Trade Talk

Roy’s Trade Talk – Rd. 4

There are plenty of under performing premiums to show the door, but who should we be looking to bring in? Roy has a look at a few players to consider.

• Roy

Unbelievable scenes really, the lack of ability shown by some of our former reliable premiums is unthinkable and indescribable. Not since the the Monstars visited on Space Jam have I seen such a large group of skilled athletes look like they have never played the game before. Players like Merrett and Treloar look dazed and confused on the field, rarely hit top pace, avoid contested ball and heaven forbid lay a bloody tackle.

Chopping Block: Price, score, BE

Marcus Bontempelli (MID, $627,000) 82, 123. Only the slim chance of DPP could save the Bont but at this rate, he is hardly worth the wait.

Michael Hibberd (DEF, $569,000) the man that used to hit 90 every week hasn’t hit 70. It’s gross and he needs to go.

Zach Merrett (MID, $643,000) 60, 163. Bounced back with 13 possessions. Looks disinterested and appears to be below Jake Stringer in the Bombers pecking order haha. What a joke, bye Zach (Former snout candidate).

Adam Treloar (MID, $720,000) 84, 136. Playing without any of the swag we became accustom to. He is approaching a tackle like a kid being forced to cuddle an overweight distant uncle who is suffering BO. He pretends like he is about to go in and then finds a reason to awkwardly pull out.

Jack Billings (FWD, $648,000) 58, 130. Good old free ride Billings. Horrible performance on the weekend where he was rarely sighted. It doesn’t get any easier this week against the Cats at the Cattery.

Liam Ryan (MID, $323,000) 78, -3. It’s never good when you hear a snap… He has been awesome but will need to go unfortunately.

Rooks:

Nick Coffield (DEF/MID, $276,000) 73, 16. Class, scoring and job security are all ticked off here, not to mention some handy DPP. Tough game this week but he is there for the long haul.

Get Them In

Lachie Hunter (MID, $709,000) 148, 61. Looks to be over his disappointing year after an awesome start to the season despite the Dogs taking a couple of weeks to get going. He hasn’t dropped under 108 and is ripe to select with another game at ES this week.

Jack Macrae (MID, $766,000) 116, 101. Lost his DPP and is consequently owned by just 1% of the competition. Hasn’t gone under 109… compare that start to Merrett.

Paul Seedsman (DEF/MID, $528,000) 95, 44.has made the vacant half back role his own. Has a low score of 86 and has 6 of his next 7 games at home.

Bryce Gibbs (MID, $823,000) 127, 115. Finally getting the recognition he deserves and loving playing with a successful team. Like Seedsman, an unreal run of games at home with some favourable match ups within it… like this week.

Click here to subscribe on iTunes. (Please leave a rating and review to help us move up the charts).

Jesse Hogan (FWD, $568,000) 104, 45. Lot’s of people asking and his numbers suggest he is a worthy target for that price. I don’t think he will maintain a triple figure average but he is certainly under priced despite increasing by 69K.

Nat Fyfe (MID, $697,000) 144, 74. Beast mode has been activated, he is officially back. 123 and 144 in the last two while showing off his new ceiling. Has a tough game this week vs the Giants at Manuka Oval which will be tough but after that, the Dogs and eagles at home look great.

Toby McLean (FWD,MID, $611,000) 103, 79. had an off game week one, but given his generous midfield time, forward eligibility and form with scores of 110 and 103 in his last two, he could be a great inclusion. Apart from the Swans this week, there are some very friendly match ups in the coming weeks.

My trades:

Merrett to McLean
Ryan to Coffield

As always, discuss your trade ideas in the comments section

@RoyDT

1. CC

April 10, 2018 at 8:03 pm

Whitfield/Parker to Hunter/Lyons with 301K in chest or max out with Parker/Fritch to Hunter/Robbo?

I like the sideways trade as it’ll generate money over time and leave a Chest for next week or do I chase more points for this round and keep riding it?

