The Friday Scramble

The Friday Scramble: Round 1 Part 2

The Partial Lockouts are now behind us and the next time we have a lockout will be the real deal! Now today isn’t so much of a scramble as a bit of a leisurely shuffle. Why? Well we have the day off today and no footy to watch and lockout doesn’t happen until the start of the Dogs v Lions game tomorrow!

Another DTTalk Exclusive: The Friday Scramble - with Dunny

Another DTTalk Exclusive: The Friday Scramble – with Dunny

Well the first part of the round is behind us and we are all doing spectacularly given all our preseason research…. right?  Hell No!  I am one of the ones that took Danger and Scott Selwood into the round expecting a ton from each of them along with Goddard and Heppell!  I was sadly let down, but not to despair, I like most were saved by Gibbsy last night, however I did suffer from another Dusty fade out!!  But the one thing that gives me hope is that we have another 6 games left!

The Partial Lockouts are now behind us and the next time we have a lockout will be the real deal!  Now today isn’t so much of a scramble as a bit of a leisurely shuffle.  Why?  Well we have the day off today and no footy to watch and lockout doesn’t happen until the start of the Dogs v Lions game tomorrow!  So you can relax and just take your time.  This doesn’t mean of course that things aren’t getting desperate!  By tomorrow lunchtime you have to have all your players set, strategies locked and your fingers crossed that you managed to get it all just right!

We are a locked out from 6 teams now so your options are starting to be a bit limited.  But thankfully we now have the teams for the weekend and if you are not going away for the weekend you may want to wait for ‘trimmed’ squads to be announced tonight and make your last minute adjustments in the morning.  Remembering that by the time final lockout comes around you will know the starting subs for both Brisbane and the Western Bulldogs.

Wow the Partial Lockout Saved us!

Many people were thinking  about carrying Stevie J into the season given he was only going to miss the first round.  But thankfully the partial lockout has meant that we are still able to move him out of our sides and take someone that is likely to play before May!  The other place that it really helps is with the rookies.  We just don’t know who is going to play and who isn’t.  Many of us were very sure that Nick Vlaustin was a lock to play last night, but we now know that he didn’t.

But this is nothing new.  Just make sure that before you hit “Save My Team” for the last time on Saturday at around 1:40pm EDT that you are confident that each and every guy on your squad is going to play!  With our 44 trades now we don’t have to have another “Tom Couch” incident like last year where we hang on to a guy because we think he will play round 3 or 4 only to find he doesn’t get out there and when he does he only plays a couple of games.

Monday Gambles

Whilst we all love having a game on Easter Monday it can play havoc with our teams!  We won’t find out the final teams for Monday until Saturday night after lockout!  So be very careful if you are taking rookies from Geelong or Hawthorn into your side, particularly if they are named on an extended bench.  Make sure that if you are determined to take one of these guys that you aren’t relying on them to be a scorer for you just in case they don’t make the cut.

Selection Carnage!

So we were all locked.  We had our structures and rookies all sorted then BANG! It hit… the storm that was the Thurs night teams.  No Vlaustin, Terlich, Leuenberger  or Docherty.  However, we did get some help with Neade, K Mitchell and Blicavs all being named.  Blicavs has been named as first ruck!

There was a lot of restructuring going on, however, it is today that we can sit back, calm down and take an objective view of our teams.  By the time lockout comes tomorrow we will know final teams except for Hawks v Cats.  Just be careful if playing rookies that are named on the extended bench.

Probably the key difference to remember this year is that with our 44 trades you don’t need to hold a player in the hope that they will play in the next week or so.  You need to be selecting guys that are playing this week.  However, having said that you should of course be thinking about the Job Security still.  No point changing over your rookies every single week because then you can’t get to the main task of upgrades.

