The Friday Scramble

The Friday Scramble: Rd 5

Even though we have had two games already, this doesn’t stop our panic as we try to get our teams set for the remainder of round 5!

Another DTTalk Exclusive: The Friday Scramble - with Dunny

Another DTTalk Exclusive: The Friday Scramble – with Dunny

What a ripper of a day Anzac Day is.  I made my way down to Glenelg for the Dawn Service with a heap of other people and it was just fantastic.  It is great to sit back and reflect on the diggers and what they gave up so that we can have what we have today.

And what a day we had yesterday.  Two games of footy to keep us going once the morning’s functions were finished.  The key thing to remember about our DT today is that Trades are NOT reversible now for this round.  Any trade you confirm today sticks!  So beware of this fact and treat it like an old school DT round.

Should he stay or should he go?

This is a question that many of us are faced with this week thanks to Jack Viney.  The kid started with a bang but unfortunately hasn’t been able to keep up with his hot start getting subbed out last week with a grand total of 9.  His BE is still low, and under our previous trade restrictions none of us would consider getting rid of him.  But now that we can fairly safely chase cash we are all looking at what we can do with him.  Personally I will be trading him out and will be going with one of either Mayes or Evans.  To find out exactly who you should be going for make sure you have read Jeppa’s Juniors from Wednesday morning.

Check your Loophole

If you had a crack at the loophole for your captain yesterday, make sure that you have a check of your team and haven’t stuffed up.  If you selected Steele Sidebottom  or David Zaharakis with their scores of 143 and 130  then you would probably want to keep them, this means you have to put a non playing player on your field.  This would be a guy like Crouch or Currie.  If you do that and put the C on them make sure  that you have put the E on your other player on the bench!

Swanny’s score of 120 is an awkward one.  120 is often our benchmark.  This one is going to come down personal choice and who you have in your side that you think can do better.  I think the best bet is to consult Calvin’s Captains to gain his wisdom as to the guys that you have left to play.  Personally I will lock in Swanny’s score. However Calvin Tweeted to us @calvinDT yesterday that you take the 120 to the bank!

However, if you took Stanton, Watson or Pendles who didn’t score quite so well with 114, 109 and 108 then you may want to put your C on another player as you normally would.  So someone like Ablett or the others mentioned in Calvin’s Captains would be the way to go.  If my description of Calvin’s Loophole has been a bit dodgy, then check Calvin’s article for a better explanation!

Cash in the Bank or Points on the field?

I am seeing a lot of tweets about people having massive war chests by doing a lot of downgrades.  Whilst this is a great option, there comes a time where you don’t want to have to rely on all of these youngsters on the field.  I find myself relying on Dwyer, Rowe, O’Meara and Terlich.  Whilst using Rookies at the moment isn’t anything new, some people are running with somewhere around 10 or so Rookies on the field.  This can curtail your scoring potential.

So I would suggest that people start to look at picking up some of the Premo players that have gotten off to a slower start to the year like Buddy and Daisy.  Particularly Daisy will be very cheap in a week or so.  So if these are guys that you ahve on your watchlists then this may be the time to get them.

Just don’t get too cute and try and wait for the absolute last minute to get them as you never know what might happen, but don’t rush either, keep an eye on their BE’s but just as important is to keep an eye on their upcoming opponents.  If they have a large BE but also a very easy run of teams coming, then they may actually reach that BE and leave you short when you try to get them in the following week.

Things To Remember

• Fix up your Captain and Emergencies – If you went the loophole then make sure you have it fixed up before lockout.
  • Trades are now NON REVERSIBLE – So don’t stuff around with it, get them right first time.  Think two years ago!
  • Mumford needed that tough facial hair when everyone calls him Mummy! – Seriously do you want people calling you Mummy all the time? (Ladies excluded of course)
  • Keep an eye on the fallen premos – Some are under performing so will have a big price drop.  Make sure you have the cash ready to go when they do.
  • Thanks to the ANZACs and those still serving our country – Please make sure that our younger generations coming through understand the true sacrifice from our Diggers.

Great Thursday of footy, let’s hope that the rest of the weekend is good too!  Watch for the late changes to teams tonight and leave your trades as late as you physically can.

Team Destroyers had a bit of a shocker last week again with 2044 and I dropped a few rankings to be 9,230.  We are looking to be back on track this week despite having 3 league wins last week.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to answer your comments below  due to another commitment which will take me out of play today.  So show a bit of ANZAC mateship,  help each other out with your questions and I will be back on Twitter later tonight @pkd73.