2. Liam

April 10, 2018 at 8:16 pm

Really stuck on what trades i should look at doing this week, 41k in the bank

Suggestions would be appreciated

Thinking of going Ryan- Rata then Merrett- Lyons/fyfe

Cant stand merrett anyone, saying that watch him go 120 this week

Laird, Hibbered, Lloyd, Finlayson, Murray, Doedee( Pearce, Z.Guthrie)

Tmitchell, Merrett, Kelly, Jelwood,Neale, Bradshaw, T. Kelly, Holman(Banfield, Barry)

Martin, Gawn( Cameron, Meek)

Billings, Heaney, Mclean, Gowers, ryan, Fritsch( rayner, Waterman)

3. gRiNdA

April 10, 2018 at 8:55 pm

i think im gonna go ryan to rata and then merrett to anyone really. i was thinking gibbs

• midgetgotgame

April 11, 2018 at 10:38 am

I like those trades

• DBoms

April 11, 2018 at 11:03 am

Yep. Get Gibbs if you can.

4. Moe

April 10, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Crowden or Higgins

5. steven

April 10, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Merret to Fyfe

A.Brayshaw to T.Kelly < not sure about this one what do you guys think?

• Royds

April 11, 2018 at 8:47 am

i like it

• DBoms

April 11, 2018 at 11:03 am

Spot on. T.Kelly is a must have.

6. Damien

April 10, 2018 at 10:13 pm

Fyfe a top 8 mid this year? What do you lads see him averaging?

• Sterlo

April 11, 2018 at 9:57 am

Somewhere between 6 and 10 would be my prediction. averaging between 110-115.
      He’s had an uninterrupted preseason, moving and playing great, but will attract a tag from time to time.

• DBoms

April 11, 2018 at 11:02 am

I reckon he’ll average about 110 come years end. He’ll have some huge scores in some wins (see last week), but he can go missing from time to time (see round 1).

I think I see him just outside the top 8, maybe 8-12ish.

Still a very good pick regardless, especially at his current price

7. Sunderpants

April 10, 2018 at 11:01 pm

Hibberd to Coffield
    Brayshaw to Gibbs (or Coniglio/Hunter?).

Sound good?

• DBoms

April 11, 2018 at 11:00 am

Yep. If you can afford him, go Gibbs. I reckon pay up and go for the best if you can. IMO Gibbs will finish the year as the 2nd highest scorer.

8. Leeroy

April 10, 2018 at 11:29 pm

On Seedsman, finally got him in, but for a large portion in the pre season I had him in my team. Not only is he avwrgaing in the 90s this year, it isn’t a fluke. The reason I nearly had him at the start of the year is because I’m pretty sure (too lazy to check) he averaged high 80s in his 5 or so games last year whilst being priced about 70

9. JAC

April 10, 2018 at 11:35 pm

Who in for Zerret of Fyfe, Hunter and Lyons? Or Zerret down to McLean or Robinson and then Fogarty up to Christensen and he will be my F6. Thoughts?

• DBoms

April 11, 2018 at 10:59 am

It’s a tough one, but I’m a huge Lyons advocate. I think he has huge upside. Only negative is he may cop a tag, but he has already been tagged by Ben Jacobs (arguably best tagger?) this year and still scored a respectable 84. Plus, I think most teams will back themselves against GC without a tagger. North and Freo are probably the only 2 who will consistently use a tagger, and Lyons has already played against both of them.

Plus, Freo just tagged Hall and kept him to 5 touches. I think if teams can completely nullify a player like that, they are every chance to continue tagging him over Lyons…

10. Whitelies

April 10, 2018 at 11:55 pm

Thoughts on these trades?

L. Ryan -> M. Crowden
    A. Naughton -> P. Seedsman

Meaning that I would have to bench Doedee, Murray or Finyalson

L. Ryan -> M. Crowden
    A. Naughton -> N. Coffield
    Banking: 252,000

I like this option more as I don’t miss out on Coffield and it gives me money for future upgrades

• DBoms

April 11, 2018 at 10:55 am

Yep, I’d go option 2.

Coffield should consistently score 70+ I would say, so realistically you’re only missing out on 10-20 points max (if Seedsman continues how he is) from Coffield vs Seedsman. Then you get a bucket load more cash to improve your team elsewhere.

• Whitelies

April 11, 2018 at 1:05 pm

Cheers for the reply mate, I think your spot on

11. smile

April 11, 2018 at 12:06 am

Mclean/Walters 100k left or fyfe 10k left?

• David C

April 11, 2018 at 2:51 pm

I’d go Fyfe, less risky.

12. Je B

April 11, 2018 at 12:16 am

Merret to Gibbs?
    Trelour to sidebottom?