Big Decisions to be made

Today we have to make the big decisions.  If you haven’t already got your rucks locked, then it is a fair bet that you were planning to go with Leuenberger.  So now that we know he isn’t playing what are you going to do?  There are a couple of options that you have.  If you have the cash to go to a premium that hasn’t played yet then you can do that.  Other options would be that you could go to a cheaper ruck like a Zac Smith or even to Berger’s replacement in Billy Longer.

The other decision is on your rookies.  Personally I will be making my main decisions once the final teams (apart from Monday’s teams) are known tonight.  Then we will have a much better picture from those extended Sunday benches.  One thing that I have heard a bit over the last day or so is that people are worried about how many Power players they have on their team.  I too am in that boat.  As a Power supporter I am extra nervous about the number of these guys in my side.  If they stink then not only does my real team stink, but my DT side will also stink!!  However, given the state that the Power find themselves in, they are probably the best option to give these rookies a game.  The guys that we have to choose from at the cheaper prices look like guys that should be in the best 26 so these guys should have good Job Security.

Rookie Research

Just to throw a few things out for you.  Last night I went to the West Adelaide v Centrals SANFL game and saw Brad Crouch rack up 101 DT Pts and if he doesn’t get picked for the Crows this week I will be surprised.  Sam Colquhoun had 128 pts in an unassuming performance.  Early on he wasn’t noticeable, but in the second half he really stepped it up.  Robbie Gray wasn’t big on the stats sheet or the DT points (35 pts) but he moved well and his knee didn’t trouble him.  As they say in the classics he will be better for the run.

Things To Remember

• Don’t leave it til lunch on Saturday – We have a day and a half to get our teams set.  Don’t leave it until the last minute!!
  • If you haven’t heard their name over the last two months… Don’t start thinking they are the answer for your team!  There must be a reason you haven’t heard of them until scanning through the player lists.
  • Don’t let the bye’s scare you  – With our new trading structure we have plenty of time to get the bye’s right.  Don’t ignore them but don’t let them rule your team.
  • Trust your Research!!! – You have done the prep, you know what you are doing!  If not, then buy the Cheat Sheet and see what the Boys reckon!
  • “Keep Calm and Lock Swan”

Good luck in getting your teams set.  If you are like me you will be looking forward to lockout so that you can stop tinkering with your team!!  Keep on twitter throughout Friday and Saturday to keep up to date with any team changes and particularly make sure you check the final teams when they are announced tonight and also when the subs and late changes are announced tomorrow for the first game of the day.  If I hear anything I will let you all know on twitter, give me a follow @pkd73  Have a Great Easter weekend, enjoy the chocolate and have a great time watching the footy!!

1. Brentus-Maximus

March 29, 2013 at 7:25 am

Thanks mate, great article.

I too am worried about too many port players. At the moment have 3 rookie priced port players in the backs with Pittard, Stevenson and Heath. I am running a 3 premo/ 5 rookie backline and have Goodes and Plowman as well. Does anybody have thoughts on other options? I am particurly concerned about Heath (don’t know much about him)

• Seany Samp

March 29, 2013 at 9:21 am

I’ve got the same as you but with Terlich instead of Plowman (Terlich might be named from rounds 2-23, but just not round 1). As a Port supporter, I’m confident that Pittard and Stevenson are in the best 22.
      For now Heath is in there as well, but when we start getting Cassisi, Gray, Butcher, Ebert etc. back, he may get pushed out. In saying that, I doubt we will have an injury-less team every round, so Heath may stay in there.

• Aidan

March 29, 2013 at 9:56 am

Wouldn’t have Powman on the field, will give you Glass like scores

• Angus

March 29, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Heath is being developed as a kick-in specialist; ie cash cow

• mufc

March 29, 2013 at 10:17 am

i have the exact same back rooks running 3 premos but i will possibly get rid of heath for terlich when he starts playing to reduce the number of port players. I may go plowman down if he doesnt perform and get some money back

2. Roos_rule27

March 29, 2013 at 7:48 am

Cheers for that one Kreuzer !

