The Friday Scramble: Round 15
Not far from DT Finals now, your team should be looking good and charging towards the top 4. The General seems to have left us alone so far this week, but don’t worry, I am sure he will turn up again soon enough. But for now, lets scramble and hope we don’t have any late outs or poor performances this week.
Wow, this season is flying by. Round15 is upon us and so far we haven’t been hit with too many surprises at the selection table for a change. This doesn’t mean that we won’t be hit with some late outs come game day. Hopefully it won’t be too bad this week!
We only have 5 games left before DT Finals start so hopefully you are starting to cement yourself in the top 8. If not, it is time to be bold and make some moves to get yourself in the 8!
Obviously in AFL Fantasy trades aren’t a problem for us. But in RDT and Supercoach you have limited trades and I am sure that they are starting to run out! But how many should you have left?
This year it has been tough for us, the rookies weren’t so cheap and it has been hard to get our teams up and going. I wouldn’t try and tell you how many you should have at the moment but the strategy I look at in regards to trades.
My theory is that you need to have at least one trade per week during the finals. So I try to make it to finals with at least 4 trades left. However, if you are close but not quite in the final 8, then there is no point hoarding those trades, do whatever you can to get into that top 8. If it means you have to wing it throughout the finals, then so be it. You can’t win it if you aren’t in it!
Be Afraid, Very Afraid
There were only really two things that happened at selection that raised an eyebrow for me
- Michael Hibberd – Many thought he was going to be out this week after coping an injury last week, I for one was stating to think about what I was going to do and thankfully he has come up! However, don’t be surprised if he is a late out. Thankfully he is playing on Friday night and hence we will know whether or not he is in.
- Tom Langdon – I was convinced that he wouldn’t play this week after his concussion last week. Now whilst he has been named this week, don’t be surprised if he either misses out on the final team tonight, or is a late withdrawal. The only thing going for him is that it is a night game on Sunday which gives him the maximum amount of time to get up. Personally if I had him in the back lines I would be very nervous and would be making sure I had some cover.
— Ant Wingard (@AntWingard) June 26, 2014
Good question and good analysis there mate. After I clarified the game you were playing was AFLFantasy I had to have a good think about this. To be honest, it is a tough call. I think there are good reasons to go either way. If you need the cash to make further upgrades then I would go with Miles. He will keep getting games and would be good as a backup (don’t risk him on the field for more than one week). However, if you don’t desperately need the cash then I would say go for Libba. As you said you know you will get the points. So it is a bit based on you status of your team. If it was RDT, then the answer would be Libba, easily.
@pkd73 If I downgrade Shenton to honey church I can upgrade Langdon to Bartel or should I get Hibberd and keep Shenton
— ZacHev (@HevZac) June 26, 2014
I am going to assume again that this is in AFL Fantasy which means that Honeychurch‘s price will change after this week. Based on that and the fact that I think that Shenton has just about maxed out, I like that move. Now, the other end of the equation is the upgrade. Now, I am very happy with your idea of trading up Langdon, as mentioned I am still very sceptical that he even plays this week. I like Bartel and Hibberd. The only thing that would swing me to Bartel is that injury that Hibberd suffered last week. Even though he has come up, I am still a little nervous. So, I like the downgrade and I would go to Bartel.
— Ben Rix (@BenLewisRix) June 26, 2014
At the moment I think I have to say Joel Selwood. Stevie is struggling a touch and seems to coping the tag more often than not. Joel hasn’t been the superstar he has in previous seasons, but I still like seeing him in my team.
@pkd73 jelwood to miles or dahlhaus to kerston, both result in playing them on field (AFL Fantasy)
— Nico Leopardi (@Nico_Leo642) June 26, 2014
As I just mentioned above, I am a fan of Joel Selwood. Whilst Dahlhaus has been great this year, I still think I would rather have Joel in my team. Now, Kersten has only just come in and we know that Miles has better job security. Having said all that I think I still keep Joel and take the punt on Kersten.
Things To Remember
- Something will happen to stuff us up. Yes there are poor scores and late outs, but if it is one of your guns then you should be reasonably comfortable in the knowledge that most others will have the same problem.
- Match Day – Don’t forget that the match day game is still going in AFL Fantasy. There is still money and prizes to be won, so get stuck in.
- Anything can happen in a Derby or a Showdown – So don’t be surprised to see an unknown pull a good score or a premo not do quite so well.
- Sunday Night Footy this week – The Carlton v Collingwood game on Sunday is a late start so it will be a late end to lockout on Sunday.
There we have it, round 15. Hopefully your team is doing ok and not too many issues for you this week.
Warnie has let everyone know on twitter that the annual DT Talk Catch Up is being held this year in Round 23 in Melbourne. If you are in town on the day, do your best to pop past and say hi and chat a bit of footy with us. I will be heading over as will Jeppa and Tbetta, last year was a heap of fun, so make sure you keep the day free!
Good luck this week and make sure you keep an ear out for the late outs tonight as we need to check that Hibbo is playing. Catch you all on twitter over the weekend @pkd73.