DT TALK

Golden Stubby – Round 17

The nominations are (finally) tallied! Who get’s your vote this week?
JJK, Rocky, Jelwood, Cotch or The Mighty GAJ?

goldenstubbyaward_rd17

Golden Stubby – Round 17

It’s going to be incredibly hard to go past the superhuman feats of possibly the best player to ever strap on the footy boots but do you think anyone else is more deserving of this weeks Golden Stubby vote?

As always the players below are selected from the number of nominations received through twitter.

The Nominations are in:

Josh J Kennedy – 125 – Saw a lot of talk around the forums leading up to this week about now being the time to trade out JJK … if anyone knows one of these coaches please check on them…

Tom Rockliff – 120 – Let loose in the midfield again, fingers crossed this continues!

Joel Selwood – 133 – This guy is courage personified! Off the ground in the 3rd quarter with a concussion then came back and continued to monster on for a massive score.

Trent Cotchin – 144 – I traded Cotch out after his run on 71, 78 and 85. Since then he’s had scores of 100, 118 and this weeks 144… you’re welcome.

Gary Ablett Jnr – 163 – No questions about it. Anyone who watched GAJ go about his 49 disposals on the weekend witnessed a true great of the game lift an entire 3rd year team to his standard. They’ve knocked off Collingwood now… is anyone else starting to worry?

So who get’s your vote this week?

Golden Stubby - Round 17

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

1. DoubleA

July 22, 2013 at 7:51 am

GAJ = wow. Thanks Jelwood for coming in this round as a more than suitable replacement for Dangerfield, you can have a silver stubby from me.

A tinnie of a low-carb, light beer diet shandy for one B Gibbs. What has happened to him? If only DT gave points for standing three metres off the ball waiting for someone to get it for you. Grow a pair and get your own pill damnit!

• CAPTAINBLOOD17

July 22, 2013 at 10:02 am

Love the Gibbs comment…

• Chezza

July 22, 2013 at 10:33 am

Agree about Gibbs. That was an utterly lazy performance, as have been the last couple. Standing outside the pack expecting the ball will magically find its way into his hands. Everyone knows that only works for Swannie!

Disagree re: GAJ though. He’s the only one on the list that I have in my lineup but given he’s in the majority of teams, I’d have to say Rocky is my nomination this week. I was on the verge of bringing him back in last week and chose not to, kicking myself there!

• BK

July 22, 2013 at 10:48 am

Swannie has plenty of hard ball gets.

If anything, Gibbs is simply learning from his captain. Marc Murphy doesn’t seem to know the meaning of the term “hard ball get”. Only Juddy knows that and his body can’t keep up anymore.

• BK

July 22, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Sure he puts his head over the ball once and comes off second best.

I’m not doubting that Murphy is a great player because he is. I’m simply saying I’ve watched him play too many games over the past few seasons where he just sits out the back and waits for someone else to do the hard yards.

• DoubleA

July 22, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I agree Rockie was outstanding this week. Vossy, please please please keep him in the mids where he belongs!

2. tom

July 22, 2013 at 9:49 am

where is brent staker he must deserve a mention ?

• RK

July 22, 2013 at 11:38 am

• inthefog

July 22, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Only premos getting premo scores get nominated anymore.

• boomstick

July 22, 2013 at 10:46 pm

+1. i think we’re starting to get away from the spirit of the golden stubbie. although 163 is a magnificent effort, i thought the golden stubby was all about the bloke who stepped outside of his own bounds with a monumental effort to drag your team across the line for a win. of these guys i’ve gone JJK, but staker stepped into so many teams to pick up the slack left by buddy and stevie j.

• Chezza

July 22, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Normally I’d disagree, his score wasn’t that great.

However, for many people, myself included, we held StevieJ on fwd bench and played Staker on the field. For many people, myself included, we did this reluctantly and were shitting ourselves that he’d lose the game for us. And for many people, myself included, he stepped up and almost hit a ton at a crucial and perfect time.

I agree, he deserved to make the list, if not get the nomination.

• Anthony

July 22, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Love the enthusiasm for Staker! Personally I believe that’s what the Golden Stubby should be about. The little guy who stands up unexpectedly in your teams time of need! Unfortunately he didn’t receive a single nomination when the tweet went out last night. Maybe next time for Stakes…

3. Stegga

July 22, 2013 at 10:07 am

Anyone who had Gablett captain, ( i did ) will vote for him, it was the difference in quite a few league matches no doubt. But i have had Jelwood all year, and his last month has been phenomenal, sundays game vs Crows was one of the best you will see from a midfielder, ridicolous amount of hard ball gets and clearances, he gets my 3 votes for sure.

