Podcast

Cash Cow Culling – Ep. 194

PODCAST: Tim English let the boys down on the weekend.

Although there were a few premiums that let AFL Fantasy Classic coaches down on the weekend – Roy is filthy with Patrick Dangerfield, Calvin isn’t happy with Kade Simpson and Warnie is ready to rage trade Luke Parker – it is the bargain basement players who dictated a lot of the scores over the weekend.

Many coaches moved heaven and earth to get Tim English (RUC/FWD, $427,000) onto their field last week by ‘throwing’ away a bench ruck spot. His dual position status meant he could slot into the Fantasy 22 up forward. Why were coaches keen on doing this? His three previous scores of 86, 90 and 107 were far better than what was being dished up by other rookies.

English scored just 38 last Friday night to start the weekend on a sour note.

The Bulldogs’ second year ruckman has increased $240K and his breakeven (the score needed to maintain his price) is now 43. As a result, some coaches are looking to use his value to upgrade him to a premium in the forward line.

He’s not the only cash cow whose time is up.

Nick Holman (MID, $355,000) saw his first price drop this week after posting 30 against the Crows. His season earnings sit at $185,000 and with a breakeven of 68, this may start dwindling considering his average over his last five games is 56.

The Sun is currently the most traded out player ahead of round seven.

Playing Nicholas Coffield (DEF/MID, $354,000) for his 21 points in Tassie caused a few headaches when he was unique in a head-to-head match ups. As the Saints’ breakeven is now 52, getting close to his average of 60.5, his price growth might be limited.

Roy, Calvin and Warnie discuss which players you should consider the traditional upgrade/downgrade moves with this week on the Official AFL Fantasy Podcast. When is the right time to buy? When is the right time to sell? Listen in for expert advice from The Traders.

Also in this week’s podcast:

Click here to subscribe on iTunes. (Please leave a rating and review to help us move up the charts).

Click here to download

1. LW

April 30, 2018 at 11:29 pm

Why is there some random article about De Goey on this site?

2. Normy

May 1, 2018 at 7:38 am

+1 !!

3. tbd

May 1, 2018 at 8:11 am

Great podcast as always legends.

Surprised you guys don’t rate Matt Crouch as a top 8 mid. Surely he can average 110 from here?

4. Alan J

May 1, 2018 at 8:16 am

Talk of culling Coffield but no mention of Mirra?

Better hide it from Ned….

• Kingzy

May 1, 2018 at 9:46 am

Hahahaha nice!

Whats that, Danger 70 on the weekend and looking injured and shit sitting forward a lot.
      Better get him in

• Alan J

May 1, 2018 at 10:14 am

I’m sure it’ll drive him nuts, but I brought in Ronke over Guelfi last week because the extra $$ allowed me to bring in Gray

• Ned kelly

May 1, 2018 at 10:27 am

Yer yer very funny

• Alan J

May 4, 2018 at 7:05 am

Last laugh to you Ned?

I still needed to do it to get in Seedsman, so that made Mirra a win for me reagrdless.. Hopefully he gets in another couple games soon.

5. DoubleA

May 1, 2018 at 9:46 am

I’m drawing a line through every Sydney player except Isaac Heeney and Lance Franklin for fantasy teams ever again. They’re far too unpredictable and it’s just not worth the pain.

I’m giving English one more week, but with Boyd back, it looks like he’s definitely hit his peak. The only question now is whether to cull him and rely someone like McInerney as R3, or keep him but lose the cash generation. Not sure what to do yet there.

I’m moving Holman out for Mutch and using the cash to upgrade T Kelly to Z Merrett (who will now return to his round 2 and 3 form I assume). I’d rather keep Kelly for another couple of weeks, but its my only path to Merrett now (who barring bad luck is by far as cheap as he’ll get) and I think Mutch has more potential to generate cash over the next 4 or 5 rounds than Kelly does (I can’t see Kelly going above $550k as an absolute max, whereas Mutch has good potential to get to a least $350k).

Next week I’ll probably downgrade English or Coffield depending on how they score and use the cash to upgrade L McDonald or C Mills (yah, those didn’t pan out so well) to one of the premium defenders (most likely Seedsman, although I am not keen on having Laird, Seedsman and Doedee in the same defensive line). At least that’s my hope.

6. Spocky101

May 1, 2018 at 10:00 am

Billings out for Menegola or Taranto?

• Jono

May 1, 2018 at 12:01 pm

Menegola, based on the fact he’s a known ball winner and pretty under priced still. Taranto also a solid choice, but is he a top 6 forward option?

7. Bill

May 1, 2018 at 10:49 am

Who in for Walters???

• ecd

May 1, 2018 at 1:19 pm

Probably Kersten as Taberner is injured from last week and they need another bigger fwd

• Ecd

May 1, 2018 at 1:22 pm

My apologies, I misunderstood the question, you’d want a player for you to get in not who free will choose