Calvin's Captains

Calvin’s Captains – Rd. 16

Ahhh me hearties, Calvin is back with the best Captain coverage in the land for Rd. 16

HISTORY AGAINST DUSTY

This week, Dustin Martin plays against one of his hardest sides in St Kilda.

They are now the only team Dusty hasn’t scored 100 against across his career of nine games. He managed 86 on them earlier this year and can’t seem to break the St Kilda Curse.

This was the same thing that he had going against the Blues though. A career run of 13 ‘ton-less’ games until this year when he finally went BANG and broke the run with a huge 139.

So can he do it again? It’s not like Dusty has automatically become good this year, he’s been a gun for a long time now and every year when he meets the Saints, he can’t get the job done.

The man is a beast, but making him your captain this week is a risk as he tried to crack triple figure after failing nine times before.

BOUNCE BACK ZACH

Just 78 last week as my #1 captain, Zach Merrett give yourself an upper cut.

Now that’s out of the way, let’s refocus because Zach will bounce back this week against the 4th easiest team to score on at the moment, Collingwood. But amazingly, although they are giving up points, they rank at #1 for being the hardest to score 100+ against.

Zach scored 137 against them earlier this year and loves playing at the MCG where he has averaged 123 this year from 5 games. Last week, the Hawks had 4 players score over 105 against the Pies and this indicates to me that Zach will bounce back this week, and will reward those who are brave enough after being burnt badly last weekend.

GWS MAKING IT TOUGH AGAIN

The Giants are  by far the hardest team to score Fantasy points against and this week, the pig himself Tom Mitchell tried to get the job done down in Tassie at the UTas Stadium.

Forecast is set to be bloody cold, Tom will be waking up in the morning with the temperature at 0, only for it to warm by the arvo, hitting 12 degrees.

The Giants rank as the #1 hardest team to score against this season and #2 over the last three weeks, behind Carlton who are currently at #1.

Now, Dangerfield didn’t struggle last week when he racked up 142, and even Menegola managed 113, they were the only two successfully Cats.

So where does Tom Mitchell sit here? We’ll he played against the Giants last year for scores of 75, 98 and 111. Not great! But he does love playing in Tassie where he has scored 132 and 125 this year, but they weren’t against the mighty GWS.

Mitchell’s form has been amazing though with a lowest score of only 108 this year and 135 and 117 coming over his last two games. In a week where picking a captain is a little tricky, then maybe we just lock in Tom and hope for a simple 100 and move on our merry way.

EASY ONE FOR DANGER

After playing the tricky Giants and still scoring 142, Patrick Dangerfield now finds himself up against the easiest team to score against over the last three weeks in the Brisbane Lions.

He scored 112 and 107 in his last two against them but it’s his form here which really blows me away and seels the deal. 142, 134, 116, 131, 125 and 156 are his last six games as this $2.15 Brownlow favourite chases another shiny medal.

Danger has been tagged by Mitch Robinson in the past and with no tag coming his way in this one, he’ll smash out something big once again.

BLUE BOYS ON FIRE

When will someone go and stand next to Sam Docherty? He’s doing as he pleases at the moment coming off scores of 132, 126, 143, 149, 130 and 119. Absolutely insane.

He’s the #2 man when it comes to form and had 101 against the Demons already this year and prior to that he had 108 and 106.

If Doch is the #2 man in the game, that makes Bryce Gibbs the #1 man after his 160, 104 and 190 in his last 3. He scored 93 when he met these guys earlier this year and has been on fire. Therefore, is this the week for Bernie Vince to tag someone again?

Surely it must happen at some point, but Vince looks pretty comfortable hanging out in the defensive half at the moment and therefore I’m very doubtful he’ll get tapped on the shoulder to do a job this week.

Click here to subscribe on iTunes.

JUST QUICKLY…

Adam Treloar v Essendon @ the MCG – Scored 144 on the Bombers this year and before that he scored 129, 102 and 130. Averaging 112 in his last three, which includes his poor 98 last week. He’ll be big here.

Gary Ablett v Sydney @ the SCG – 127 on the weekend and here he is up against one of his all time favourites. 124 and146 are his last two games against them but being at the SCG, this might be a little trickier. I’ll back him in again though.

Rory Sloane v Bulldogs @ Adelaide Oval – Only had 83 last week and hasn’t scored over 80 in his last 3 against the Dogs. You never know what you’ll get with this guy though.