3. Roos_rule27

March 29, 2013 at 8:16 am

oh and great article Dunny.

4. Henry

March 29, 2013 at 8:30 am

Can anyone tell me why Danny Stanley is not in the GC team for Round 1?? I can’t find an injury report on him.

• tnargus

March 29, 2013 at 9:19 am

Will be watching the team sheets closely, as Wines and Mitchell (among others) are only in extended squads. I would imagine both would be included but at this moment I am formulating a back up plan regardless.

Also concerned about the backline rooks. Have J Frost in there on the bench at the moment, but not sold on him. Wright from StK also an option.

Finally, Dustin Martin….you are gone as soon as lockout finishes.

• leetrevor81

March 29, 2013 at 11:04 am

Why would you get rid of dusty? His score wasn’t horrible and he looked great in the first half. Murphy’s law says if you trade him out he will get a hundred and the guy you get in gets 50…trade at your own risk

• Albert Lloyd

March 29, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Dusty did the same thing every week last year.

If you were silly enough to pick him it’s your own fault.

• 3rdMonkey

March 29, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Yeah, keep Dusty for round 2 at least. Richmond & Carlton are pretty much the two stingiest sides in terms of conceding DT points, and as you saw most good players across both sides scored below average last night. Both sides will score higher next week.

You would’ve picked Dusty hoping for a 90+ average for his price and given his role and the fact he got within a few points of that I see no reason to sell him already.

• tnargus

March 29, 2013 at 9:19 am

And I have no idea why that was a reply, not just a post.

But hi! :D

5. Gaza

March 29, 2013 at 8:50 am

I’ve just heard Swanny tweaked a hammy and is in doubt….

• tigers80

March 29, 2013 at 9:02 am

Someone is jealous they can’t fit swan into their structure

• Mike Oxlong

March 29, 2013 at 11:13 am

Nice try Gaz but Swan is a better captain choice. Deal with it. You’re still an upgrade target though

• Andrew

March 29, 2013 at 2:15 pm

That’s poor form Gaza.

• Gaza

March 29, 2013 at 2:37 pm

you blokes need to lighten up a bit lol! I’m gambling on Swan have a few bad games so I can capitalise on his price drop, too many $$ to tie up in both Swan and Gaz when I can throw a few uniques in that will gain $$

6. Tarik Alibasic

March 29, 2013 at 8:52 am

After reading the article, I still have no idea what to
    Do with Berger? Should I leave him on the pine and play Blicavs cause he is first ruck! And I
    Don’t have plenty of cash in the bank..

• Mumbles

March 29, 2013 at 9:17 am

Find 8 grand and get Longer.

• Roos_rule27

March 29, 2013 at 9:18 am

I went with Cox + Kreuzer :)))

• tnargus

March 29, 2013 at 9:21 am

I’m looking at 3 options:

1) Berger on bench, Blicavs in R2
      2) Berger OUT Longer IN
      3) Berger OUT Z Smith IN

Presently going with option 3. But 1 is tempting too.

• Mumbles

March 29, 2013 at 9:27 am

1) is a risk …you won’t know final teams for monday at lockout.
        Cats have named Trent West in the squad.

• mufc

March 29, 2013 at 10:19 am

i have the same dilema with smith in their at the moment but will be watching blicavs because if he can perform i will downgrade smith to currie or some other ruc who should get named eventually

• Alex Coleman

March 29, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Swap for Longer as cover and play Blicavs as R3 . Blicavs has played just over 10 games since under 14’s so I don’t think he will be a value DT pick

7. leetrevor81

March 29, 2013 at 11:00 am

I’m not stressed about having 3 port defenders, or if I pick a defender that doesn’t score great. It’s especially no big deal if 1 or 2 of the port players are your emergency or 8th defender, only one or two of your port scores will be included in your score.

