Weekend Wash-Up

The Weekend Wash-Up – Bye Round 1

What Round was it this week? I’m not even sure anymore.

What Round was it this week? I’m not even sure anymore. All I know is it was yet another weekend filled with pain and agony in Fantasy land. I just want to take the opportunity to say I hope the players are really enjoying this week off, because it has to be worth us enduring less scoring, less fun and less football! It’s time for the weekend wash-up.

Legends

Ebert (142) – This joke has gone too far now. Brad Ebert is doing his best to keep Port Adelaide Fantasy relevant, and in any other season his average would make him a top 8 midfielder! It’s not though. Still, a great pickup for during the byes.

Burton (118) – The one that got away….. Hawks fans I want to know, did you: a) Pull a sneaky one and sneak him into your Fantasy teams without telling anyone or b) Have your head 2 feet up your ass? Rising star.

Dangerfield (131) – For some reason I’ve been under the illusion that Dangerfield hasn’t been at the level he was last season. You could say he loves Skilled Stadium, his 3 Round home average of 137 has taken his season average to 116. When he hits this kind of form he’s nearly unstoppable, if you don’t own him I’d be making that a Round 13 priority, not that it needs stating.

S.Selwood (125) – Is it bad that my first thought when I saw this score was “Boy oh boy wowee how about that”? Word for word. Anyway, that was a statement from Scooter! He has averaged 110 before and there’s no reason why he can’t average triple figures this season. I don’t think there’s much value left in him now that we’re trying to build our perfect squads, but some huge price rises are still to come!

J.Selwood (117) – When Joel Selwood was nearly killed during the first quarter, his owners must have feared the worst. He shouldn’t have been conscious, let alone walking off the field. Incredibly he was stitched up and back out on the ground to keep scoring before the quarter time siren. Amazing. I need that kind of guts in my squad, what a man.

Image result for andy otten

Greenwood (94) – I usually leave the rookie pump ups to Jeppa, but due to the horrific scoring of our rookies this week Greenwood deserves a knighthood! Not all heroes wear capes, but perhaps Hugh should. Tackling machine.

Sheed (126) – Connor Blakely has been my breakout favourite this season, and Dom Sheed has just stormed onto my 2018 radar. Heck, with a 4 round average of 100 he’s still value this season! He has always had the potential and it’s great to see him finally stepping up. Now let’s hope his team mates can do the same.

Barlow (108) – Anyone doubting Barlow as a top 6 forward is misguided. He will comfortably average 95, if not closer to 100. I only wish I could have afforded him last week! Oh wait I could. Cheers for your only contribution to my squad Mitch Hibberd.

Z.Williams (133) – There must be thousands of salty draft owners around the Country. He’s not reliable enough to own in Fantasy, then he decides to go and waste this score during the byes! Painful.

Kelly (159) – Man crush growing, growing, grown! Rockliff’s injury was a disaster but it has produced one of my only positive trades this season. Watching Josh Kelly tear it up against Collingwood reminded me of just about every great Dreamteamer. Handball receives like Ablett, tackling like Rocky, gut running +6’s like Swanny. His game has it all, so this monster score doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. He’s having a very similar breakout Fantasy season to Zach Merrett last year, make no mistake he’s in the top 8 midfielders. Next season I want to start with Rocky, Mitchell, Merrett, Dangerfield, Martin, Kelly, Treloar and Ablett. Don’t really care about the rest of my team.

Martin (164) – How good would it be to own the form player in the competition?! Dusty owners must be loving life every time he decides to rock up and get another 3 votes. It’s all or nothing and this performance was everything. He’s now on the top of my shopping list after his bye! Hang on, I just remembered I now don’t own Rockliff… And I already have 8 premium midfielders. Whoops.

Cotchin (148) – Who are you and what did you do with Trent Cotchin this week?! He wound back the clock with this effort. It’s funny, I say that like he’s now 32 and well past his prime. He’s only 27! Is there still time for him to return to that 2012 form? Marc Murphy says yes.

Prestia (137) – Dion Prestia remembered how to football on Saturday night. Watchlist in Fantasy, browse through the free agents in Drafts!

Sidebottom (127) – Criminally underrated in Fantasy land, Sidey continues to do his thing on a wing and up forward. A couple of 60’s have ruined his season average, if you bought him in the last 2 weeks kudos to you!