Luke Parker v Gold Coast @ the SCG – Is he back? 148 last week and had 121 in his last game against the Suns. I’m not jumping on him until I see a few more great games like last weekend.

Josh Kelly v Hawthorn @ UTas Stadium – Only had 95 on the Hawks last year, but they’re much easier than what they were, in fact, they rank as the second easiest team to play over the last three weeks.

Taylor Adams v Essendon @ the MCG – 88 this year on the Bombers and 108, 127 and 127 before that.

Josh Kennedy v Gold Coast @ the SCG – JPK scored 124 on the Suns last year.

Dayne Zorko v Geelong @ the GABBA – 124 last week but his numbers on the Cats are disgusting with 65, 89 and 59 coming in his last few. Yuk!

Steele Sidebottom v Essendon @ the MCG – Managed 100 last week, to average 119 in his last three games. Loves the Bombers with previous scores of 90, 144, 91, 109, 124, 126 and 143.

Andrew Gaff v Port Adelaide @ Domian Stadium– Hasn’t scored a ton against the Power in his last four games. Passing on Gaff based on this, despite being at home and coming off a ripper last week.

Dan Hannebery v Gold Coast @ the SCG – Absolutely smashes the Suns and if you want a roughie, this is it with previous scores of 115, 117, 133, 106 and 102. His form though… ugly with 51 last week and nothing over 90 in his last 3.

Tom Rockliff v Geelong @ the GABBA – 123, 124 and 140 are his last three against the Cats and although this one is at the GABBA, Rocky hasn’t been the pig we love. He’ll come good, but we must wait before making him our captain.

ODDS: For those who would like to see the odds for my top 5 for Calvin’s Captains for round 16, please follow the link provided right HERE.

1. Mor

July 5, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Zerrett also versed the easiest team in the comp, that didn’t go well so I won’t go danger

• David C

July 6, 2017 at 11:42 am

Zerrett’s TOG was well down so he obviously was not 100% last week.

• The Wizard

July 6, 2017 at 2:57 pm

the average fantasy points table in the my team section had incorrect data when Calvin made his calculations, BL were showing 2025 pts against over the last 3 weeks whereas they are actually 1525 pts which ranks them as the 5th hardest over that time. with that in mind i wouldn’t risk Danger as capt, let alone no 1 as he could be the next Zerrett.

2. Jaxon

July 5, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Bringing in Gibbs is worrying me with Vince this week… Surely they don’t run with Gibbs?

• David C

July 6, 2017 at 11:43 am

Reckon they might. Paying top $ for Gibbs as well.

3. Martin

July 5, 2017 at 7:12 pm

This year is different for Dusty, 1. Bigger contract to be offered and 2. Best player award. Watch him score freely.

• Tigers

July 5, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Dusty hasnt played the saints this year. We have a game this weekend against them and another in rd23

• Martin

July 6, 2017 at 2:58 am

Read my comment above again and then again. As it states basically this year is his big pay day (season), he continues the way he is playing, either Richmond or another club is going to have to offer really big money for his signature. If he starts to play like Rich or Caddy, his value is halved easily. Have I lost you (Tigers)? If I have, read the above comment again, but three times, not being a smart ass, just trying to keep you on track. Now if he wins the best player award, add at least another $150,000 to $200,000 a year to that contract. Now do you understand champ (Tiger). I never mentioned in the above comment that Richmond has played the Saints this year. What the hell, read it again at least another five times, if you still disagree in what I stated, start barracking for Collingwood(sorry pie fans the temptation was to great). BYE

• Facepalm

July 6, 2017 at 7:16 am

You’d give an aspirin a headache, Marty old son. Not sure why you got so butthurt over a simple observation, but the irony of your response is purely brilliant. Have a cup of tea and a good lie down mate; you’ll be right.

• Martin

July 6, 2017 at 9:34 am

I was bored shitless at 2am in the morning and doing a night shift. When I saw that comment, I couldn’t help myself.

• knickers

July 6, 2017 at 7:34 am

Slight over reaction..

• Martin

July 6, 2017 at 9:35 am

Maybe, felt good 😊. Haha.

• Recall

July 6, 2017 at 9:43 am

Best player award 😂. You lost all credibility with that statement champ. Read this comment as much as you like haha

• Martin

July 6, 2017 at 11:11 am

Sorry Recall, at the time, I totally forget about the player of the award, Brownlow. I have no problem with your comment, you understood what was written, don’t like Tigers.