To me the main thing is having everyone scoring. Remember the 8th defender, you don’t have to take their score and with 2 trades a week if your unsure about someone like Heath you can simply swap him out for a Crouch, Docherty or Terlich next week

8. lbj631

March 29, 2013 at 11:07 am

Should I get Jack Frost or Terlich

• leetrevor81

March 29, 2013 at 11:17 am

Wait for the teams tonight and see if Frost makes the final cut. Terlich isn’t playing apparently

• Jackadaktal

March 29, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Now neither are playing…
        Go Heath

9. MC

March 29, 2013 at 11:25 am

Gary Ablett as m2 and Mccaffer f7 and Dwyer f8

Or

Any other mid as m2 and Patton f7 and Mccaffer f8

Wish i worked this out before partial lock out as the options are limited now. Going with Ablett option though. What are people’s thoughts.

• jack

March 29, 2013 at 11:27 am

Ablett

10. jack

March 29, 2013 at 11:26 am

O’Meara, Viney or Neade for final midfield spot?? Thinking O’Meara but everyone has hyped him up heaps

• Jesse

March 29, 2013 at 12:31 pm

O’meara for sure, there’s a reason why he’s so hyped up

• Jahan

March 29, 2013 at 3:04 pm

neade should be in your forward line if anything

• Alex Coleman

March 29, 2013 at 4:29 pm

O’Meara or Viney. Viney will get more opportunity in the midfield but O’Meara is the better prospect

11. hussy

March 29, 2013 at 11:34 am

are wines and mitchell certain starters for port? whats the latest news

• Jackadaktal

March 29, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Both in the team
      Talk of Mitchell being the sub

12. BigVic2006

March 29, 2013 at 11:48 am

Great article Dunny. Doing a Good Friday prayer to the AFL selectors to pick Wines and Mitchell. Glad we have 44 trades this season.

• Magpie28

March 29, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Not sure 44 trades is a good thing… won’t everyone just have the same team by R8 or something?

13. Joke_R

March 29, 2013 at 11:52 am

Great Article Dunny. Just waiting for a few of those bench selections to be confirmed tonight and my team is mostly set. Blicavs being named as first ruck is great. West being named on an extended bench is not. Think I’m going to cross my fingers on Jed Anderson at M10 love the way he plays, and in a controversial decision, I will be starting Jeager O’Meara on my bench.

14. Matt

March 29, 2013 at 12:08 pm

now Jake Stringer was not named but thoughts on him???

• Ben

March 29, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I had him on bench as a bit of a smokey, heard he was a gun but not named he did have a bit of an injury cloud over his head apparently, so now question is will he play round 2?

15. Kevin

March 29, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I love the scramble Dunny!! Great work champ.
    I’m shattered over Lucas’ horrible effort. Dusty was back to his fading ways after they promised us how much better he was going to be! Could be some knee jerk trades happening Monday night!!!! Haha

16. Kirk Mackintosh

March 29, 2013 at 12:25 pm

All i know is Lids and Lycett have both let me down incrediably, looks like the axe could be swinging

• Ben

March 29, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Flipped a coin on cotch or lids…. I went lids ;( not happy

• Thomas

March 29, 2013 at 1:27 pm

It was sort of expected with Lids because he hasn’t cracked the ton against against the Blues the last 10 times I think. He will turn it around next week.

17. Kamil

March 29, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Well, i’m glad I jumped on Kreuzer, Will be the Maric of 2013 I believe, his clean hands every time he had to hit the deck to get the ball was truly incredible, have not seen a ruckman play that well in quite some time. Will average 95+ this year. Lock n’ Load!

18. Koroni

March 29, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Top article Dunny, I didn’t have Heath I’m my side all pre season as I was running with Pittard and Stevenson but I still think he is a solid option. Even when Carlile is fit, O’Shea is more at risk at getting dropped then Heath.

Wines was named on the ground on the Powers Facebook page. Hombsch has been named for Sturt.

Is anyone else running with Shannon Byrnes or Varcoe as a forward bench option?

