The Game

Benjo’s PODs – Round 15

Benjo is back to take you through some intense POD selections! This week features, Brodie Smith, Nathan Jones, Shaun McKernan and Nick Riewoldt.

Hi guys and welcome to the Round 15 edition of Benjo’s PODs. Each week I’ll be having a look at PODs from each of the four positions.

DEFENCE

Brodie Smith

Smith should be a popular trade-in option for many DT coaches around Australia, but is he too risky?

• Smith is only priced at 343k! He’s priced similarly to Saad and 50k less than popular rookie defender, Oxley!
  • Smith averaged 82 last year, so if he can average similar to this, he should be a good D6 option.
  • Smith has a break even of 58, so he should make you some cash.
  • The Crows star has only gone below 5 marks twice this year! Serious points on offer.
  • Smith can also find lots of the pill, as he showed against Collingwood in round 2, collecting 29 possessions.

Verdict:
Given Smith’s price tag, he is a great downgrade/sideways trade option. Smith is easily capable of an 80+ average. Lock and load.

MIDFIELD

JPK is the number 1 option this week to trade into your side. I repeat, number 1!

Nathan Jones

You might think I’m crazy, but Jones is a legitimate option heading into the last half of the season.

• 2.21% ownership!
  • Melbourne play, Essendon, Brisbane and St Kilda in their next three games. Essendon gave up 8 hundreds on the weekend to St Kilda.
  • Jones has averaged 117 in the last month, and 108 in his last six games, and this guy is only 530k!
  • Jones only managed 3 scores under 80 last year! Talk about consistency!
  • Jones averages 25 disposals this year, 4 tackles and 2 marks.

Verdict:
First, get in JPK, then consider Jones. Jones can easily average 105 from now to seasons end, and he is very cheap in that regard.

RUCK

Shaun McKernan

McKernan should almost be the number one downgrade option this week.

• He’s averaged 20 disposals in the last two weeks.
  • McKernan’s got a break even of -3, so he should go up in cash drastically over the next few weeks.
  • He’s averaged 4 marks, and 20 hit outs, so he’s doing well in that sense.

Verdict:
McKernan is a great option this week, although he should be at R2/F6 at best in your side.

FORWARD

Nick Riewoldt

Rooooo! My boy Nick Riewoldt is a must have!

• Roo has only averaged under 90 three times in his entire career! He has averaged under 85 once!
  • Roo averaged 110 in his last five games!
  • Saint Nick averages 11 marks a game.
  • Riewoldt averages 2.2 goals a game in his career, and has the potential to kick up to 5 goals in a game.
  • Roo also averages 19 disposals a game.
  • He has a kick to handball ratio of 2.3 : 1!

Verdict:
At this stage of the season, we have to look for fallen premiums, that will average over 100 for the weeks that you own them for. Roo is underpriced for what he is capable of, and should be the number one upgrade target in the forward line.

AROUND THE GROUNDS

My team scored 2153 in Fantasy, which I was a bit disappointed with. I got hit with quite a lot of carnage midweek, with Stef suspended, and Docherty out with a hammy. I had to field Schade as a result, who scored 10 points, all in the first quarter.

Important:

• Just quickly, I mentioned Macrae in my article as a ‘must have’, three weeks ago. Since then, he’s scored 120 and 117. You should be happy if you picked him up!
  • Look for fallen premiums! Gazza is on his way down, Rocky is most likely going to return this week, Lewis is hitting form again, and Sidebottom is only 520k!
  • Select rookies that you are happy with to have in your final side. There is no point trading in a ‘Byrne’ type player now just to make cash. Colquhoun and McKernan are great options.

Good luck this week! I hope you enjoyed the seventh edition of Benjo’s PODs.

Comment your trade ideas down below and I’ll try to get to as many as possible!

Click here to subscribe on iTunes.

1. Logan

July 7, 2015 at 7:19 pm

I think you have hit the nail on the head with Nathan Jones last three rounds avg of 111 and as you said next three games are Essendon, Brisbane and St Kilda. You forgot to mention his next five games are at MCG which he scores very well at. I got him in last week, I think he is a better option than JPK and will avg more like 110 if not 115 towards the end of the season.

• gogs

July 7, 2015 at 7:25 pm

N Jones has always worried me in previous seasons as he can throw in a random 50-60pts when not interested or tagging/ running with someone!
      He is always on my pre & mid season watch list but never makes it into my team…

• Logan

July 7, 2015 at 7:34 pm

In the past two seasons most of them 60 scores have been in the first half of the season and away from the MCG, however I understand what you mean.

Benjo

July 8, 2015 at 11:38 am

I was interested in Jones in the preseason, although I was put off with his early scores. I think he can average 105, which makes him a cheap POD.

2. gogs

July 7, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Great read every week to sense check my trade plans…

As usual you have me doing a re-think.
    Was going:
    Ox –> Kolo (had been thinking B Smith – but thought Kolo offered more pts – B Smith was next week plan)
    Saad –> Armo (Had JPK in since Sunday night but didm’t feel right leaving the extra $$$ on the shelf – still have $300k to trade up again next week…and put Steff back on the field!)