• The Wizard

July 6, 2017 at 3:21 pm

If you weren’t so tired when reading Tigers comment you may have realised it wasn’t even meant to be a reply to you but a post in reference to Calvins write up. Calvin had stated that Dusty had scored 86 earlier this year against STK when in actual fact it was in the only game they versed them in 2016, hence his comment. Now instead of going off the handle at some poor person who obviously hit reply instead of posting their own comment, you could have easily come to the same conclusion as i have by taking your own advice and reading the comment again and then again, I think a public apology would be acceptable.

• Martin

July 6, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Well if that was the case, I’m sorry, But why press reply to the previous comment, when there where a few comments after mine. As you have noticed that person hasn’t defended their comment as yet. And before you tell me to take my own advice, I don’t need to proof read articles that are published on this site. I know the authors are human and read them for fun if anything else. Because that is what Tigers is doing. In another article, joking Tigers points out how the author has three trades this week. Before you get on your political correctness soapbox and defend this person. Take a deep breath and sod off with your mother bear attitude. Bye.

• The Wizard

July 6, 2017 at 5:16 pm

A conditional apology wasn’t quite what i had in mind, but it’s a start, good try. Why the person pushed reply is anyone’s guess as you pointed out we are human. The person probably hasn’t defended their comment because (A) no need to defend an obvious mistake,(B) Hasn’t the ability to respond to such a condescending post, or (C) can’t be bothered feeding you. I wasn’t asking you to proof read articles, i merely suggested if you had of read the post correctly in the first place you may not have responded so harshly. Tigers post re 3 trades was in Jeppas juniors and i don’t think he jokingly pointed out, i believe it was a legit question. I also wouldn’t call it proof reading when someone has the IQ to pick up on anomaly’s in articles, and in fact i think it is a good idea to bring some mistakes to everyone’s attention, especially if the information could impact on their trading or fielding/Capt decisions. The sabre rattling you are doing with your final sentence almost goaded me into the same retaliatory response but i will resist the urge to attack. Instead i will just point out that you don’t actually know me from the next person, so to infer that i have a leaning towards political correctness, or a mother bear attitude is pure speculation on your part. Let me assure you i don’t. What i do have though, is the inability to ignore a post that is both condescending and bullying in nature, no matter who posts it and who it’s posted to. i also have the integrity to call it out when i see it.

• Martin

July 6, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Sorry I didn’t organise a media press release, apology for you. To answer your point, A. That’s your opinion, B. Tigers slow witted and C. Tigers is lazy. Sums up those points. With the articles, I don’t care if there is mistakes, I do my own thing and I learn more from the comments than the articles itself. Trying to convince me, Tiger has an high IQ, that is debatable. If the last sentence, upset you, hardened up buttercup, stop the crying, get out of the foetal position. If you are going to be Tigers saviour, man up, leave the touchy-feely crap at the front door. Now that we got that out of the way, Tigers legit question, I was using diplomacy, saying Tigers was joking. “How are you getting witherdon, darcy and gibbs jeppa… you got 3 trades mate?” To me, that’s either a treat or accusation that Jeppa is getting an advantage. My favourite, your opinion that I’m a bully again your opinion counts, my doesn’t buttercup. Bye

• Tigers80

July 6, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Your a f**kwit! Bye

• Martin

July 7, 2017 at 6:48 am

Unlike buttercup, I won’t lose any sleep over your opinion,

• The Wizard

July 6, 2017 at 11:13 pm

Now that’s a perfect example of someone with a high IQ. Well said.

• Martin

July 7, 2017 at 6:43 am

Is that right buttercup

4. Henry

July 5, 2017 at 7:15 pm

After dropping 120 points in 2 weeks be cause I captained Rocky (round 14) and Zerrett (round 15) instead of Danger, I’ve learned my lesson. Danger is now welded into the captain’s spot.

• Grovers Guns

July 5, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Exactly same as myself. Only times I have given them Ç they have failed.

Nice feeling though having all of the top 5

5. James

July 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Zorko or Martin to bring in?

• Liam Mac

July 5, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Zorko

• David C

July 6, 2017 at 12:00 pm

I brought in Martin. Zorko might get Selwood following him around if he plays.