Lest We Forget

1. Big Feller

April 26, 2013 at 7:54 am

Great work Dunny.
    Viney’s time has come for me and I’ve taken him out behind the sheds and gently slit his throat so that the other cows don’t get too startled!
    I’ll be locking in Swanny’s 120 because Rocky’s been named last on the bench, GAJ traditionally doesn’t perform we’ll against poor teams and I can’t see North letting Buddy get away with a repeat performance of last year.
    Special mention goes out to NRoo for his 153!

• toasted

April 26, 2013 at 8:16 am

Great work Dunny
      Yes I got caught with the non reversable trades. That is a premanent eature now or just this weeek? I got in Evans for Viney, but had second thoughts. Anyway I will trade in Doherty next week.
      I fear that I will need more than 2 trades per week, as i want to get Vsalutin, a top defender, Daisy and another premium forward.

What do you reckon about Birchall next week; too expensive?
      Burgoyne is flying under the radar. Thoughts?

• IanB

April 26, 2013 at 10:31 am

Just a software design choice that had to be made with partial or progressive lockouts I suppose. Just how could you simply, and without arguments, set someone’s team back to square one after the state of play has changed? Makes sense I think, but it will only affect rounds with partial lockouts as far as I can see.

2. crouchy35

April 26, 2013 at 8:21 am

Great read as always and lest we forget, what a great day for our country ANZAC day is. It really puts everything in perspective.

A couple of tricky ones this week
    – Should I go Hanley or Stevenson > Birchall
    – Pendles, Ablett, Cotch or Rocky as captain? My opponent has already committed to cotchin and I do have VC Pendlebry I could use as safety…..

I will be leaving Viney as I’m certain he has more to come and (the real reason) I have waaaaayyyy too many other things to deal with first!

• Seany Samp

April 26, 2013 at 11:04 am

-If you go Stevenson you will lose a lot of money! So I’d go with Hanley.
      -If it looks like you will beat your opponent fairly easily, then stick to Pendles. But if you need to catch up on points go with Rocky or Ablett.

3. Matt

April 26, 2013 at 8:42 am

Nice work Dunny. Good read for Friday morning at work!

I was was going to trade Viney to Mayes, and Crouch to Evans.. But then Chappy wasn’t named. FMDT.

4. Stelzy

April 26, 2013 at 8:46 am

Nice article dunny!

I locked in a trade from crouch >evans due to crouch’s unfortunate injury :/
    and a trade of karnezis > mayes. I held off the karnezis trade because I needed to make changes to my ruck. I scored 2182 last week and am on track to score over 2100 again this week, with 7/850 at the moment – thanks to a whopping 153 from nick riewoldt against the premiers (hes been an absolute gem this season). I didnt bother with the loophole and just locked swan.

The rough plan this week is to downgrade viney > paparone, and upgrade JPK to watson. I may in fact keep viney another week if he’s named, because ill do a double upgrade from JPK>watson and Dangerfield > GAJ

5. DTRook7

April 26, 2013 at 9:12 am

Nice read Dunny,
    Viney does appear a problem atm, however he still has room to grow and I think some are getting overly hasty about trading him. Crouch is in a similar boat and I know we have 2 trades a week but is it really worth wasting them this week trading out 2 guys that most people will probably get back in about a fortnights time?
    Anyway just my opinion…

Also I’m super keen to know why there’s this interchange cloud over Rocky this week?
    Surely he’s gonna play, but is he definitely out of contention for the ‘C’ this week guys? Anyone got more info?!

6. Lewie-14

April 26, 2013 at 9:21 am

CONGRATULATIONS !!! You are the 1000th person to ask Evans or Mayes in this week ??

• cody

April 26, 2013 at 5:37 pm

ahahah

7. mfawcett

April 26, 2013 at 9:25 am

Personally have gone Crouch to Evans and finally got rid of Patton to Mayes. Was going to rid myself of Bartel this week but hoping he can score a bit more with Chapman out? Also, Viney was going to be gone as well but missed the chopping block due to Patton and Crouch trades.

Now who to start out of O’Meara, Viney, Evans and Whitfield (2 spots). Leaning towards Evans and Whitfield. Thoughts?

• Joshua Sio

April 26, 2013 at 9:31 am

You can scratch viney off the list. And Im hoping omeara pants’ whitfield and shows him why he wouldve been no1 pixk. But id go whitfield over evans.

• Brayden

April 26, 2013 at 3:42 pm

omeara and whitfield

8. Joshua Sio

April 26, 2013 at 9:28 am

Does anyone know if chapman is a couple/few weeks, or is this more of a general soreness injury?

