DT TALK

Golden Stubby – Round 5

Golden Stubby Nominations are in! Who deserves it this week? O’Meara, Hartlett, Riewoldt, Johnson or Mayes?

goldenstubbyaward

Golden Stubby – Round 5

Every round I’ll be asking for your nominations on twitter for the player most deserving of this prestigious accolade. This isn’t necessarily the highest scoring players of the round. But the players who stepped up in a fantasy scoring aspect when you most needed them to. Whether it’s a highly paid premium who put in a massive effort to drag your team over the line in a head to head battle or a rookie priced player who stepped up and scored well above his expected average.

Lets have a looks at a few players who narrowly missed out.

Scott Selwood – 136 – Starting to pay the patient coaches who’ve held him after his poor start back. Another massive effort against Port saw his add another 136 to his total.

Tom Rockliff – 125 – At this stage we can pretty much guarantee 2 or 3 players will feature in this article each week after playing Melbourne. Rocky is another player who is owned by so many that his scores can be taken for granted, got to be happy he’s pumping all our scores up thought!

Gary Ablett Jnr – 131 – GAJ is usually a class about most of his opposition, but this week against GWS he was head and shoulders above everyone. GWS were hoping Bugg would come on and quell his influence… no such luck.

Dale Edwick – 3 –  Actually got a few nominations for this guy! Get’s a vital 3 points for his one kick in the goal square against Richmond…

The Nominations are in!

Jaeger O’Meara – 115 – Part of the midfield rookie rotation coaches are choosing each week, JOM did not disappoint against GWS, teaming up with GAJ and obviously learning a lot. Absolutely everywhere against GWS and even sneaking forward for a few goals adds a handing 115 to our weekly total.

Hamish Hartlett – 116 – Hartlett led from the front in Ports win and was the major influence on Ports comeback. Always itching to get on to his racking kick means his kick to handball ratio is very favourable. This week he had 18 kicks compared to 5 handballs.

Nick Riewoldt – 149 – After many coaches dumped St Nick after he perceived easy start being over, NRoo turned back the clock and found some vintage form, showing off our game for the New Zealanders. Fantastic return and reward for the loyal coaches.

Steve Johnson – 141 – Stevie J is known as a flat track bully for many, so no surprises at all he came out and decimated the Bulldogs early on his own. Facing his first price rise after this week saw him impressively debut for many coaches.

Sam Mayes – 111 – Mayes or Evans? Mayes or Evans? This was the most asked question this week. Congratulations if you went with Mayes and even more so if you played him on field. This kid has a silky touch and is very impressive so hopefully Voss wont drop him any time soon.

Cast your vote below for the player most deserving of this rounds Golden Stubby.

Golden Stubby - Round 5

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tune in to the boys live webshow during the week to see the winner!

Was there a player you felt was more deserving? Don’t forget to get your nomination in during the round next week by tweeting me at @AnthonyDSmith86 and including the hashtag #GoldenStubby

1. Nicholas coleman

April 28, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Mayes for me brisbane fan and he helped me get a good score for the week.
    Keep it up Mayes doing a great job for the team!

2. Nooie

April 28, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Gotta be Hartlett. Carried Port over the line and I enjoyed watching him play so much that I nearly forgot what Westhoff was on. Nearly.

3. Matt

April 28, 2013 at 9:14 pm

SJ captain easy choice!

4. Paulus

April 28, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Good choices Anthony. Loved seeing NRoo doing what he used to do a lot more regularly!

5. Vishnu27

April 28, 2013 at 9:33 pm

BTW 153 for Saint Nick. My choice for sure. Rolled back the years in NZ & has been a consistent forward for my team all year (thus far ;))

6. BDeville

April 28, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Mayes for me

7. Albert Lloyd

April 28, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Went Evans instead of Mayes but NVoldt must get it.

Just like I must get him soon.

8. BDeville

April 28, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Goddard, Gibbs, Heppell, Goodes, Stevenson, Pittard (Terlich, Heath)

Swan, Ablett, Watson, Pendlebury, Cotchin, Wines, O’Meara, Evans (Crouch, Neade)

Cox, Burger (Blicavs, Daw)

Bartel, Rockliff, Westhoff, Robinson, Kennedy, Mayes (Macaffer, Dwyer)

66k remaining

Any ideas/thoughts on trades I should make?

• Ned

April 28, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Hoff –> Steve Johnson. You dont really have any other options to be honest, because you have no cash for upgrades, and noone to downgrade..

• Alex Coleman

April 28, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I have almost the same team as you except for Robinson (I have Martin)
      I’m going Westhoff>Stevie J
      And either
      Downgrading/Ugrading Goodes (depending if he gets off)
      Swapping Bartel for Neade and then trading Bartel into a Premo Back via Goodes DPP
      Downgrading Blicavs to Daw/Gawn/Currie
      It’s all up to you mate

• Dinky dy

April 28, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Hahahahaha
        What is an article without someone putting there entire team up??
        Who asks for help on there team on a Sunday night? No one knows what is going to happen between now and lockout.
        You fool!!! Think for yourself!!!!!!

