Deck of Dream Team

Brent Moloney – Deck of Dream Team 2013

If mid-priced players are on your agenda now that we have the ability to pick 8 MIDs, then maybe Brent Moloney could be a great point of difference for you. See what TeeTee has to say!

dec15_moloney

Name: Brent Moloney
Club: Brisbane
Position: MID
Assistant Coach 2013 Price: $309,800
Bye Round: 11
2012 Average: 59.6
2012 Games Played: 15
Predicted Average: 80

Why should I pick him?

Brent Moloney is a bit of a throwback, an old school on-ball clearance workhorse. His playing style (and his Deck of DT pic) may not be the prettiest, but he has a proven Dream Team resume, boasting a better-than-80 ppg average in seasons 2008 to 2011. While his overall numbers are not especially spectacular and obviously not in the premium range, his fantasy output has been respectable and the key here is his potential return on investment.

Under Mark Neeld’s stewardship, Moloney fell out of favour as the new coach set about steering the Dees in a different tactical direction. However, a close look at Moloney’s 2012 season reveals five scores of 80 ppg or greater over 15 games played. A look further back to 2011 reveals nine rounds where he topped the ton. While his ceiling is moderate at around 120-130, his record marks him as a fairly steady producer, rather than a boom-or-bust roller coaster ride. His experience and size should boost the Lions’ on-ball brigade and it’s likely that this was a factor in Brisbane’s recruitment of the restricted free agent during this off-season.

For coaches who see the selection of one or three mid-pricers as being the catalyst to getting off to a good start in AFL Fantasy 2013, Moloney comes into consideration as a value proposition. As with all mid-pricers, his ticket will be the deal maker (or breaker). If his starting price is around the $250k mark, he is worth a serious look. If he can hit an 80 ppg average, there is a decent cash cow element to Moloney as well, providing a straightforward route to a premo upgrade fairly early on in the new season. Of course, if you’re locked into a guns’n’rookies strategy, he won’t be on your radar, but if you’re looking for value with steady output as part of a balanced squad, Moloney could fit your mid-priced budget.

Why shouldn’t I pick him?

Where he slides in to the midfield pecking order at Brissie is anyone’s guess. Logically, he should get plenty opportunity to ply his trade inside, on the ball, as a stop-gap solution where the Lions’ see a deficiency. But after a below-par 2012 season playing on the fringes of the Dees midfield rotation, is it realistic to expect that he’s going to bounce back to pumping out 80-90 ppg at a new club? Add to that the fact that he’ll be in the mix with fantasy guns Rocky, Redden and Zorko. Whether he’ll be a bit-part player or a significant AFL Fantasy contributor for the Lions posts a valid query against Moloney.

Deck of DT Rating.

JACK – There is too much on-ball talent at Brissie to expect that he busts out a 90+ ppg average. While it’s doubtful that Moloney will throw up Zorko-like scores, if he is played through the middle then he is likely to return a realistic average of  80 ppg in the M5-M6 slot to get your season off to a solid start. If the price is right, Moloney offers a good value proposition, but temper your expectations due to his relatively low ceiling and yet-ro-be-determined role.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: Hit me up on the Tweetvine @TeeTeeDT.

Include the hashtag #DeckofDT for any Deck-related guff.

1. Dream on!

December 15, 2012 at 8:02 am

The existence of Embley and Ball means no for Molo.

2. Pettiger

December 15, 2012 at 8:06 am

Not sure on Moloney yet. As with most will have to judge on pre-season. Nice work TeeTee.

3. Shorty

December 15, 2012 at 8:08 am

Thanks Tee-Tee,

ATM i have Ball over Embley/Moloney as my mid-priced Midfielder. But if he is at 250k like you suggest instead of 310k on Fan Footy i might take a look at him. Especially if Ball doesn’t get the discount he has now and ends up costing around 320-330k.

• Big Feller

December 15, 2012 at 10:24 am

Completely agree!

4. Dream on!

December 15, 2012 at 8:13 am

What’s the reasoning for Moloney getting a discount? 15 games is too much you’d think.

• Shorty

December 15, 2012 at 8:15 am

I don’t think he has a discount, I’m pretty sure he is just priced at an average of 60

• Dream on!