J.Smith (131) – This is now 3 tons on the trot, do we take Josh Smith seriously? He was an elite draft pick, although once again this score is likely wasted. Hopefully his form is a finally here to stay! Cue a 60 next week.

Treloar (117) – Fun fact: When I haven’t owned Treloar this season he has averaged 123. When I have, it’s 100. He’s nearly dead to me, but is now priced nicely @$613k and becoming a post bye bargain. What comes first, self pride or having a better team? Yep, self pride for sure.

SHOP NOW: Tom Mitchell beanie | Tom Rockliff beanie

Losers

Gray (38) – Robbie I get that you’re playing up forward this year, but you’re still allowed to touch the football. Just touch it. We’ll work on getting a disposal next, baby steps. I can’t wrap my head around his scores, this is his third score below 40 this season. Gray is performing like a rookie, and soon he’ll be priced like one. I’ve already got enough players capable of scoring 30’s thank you very much.

Pittard (65) – I had a good laugh when I saw this score. We often overthink things in Fantasy, and this is one of those occasions. I won’t lie Pittard did come into consideration for my team, that was before I slapped myself in the face and woke the f**k up. Then again, I have Mumford. Play on.

Laird (65) – I’ll forgive Rory for this score due to a head knock, but after watching Joel Selwood it comes with a warning. Next time, unless your head has been severed clean from your neck, I expect 80. Big score owed next week.

Otten (40) – There can be no room for special treatment. Andy, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.

Lloyd (34) – Realistically I have a lot weaker links than Otten, Daniel Lloyd tops that pile. What does he do in the NEAFL? Does he look similar to another player who actually finds the footy? Do the statisticians just plug a bunch of randomly generated numbers into a spreadsheet? That’s my guess. Unreal. I can’t get him to M8 (Or F8) quick enough.

Image result for daniel lloyd gws

Myers (52) – Remind me David, why did we pay the premium for you? The job security? Perhaps we should have made sure he could score first! In fairness GWS away is about as tough as it gets, next week is a line in the sand game for many Round 13 rookies, Myers is no exception. I hope they play like it.

Zaharakis (66) – Yeaaaahhhhhh… Cash out.

Vickers-Willis (42) – I’d burn him but in reality, did you expect anything else? It’s a heartbeat. Barely.

Walters (59) – Ah yes thank you ever so much Ross. Walters was on track for a solid enough score at 3 quarter time playing through the midfield. What happens next? He goes forward in the final term and scores ZERO. ZEROOOOOOO. I now have to decide whether to trade Mumford or Walters this week. Or just delete my team. It wouldn’t be a Fantasy article without a sh*tty deleting team reference!!!

Ryan (36) – Last and definitely least was Luke Ryan’s debut. I was genuinely wondering what he looked like deep into the third term. The less said the better, he’s straight onto my bench this week and won’t be leaving it for the rest of the season. God help me if he does.

Despite the bye pain, the list of legends far outweighed the losers this week. However there was only two clear winners, so for the first time in Stubby history we’re going head to head.

Josh Kelly – 38 disposals, 5 marks, 10 tackles, 7 clearances, 10 inside 50’s, 1 goal and 159 Fantasy points. Carries a 5 round average of 129.8. North can politely shove their 9 year offer where the sun doesn’t shine. My vote. My hero.

Dustin Martin – 38 disposals, 8 marks, 6 tackles, 9 clearances, 9 inside 50’s, 2 goals and 164 Fantasy points. Carries a 3 round average of 139.7. The umpires can’t miss him, hint hint. 27% of the competition got it right.

So, who gets your vote?!

This Game Sh*ts Me

Rookies. Why do we always have to rely on bloody rookies. We actually got a good run of it at the start of the season. Otten, Hampton, Newman, Marchbank, Williamson, Barrett, Kennedy, Hannan, McGrath, Butler, SPS, SPP, Taranto and lately Stewart have all performed to or above expectations. But who has come through after Round 3? Aaron Black failed miserably. Balic is gone. Lloyd is struggling. Berry can’t score. Parsons is holding up Black’s spot. Myers was meant to be the great saviour, but he isn’t exactly lighting it up. I guess Vickers-Willis is still playing… Thank god for Hugh Greenwood, otherwise we’d be in a state of panic.

It says everything when I’m just glad Scharenberg can junk his way to 53… This game sh*ts me.

The Other Bits and Pieces

1624. Absolutely diabolical. I’m not even bothering to research what happened in that year, a King probably burned down a City somewhere. I’d say that was going to be my worst bye Round, but with Pickett a plague I can’t shake and a recent run of Round 13 rookies I’m not relaxing just yet. I’ll have a solid 22 this week, might as well enjoy it while I can!