• Andrew

March 29, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Nice info about Hombsch being named for Sturt, but there’s still plenty of competition on the Port extended bench.

I’m running with Varcoe at the moment, not sure on Byrnes scoring well but the alternative is having Macaffer on the field. Not great either.

19. lochie

March 29, 2013 at 2:36 pm

It sounded like a bloody good game of footy last night (Had it on the radio driving back from Canberra to Sydney).

Kruezer did sound very dynamic – might have a little tweak in my ruckline:

Maric, Roughhead -> Maric, Kruezer

I have Cox in my FWD line as backup and linked with Roughy at the moment.

For Tigers fans out there, you must be pretty happy with that outcome last night, I knew Tigers would win should be in the finals this year!

20. Ben

March 29, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Who to bench out of toumpas, o meara or k.stevens?

• leetrevor81

March 29, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Toumpas I think

O’Meara is meant to be an absolute gun, and if your playing 200 grand for Koby Stevens, you should play him. If your going to pay a bit more for a mid pricer you should back them in and name them on the ground, otherwise you might as well save 100 grand and swap him for a rookie

21. The_JD

March 29, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Should i take Gibbs’s 133 as loop hole captain?

• shagsadam

March 29, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I certainly am. Not getting too greddy too early ;)

22. Jahan

March 29, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Anyone know much about this Dane Rampe guy? Looks like his named for the Swans and is very cheap

23. Matt

March 29, 2013 at 3:22 pm

DEF: Goddard, Gibbs, Heppell, Pittard, Goodes, Stevenson (Terlich, Frost)
    MID: Swan, Ablett, Pendelbury, Danger, Fyfe, Whitfield, Toumpas, O’meara (Wines, Crouch)
    RUC: Cox, Jacobs (Blicavs, Currie)
    FWD: Bartel, Zorko, Rockliff, Kennedy, KArnezis, Macaffer (Rowe, Stringer)

Cash left $7,300

Thoughts appreciated

• Lukey85

March 29, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Swap Frost to Campbell Heath so you will at least have a playing emergency in defence. Stringer > Neade as well for this same reason. Rest looks decent.

24. leetrevor81

March 29, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Like many on here…Your benches look to be a problem.

Terlich is on an extended bench, Frost is on an extended bench, Wines is on an extended bench, Crouch did not get picked, Currie didn’t even make the squad, Rowe did not play, String, as far as I know is not even in a squad.

When the final sides for Sunday are announced later, check to make sure your rookies are playing…you will be kicking yourself if you get an injury and you don’t have an emergency

• Ben

March 29, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Yes agree, the above team will have all sorts of problems come round 2 when there will only be 2 trades. Crouch and Rowe are locked for now, stringer from the dogs is not named maybe next week but for now you need to take him out for someone who is playing eg neade. As for the others need to see if they get a gig…..word is terlich will not….. Basically if there not playing there’s no points or $ to be made so why do it? I like many others had crouch, vlastuin etc but had to drop as I have already set aside 1 trade for dangerfield haha

25. LucRichardMbahAMoute

March 29, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Is it a stupid move to have Swan, Beams and Pendlebury in the same starting midfield? Boyd really f**ked me up

• Ben

March 29, 2013 at 4:26 pm

http://dreamteam.afl.com.au/team/news?article_id=171. Your only problem will be who to make captain haha and who to trade out come bye time

• leetrevor81

March 29, 2013 at 4:39 pm

No not at all, they all averaged over 100 in the same team last year so don’t see any reason why they won’t all be guns in the same team again.

As for bye rounds, with 2 trades a week you should find a way to get through it.

Not to mention lots planned their sides around the bye rounds only to get bitten by injuries and have to change their teams anyway

• LucRichardMbahAMoute

March 29, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Cheers guys, appreciate the love all the way from Cameroon

26. Alex Coleman

March 29, 2013 at 4:42 pm

According to the AFL website, Leuenberger has played modified minutes in the reserves and is almost ready to go. He should be playing Round 2, which is at the Gabba (definite plus) against Adelaide. So looks like everyone who has Longer or Smith, it will only be a one week thing.