9. hussy

April 28, 2013 at 9:55 pm

nick riewolt or zorko??

• Stelzy

April 28, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Shannon Byrnes mate!

10. johnny

April 28, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Trade out either (Goodes, A. joseph or J. Russel) for Hartlett. Which one should i trade out??

11. Derek

April 28, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Neade > Kerridge
    Wines > Jelwood
    thoughts?

• Alex Coleman

April 28, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Wines hasn’t hit his peak yet but if you’re really keen on this trade, go for it

Jack

April 28, 2013 at 10:31 pm

That is an alright trade I am going this week hoff –> Stevie j and hodge –> joel selwood
      And next week I will go neade/Dwyer –> someone and molony –> fyfe

12. Grant

April 28, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Macaffer to Mayes? Thoughts?

• Kameron

April 28, 2013 at 10:34 pm

left it to late for Mayes I wouldn’t do it

• kelonwheels

April 29, 2013 at 12:03 pm

With 111 and 75 in his numbers Mayes will still make a crapload of dollars and easily more than macaffer so unless there is a better rookie u don’t have I’d do it

13. Kameron

April 28, 2013 at 10:37 pm

my trades this week Dwyer to Watson and Franklin to Lecars wanted jobe this week because he is playing GWS with those trades I have $7,800 left thoughts

14. Michael

April 28, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Wines b/e 48….who knows, 1 bad game and he leaks cash. I think i might get rid this week

• Dinky dy

April 28, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Mate this is quadzilla you are talking about. He is still going to generate alot more cash

• Michael

April 28, 2013 at 10:58 pm

yeh fair enough, but he’s my only avenue to a Watson upgrade so i’m in 2 minds….

• Dinky dy

April 28, 2013 at 11:00 pm

You must have a very good side, if you are already getting rid of him

15. Tom

April 28, 2013 at 10:45 pm

This week Westhoff to Stevie J and Hodge to Scooter Selwood.
    If everything goes to plan next week will downgrade Bartel and upgrade Port Def rookie.

16. JAC

April 28, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I was at Lions v Dees and Sam Mayes was awesome. My brother went to his first live AFL game ever and even noticed how awesome this kid is.

• Tom

April 28, 2013 at 10:48 pm

He looked awesome on TV aswell.

• Albert Lloyd

April 29, 2013 at 1:20 am

I thought he got a lot of uncontested possies which probably means he has a big tank. Gaff like sorta.

17. Jack

Jack

April 28, 2013 at 10:51 pm

This week hoff > Stevie j and hodge > joel selwood
    I just wanted to no if this is a good call at the moment I have it locked in for this week thoughts and opinions plz

• WestcoastWarrior

April 29, 2013 at 12:45 am

Maybe get Watson or Stanton instead of Selwood. Bombers should destroy GWS and you know those 2 will kill it.

18. colesy

April 28, 2013 at 11:22 pm

nobody getting Max Gawn this week? Nick Reiwoldt for stubby

• Albert Lloyd

April 29, 2013 at 1:25 am

You’d only make about 60k Blicavs to him. Pass.

• Jarrad

April 29, 2013 at 2:22 am

As opposed to what? Sitting on Blicavs who will most likely leak cash from here on out? No rookies worth mentioning on the bubble, nows the time to do this trade.

• Albert Lloyd

April 29, 2013 at 4:07 am

Laird from the Crows is on the bubble.

Scored an 81 away from home so he’s coming in for me.

Dare say trading out another backman to Laird will make you more than Blicavs to Gawn.

19. Stelzy

April 28, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Goddard, Gibbs, Heppell, Goodes, Stevenson, Pittard (Vlastuin, Heath)

Swan, Pendles, Murphy, JPK, Dangerfield, Rockliff, Wines, O’Meara (evans, viney)

Cox, Burger (Blicavs, Daw)

Buddy, Westhoff, N.Roo, Kennedy, Dwyer, Mayes (Rowe, Dwyer)

215k remaining

Any ideas/thoughts on trades I should make?

20. Alex Coleman

April 28, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Swap Rockliff in to the forward line for Dwyer and put Evans on the field
    Trade Westhoff to Stevie J

21. Ingoes

April 29, 2013 at 12:23 am

NRoo won’t get it coz no one has him, but he deserves it.

Personal best score from such a DT gun is amazing at this stage of his career.

22. Jarrad

April 29, 2013 at 12:34 am

I’m going for Hartlett. Not only did he get 116 this week, but he had a BE in the twenties, so he went up around $35k and looks set to grab another $30k next week if he can crack the ton again. If you exclude the injury affected 35 he got in round 2 he has averaged 111.5 for the year, just 0.3 below Grant Birchall.

• Albert Lloyd

April 29, 2013 at 1:24 am

When I was creating my team my eyes lit up seeing Hartlett’s name there in the backs. ‘A prolific mid listed as a backman this year?’ I thought to myself. ‘Fucking awesome!’

