Trade Talk

Roy’s Trade Talk – Rd. 8

Rookies are fattening and there is some premium talent that has bottomed out! Sounds like a perfect match. Roy has a look at some of the value out there and as always, discuss your trade ideas in the comments.

• Roy

There are plenty of cash cows that have fattened, so that means it’s time to go shopping! Fortunately for coaches, there is plenty of under priced value out there worth considering, including a couple that would take some giant gonads.

Cash Cows: Price, BE, Score

• Lachie Keeffe (FWD/DEF, $198,000) -7, 76. Made a great debut for the Giants, playing multiple roles, including some ruck work with 18 hit outs, three marks and two tackles for 76. His job security still has to be considered shaky unfortunately, but he certainly scored well.
  • Charlie Spargo (FWD/MID, $276,000) -2 71. Had another great game and although he comes at a cost, he now has the best job security of the growing rookies. He really adds something to the Dees and his 15 possessions, five marks, three tackles and a goal secured more opportunities.

Positional Value

Defender:

• Michael Hibberd (DEF, $542,000) 58, 107. Backed up his best game (and first decent game) of the season last week with another good performance with 28 possessions, four tackles and four marks for another ton with 104. If he is back to his 90+ ways, he is great value. He is 5th in the competition for metres gained over the last two weeks and plays the Gold Coast this week, so there is no reason his regained form shouldn’t continue.

Midfielder:

• Josh Kennedy (MID, $607,000) 74, 122 had a couple of quiet weeks, but appears to be back and is now an absolute bargain if that is the case. He copped a bit of attention on the weekend and it didn’t bother him with 31 possessions and laid nine tackles for 122 on the back of 111 last week. He play the Eagles this week before playing two game at home and is cheap considering his 80K price drop.
  •  Dayne Zorko (MID, $576,000) 58, 176 has been a huge frustration for owners with just one ton in his first six games and he had dropped 229K without an injury! Unheard of. Then, he bounced back in a big way with 176, directly following a 55 and 43 which saw many owners trade him out. Although he will always be at risk of disaster against a tag, it can’t be ignored that a player coming off a 115 average is that price. In the next five weeks, he is likely to cop attention in at least three of them, but plays the Dogs this week who he scored 157 on at Etihad last year.

Forward

• James Sicily (DEF/FWD, $594,000) 48, 135 yep, I am back talking about the Sic Dawg, but how can’t I be? This is the reason I talked him up so much in the pre season, and also started with him, because the good is so good. On the weekend he scored 135 from 29 touches, a whopping 14 marks and a goal following on from an impressive 111 last week. Unfortunately, I traded him out after one of the two suspensions he has already received this year and back to back 110+ scores are rare from any forwards or defenders in the competition, especially one under 600K. The risk, is of course the fact he is as mad as a cut snake and could be suspended or lose his sh*t getting tagged next week. Not a ride for the faint of heart but the scoring potential is outstanding.

Getting Piggy With It

•  Jack Macrae (FWD, $826,000) 99, 151 Continued his dominant season with 40 touches, five marks, eight tackles and a goal for 151 on the weekend against the Suns. Sometimes chasing value isn’t the thing to do, if you have the cash, just pick him up and enjoy the show. He is white hot after scoring 145 a fortnight ago and has some handy match ups with the Lions at home and the Pies in the next three weeks.

Wait on it

• Taylor Adams (MID, $643,000) 155, 48 is having a massive clanger, dropping $165K from his four games with a top score of 82. His return from injury against the Lions produced just 14 touches and 48. He is going to be a bargain in the coming weeks once he gets going and it will be interesting to monitor his role if Pendles misses a few games with his ankle.

Rolling 22

Defenders:

Rory Laird
Elliot Yeo
Michael Hurley
Paul Seedsman
Kade Simpson
Lachie Whitfield

Sic Dawg knocking hard, Goddard lovers went very quiet this weekend.

Midfielders:

Tom Mitchell
Stephen Coniglio
Patrick Dangerfield
Bryce Gibbs
Scott Pendlebury
Jack Macrae
Adam Treloar
Nat Fyfe

Zach can piss off, Fyfe is in and Curnow won’t go away, he is in the mix.

Ruck:

Max Gawn
Brodie Grundy

Forward:

Robbie Gray
Sam Menegola
Isaac Heeney
Toby Mclean
Justin Westhoff
Tim Taranto

Hoff was solid again, but I still think he will slide with Ryder. Official warnings to Menegola and Heeney, pull your finger out or you are gone.  Buddy is out, you snooze, you lose and Taranto gets his spot because I love him. Robbo, Hogan, Devon, Boak and Lambert… Keep up the good work it is not going unrecognised and the forward line is shaky, so I’m happy to shuffle hard.