Switching plan to B Smith & JPK would increase my war chest to nearly $500k – is that too much to leave on the shelf.

Team is shaping up well considering carnage I have failed to avoid – good mix of popular and POD premos – RUC & FWD complete – DEF still needs some TLC and that is where the $$$ would be going over next few weeks – Rich to premo & possibly /Harry T upgrade as well – next plans were sideways upgrades of 2 of Wallis/Bont/Cripps to Rocky & Ablett.

• Crisis

July 7, 2015 at 9:27 pm

i wouldn’t worry too much about leaving money in the war chest. you only have 2 trades per week so bring in the players you want. sounds like you’re going to use the money leftover in the next week or 2 for upgrades anyway

Benjo

July 8, 2015 at 11:42 am

I still cannot trust bloody Kolo again… Averages 40 for me, and the week I get rid of him he goes on a run, typical.

If Smith scores 80+ this week, I’d bring him in. For now I’d probably go a Mundy type, or even Laird, and JPK. I love JPK…

I couldn’t stand Rich when I had him, so he must go, unless he is your D6 for now. Same with Taylor.

3. Nooie

July 7, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Thoughts on Ryan “AttacksDogs” Griffen?
    Three consecutive hundreds and under 400K
    Surely an option.

• samdiatmh

July 8, 2015 at 9:05 am

he’s a nice option as a floating half back (shh, but DPP might be possible) and would be a serviceable M8 until then

if you’re lacking the cash, then I’d strongly consider it

Benjo

July 8, 2015 at 11:47 am

Saints and GC in his next two as well…

Great option, but only if you’ve lost everything in your season, which I don’t think you have Nooie.

9 and 10 marks in his last two games. Wait one more week, and if he goes 90+, lock and load.

4. Big Boy

July 7, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Is Bernie Vince also a good option?
    I got him in last week based on the fact that he would make some cash (BE 42 last week). Seeing as though he has the same fixture as Jones and he scored 61 in the 2nd half, hard tagging in the 1st, did I make the right decision?!
    I am absolutely kidding myself that I did not get JPK at 24k cheaper, please give me some confidence

• boomstick

July 8, 2015 at 6:03 pm

yeah i think he’s good man! you’ve got him now, so go with it, i reckon he’ll do you alright. just nail your downgrades, fix up other plebs and don’t worry about him. you’ll do fine!

5. SpagBol

July 7, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Which option is the best in the FWD line??

1. Tom Mitchell
    2. Nick Riewolt
    3. Taylor Adams
    4. Jack Crisp
    5. Jack Ziebell
    6. Brett Delideo
    7. Jimmy Bartel

I am looking for a POD.. what is the best one in there??

• Shags

July 7, 2015 at 10:56 pm

As PODs go, I’d recommend Ziebell, hes been great in my RDT since I got him. Occasional 90ish score, and occasional big tonne.

Crisp is a player who is definitely a POD, but, Greenwood is back soon which makes me worry about his role.

bartel would be great if he gets back to pre injury form, i’d wait and see if thats the case. We all remember what happened when Rocky/Gaz came back from injury.

John Freed

July 7, 2015 at 11:17 pm

In order, for a POD:
      Bartel, Riewoldt, Mitchell, Deledio, Ziebell, Adams, Crisp
      However, all are good picks and have shown to be capable of averaging 95+ from here on. Except for Crisp. He is to much of an unknown and waaaayy to risky, especially with Greenwood back soon (this week)

6. Stewy

July 7, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Love the reads like always Benjo. One quick question. what are your thoughts on Tuohy and Liam Shiels

Benjo

July 8, 2015 at 11:48 am

Liam Shiels has been great lately, but the question is, are you willing to pay as much as JPK, or fallen premiums such as Gaz, Rocky, Sidey and Lewis? I like these options better.

7. Shags

July 7, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Great read Benjo, alwas good to have a few different POD’s to consider. I rarely have the balls to go for one. I dunno, I might go for N.Jones.

Benjo

July 8, 2015 at 11:49 am

Cheers Shags.

8. John Freed

John Freed

July 7, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Great read as always Benjo. I have a couple of PODs that I want your professional opinion regarding (or anyone else that has an opinion regarding these guys).
    D. Roberton (avg 105.3 since rd 9, BE of 42, GWS, Rich, Melb next 3, 1.97% ownership)
    Z. Tuohy (100, 116 last 2, BE of 31, Rich, Freo, Hawth next 3, 1.63% ownership)
    L. Shiels (avg 116.8 since rd 9, BE of 95, vested 39 in rd 1, 0.81% ownership)
    M. Murphy (avg 116 since rd 9, avg 100+ 2009-2012 including a 111 avg in 2011, 4.03% ownership)
    N. Dal Santo (109, 116 since returning from injury, 0.94% ownership)
    B. Longer (avg 93 last 3, BE of 29, 2.87% ownership)
    J. Crisp (3/5 last scores have been 100+ and one was a 99, 103.4 avg since rd 9, BE of 70, 2.44% ownership)

Also, I would hardly call McKernan a POD. 22.1% ownership is pretty high.
    Thanks!