• Jahan

March 29, 2013 at 4:55 pm

• Jackadaktal

March 29, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Damn, I was really starting to warm to smith
      Might still see how he goes…

27. Ethan

March 29, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Final Teams For Sunday’s Games.

North Melbourne v Collingwood.

North Melbourne Bench: Anthony, Adams, Wright, Gibson.
    Emergencies; Daw, Sierakowski, Hine.

Collingwood Bench: Clarke, Dwyer, Johnson, Russell.
    Emergencies: Frost, Seedsman, Thomas.

Melbourne v Port Adelaide

Melbourne Bench: Blease, Pedersen, Tapscott, Jones.
    Emergencie: Davey, Spencer, Terlich.

Port Adelaide Bench: Lobbe, Wines, Moore, Mitchell.
    Emergencies: Hombsch, Young, D Stewart.

• jack

March 29, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Thx mate wines is in!

• Magpie28

March 29, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Thank you mate for providing us with something the AFL website cannot… still got asterisks next to every bench despite teams being announced 6 hours ago!

28. ChopYouUp

March 29, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Ok after some extensive search i have found out where D. Stanley is

************DANNY STANLEY****************

he has actually been named captain of the SUNS reserves side, who knows if it is just to get a game in to him before the season or if this will be a continuing trend.

29. Koroni

March 29, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Mitchell or Wines as the sub?

• shagsadam

March 29, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Going by NAB Cup form I’m very tempted to go Mitchell. But everyone is hyping up Wines. Coin toss scenario I’m afraid…

• Robo

March 29, 2013 at 7:24 pm

if its any help- Mitchell is 37K cheaper than Wines

• random_guy

March 29, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I have no inside info on this but from what I know of the two Mitchell is supremely fit and has a more mature body. Wines is solid but younger and doesn’t have the tank to run out a full game of AFL week after week.

My bet is for Wines as the sub… only my best guess though.

30. LucRichardMbahAMoute

March 29, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Wines or Mitchell to be the Sub? I’m almost certain one of them will have to be. Any Port fans have the inside tip? If I leave my team as is, one will start, one will be reserve

31. Matt

March 29, 2013 at 9:42 pm

thoughts on Jake Stringer for a round two start??

• leetrevor81

March 29, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Not sure, but I’d rather have a definite starter this week and if need be trade him in next week if the guy you chose under performs or gets injured

32. dtm

March 30, 2013 at 1:26 am

longer or smith?

33. jmansbeasts

March 30, 2013 at 2:13 am

What does everyone think of my team
    DEF: goddard, gibbs, heppel, grimes, goodes, stevensen (Pittard, Terlich)

MIDS: swan, pendlebury, dangerfield, cotchim, fyfe, moloney, mitchell, o”meara (Kommer, Viney)

RUCK: cox, longer (blicavs, daw)

FWD: rockliffe, lecras, martin, karnezis, varcoe, (rowe, macaffer)

34. Jackson S

March 30, 2013 at 11:23 am

dwyer and hanley, armstrong and moloney or newnes and harbrow

35. Pinochio

March 30, 2013 at 1:03 pm

terlich or frost for D8??

heard and read on demons forums terlich might be further away then we think….couch again?
    but frost is pushing…..might even be a late in??

thoughts ASAP?

thx

36. Conor

March 30, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Kieran Jack or Josh Kennedy? who would be a better pick

• Ben

March 30, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I’ve had both, for there early draw, but don’t think Jack will outscore Swan, 10mins ago Jack became Swan, if that helps.

37. DoubleA

April 1, 2013 at 4:18 pm

It seems Geelong decided to out-smart everyone and go without a ruckmen altogether. Also appear to have replaced Bartel with a pylon. I guess that works.