My trades at this stage:

English to Spargo
Doedee to Kennedy

Cheers,
@RoyDT

1. 13th Man

May 8, 2018 at 5:51 pm

Billings and Finlayson to Crouch and Spargo.
    My only worry is with already having Fyfe, Neale, Coniglio, Taranto, Laird and Seedsman my rd 14 bye is stacked full of premiums. Should I avoid Crouch on this basis or get him as he’s by far the best option at that price

• El Cappo

May 9, 2018 at 12:30 am

Can jump on crouch, let him make some money then when he’s worth back in the 700-780k can swap him for someone come time for the byes.

2. anth80

May 8, 2018 at 5:53 pm

Travis Boak a good option yay or nay?

• Ned kelly

May 8, 2018 at 7:20 pm

Anth cmon man

• Getachubby

May 8, 2018 at 9:27 pm

I don’t think so but am super keen to see what rocky does on return if he is in the mid on ball he will be a steal

• JungleMuffin

May 9, 2018 at 4:53 am

Depends on how much cash you’ve got. He crossed my radar a few weeks back. He’s not super elite scoring as far as scoring goes, but still scores well and there’s a bit of value.

• David C

May 9, 2018 at 7:05 am

You’d be mad to bring him in with his bye coming up in a couple of weeks.

• Ned kelly

May 9, 2018 at 8:45 am

He is mad look at his photo

• JungleMuffin

May 11, 2018 at 2:38 am

You must be Ned Kelley’s ghost then Clarko!

3. Tex

May 8, 2018 at 6:08 pm

Crouch or Coniglio?

Fooz

May 9, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Crouch for draw. Conigs seems to be going through a rough patch with so many injuries at the Giants

4. PowerAde

May 8, 2018 at 6:25 pm

lets not muck around anymore, Curnow should be listed in top 8 mids well before danger on this years form

5. Up&About

May 8, 2018 at 7:10 pm

Doedee to Kennedy? JPK? How is that one possible?

• Ned kelly

May 8, 2018 at 7:24 pm

Coffeild on midfeild bench thats how , durrr

• Bailey

May 8, 2018 at 9:09 pm

But Doedee doesn’t have DPP?! I’m also confused.

• Jaxon

May 8, 2018 at 9:27 pm

Trade Doedee out, switch Coffield into the backline, then you can trade in a midfielder.

• Ned kelly

May 8, 2018 at 9:27 pm

R u joking or wat

• gf

May 8, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Yes, requires more explanation.

• Belly

May 8, 2018 at 9:49 pm

Ok you get 2 trades each week, I know it’s exciting isn’t it!
        That means you can remove a player and select a new one! Yes just like getting a new boyfriend.

Players that have in little writing things like def/mid can be selected in defence ( the first section of players) or in the midfield ( the 2nd section). dpp is dual position by the way, not double plug…
        If you already have a player in your side with little writing and two positions you can move him into the position of a player you decide to trade out if they are vacating a spot from the other position.
        Revolutionary!!!

So as already explained you trade out Doedee who is in Def, then switch Coffield who is in the mid to the def, allowing you to bring in Jpk to the midfield spot (obviously if you knew what you were doing you wouldn’t be getting jpk but that’s a whole different subject)
        Good luck for 2019

• fartypants

May 8, 2018 at 9:52 pm

I’ll draw you knobs a map

• Up&About

May 8, 2018 at 10:03 pm

Got it now. Just trialed per explanation with another set of players and I get it. Thanks for the kind help

• The Cricket

May 8, 2018 at 10:55 pm

Good thing Up&About!
          Don’t hesitate to ask questions, and don’t let the smart-arsed responses put you off – we were all beginners once :)

6. umop3pisdn

May 8, 2018 at 7:15 pm

What is going on this year? Even the Traders have lost their collective minds! There used to be advice to complete a team prior to trading any under-performers. Is that not the goal any more?? Downgrade a fattened up cash cow, upgrade another to a premium. Rinse repeat until team complete: then feck around with under performing players. Where’s that info gone?!?

• Trent

May 8, 2018 at 9:03 pm

This 100%. I’ve got Billings and Savage in my side, both are crap but both are more likely to come good than a rookie is to start scoring like a premo. If at seasons end I had Billings and Savage at F6 and D6 then that’s better than having 2 rookies. Only ever sideways for injuries I feel

• Jaxon

May 8, 2018 at 9:26 pm

I normally agree with holding ‘premos’ unless injured, but this whole Billings thing is far beyond a joke. I think for blokes like Savage, Merrett, Hibbo that have still shown they can score are no where near worth trading, a bloke like Billings that has looked completely lost and scared all season (sparing round 1) needs to go before rookies scoring the same as him and generating small cash.