Then I remembered his recent horror run with injury and went with the more (I thought) dependable Duffield instead.

Oh how I wish I’d taken dat punt on him.

23. WestcoastWarrior

April 29, 2013 at 12:43 am

Thoughts on Andrew Walker lads? Looking to bring him in as a good POD with a BE of 73 playing a midfield role against the Demons. Looks to be getting a lot of the ball and still gets up forward to kick goals. Carlton have a great run ahead so is he a good investment, or are there better players around his price range?

• Jarrad

April 29, 2013 at 1:13 am

I suppose he’s not a bad POD, is he a flat track bully though? If you have the money and don’t already have him, go for Stevie J instead, but if you’re intent on a POD or just don’t have enough money, you could do far worse.

• WestcoastWarrior

April 29, 2013 at 1:20 am

Sadly don’t have enough money, looking to get Stevie next week in a straight swap for the Hoff next week. Figured I could milk walker for 50k and then sell him for a perfectly priced Buddy just in time for the hawks dream run against shit opposition. I’m just keen on walker because they don’t play him as a forward anymore, so I’ll take the punt and see how it goes!

• Jarrad

April 29, 2013 at 1:32 am

Well good luck, hopefully it works out for you.

• Jarrad

April 29, 2013 at 2:27 am

Right now is the only time to be trading Hoff> Stevie J, theres a $300 difference between their prices. Next week there may be a 50k difference depending on their scores.

• Albert Lloyd

April 29, 2013 at 4:08 am

Exactly.

Half the game is knowing to strike when the iron is hot and that time is now.

24. hinchdawg

April 29, 2013 at 3:47 am

Love the rule that lets you do this,

I did
    Westhoff > Sidebottom using Mayes as a link
    Mullett > Cox using Blicavs as a link

also means i do not have to choose out of Mayes/Wines/Omera on the field in the mid each week

25. Sean Roberts

April 29, 2013 at 9:01 am

do you guys really think its worth trading westhoff. i mean if he generally has gotten better it would be stupid to trade him for one bad game, and hes versing north melbourne this week.
    thoughts?

• Nooie

April 29, 2013 at 10:30 am

Ah, yes. Did you see what the Kangas did to Roughy and Buddy. Nearly no impact on the scoreboard. I’m scared that the Hoff will get 70-odd if that because a Buddy was on 28 at HT. Also his BE is 140+ and you can’t get as much of a straight swap for Stevie-J!!
      But with the likeliness of Goodes, Gibbs may be out or you’re still stuck with a Kommer (who may not be named) or a Frost, then you may have to fix them up first….

Good luck with whatever way you go, put Hoff-Stevie is far to tempting for me!!

26. Steven

April 29, 2013 at 9:27 am

hoff>stevie j & danger>stanton, thoughts? have just enough cash to do this.

($800 Remaining Salary Cap)

27. Jared

April 29, 2013 at 10:03 am

1. Shuey -> Swan & Moloney -> 400k FWD (i.e. JJK)

OR

2. Shuey -> Sidebottom/Barlow & Moloney -> SJ

If option 2, Sidebottom or Barlow???

28. Shags

April 29, 2013 at 10:11 am

Not many rookies on the bubble are there. Docherty sub effected score still might be worth it if he keeps getting games, or Laird we are likely to lose Goodes, and might lose Gibbs.

There are there ruck rookies on the bubble, Daw, Gawn, OHailpin, Where IMO OHailpin is the best choice as his JS is good without Patton, plus his DPP is handy.

Fwds Paparone,, Kerridge, and Lee don’t look anything special. I like the look of Kerridge the best.

There aren’t any new mid rookies, but Kommer will be back, and Crouch might be named. I’m actually hoping crouch sits out one more week, and i’m seriously considering kommer. He’s a favorites at bomberland, and they play gws.

• Shags

April 29, 2013 at 10:17 am

I am seriously considering a double premo downgrade this week. Why? Because I can see some very nice premos on the fall next few Weeks that can be snaffled at bargain basement prices. Now is also a good time to start staggering rookies as I think they are drying up. The plan is the cash from 2 culled premos to eventually equal 6 premos on the rise.

• E.B

April 29, 2013 at 10:26 am

I was thinking the double premo upgrade this week, but then seeing how many low priced premos there are im second guessing my self! Who do you think will be solid out of premos in the lower price range?

And what has happened to Goodes, hearing so much talk but no actual information?

• Shags

April 29, 2013 at 10:52 am

I’m taking this thread across to the “My Team – Round 6”

29. E.B

April 29, 2013 at 10:27 am

Solid write up,

has to be Mayes though, made so much cash and hit teammate tit after teammate tit on the weekend, never seen a rookie with so much composure!

30. Cruisers

April 30, 2013 at 1:03 am

Very early call, but I am picking Mayes to be the next Pendlebury. Composure, execution, build, marking ability and he even looks like him a bit.