Cameron)
    FWD:McLean, Heeney, Smith, Robinson, Billings, Fristch (ZGL, Guelfi)

Its doing my head in lol
    Thoughts?
    Thanks

• Screech

May 15, 2018 at 6:29 pm

get phillips on the field, yes. will probably ton vs pies. i like your trades

20. Sosadtosee

May 15, 2018 at 3:37 pm

Crazy year this year for break out mid pricers. I’ve put together a team below that you could have had in round one (would fit under the salary cap) plus their average for the year so far.

Sicily (98) Seedsman (97) Hurn (97) Finlayson
    Wbester (90) Murray (80) Doedee (70) Coffield

McCrae (130) Coniglio (115) Curnow (120) Fyfe (112) Brayshaw
    Hunter (109) Selwood (105) Polec (101) Kelly (80) Banfield

Gawn (120) Sinclair (100) English
    Crossley

Gray (106) Hogan (96) Robinson (97) Waterman
    Smith (96) Walters (before injury 85) Darling (90) Fritsch

Hindsight is an oh so wonderful thing. This team would average 2319 with McCrae as captain.

• PowerAde

May 15, 2018 at 6:37 pm

haha, amazing. great work sir

21. Jay

May 15, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Thoughts on these trades:
    Fog to Phillips
    &
    Gowers/Waterman to macrae via dpp

22. DBoms

May 15, 2018 at 4:40 pm

Is there any merit in holding Hurley?

Allows me to stick with my downgrade/upgrade plan of Banfield to Phillips and Naughton to Crouch (via Whitfield DPP).
    Hurley would be benched with Finlayson covering, next weeks plan would then be Doedee and Finlayson out to a rookie and a premo.

Everything was looking peachy with that until the Hurley news. Do I just trade Hurley to Crouch, or bench him for this week and hope he plays next week?

Both options leave me with an identical starting 22 for this week, and no defensive cover.
    Trading Hurley means Naughton is on the pine and 322k in the bank (but would need to trade Naughton next week).
    Holding Hurley means Hurley is on the bench with 30k, but can still downgrade/upgrade around him next week..

I feel like I may as well hold him?

23. Kingzy

May 15, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Billings + kelly to
    macrae + Ahern or a $170k if named?

24. Tex

May 15, 2018 at 4:59 pm

What shits me… Z.MERRETT!

Like some others, have gone through the whole ‘started with Merrett, traded him out after he spudded it, traded him back in after a couple 100’s and now he’s spudding it again’ fiasco.

So what to do? I have him, Martin, Billings and Jacobs that were meant to be set and forgets!!

Banfield -> Phillips is locked

This leaves me with $194k which won’t get me to a premo if I spend it on a ~$400k fattened rookie so it’s either ‘upgrading’ Merrett/Martin/Jacobs/Billings or looking for a value pick eg. Merrett -> Crouch or Billings -> Rocky to leave me money for a rookie -> premo upgrade next week?

• JungleMuffin

May 15, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Do it. Trade him out, and then trade him back in again after he bangs out a few more centuries.

It’ll be the highlight of my season!

• lizard-of-oz

May 18, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Bite the bullet Duke.. hold.

25. PowerAde

May 15, 2018 at 6:28 pm

thank the fantasy gods and common sense Ed Curnow got fined only, my midfield was looking a bit suspect with Kelly, Stephenson and Philips.

feel for tom Hawkins though

• Jag67

May 15, 2018 at 11:32 pm

AFL may still appeal the decision tomorrow, don’t count your chickens just yet.

26. Tom

May 15, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Doedee to Ronke
    Banfield to Simpson

Or

Crowden to 170k (if named)
    Doedee to Yeo???

• cedric

May 16, 2018 at 1:13 am

Yeo would be better than Simpson

27. Chrisy

May 15, 2018 at 9:16 pm

Macrae +54k or E.Curnow +136k?

28. Smile

May 15, 2018 at 9:16 pm

Whitfield or Lloyd?

29. jingles

May 15, 2018 at 9:48 pm

hutchings or ah chee

• cedric

May 16, 2018 at 1:10 am

Ah Chee

• Stalliondongs

May 16, 2018 at 1:23 am

Tough one as a eagles supporter id say hutchings,to early for ah chee,heaps of ayers coming back will no doubt affect his score.Though in saying this i can see hutchings tagging this week.