We have a new batch of DPP’s and I’m stoked with them! I’ve heard some people complaining, but what were you expecting? Dustin Martin forward? Dangerfield? I gave Newnes a shoutout in the Round 10 washup and that was when he was sole mid. He’s an absolute lock for me this week. Get on board. Menegola is a nice forward addition also!

As far as trades go it’s finally time for me to cash in Preuss, allowing me to get Newnes for Otten. It also gives me a nice kitty for next week, and most importantly the chance to never have to worry about Shane Mumford again. That’s up there with my Heritier Lumumba experiment. Unfortunately I’m left with no choice but to get Kreuzer. Help me, because I can’t help myself. My best tip to get a decent rank is not to worry about finding that one in ten breakout, just don’t be a moron.

Good luck next week, I can see our scores returning to the 21st century!

1. Turtle head

June 6, 2017 at 7:58 am

Funny point on greenwood and not all Hero’s wear capes, his nickname around the club is Thor.

2. Robbie Gray is a spud

June 6, 2017 at 8:42 am

What does one unlucky to own Robbie Gray do with him? He was purchased at 530k and he now sits at 408k with a BE of 120. I’ve figured I’ve already lost so much money I may aswell hold, but I can’t deal with it anymore. IT”S KILLING ME

• Raf

June 6, 2017 at 9:40 am

just go and nek it

• JJOker

June 6, 2017 at 10:10 am

Pony up the extra 30k and grab scooter he’ll make it back

3. thebopper58

June 6, 2017 at 9:08 am

Great write up Matt!!
    Robbie
    I was thinking of picking you up this week until yet another ordinary score
    Maybe downgrade to Callum Brown then spread the cash in other areas
    There’s no doubting he’s injured but he’ll continue to bleed more cash
    I know how one feels as i’ve had Priddis (whose been consistent) but doesn’t pump out huge scores
    He becomes Rockliff this week for me
    Good luck

4. Alan

June 6, 2017 at 10:47 am

As always, loving the write up.. Ross the Boss screwed me royally this week, just needed Walters to carry a 85ish average till Rd 13, but no dice….

After doing a double downgrade plus one upgrade last week, I’m doing the reverse this week.

1. Upgrade Otten to Hanley (underpriced DEF who can avergae 90+)
    2. Downgrade WHE or Walters to big Willie Buzza (he can sit on my bench, I’m confident he’ll get games this year at some point)
    3. Upgrade Polson or Mountford to Heeney (think he’ll go 95+ for the rest of the year)

Just need to decide whether WHE against Melbourne or Walters against Brisbane is a better score for 1 week and whether Polson or Mountford have the better chance of playing again this year..

• TimorSaint

June 6, 2017 at 11:10 am

what makes you sure Buzza will get games – im looking for a dud ruck rookie as well … looking at surnam only cause he is DEF/Ruck

• Andy McCoy

June 6, 2017 at 11:51 am

buzza will not play

• SOgnenis

June 6, 2017 at 11:57 am

Doing well in the VFL, Hawkins will be out for a week (hoping its him not Black).

• Kanye West

June 6, 2017 at 11:59 am

He has been ripping it up in the VFL and Tom Hawkins has got one week. May be a chance to play round 13.
        All speculation however, it wont make a difference to my on-field team if he plays or not

• Alan

June 6, 2017 at 12:29 pm

TimorSaint –

Not 110% convinced he’ll play after the bye, but I’ve seen most of the VFL games (big GFC fan) and he puts effort in off the ball which is a good sign that he’s hungry for his chance and he’s been playing well enough to get a good 3-6 games before the end of the year..

He’s just going to replace my F8 at this stage and move to R4 once Preuss has played another 3-4 games and made some extra cash.. Getting him for flexibility and to replace another rookie I don’t think will get any more games this year (Polson)

• the Cricket

June 6, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Am I the only one who’s been burned by Chris Scott with rookies? Shades of Horse …

Will

June 6, 2017 at 4:23 pm

tom stewart and parsons have been given a good run at it, Ruggles last year too, so nah not valid.

• The Cricket

June 6, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Glad Black and O’Connor are working out well for you then

Will

June 7, 2017 at 8:52 am

never traded in oconnor, not sure why anyone would have. Black however, yeah that sucks, can’t see what he did so wrong to get dropped. :\

5. Geoff

June 6, 2017 at 10:58 am

Great write up Matt.