• Lachie

May 8, 2018 at 9:31 pm

Everyone is going backwards doing sideways trades, atm I’m up 2 premos on most other teams…

• Jaxon

May 8, 2018 at 9:34 pm

Next week I’ll have a double upgrade, which will also have me 2 premos up on most people. Thing is, right now Billings does not come close to classing as a premo.

• Ned kelly

May 8, 2018 at 9:35 pm

+1 my man

• The Cricket

May 8, 2018 at 10:39 pm

+1 umop!
      On Sunday night I rage traded Billings and it made me feel good … but I know that I’ll reverse it come the end of the week. Sanity will prevail and I’ll continue to improve my team and my ranking – which has been moving along nicely despite Billings’s best efforts to fmdt lol
      In the words of Junglemuffin –
      Dont. Sideways. Trade.

• JungleMuffin

May 8, 2018 at 11:15 pm

Preach it my brotha!

• umop3pisdn

May 10, 2018 at 4:18 pm

Can I get AMEN

Fooz

May 9, 2018 at 6:01 pm

However, is Billings to Macrae a sideways trade?

7. boges11

May 8, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Josh Kelly from GWS plays the Eagles this week, not JPK that you’ve written about.

8. Confused

May 8, 2018 at 8:23 pm

Best mid option between Fyfe, Duncan and Matt Crouch? Also considered Treloar but his Rd 13 bye is not ideal.

• Trent

May 8, 2018 at 9:16 pm

Crouch for value. He’s super cheap and can average as much as the others. 115 from his final 13 games last year

Fooz

May 9, 2018 at 6:07 pm

I like Crouch. I gotta get him back in…

My end of 2017 locks were:
      DEF: Docherty, Laird, Crisp
      MID: Titch, Duncan, Crouch, Conigs
      Ruck: Gawn
      FWD: Billings, Rocky (if named there R1)

Out of all of them, I started 2018 with Gawn, Titch, Crouch and Conigs (with Crisp and Billings in RDT). Too much time this year playing catch up; and fixing up stupid trades.

Fooz

May 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm

Oh yeah. I did managed to hold Duncan through his injury.

9. Trent

May 8, 2018 at 9:17 pm

M.Cruch v Sicily? Best option to bring in?

• Getachubby

May 8, 2018 at 9:23 pm

Purely depends where U need to strengthen more crouch you can probably wait one more week sick dawg is on the rise but higher risk and can solve problems fwd and back

10. Fracas

May 8, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Billing to Zorko or Redden (via DPP)

• Getachubby

May 8, 2018 at 9:21 pm

I’m going Zorko big risk but high ceiling and JS and price is impossible to ignore

11. Getachubby

May 8, 2018 at 9:20 pm

Taking a punt , all in on zorko and sic dawg this week in a small double upgrade

• Fracas

May 8, 2018 at 9:44 pm

I’ve already ridden the wave with Sic, held him since the start. Redden has looked good and will be more important with Sheed & Shuey out. Zorko could be hit and miss too! Hmmmm haha

12. Alex

May 8, 2018 at 10:03 pm

Good work Roy

Will wait and see on teams. If Keefe keeps his job with Lobb in then that is quite good for his JS

At this stage Waterman-> Keefe, Christensen-> McLean

Think English, if he even plays, will get destroyed by Stef (need him to cover English) so the alternative trade is downgrading him to Crossley at R3 and then use that case to do the same trade. Then downgrade Waterman next week, to put Finlayson up to whichever of the underpriced mid guns I can afford at M8 to complete my (underperforming) midfield.

I also think Billings is a huge chance to get dropped

• Ned kelly

May 8, 2018 at 10:09 pm

Wont drop him with mccartin out

13. Bavan

May 8, 2018 at 11:16 pm

1. Spargo/Ronke/Scheer and Zorko
    2. Crossley/Keeffe and Beams/M.Crouch
    which combination is the best option?

14. mthommo

May 8, 2018 at 11:51 pm

i swear to god my team is cursed
    – adam trealor in my team avg 92 out out of my team avg 126
    – patrick cripps in my team avg 89 out of my team avg 108
    – paul seesdamn in my team avg 83 out of my team avg 103
    – sam menegola in my team avg 76 out of my team avg 92
    – darcy McPherson in my team avg 56 out of my team avg 99
    – cogs in my team avg 100 out of my team avg 122
    – bryce gibbs in my team 98 out of my team avg 120
    and
    trading in McLean this week, so McLean owners u r welcome

15. The Mammajam

May 9, 2018 at 12:08 am

Rocky and Weitering worth considering if named?

• Alan J

May 9, 2018 at 6:52 am

Not this week.. Both need to prove themselves at AFL level, as far as scoring DT potential goes

• andyjh

May 9, 2018 at 12:21 pm

Should wait untill round 11 for Rocky, hopefully by then he is in decent touch & has passed his bye

• CJ

May 9, 2018 at 12:44 pm

Fooz

May 9, 2018 at 5:57 pm

+23000 other coaches

Fooz

May 9, 2018 at 5:59 pm

Rocky is still in 4.7% of teams, and not played an AFL game for 3 weeks

16. Brian's Bangers

May 9, 2018 at 9:36 am

I’ve got 850k to bring in any premium mid, who do I pick up??