30. E.J

Billings to McLean

31. Killer

May 15, 2018 at 10:45 pm

M crouch or bont?

• cedric

May 16, 2018 at 1:10 am

I would suggest Bont with the byes

32. Liam

May 15, 2018 at 11:44 pm

sic dog or hogan as a slight POD?

• cedric

May 16, 2018 at 1:09 am

POD would be Hogan

33. Jo

May 16, 2018 at 12:19 am

Sicily or Crouch? (DPP) Sic has a low BE 60 (but could get a tag/suspension) Crouch set and forget but can get next week with a higher BE 109

• cedric

May 16, 2018 at 1:09 am

Sic Dawg might work out better with the byes

34. Cedric

May 16, 2018 at 1:03 am

Hi all,

My team is:

Def: Laird, Simpson, Seedsman, Lloyd, Murray, Coffield (Doedee, Murphy)
    Mid: Coniglio, Jelwood, Neale, Merrett, Parker, Redden, Kelly, Ainsworth (Banfield, Worpel)
    Rucks: Gawn, Goldstein (McInerny, Cameron)
    Fwd: Gray, Heeney, Smith, Caddy, Billings, Giles-Langdon (Polholke, Crowden)
    Bank: $87k

Option 1:
    Kelly  Titch and Billings  Ronke
    Remaining: $7k

Option 2:
    Banfield  M. Crouch and Billings  Ronke
    Remaining: $41k

Option 3:
    Crowden  Ronke and Worpel  Phillips (or any $170k rookie)
    Remaining: $73k

Really at a loss and would like some enlightenment.

Thanks in advance.

• cedric

May 16, 2018 at 1:05 am

That is:

Option 1:
      Kelly to Titch and Billings to Ronke
      Remaining: $7k
      Option 2:
      Banfield to M. Crouch and Billings to Ronke
      Remaining: $41k
      Option 3:
      Crowden to Ronke and Worpel to Phillips (or any $170k rookie)
      Remaining: $73k

• Marsh

May 16, 2018 at 4:27 pm

A few PODs in your team. What about Banfield to Phillips and Goldstein to Stef or Grundy?

35. Bj

May 16, 2018 at 8:17 am

Tough week for me this week. Can’t decide on these options.

Trade 1: banfield to Phillips seems a lock – leaves me with 200k ITB
    Trade 2:
    1.Need to do something about Jacobs in the ruc. He’s become a liability. Already have Grundy and the Big O as backup. Don’t want to cough up for Gawn (plus he misses rnd 13). Thinking Kruzer (preferred) or nankervis

2. Is Cummings worth a trade in ? – Do i hold off on Jacobs for another week as mu back line needs some work. got doedee & coffield on the field. naughton + Guthrie on the pine.

3. Doedee to Whitfield
    4. Chase cash with Ronke

36. J

May 16, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Do I go zerrett and Stephenson out for Macrae and Phillips or
    Get rid of 2 maxed out rooks for 2 cheap rooks

• Rambo Tambo

May 16, 2018 at 9:46 pm

Option 2, hold your premiums and trade around them

37. JungleMuffin

May 17, 2018 at 11:14 pm

Just had a look at my league matchups and I seen I’ve got destROY this week, who’s on an undefeated run.

I look forward to taking away the 4 points after a tough few weeks for team JungleMuffin and what should be an easy matchup.

His team’s looking a bit tired at the moment, so I think it’d be in the bests interests of his team if he rested a few of his premiums. No chance of winning, so a smart coach would sandbag this week and make sure his troops are fresh and ready to go for a tilt at 2nd place in the latter half of the season!

• lizard-of-oz

May 18, 2018 at 6:53 pm

Overall position/rating is more important than leagues.
      Leagues are a minor diversion and the traders aint that great.

38. TM Flex

May 18, 2018 at 5:45 am

Need to get rid of Naughton this week. Cumming or Rice? Gone Cumming at the moment

Want Dylan Clark in for Banfield but I also have Much who has been “rested”. My theory is that Banfield could lose money this week wheras Much cannot and if he isn’t named soon I’ll move him on. Neither are on my field so not a huge issue. Sensible thinking of utter folly?