I can’t decide. Hibberd or Newnes?

6. Daniel

June 6, 2017 at 11:06 am

OK, so Roo, Ratkins and Rotten have to go for various reasons.

Rocky, Newnes come in, which leaves me $436k to spend on a mid or fwd who has already had their bye.

All my typical selection processes point me back to Bailey Dale. $310, ave 68, BE 23.

Anyone know anything about him? Comments on JS especially appreciated.

• Simon

June 6, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Great footy player (reasonable JS), rubbish Fantasy player

• Monitor

June 6, 2017 at 5:29 pm

He is in for me as right age to have a late season break out and JS will be ok going forward. Allows me to do a fair bit in defence and mids over next two weeks

7. Ayden

June 6, 2017 at 11:35 am

Would hate to see what people are fielding after byes to get rocky in over two premo

• SOgnenis

June 6, 2017 at 11:59 am

Is he going to be <700k for the rest of the season?
      If not, can you afford not to have him?
      Which two premos can you get for 700k?

• Gogs

June 8, 2017 at 12:03 am

I am currently doing double downgrade to get Rocky – but may do a last minute switch if rookie options do not materiakise (currently Cousins & Willsmore or CBrown)

Team structure still good but not perfect (I think):

D: Adams, Lloyd, Tuohy, Pittard, ZJones, Stewart (Ryan, OConnor)
      M: Rocky, Titch, Zerrett, dusty, Danger, Treloar, Gaff, Fyfe (Cuz, Willsmore)
      R: Stef, Nank (Soldo, Cameron)
      F: McCrae, Dahl, Barlow, Steele, Burton, Greenwood (Butler, Lloyd)

Trading out Taranto, Myers, Otten to get Rocky + 2 rooks.
      Going 2 value Premo types (Henney, JPK, Koby, etc) does not leave my team feeling better than start of byes.
      A rookie tidy up next week and maybe Fyfe goes sideways. Leaves a solid R14 starting point I think….

• Gogs

June 8, 2017 at 12:08 am

…and I would need to dump Burton early to get 2 other good premo.
        Only $84k going into this week as grabbed Dusty last week !

8. Harry

June 6, 2017 at 11:53 am

Is Bont to Rocky worth it?

• Kanye West

June 6, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Probably not

• Jadstar

June 6, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Its ROCKY!!!
      It’s a yes from me

9. luke martin

June 6, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Who would you rather in order…

Mitch Wallis, Menegola, Barlow, Koby Stevens, nick riewoldt

• Alan

June 6, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Barlow, Menegola, Stevens, Wallis, Roo..

Injury free Roo puts him in first place though.

• Henry

June 6, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Riewoldt will never be far from injury for the rest of the year. Huge gamble. Agree with Alan’s listing, though.

10. Clarke W Griswold

June 6, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Thoughts on going Menegola over Franklin as a FWD. And coz he’s a DPP now?

11. the Cricket

June 6, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Enough with the Myers bashing, Matt! He’s played 5 consecutive games, his price has gone up $84k and his BE is still only 36. His job security is good. Not too much to complain about I reckon.

12. ChickenDinner

June 6, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Hahah lumumba! Never thought I’d hear that name again. Nightmares ensue tonight thanks :)

On a serious note, help please… trades at this stage ..

Fyfe, Otten, Nank OUT
    Rocky, Doch, $150k Rookie IN

Should I save some money and go Newnes instead of Doch? Or pay the money for proven gun?

Thanks guys

• David C

June 6, 2017 at 3:51 pm

I’d take the value while it’s there. You are paying top dollar for Rocky. Go Newnes now, get Doch later.

• Jadstar

June 6, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Saving the cash for….
      I’d take doc over newnes any day of the week.
      You pay for quality!!!!

• ChickenDinner

June 6, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Hmm that’s 50/50! No matter what I do, the other option will end up being better! Haha

13. Andy

June 6, 2017 at 6:40 pm

Yes, I like the look of Menegola as a forward. Could replace Roughead in my team.

14. Andy

June 6, 2017 at 6:43 pm

1624: England declares war on France.

15. Trouty

June 6, 2017 at 11:16 pm

Rocky, Doc or JPK?
    Brought in Newnes and Ryan so far

16. Liam

June 7, 2017 at 12:16 am

What’s everyone thoughts on the following trades…..?

Out