• DBoms

April 11, 2018 at 10:53 am

Merrett to Gibbs

• the Cricket

April 12, 2018 at 12:29 am

I’m a big fan of Sidebottom – he’s one of the most consistent mid premos in this caper. Last season, for example, he played all 22 games and scored under 100 only six times (and three of those were in the nineties). There was a nine game stretch of 100+ games – made this fantasy coach very happy! He may not have the super-high ceiling of some other players, but he just keeps getting it done week after week. He’s quite a bit cheaper than Gibbs atm too.

13. Grovers Guns

April 11, 2018 at 10:23 am

I have the trifecta of Merrett, Treloar and Billings.

Currently going McGrath to Coffield and Brayshaw to Fyfe (Barry to bench)leaving only $6k.
    Other option considering is Billings to Franklin as he will smash it out against the Bulldogs

Have I lost it?

14. DBoms

April 11, 2018 at 10:31 am

Trading out Merrett and Ryan… best option?

1. Coffield and R.Gray.
    This would leave me with no rookies on field in the forward line, and I’m really keen on Gray this year. Downside is I would have 4 playing rookies in the mids. This is also my only option to bring in Coffield who I think will be a must have rookie.
    Would leave me with 137k to put towards upgrading a mid (hopefully a downgrade/upgrade next week?)

2. Ratugolea and Fyfe/Lyons/Hunter/Coniglio
    Undecided which premo mid I would go. Obviously Cogs probably seems like the safest/smartest option, but a few tempting PODs. I’m really keen on Lyons, which would leave me with 86k, 1 rook playing in forward and 3 playing in mids.

3. Frampton and Gibbs.
    I want Gibbs, if I can get to him. Obviously I would only do this if Frampton is named. I would then swing English into the forwards and play him F6, and this would sure up my mids nicely. Could be risky if Frampton is only in for a few weeks, although if Cameron is named, I should have decent ruck cover. This would leave me with 28k and would be my best option for points to be scored (best forward rookie playing plus Gibbs).

Thoughts??

15. CMAC

April 11, 2018 at 11:35 am

Thoughts on:

Ryan –> Rutagolea (or who else?)

Billings –> Franklin? (left with 324k)

• DBoms

April 11, 2018 at 11:52 am

It’s not bad, especially considering Franklin should be huge this week against Bulldogs who are also missing Zaine Cordy.
      However, I’m holding Billings

• Matt

April 11, 2018 at 11:52 am

I made the exact same trades this week.

• CMAC

April 11, 2018 at 3:37 pm

Yea im on the fence, I’ve never really backed Franklin; seems to fall off a bit. also concerned as soon as i get rid of billings he will hit some good numbers.

Cheers for the insight guys!

• Seano

April 12, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Billings first 3 games last year only delivered 75,61, & 47.
      I don;t know what he’ll do from here, but I can tell you what I won;t be doing is trading him before R4 like last year!

16. AJ

April 11, 2018 at 12:15 pm

is coffield worth getting in? thinking of possibly trading for him this week before he shoots up but not sure if hes going to be worth it with the saints being in shambles.

17. Big Boz

April 11, 2018 at 12:27 pm

Would love some feedback about trade options:

DEF: Laird, Savage, Tomlinson, Murray, Finlayson, Doedee (O’Shea, Murphy)
    MID: Titch, Zerrett, Treloar, Neale, Coniglio, Kelly, Holman, Barry (Brayshaw, Banfield)
    R: Gawn, Goldstein (English, Cameron)
    FWD: McLean, Smith, Walters, Petracca, Lobb, Higgins (Ryan, Fritsch)

On the block:
    Lobb
    Zerrett
    Ryan
    Goldy

I’m thinking of Zerrett > Hunter/Fyfe, Lobb > Sicily

Or should i be targeting some rookies?

• the Cricket

April 12, 2018 at 1:09 am

Prioritise rookies for cash generation, while we have so many of them to choose from. Soon enough the supply will dry up and you don’t want to regret not having made the most of the good times!

Ryan needs to go – replace him with a another fwd rookie.
      O’Shea is not playing – replace him with a def cash cow.
      Lobb may not play this week – depending on the word re his injury you could perhaps trade him out this week rather than O’Shea? May depend on which rookies you most want to grab (fwd or def, for instance) and if you’re really low on cash, in which case trading Lobb down to a rookie might be a good thing.