Benjo

July 8, 2015 at 11:59 am

Thanks John.

I’m in a bit of a rush, so I’ll rate them out of 10.

Roberton: 8/10. I wouldn’t bring him in at this stage of the season though, as I’m a bit scared of Saints players. One week no one scores above 50, and the next they score 10 tons.
      Tuohy: 6.5/10. Hasn’t really ever shown a good DT game.
      Shiels: 8.5/10. Great POD! But do you want to pay that much to bring him in over fallen premiums? At this stage of the season I look for value in fallen premiums.
      Murphy: 9/10. Might even feature in next week’s article. Bring him in with confidence. He also has been performing better under Barker, which I’ve noticed.
      Dal Santo: 7.5/10. I had a look at him just recently, but I can’t bring myself to do it. Burnt me last year.
      Longer: 7/10. My mate has him, but I’d be pushing people to bring in the big four, consisting of, Stef, Goldy, Sauce and Blicavs.
      Crisp: 9/10. I love a POD, and Crisp is one I’ve been watching for ages! I’m not too sure what role he will play when Greenwood comes back.

Yeah, the ruck is the section where I struggle on the most each week.

Thanks Joh !

9. Sammy B

July 8, 2015 at 12:20 am

As conveniently priced as Smith is, I honestly can’t see him returning to his first round scores. In his absence, Laird has taken his sweeping half back/midfield role and completely made it his own, leaving Smith to play half back flank/pocket. Unless his role changes again, I think we’ll continue to see scores of 65-80.

John Freed

July 8, 2015 at 12:27 am

Smith has been pushed up to a wing in recent weeks, as well as late last year. His scoring will continue to be a solid 75+ from here on out imo.

John Freed

July 8, 2015 at 12:35 am

Compare the twos heat maps for the season to see this

• boomstick

July 8, 2015 at 1:43 am

holy crap! i was going to go oxley > colquon and cripps > rocky, but now you’ve got me looking at 2 other options:

1. oxley > roberton, cripps > rocky leaving 30k
          2. cripps > dal santo, hogan > riewoldt leaving 0k. and oxley too unfortunately , lol

2 is so deliciously POD-ish and feels so old school as well, may very well go with it. but something i never would’ve looked at before! am i crazy to do this?

John Freed

July 8, 2015 at 1:48 am

If you have research to back it up, then you aren’t crazy. And I have done research to back it up! Go for it!

• boomstick

July 8, 2015 at 1:54 am

yep, i’m doing it! man, the raw firepower at my disposal! moohoohoohoohooha!
            and makes for pretty much my last 2 on field rookie spots into 2 old school premo guns!

here is my team after that trade in case you’re interested. i’ve been aiming to trade in guys at least under 10% ownership all year.

DEF: Picken, Yeo, Laird, Hibberd, Newnes, Oxley (Hamling, Dick)
            MID: Beams, Lewis, Parker, Macrae, Neale, Wines, Wallis, Dal Santo (Krak, Dumont)
            RUC: Kreuzer, McKernan (STEF MARTIN, Holmesy)
            FWD: Martin, Swan, Titchell, Riewoldt, Gray, Dahlhaus (Steele, Clark)

• boomstick

July 8, 2015 at 1:55 am

oh yeah, forgot to say, thanks!!!!

John Freed

July 8, 2015 at 2:18 am

Any time, and I gotta say: that is an awesome team. But was Swan really under 10% at all this year? hahaha. Keep it up mate, it’s working for you!

• boomstick

July 8, 2015 at 2:41 am

haha, fair call! i do have quite a few guys with high ownership now. but mainly used POD’s as stepping stones throughout the year, grundy > jake spencer > now kreuz. rucks have been a revolving door actually! some not so good choices, lachie whitfield was luke warm, seedsman, a disaster! had wallis and wines early and had to trade them both out and back in. still not sure on wines. rage traded neale after r1, and back in by r3, in perfect time for his 36. lost rocky twice! enjoyed hodge for 1 week before his brain fart. traded kolo the week he came good. held beams, parker, through the early tough times. wow, got carried away in reflection mode. has been a wild ride though and a lot of fun!

thanks for the kind words :)

• kelonwheels

July 8, 2015 at 10:52 am

Remains to be seen what Camporeale has planned. Hoping Laird is in the same role for my own sake.

• boomstick

July 8, 2015 at 5:58 pm

you and me both brother! and to think 97.23% of the competition don’t even care. blasphemy!

10. Benjo

Benjo

July 8, 2015 at 9:56 am

Thanks for reading guys! I’m on holiday ATM, so I’ll answer your queries when I’ve got spare times. Thanks

11. Cattery

July 8, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Any help stats wise would be great – The big C this week, who should i put Armitage, Lewis swan, d martin

12. Johnny

July 8, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Jones, Kennedy or Heppell?

13. jakeymac86

July 9, 2015 at 2:25 am

speaking of PODs…anyone got thoughts on duffman? sitting at 300k (rdt), handy 99 last week..could anyone dare?