Get around this page aswell guys, cheers.

• Chezza

July 22, 2013 at 10:36 am

He’s definitely good, but I could never get him in or nominate him for the same reason I couldn’t if Crowley or Ballantyne or Lindsay Thomas or the string of other people who, despite their actual skill, will instinctively try for the free the moment their hands touch the ball (or often even if they don’t).

I know, I know, it’s the rules and it’s a legal way to play and blah blah, but it’s shit, plain and simple. Ruins the flow, drops the standard and pisses people off. Not what AFL is about IMHO.

• Roos_rule27

July 22, 2013 at 10:45 am

+1 Chezza (disagree re Lindsay Thomas though ;) slightly biased maybe) I find it almost comical how he tricks every player, and the umpires. The best moment for me was in the Freo v Rich game, when King tried that trick on Clancee Pearce and he just smamshed through him. Players should just try to tackle them around the thighs.

• Stegga

July 22, 2013 at 10:51 am

I agree to some extent, but there is no denying he EARNS his free kicks, he is one of, if not the most courageous players playing the game!
        Lindsay Thomas is a f**ken sook. I hate the way he plays, so much talent, but flops all the time, and there is a clear difference between diving ( Thomas ), and trying to shrug a tackle by raising your arms with the ball or dropping one knee to evade the tackle.
        Selwood has trained himself to get in a position to draw a free kick for a high tackle when he wins the hard ball, talk to any midfielder in football, if they could do the same thing as Jelwood everytime they get tackled, they would do it.
        I think the way he goes about his footy is exactly what the AFL is about, hard, tough, fast, skillful, courageous footy.

Thats just my opinion.

• Roos_rule27

July 22, 2013 at 10:57 am

Flicking somebody’s arm up over your shoulders or ducking is not what I would call “earning his free kicks”. I agree, Thomas does dive (my previous comment was tongue in cheek), but you could count times for every player in the afl when they have done the same (dived/cheated) Pittard did it to receive a 50 m penalty and it ended up costing the Saints the game on Sat night.

4. BK

July 22, 2013 at 10:12 am

Richard Tambling anyone???? hahaha!

5. Roos_rule27

July 22, 2013 at 10:32 am

Gotta be Cotch.

• Chezza

July 22, 2013 at 10:37 am

Really hoping that was a flash in the pan, given the person I play in league this weekend always puts him as captain…

• Roos_rule27

July 22, 2013 at 10:42 am

Hahaha, you better be hoping so! I for one would love another 140.

6. Roos_rule27

July 22, 2013 at 10:59 am

This is becoming pointless… Everyone will vote for gaz, but that’s what we have come to expect. Nobody expected Cotchin to score 144 against Freo, nobody expected Jelwood to score 133 under a hard tag, nobody expected JJK to get 20 possies n kick 4 goals against Sydney’s defence.

• johnny fontane

July 22, 2013 at 11:05 am

true i think cotch deserves it. everyone has JJK. but the difference between having ablett captain and having swan or pendlebury captain (as many people would have done given thier form recently) was the difference between winning or losing. the difference between pendles and GAJ as capt is nearly 100 pts.

• Lachlan

July 22, 2013 at 12:36 pm

It’s not 100! Gah, simple maths people. It’s 54 (if they have both Pendles and Ablett.

• BK

July 22, 2013 at 12:58 pm

• BK

July 22, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Ablett was ruthless he deserves every accolade he receives even if it is just a bit of fun Golden Stubby award.

If you use your logic… no one expected Richard Tambling to even get a game let alone score triple figures. Based on your points above he should get it. But he won’t because he’s a spud and doesn’t deserve it as much as the class of GAJ.

7. Ultimate Fantasy Freak

July 22, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Staker has scored 91 and 92, in the last two times stevie J has been out.

• inthefog

July 22, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Golden emergency.

8. Brad

July 23, 2013 at 7:53 pm

When do you reckon it is time to upgrade Tom Mitchell midfield and also who to get?

9. Blue boys

July 24, 2013 at 1:19 am

To me there was one very obvious nomination for the Golden Stubby that was missed.
    This player debuted in the year 2000 and on the weekend he played his 257th game and in that game he scored his first ever 100+ score.
    Now is that not Golden Stubby worthy???

He gets my vote and I think his name should be up in lights for all to see…….future DT gun??

Well done to DARREN GLASS……103pts on the weekend!!! :-)