BBL Fantasy 2013/14: Sydney Sixers Preview
FeathertopDT is back with his BBL Fantasy advice and he looks at the team from Sydney in the pink, the Sixers. Should we be considering Marcus North or Jordan Silk for a bench spot? Who else should you be looking at?
The Sixers were hit pretty hard by test selection and injury in BBL02 and it had a large impact on their performance after taking out the title in BBL01. Known primarily for their All-Rounder stocks with the likes of Steve Smith, Moises Henriques, Sean Abbott, Steve O’Keeffe and now Ravi Bopara with the likes of Brett Lee and Mitchell Starc very capable of throwing the bat around as well.
A plethora of fast bowling stocks as always, the Sixers strength is certainly their bowling. Brett Lee whilst not taking many wickets in BBL02 was economical and kept one end tied down. The Sixers will also have the services of Mitchell Starc this season once he returns from injury in early January. Chris Tremlett is also signed to the Sixers this season but won’t be available until after the Ashes. Josh Hazelwood, Sean Abbott and Trent Copeland are also available to them giving good depth for the Sixers. Nathan Lyon is their primary spinner but will be unavailable due to test selection so expect All-Rounder Steve O’Keeffe to carry the spinning duties.
The Sixers have a good mix of experience and youth in their batting line-up. Englishman, Michael Lumb will be the big-hitter at the top of the order and the likes of Marcus North, Jordan Silk and Nic Maddinson fighting for spots in that top order. They have good depth and will need it with Steve Smith in the test side. They will rely on their all-rounders in the middle order.
- Marcus North or Jordan Silk should be on your bench for your batsmen depending on who the Sixers choose to be at the top of the order.
- Ravi Borpra is an all-rounder listed as a batsman who’s a good option at just over $80,000. The fact that he will probably bowl a lot means you’ll get extra points from a batsman without taking up an all-rounder slot.
- Brad Haddin, Steve Smith and Nathan Lyon won’t play round one due to test selection. So don’t pick them.
- Ben Dwarshuisis a rookie priced bowler who I assume won’t play any matches this season.
- Dan Smith, the likely replacement for Brad Haddin however there are far better options out there who aren’t as expensive.
- Michael Lumb
- Brad Haddin*
- Marcus North
- Nic Maddinson
- Ravi Bopra
- Steve Smith*
- Steve O’Keeffe
- Brett Lee
- Mitchell Starc*
- Josh Hazelwood
- Nathan Lyon*
Haddin, Lyon and Smith will be unavailable due to test selection and Mitchell Starc probably won’t return until January from injury. Expect Trent Copeland or Sean Abbott to fill Starc’s spot. Dan Smith will probably replace Haddin but bat down the order which will see Ravi Bopra elevated. Finally, Smith’s spot could be filled by one of Mark Cosgrove or Jordan Silk.