Deck of Dream Team

Chris Knights – Deck of Dream Team 2013

We all like an underpriced player but we all like to have a look at someone who is getting an opportunity at a new club to hopefully get back to their best. Chris Knights is one of these guys and Warnie has a look at whether you should be picking the cheap forward in your AFL Dream Team.

Name: Chris Knights
Club: Richmond
Position: Forward
Assistant Coach 2013 Price: $254,500
Bye Round: 11
2012 Average: 49.4
2012 Games Played: 5
Predicted Average: 75

Why should I pick him?

Chris Knights left the Crows at the end of the season as the Tigers pounced to sign their first free agent under the new AFL rules.

My first real DT memory was having Knightsy in 2007 when he averaged 88 from 21 games in his third season. He was one of the dudes who made us excited about the infamous third year breakout rule after improving his average by a massive 38 points from his second season. From here he gave us averages of 83 and 85 in the next two seasons. A few of us jumped on board in 2011 after he was discounted from his injury affected 2010.

The main reason that he is an option for our forward lines in 2013 is that he is coming off a season where he only played 5 games at an average of less than 50. This was mainly due to an early season injury and then he was unable to get much of a run through the good form of his team mates at the Crows. His season read like this:

• Round 12 vs St Kilda – 16 points (started as sub)
  • Round 14 vs Richmond – 80 points
  • Round 15 vs Port Adelaide – 52 points
  • Round 16 vs GWS Giants – 69 points (started as sub)
  • Round 21 vs Brisbane – 30 points (started as sub)

With opportunity, Knights will be a great pick. The Tigers were ecstatic when they were able to pick him up for nothing as a free agent. Knights told SEN after signing that he would predominantly play as a high forward, but was happy to line up in whatever position he would be needed (source). This is all very promising.

Why shouldn’t I pick him?

It’s very early in the pre-season and we honestly don’t really know where Knightsy will sit at the Tigers. I’m sure he is definitely in the mix and should be walk up best 22, but time will tell. He has had plenty of injury woes over his 8 year career – never playing a full season – so he comes with a fair bit of risk anyway.

There is also a bit of rollercoaster around the way Knights plays his footy. Over his career, he has needed goals to boost his score. Depending how how high of a forward he is playing and whether he gets midfield time will also have a factor here.

All in all, the main reasons why you would say no now is that he’s always a chance to breakdown and we have no idea what his real role will be at the Tigers.

Deck of DT Rating.

JACK – Chris Knights comes with some risk, hence the jack tag… but if he is given the opportunity and he can stay fit, then he is a must have player in our Dream Teams in 2013. Knightsy has to be at the top of your NAB Cup watch list simply due to someone who has averaged 80+ on three occasions is a bargain at under $300K. For his price, some might argue that you should save your dollars and just get on a rookie – those extra few dollars buys you a bit more job security in my opinion. At only 26, Knightsy reeks value. Hopefully he holds up for us come round one.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: @WarnieDT for all things DT (and more). Got something to say about the deck? Use the hashtag… #DeckofDT.

1. Shorty

December 20, 2012 at 8:19 am

Great Write up Warnie!

There seems to be a wide range of Fwd Mid Pricers this year in LeCras, Kennedy, Bock, Gray, Knights and Varcoe. ATM i have Varcoe and Kennedy but that will most likely change come the end of the NAB cup. Knights certainly shows a heap of potential value and should be on everyone’s radar if going for a Mid priced Fwd.

2. adam88

December 20, 2012 at 9:30 am

small typo at the end there mate
    someone who has averaged 80+ on three occasions is a bargain at under $200K.
    when at the top it said his price is 250k

apart from that thanks for making me reconsider my varcoe choice!… more pondering to come

• tbetta

December 20, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Cheers mate. Fixed.

3. Gghippo

December 20, 2012 at 9:43 am

Good article Warnie. But I’m going to pass, as there just seems to be options with better job security around that price bracket i.e. Winderlich, Varcoe, Krak, Kennedy, etc.