But don’t keep a non-playing rookie sitting on your bench (except in the rucks, where we sort of have no choice) – if they’re not playing then they’re not making money, so they’re not making your team better!

• Guy Incognito

April 12, 2018 at 1:26 am

agreed, Ryan is first preference as he is injured long term. After that go from the selection table

18. Bunwise

April 11, 2018 at 1:44 pm

Strongly considering dropping Zerrett to Ben Jacobs, and bumping Ryan up to Walters/

Would mean playing a whopping 4(??!!) midfield rookies in Jacobs, Kelly, Barry and Holman, but those 4 are all playing well and generating cash.

Thoughts?

19. Jeremy Hart

April 11, 2018 at 1:58 pm

Am I crazy trading Taranto already? Brought him in a couple weeks ago and enjoyed the 91, but with Hopper back he lost that scoring potential, do I ride it out? Current have him upgraded to McLean..

• Alan J

April 11, 2018 at 2:04 pm

If I had him, I’d be holding him

20. Alan J

April 11, 2018 at 2:22 pm

1. JOM + 86k
    2. Seedsman + 49k
    3. Robbo + 7k

Think I asked this is another thread, but couldn’t find it..

JOM – His best is still to come IMHO, would be a punt for him to average 90 at M6/7
    Seedsman – Love his new role, but he probably won’t be in my year end team, although DPP is handy and could become my D5/6 eventually
    Robbo – Highest scoring of the bunch, could be Top 6 FWD, but injury/suspension prone

21. Lochie

April 11, 2018 at 3:20 pm

If i have Neale and Brayshaw and Banfield on the bench, should i look at trading Zerrett to Fyfe?

22. Brayden B

April 11, 2018 at 3:33 pm

Trades this week:
    1) Ryan > Coffield via DPP
    2) Merrett > ??
    I’ve got 737k left in the bank. Is there anyone worth getting under this price? I am thinking Steven, Lyons, Fyfe or possibly Whitfield for when he gets DPP. Any other thoughts?

• Alan J

April 12, 2018 at 6:39 am

I got in Whitfield last week for DPP purposes, which made his score more bearable, but as a MID, I like Steven as a POD

23. Mad Fish

April 11, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Stuck for trades, what do people recommend?

DEF: Laird, Savage, Doedee, Murray, Finlayson, Coffield, (Z Guthrie, O’Connor)
    MID: Titch, Cogs, Treloar, Parker, Neale, Kelly, Brayshaw, Holman, (Barry, Banfield)
    RUCK: Gawn, Nank, (English, Cameron)
    FWD: Billings, Heeney, Acres, Smith, Taranto, Christensen, (Fritsch, Waterman)
    $169k remaining

Thinking of Billings to Ratugolea and Brayshaw to Hunter as I’m looking at playing the breakeven game, but don’t know.

What do other people think?

24. Halypants

April 11, 2018 at 4:29 pm

Thinking a double downgrade this week –
    IN Jack Henry $191,000
    OUT Liam Ryan $323,000
    IN Esava Ratugolea $218,000
    OUT Bayley Fritsch $295,000

Any thoughts. How’s the job security for the cats?

25. Trent

April 11, 2018 at 7:13 pm

Clayton Oliver a chance to be a top 8 mid?

114,125 and then 88 tagged by Jacobs which is pretty good

Could he average 110-115?

• DBoms

April 12, 2018 at 8:06 am

Yep, big chance. I think he will average over 110.

26. Douglas

April 11, 2018 at 8:11 pm

Hey Guys need a bit of help on my trades this week

I want to get rid of treloar this week but am not sure who to bring in. I’m tossing up between Gibbs, Coniglio and Fyfe. I think Gibbs is the best scorer but pocketing a bit of cash is also handy.

who of the three would be the best to bring into my side

• Gooseman

April 11, 2018 at 9:49 pm

Fyfe looks like he’ll go 110+ easy, get him while he’s cheap

• Alan J

April 12, 2018 at 6:38 am

Fyfe for value, but Cogs/Gibbs look like being Top8 MID this year.

I’d say Fyfe is good for 105-115 average, but the other 2 look like 120+ guys..