Mids at the moment- Mitchell. Coniglio, Fyfe, Cripps. O’meara,Kelly and Merrett

• andyjh

May 9, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Mcrae is the no 1 player in the comp right now so i would say Mcrae

17. Brett

May 9, 2018 at 10:20 am

Thanks for Moderating my comment. A single swear word too much to handle, or the little dig i had at Rockliff, or that i was smart and got rid of billings for Mclean after round 2.

• Brett

May 9, 2018 at 1:32 pm

ignore previous post.

18. Daniel

May 9, 2018 at 11:47 am

Roy help appreciated
    DEF: Laird, Lloyd, Hibberd Doedee, Finlayson, Murray(Pearce, Naughton.
    MID: Danger, Titch, Martin, cogs, Parker, Merrett T Kelly Macrae (Holman Poholke)
    RUC: Big Sauce, Gawn (Cameron McInerney)
    FOR: Heeny, Billings, Smith, Ronke,Higgins, Guelfi, (Rayner Henry)

Need some advice on two trades I have $2k thoughts appreciated!

• Alan J

May 9, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Do you have any ideas yourself?

• Daniel

May 9, 2018 at 8:55 pm

Not really mate should I bring Sicily in

• The Cricket

May 11, 2018 at 12:02 am

Crazy to only have $2K in your kitty! Gives you no room to move.
      Suggest you focus this week on double downgrading to make some cash. There’s a good crop of cheap rookies available, so grab them! Maybe Guelfi (not playing & might not get another game for a while) and maybe Pearce could make way for a newbie who’ll make some quick cash? (Yes his JS is great but, let’s face it, he’s not the greatest cash generator).
      And trade rookies out and in with your byes in mind.

• Alan J

May 11, 2018 at 9:12 am

What Mr Cricket said..

Keep your bye rounds in mind when picking new rooks to bring in but from this I’d be looking at downgrading Naughton for Cumming (as long as you can cover Rd 13) and moving Billings to Sicily..

Brings in a (potential) Top 6 FWD, a new rookie cow to fatten, and generates cash

19. CJ

May 9, 2018 at 12:40 pm

1.Waterman to McLean?
    OR
    2. Crowden to Danger?

Leaning towards 1 since Danger will probably still go down in price for a week.

• Jimmyboi

May 9, 2018 at 1:42 pm

crowden to mclean via DPP

• Alan J

May 9, 2018 at 1:49 pm

Yeah, 1 looks good for this week and BE

20. Daniel

May 9, 2018 at 5:26 pm

English to Guelfi is a given, which does not quite get me from rookie to premium on second trade. So,
    1. O’Connor (dead wood) to Sam Wright (stepping stone)
    Or
    2. Parker to Cogs (premium to uber premium)?

21. Gregga

May 9, 2018 at 5:28 pm

Geez this tribunarul heading for nicnat is a load of sh** . I personally think a lot of crap is being tossed around and/or guessing from the MRO, the umpires, doctors and Port Adelaide. If he ran back into play then Nicnat should be let off, it was a legit tackle he has done many times. I think Karl Amon is weak as piss. I can’t believe this crap

Sir Bobby

May 9, 2018 at 5:41 pm

Mate, what about Amon hitting his head on two other occasions in the game!

Also, if that exact tackle was on someone with quads, like Ollie Wines, we wouldn’t even be here!

22. gf

May 9, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Which trades? Any thoughts?

1- Finlayson to Seedsman, and English to Taranto

or, 2- Holman to Mutch, and English to McLean.
    (with option 2 I can trade in another premium next week)

23. Trevor

May 9, 2018 at 7:09 pm

Nicnat suspension upheld!!!!

24. sam A

May 10, 2018 at 12:04 pm

who should i get in my mid, i only have 780k
    My mids are tom Mitchell, nat Fyfe, Adam Treloar, Lachie Neale, jag omera, Kelly and Mutch

• CJ

May 11, 2018 at 9:10 am

Crouch or Danger?

25. JungleMuffin

May 10, 2018 at 9:50 pm

Had Finlayson and English out for Cummings and Dangerfield for the last few days, but am probably going Barry and English out for Ahern and Danger. Might end up going to plan C if Ahern doesn’t make final teams and bring in Cummings for Barry via DPP and English to McClean, who knows.

26. CJ

May 11, 2018 at 8:57 am

McCrae or Danger???

27. Edze

May 11, 2018 at 4:03 pm

1.lyons to macrae or 2.Finlayson to sicily, and english to spargo?