• Gilly

April 26, 2013 at 10:14 am

Chappy is being rested this week. You’ll find that all the senior Geelong players will miss games this year through their rotation policy.

Rory

April 26, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Thanks for that info man, was already tempted to trade Chappy out this week, and I would have if I didn’t forget about the irreversible trades. But I suppose I’ll hold him for now.

9. mfawcett

April 26, 2013 at 9:30 am

who would guys start in the forward spot out of Rowe, O’Halipan or Sinclair?

• Roos_rule27

April 26, 2013 at 9:36 am

rowe

10. Jahan

April 26, 2013 at 9:58 am

I have Crouch and Viney on my Midfield bench and already have Evans on field (traded him for Kommer) do I trade Crouch or Viney out for Mayes?

• Brayden

April 26, 2013 at 3:43 pm

crouch has got more cash to be had

11. Aidan

April 26, 2013 at 10:09 am

Is anybody else not talking Swannies 120? Personally I’m risking a big score from Rocky, but you have to risk it for a biscuit to win DT

• Gilly

April 26, 2013 at 10:34 am

+ 1

• SHAMM3R

April 26, 2013 at 2:06 pm

+2 ;)

12. Deztroyer

Deztroyer

April 26, 2013 at 10:20 am

should i take swannys 120 or put the big ‘C’ on gazza or cotchin?

• DTKING

April 26, 2013 at 10:24 am

Keep swannys score. Gaz doesn’t score well against lower teams and cotchin will cop de boer/ crowley tag or both like watson did, hope he doesnt as he’s in my team but stick with swanny if not go with rocky if u have him.

• IanB

April 26, 2013 at 10:35 am

+1. You can be too tricky in this game.

Deztroyer

April 26, 2013 at 10:36 am

i got rocky, but on the DT site he is listed as emergency.. will he play?

• Michael

April 26, 2013 at 11:22 am

Yeah Rocky will play. Rich is out so I doubt they’ll not play him..

13. Deztroyer

Deztroyer

April 26, 2013 at 10:20 am

who to put on field.

rowe or neade?

• DTKING

April 26, 2013 at 10:24 am

Rowe, Neade likely to cop vest. Also playing west coast so he wont score to well.

• IanB

April 26, 2013 at 10:34 am

Why won’t he score well? Surely he’s quick and PS has acres of space. Is he good at Perth?

• Seany Samp

That was to DTKING’s reply

Rory

April 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Bloody hell I hope not, he’s my emergency for Chapman. :/

• Seany Samp

April 26, 2013 at 11:08 am

Go Rowe cos Neade is very likely to be sub.

• rherzfeldo

April 28, 2013 at 12:48 am

good pick lads, look how the game turned out hey!

14. Deztroyer

Deztroyer

April 26, 2013 at 10:25 am

is Rockliff going to play? he is listed as emergency on DT

• Seany Samp

April 26, 2013 at 11:09 am

He’s on the extended bench, I’d say he’s 100% to play unless he gets an injury.

15. Gilly

April 26, 2013 at 10:33 am

Thanks Dunny, good write up and well done to you and Jeppa on the collar and tie, bringing a new standard of professionalism to DT.

Look, I read a comment last night on the Anzac Lockout thread that said in effect that anyone who took Swanny as VC should not use the loophole, and just take his 120 X 2, and bank the points, bird in the hand, 120 is a good score, etc. etc.

I disagree with this conservative view and here’s why.

My midfield, after partial lockout and using the loophole, as at this morning, is:

Swan 120 (VC), Ablett, Scott Selwood, Murphy, Moloney, Wines, O’Meara, Crouch (C).

And on the bench I have Dwyer 47 (E), and Viney.

If I keep Swanny’s score, then I also must keep Dwyer’s lowly 47 – they must go together – with Crouch as my non-playing Captain.

So the issue is not so much Swan’s 120 X 2, but Dwyer’s piss weak 47.

Swan 240 + Dwyer 47 = 287.

Now, to fix this problem all I have to do is:

1. Trade Viney out and bring in Evans
    2. Put Evans on the field and take Crouch off the field.
    3. Put the C on Ablett

Now, even if Ablett scores 110 say, I only need Evans to score 68 or better to improve my position.

I traded in Mayes for Kommer yesterday morning and then deliberately switched Mayes and Dwyer via DPP, precisely in case of this scenario where Dwyer spudded it up and Swan’s score was a 50/50 call.

Hence the loophole worked!

• Mark Mellow

April 26, 2013 at 11:31 am

You put yourself in that situation as soon as you put the E on Dwyer and VC on Swan.

I would say the majority of people would have Dwyer in the Forwards so wont have this issue.