• Zorko

July 9, 2017 at 1:41 pm

D’oh! I captained Zorko this week

6. Liam Mac

July 5, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Anyone thinking Kelly a sneaky PoD captain choice? Im a bit cautious with danger and zerrett but titch is a safe 100? not sure who to C

7. Dawg

July 5, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Until Titch gives me a reason not to captain him, he’s auto-captain in my side for the year (has been and will be).

8. Andy

July 5, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Danger, then Mitchell (but I’m tempted to take Gibbs, who I have had all year).

9. Stalliondongs

July 5, 2017 at 9:04 pm

2nd time i went with Calvin last week and went zerrett and well we know how that went.So just going with mr reliable in Docherty.

10. The Spud

July 5, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Have gut feeling that Danger might not show the same level of effort against the bottom placed Brisbane as he normally does. I don’t think he will attack as many contests. For this reason I’ll be going Zerrett, who I reckon will respond from last week by absolutely pigging it up at the G. Also think that Duncan is in for a big one racking up in both the inside and outside.

• chief007

July 5, 2017 at 10:57 pm

Danger wont show the same effort???? U don’t win a brownlow with that sort of effort danger last 3 ave of 130 merrett 116.

11. hsy

July 5, 2017 at 10:47 pm

anyone thinking sneeky gaff?

• Grovers Guns

July 6, 2017 at 10:35 am

Weather will hurt

12. chief007

July 5, 2017 at 10:58 pm

101,106,85 laat 3 before his 130 last weeks prob better around

13. Jakob

July 5, 2017 at 11:09 pm

can I wait for Sean Darcy next week or do i need to get him now

• J

July 6, 2017 at 1:24 am

He will be $55K more expensive next week

14. Hogan

July 6, 2017 at 9:32 am

I have a feeling Rocky and Hanners are both going to go big this weekend. I don’t have either of them and aren’t getting them this week. Just have that nagging feeling I should.

• Simon

July 6, 2017 at 11:28 am

BEs are up around 160, so you could probably still get them at a discount if they did

15. Bandit

July 6, 2017 at 9:51 am

Captain dilemma:
    Can only do one of these trades, do I:
    Trade jj to K Simpson or
    Trade Cotchin to Titch and give him the C??

16. bguytv

July 6, 2017 at 10:01 am

gaff or sidey in ?

17. yehkaj

July 6, 2017 at 10:20 am

do we keep hanners or not cos im in that deilema ?

• Simon

July 6, 2017 at 11:32 am

Keep. Premo scores go up AND down, not up OR down.

Gibbs had a 5-week stretch where his scores were: 95, 101, 102, 98 and 103. Not terrible scores, but about 20 guys were going 110+ at this time and temptation would have been to jump off or risk getting left behind. He’s rewarded those who held on.

Nothing written in the stars that says Hanners can’t turn his season around, as unlikely as it does seem… but we were all saying that about Parker a week or so ago.

• Johnny Sins

July 6, 2017 at 7:49 pm

What about Jack Steven, guy is giving me nightmares at M8???

• Daniel

July 7, 2017 at 3:34 pm

Exactly the same as what Simon said. Keep him in and let him find his form

18. Alan

July 6, 2017 at 10:28 am

Just want to say to the DT community – I’m Sorry (but not really)..

I’m getting Docherty into my team this week FINALLY, so I’d just like to apologise in advance for his massive fall from grace that’s set to commence on Sunday at 15:20..

• Roger

July 6, 2017 at 11:02 am

I need him to have a bad week very soon to get him into my team

• Alan

July 6, 2017 at 11:10 am

Well it’s Doch this week or get in Menegola/Stevens/Hill and hope for a price drop in the next couple weeks, but his next 3-4 games seem like easy ones..

• Tommygun

July 9, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Don’t worry about it, even your bad joss can’t stop the Doch

19. Chris

July 6, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Im with Alan, Got Rocky in and hasnt fired, got Zerret in last week and look what happened. Doch just got the call up so im sorry also to everyone who has him.

20. Liam

July 6, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Rocky for a big one this week!!

21. Hijacker

July 6, 2017 at 11:00 pm

Bring in jack trengove for some cash (worried about job security though)?

22. Daniel

July 7, 2017 at 3:33 pm

Funny feeling both the Crouch brothers will be going off tonight. Tempted to put the C on Brad as he gets most his points from tackles, and its pissing down wet here in Adelaide. Somebody talk me out of it…

23. Liam

July 7, 2017 at 3:54 pm

What about Sidey as a POD captain?