BTW – I’d love to see a #DeckofDT on Jared Brennan now he has been classed as a defender…

4. PurpleArmy (aka Space Goats)

December 20, 2012 at 9:44 am

Oooh I dunno, I dunno. He’s prob the most risky pick this year. Has shown he can score in one hand and gets injured in the other. Bailing out is also hard there’s not a lot to do with $240k do you upgrade or downgrade?. Nab cup will answer many things.
    Definitely on the watch list

5. Semisonic

December 20, 2012 at 10:33 am

Man I hate the deck. Saw the deck article and thought “Pfft no way”.

Read why I should section – “hmm maybe I will”.

Read why I shouldn’t section – “oh nah I definitely won’t”.

Read the rating – “well I’ll keep an eye on him”.

This happens almost daily. Only about 40 to go.

• Paul

December 20, 2012 at 11:07 am

haha. This.

6. Justin

December 20, 2012 at 10:35 am

One of the few mid pricers left with real value. Will watch his nab cup carefully.

7. Warren

December 20, 2012 at 10:36 am

I’m afraid he’s just one of those players you look at every year and say “this could be the year”. Just too injury prone. With a little luck he could earn a bit of cash to trade…but just too risky for me!

8. Bugger

December 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I like hearing all the people that are going to pass. Warnie, Knights was stuck on the HF flank with bit midfield time mostly because of Roo, Macca, Edwards, thompson, goodwin etc.And also Graigy was pretty stubborn with where he played guys. Never gave Knights much of a chance, and maybe in some respect he didn’t grab the little chance got by the scruff of the neck. But look at the difference a change brought to Walker who is one the main power forwards going around next year. By the sounds of it will be a good POD.

• Bugger

December 20, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I’d bet my left nut if he stays fit (fingers crossed) he’ll average closer to 80-90ppg. Richmond would not have lured him away to play HF most of the time. it was the promise of midfield time that brought him over.Booming left foot kick for goal on the run.

• deez go

December 20, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Deledio, Cotchin and Martin, as well as Grigg are locks. Unless Knights is ahead of Conca, Tuck and Foley for the last starting position on the ground, I’d say no midfield time!

• deez go

December 20, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Grigg has that booming left foot on the wing, kicking inside 50-if knights was right footed, maybe.

• EMM

December 20, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Houli was promised more mid time if he came to the tigers and all he’s done is play half back, but these days most HB and HF play a little Mid.

9. deez go

December 20, 2012 at 1:28 pm

He will average 75, which is not enough to be a keeper. Knights was a half forward and now it is even harder to get a spot in Richmond’s midfield- Foley, Deledio, Cotchin, Martin,Tuck are all ahead of him, and with the additions of Vlastuin and Conca in recent years I don’t see him going into the middle.

10. GrandOldFlag

December 20, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Thing is he should score well enough to keep the points coming in and also make a bit of coin to make the upgrade to a season long keeper.

In my squad at the moment but I have the sneaking suspicion I have too many midpricers and will miss out on a juicy rookie

• deez go

December 20, 2012 at 4:50 pm

70 points a game is not enough. Unless you want to downgrade him.

11. EMM

December 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Richmond always needed a genuine half fwd and finally they got one. Tigers were the 2nd highest scoring DT team last season and he’s definitely a best 22 player, they wouldn’t have got if he wasn’t. In terms of numbers he can avg. 80 to 85 but the question is his fitness, if he’s right to go then you can have him for half the season then upgrade.
    I personally think if i decide to pick 2 mid price fwds then Knights could be one of those.

12. Balayah

December 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm

This could be Maric all over again. Only thing that’s keeping me interested.

13. Reprobates

December 20, 2012 at 6:43 pm

This is one of the more interesting positions to fill in our teams, fwd 5. Bit of a raffle it appears.

• Dream on!

December 20, 2012 at 7:48 pm

+1. Varcoe, Knights, JJK, a fit Gray and the forgotten man that’s in my team but not a lot of others, Winderlich.

14. Calvin

Calvin

December 20, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Ha ha great write up

AGREE BIG TIME with those who say – “no way” and then after reading it, you feel like he has to be atleast on the radar if not in the squad ha ha.

Tricky thing this deck of DT ha ha

15. Bandicoot

December 20, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Once he made himself a free agent, I would suggest there would have been more than 1 club interested. I therefore believe he has chosen Richmond as he has been promised/assured of an opportunity to show he can play midfield. I similarly believe Richmond haven’t wasted a position on their list for him to play minor a role.