In your case, your reasoning is sound. You either take Swan’s 120 and Dwyers 47 or pick another captain and replace Crouch on field. What may end up happening however, is the person you replace Crouch with, lets say Evans, pumps out a score similar to Dwyers (like his R3 score – 58). With 58, then your captain would have to score 109+ for it to work.

Worth the risk though, as you any score the player you replace Crouch gets over 47 decreases the 120 conversely.

• Gilly

April 26, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Thanks for your feedback MM.

The reason I switched Dwyer and Mayes was because my F6 options (Dwyer, Neade, Macaffer) were all low score/green vest candidates this week, whereas I have faith in Mayes to produce at F6 and not be vested (particularly with Rich out).

I guess my point is that using the loophole can also give you a second bite at the M6 score.

Of course, it still has to happen on the field, however I’m quietly confident that Ablett (c) and Evans can combine to get me 287 +.

16. Deztroyer

Deztroyer

April 26, 2013 at 10:41 am

evans or mayes on the field?

• Shags

April 26, 2013 at 11:08 am

Mayes vs Gws.

• Shags

April 26, 2013 at 11:09 am

Mayes vs Melb I mean.

17. TDominator

April 26, 2013 at 10:47 am

I am using the loop hole this week on nick reiwoldt

• Shags

April 26, 2013 at 11:08 am

Really? That’s an awesome call.

18. Deztroyer

Deztroyer

April 26, 2013 at 10:55 am

pittard or terlich on field?

• Shags

April 26, 2013 at 11:07 am

Flip a coin, then change your mind at the last minute.

• Joshua Sio

April 26, 2013 at 11:53 am

Ah the old flip and change. 50% of the time, it works all the time.

• Jarrad

April 26, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Well played.

19. Ditts

April 26, 2013 at 10:59 am

Had Pendles as my VC and not happy with his score, who do i put as captain?

Westhoff, Bartel, Rocky, Cox Birchall or A.Swallow?

• Shags

April 26, 2013 at 11:06 am

Rocky. But no guarantees.

• Mark Mellow

April 26, 2013 at 11:41 am

Wow, can you guarentee any of those will go 108+

Westhoff – Im still not a beleiver, but the stats show another story

Bartel – Has not gone +108 yet this season (89, 105, 88, 66)

Rocky – Dont let anyone fool you, he will play regardless of where he is named in the squads. 50/50 chance on 2013 history (114, 77, 93, 117), Historically as Calvin points out, likes Melbourne.

Birchall – Same as Westoff, but DT is a bitch. People found that out last year when they put Sidey and Beams as captain. As soon as you do they will spud.

ASwallow – You game after his 64 last year. My stats read v HAW his last 2 have been diabolical. (57 and 52). Were at Aurora though, this time they play at the MCG

I’d go Rocky if i was you, or keep Pendels score.

• Ditts

April 26, 2013 at 11:46 am

Massive help mate, cheers!

• DoubleA

April 26, 2013 at 1:08 pm

If Pendles scored <90, I'd use the loop-hole. But at 108, any of the ones you listed are a potential risk. Definitely not Bartel. Maybe Rocky. Personally I'd take the 108 and sleep easy.

20. Deztroyer

Deztroyer

April 26, 2013 at 11:24 am

to do the loop hole successfully, is this right:

swan has VC on him.

i put currie on field in rucks with the C on him, then put burger on the pine with the Emergency.

is that right?

• Mark Mellow

April 26, 2013 at 11:33 am

Nailed it.

21. Edward

April 26, 2013 at 11:54 am

Are there any under priced premium defenders out there we should be looking at?

• DTKING

April 26, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Heath shaw atm, thats about it.

• Brett

April 26, 2013 at 12:11 pm

heath shaw isn’t underpriced

• DTKING

April 26, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Not now in 2 weeks he will be.

Deztroyer

April 26, 2013 at 12:58 pm

stay away from shaw.

• DoubleA

April 26, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Lake maybe. I’m liking having Hibberd in my side (averaging about 90 or so). But I don’t know after this week how ‘under-priced’ he will be. But after a 115 and a 100, his BE for next week will be low, so he could maybe be a stepping stone (maybe).

• Jarrad

April 26, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Hartlett, but you’ve gotta get him this week I reckon. Possible price rise of between $15000-$40000 depending on how well he plays.

22. Jax HD

April 26, 2013 at 12:17 pm

For the Loop Hole, I should be safe putting Stevenson on field as Captain and Pittard on bench as Emergency, right?