27. Gooseman

April 11, 2018 at 9:48 pm

Looking to get rid of both Hibberd and McGrath which leaves me 1.132m to spend. Otherwise might hold McGrath for another week and find the cash in downgrading a rook like Banfield or Brayshaw. Thinking of a couple options:

1. Seedsman and Crisp/Savage
    2. Simpson/Lloyd and Coffield (bank like 150-200k)
    3. Lloyd and Coffield for Hibberd and Brayshaw

fyi my other backs are Laird, Hartlett, Doedee, Finnlayson, Murray and Pearce

• Alan J

April 12, 2018 at 6:36 am

I’d go 2 with Simpson.. You get a Top 3 defender and a rook who looks like he could rise in price by 100k at least who in all honesty will probably score as well as Hibbo anyway

28. Brandon

April 11, 2018 at 10:18 pm

Darcy Fogarty to Willie Rioli, & Taranto to Menegola

• Brandon

April 11, 2018 at 10:47 pm

Or Fogarty to Esava, & Brayshaw to Coffield

29. Ntsagournos

April 12, 2018 at 12:23 am

Not sure who to trade Merrett to! have 220k in the pocket and was looking at anyone from Danger, Macrae, Hunter, Olive or maybe even someone like Mclean? Any ideas?

• TimorSaint

April 12, 2018 at 9:18 am

Steven and Lyons have great average, low BE, and priced reasonably

30. wiseguy

April 12, 2018 at 6:29 am

Banfield is getting a reputation for tagging.
    Great match up this Saturday, Wondering if it will be Coniglio or Kelly maybe Greene coming of an injury?

• Jeremy Hart

April 12, 2018 at 4:35 pm

I think it’ll be Whitfield

• TM Flex

April 13, 2018 at 3:03 am

Or Shiel?

31. TimorSaint

April 12, 2018 at 9:17 am

Treloar is playing FWD alot – do we smell a DPP coming ? I already have Whit, so these two DPPs will help me alot.

Or is it time to trade treloar ? (i have sleepy Zzzzzzzerrett who is gonski this week already)

thoughts ?

• wise guy

April 12, 2018 at 10:06 am

i am holding zerret. Has a BE of 160 so just say he tons up this week which is a strong possibility and stills goes down in price. Soon he BE will be what he is getting so I see it as a wasted trade.Unless there is a positional change for him, I have lost so much money, I am keeping him.
      I will change my mind if the bombers win and he still isn’t tonning up. However, that is when the Bombers win?????

• Bailey

April 12, 2018 at 8:01 pm

Also got Treloar and Zerrett but I’ve chosen to trade out Treloar to Hunter and keep Zerrett. I refuse to believe he’ll continue his current form considering his 110+ average in the past 2 seasons. Sooner or later he’ll surely return to consistent tonnes.

32. zman

April 12, 2018 at 9:59 am

i am going to do

ben long to coffield

merret to ben jacobs

thoughts

• footy_fanatic

April 12, 2018 at 10:36 pm

Bring in a premo for Merrett I reckon tbh

33. Wathen FC

April 12, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Easy trades for me this week…
    OUT Merrett, Liam Ryan
    IN Coniglio, Crowden

34. footy_fanatic

April 12, 2018 at 10:26 pm

Hey lads, already going Beams-Gibbs as have no big issues this week.
    My current ruck set up is Martin and Gawn, Should I trade ryan – 170k ruck via DPP and field English or bring Waterman on to my field and bring in Crowden leaving me with cover on all lines ?
    Is it risky to have no ruck cover.

35. ABCDE12345

April 12, 2018 at 10:54 pm

Best fwd rookie for 210k or under ?

36. TM Flex

April 13, 2018 at 3:27 am

Would love some thoughts on some rookie trades. Have luckily managed to dodge some of the worst bullets so I’m looking more at cash generationWhat hope that Lachlan Murphy will get back in to the crows best 22 next week (if it is only one week out)? Got rid of Fogarty last week and he’s back. Would be disappointing to make the same mistake twice. Trade would likely be to Coffield who costs 38k more but will likely get a decent run and make some coin. Have doedee, murray, finlayson so he’d be on the bench. Also have Naughton sitting on the pine. Don’t really see any “downgrade” options…

Took a risk and went with Jack Higgins and of course he is goneski. Again, worth holding for a bit to see if he can force his way back in? Or should I just get someone else in. I have cover and holding would allow me to f*#k off Billings for Robbie Gray or Jesse Hogan or McLean or just someone else who isn’t Billings.

Cheers