Deztroyer

April 26, 2013 at 12:57 pm

50/50, could be a late replacement. then your screwed

• Brett

April 26, 2013 at 1:02 pm

i wonder how many will stuff the VC loophole. Stevenson could work out to be a great captains choice if he gets the call up Jax!!!

• Jax HD

April 26, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Yea your right, I have Hoff, Gablett and Rocky. Rocky scares me a bit but if for a weird chance he doesn’t play then Swan will get the captain score.

23. Andrew

April 26, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Bring the troops home.

• Daniel

April 26, 2013 at 4:19 pm

+1. They’re dying for corrupt corporate greed (NWO). Not worth the lives of our diggers.

24. DoubleA

April 26, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I’d say Rockie is about a 10 to 15% chance at best to score above 120, so I’d take the Swan score. Even if Rocky beats the score, unless he pulls out an absolutely massive game, you’re talking about maybe 10 points. Any other week you’d be happy with a 120 from your captain, so I’d take it. The only thing that irks me about Swannies score is he was on like 110-115 for nearly the entire 4th quarter. Usually he’s good for about 30 points during junk time. Could have been a monster, but whatever.

• DoubleA

April 26, 2013 at 1:01 pm

There I go talking to myself again. Must learn how to use the reply but. That or buy a sh$tload of cats.

• Jarrad

April 26, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I’d say rocky is closer to a 50% chance this week, he’s already scored a 114 and 117 this year and is playing against Melbourne who leak points like a sieve, especially to the highest scorers on the other team ( have you been listening to Calvin? ). I’m stuck with swannies score because I locked him as captain assuming it was too risky to expect none of my players to play. I reckon if I had the opportunity I would lock Rocky in…ah well, I’m still happy with 120 from my captain.

25. Pettiger

April 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Great work as always Dunny.

26. Tom

April 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Dwyer’s terrible score of 47 had drawn me away from taking Swanny’s 120 with Dwyer being the emergency for Crouch. Chucking the big C on Rocky and putting Evans on field for Crouch.

27. shadowboxer89

April 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm

What happens if you have two emergencies for the midfield? disappointed Dwyer only got 47 but if i also put neade as emergency what emergency counts?

• Ticonderous

April 26, 2013 at 1:38 pm

you will cop the lowest emergency score

Rory

April 26, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I’m pretty sure it’s just the one you put the E on first..

• Daniel

April 26, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I’m pretty sure that you’re not sure! Because you get the lowest of the two scores :)

28. Jarrad

April 26, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I think I have 3 of my league games in the bag and for the other 2 that could go either way, my opposition has already locked in trades. So…

Me (for 1st opponent): Dangerfield, Hartlett, Birchall
    Opponent 1: O’Meara, Zorko, Terlich +40

Me (for opponent 2): Whitfield, Dangerfield, Hartlett, Westhoff, Birchall +224
    Opponent 2: Ablett, O’Meara, Murphy, Zorko, Evans, Grimes, Jones, Buddy

What are my chances?

29. Deztroyer

Deztroyer

April 26, 2013 at 2:34 pm

who here thinks Gazza will dominate GWS and bust out a 140+?

he is due for a big one i think.

• Luke

April 26, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Me. I’m unsure whether to put ablett or westhoff as captain???

• Tim

April 26, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Seriously? You think Ablett’s going to get 140+ and you’re considering Westhoff as a viable alternative!

30. jacob

April 26, 2013 at 2:51 pm

thinking if tradin one of my rookie defenders (Goodes, Terlich, Pittard) with Plowman on the bench to a more premium defender, have about 350k in the bank plus the money made from Mayes and Evans this week,

suggestions ?

and is it to early to be thinking of upgrading Ollie Wines to someone like a selwood ect..

Deztroyer

April 26, 2013 at 2:57 pm

if you wanted to do that terlich would be who i would trade… but they all are scoring well and have a lot more $$$ to make.

Wines is a BIG NO to trade… he has the ability to rise up to $400k and even being your M7 or M8 like zorko last year.

• Daniel

April 26, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Personally I’d downgrade Plowman to Docherty or Vlastuin, but this can wait 1-2 weeks (depending which one you want).
      You could try Pittard to Birchall. I was very close to trading Stevenson for Birchall this week but needed to fix other things. That being said, I agree with Deztroyer that the rookies still have a bit of fattening up to do. Also agree RE: DONT TRADE WINES.

31. PezzleFC

April 26, 2013 at 5:55 pm

pittard, terlich or hutchins to start on my field?

32. stoner

April 26, 2013 at 7:11 pm

S Hampson, M Daw, M Blicavs & J Hannath as rucks, who do i keep in this week.