December 15, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Yeah I know he hasn’t got one, but some people are theorising that he might be 250k. There’s no way the MN is going to be lower than it is on FF.

5. 3rdMonkey

December 15, 2012 at 8:26 am

I’m curious how Moloney impacts Rockliff. Another mid but no more forwards (correct me if I’m missing anyone). Even Zorko playing Rocky’s mid/fwd role in the back half of the season didn’t release him, and even further dropped Rocky’s scores. Redden I can see improving, but on what basis are we all so confident Rockliff will play more midfield time in 2013? Or are we just hoping?

• GrandOldFlag

December 15, 2012 at 8:58 am

Perhaps someone with a bit more brissy knowledge could answer, but I believe Rocky was just covering an injury hole last year.

Vossy would have to be blind and stupid not to see where Rockliff produces his best.

As for Moloney, he could present decent value but a lot depends on his starting price and also how much game time he gets at his new club. I doubt they would leave him out unless his form (or him sooking!) gets in the way

• Nick

December 15, 2012 at 11:22 am

Yes 100% correct there. Just filling the injury filled forward line. We all know that Rocky was a forward as a junior (as the bloody commentators always venture back to his goal haul in the u/18 final) so obviously he can play there. With Luey going down early meant that we were short of a hit up target in the forward line which Vossy believed Rocky could fill. In turn this obviously affected his scores.

A week ago Rocky got interviewed on LIONSTV saying that he is going to predominately be a midfielder that can rest in the forward line and hopefully snag a few +9’s or +12’s.

But as for Moloney I can only see this bring the likes of Rocky into the game more. Moloney is obviously a ‘in and under’ player who should feed the ball out to the likes of Rocky and Zorko. And with Moloney’s specialty being clearance work (which the Lions really lacked in previous years) this can only bring our other midfielders into the game.

• The UnderAchievers

December 15, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Stefan Martin will now be one of the other hit up forwards so I can see Rocky being a Midfielder predominately this year rather than the hit up forward he was for much of last year.

• Shorty

December 15, 2012 at 8:59 am

Good point! I think where all just assuming he had a down year and will go straight back to averaging 110+. I’m not one of them. Brisbane have a lot of Midfield depth and Rocky will find it very hard to play large minutes in the guts. Rocky hasn’t done any favors for himself this year after performing so well as a forward. Now when Vossy is wanting to fit in his Midfield depth he will look to putin I don’t see him averaging 110 again. I only see him averaging around 100, but because he is a fwd, this still really good and that’s why i think he is on of the most picked players.

• Shorty

December 15, 2012 at 9:00 am

Sorry forget my last post, this is the finished one:

Good point! I think where all just assuming he had a down year and will go straight back to averaging 110+. I’m not one of them. Brisbane have a lot of Midfield depth and Rocky will find it very hard to play large minutes in the guts. Rocky hasn’t done any favors for himself this year after performing so well as a forward. Now when Vossy is wanting to fit in his Midfield depth he will look to put Rocky up forward and keep the others in the guts. I don’t see him averaging 110 again. I only see him averaging around 100, but because he is a fwd, this still really good and that’s why i think he is on of the most picked players.

• Big Feller

December 15, 2012 at 10:27 am

If there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Voss as a coach makes some “interesting” decisions!

6. TeeTee

December 15, 2012 at 10:10 am

My guesstimate of a $250k-ish starting price for Moloney is definitely not a dependable prediction, but rather a price point where I would consider him as a possible starter.

Good points regarding his role and impact on our fantasy faves from Brissie.

Bring on pre-season!

7. Adamant

December 15, 2012 at 11:35 am

Nice work TeeTee.

I will only be going with one mid-pricer in the mids, and that will be Ball.

Moloney’s role is too unknown and I don’t think he’s worth the risk.

8. Hurl_the_Pears

December 15, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Tempting as he will be way down the pecking order in terms of tags..unlike while he was a Dee (remember Lingy towelling him up for a donut by HT and making him don the red vest in shame?)

I like the look of Beamer than Embers tbh.. and will be a good POD.

9. Kirk Mackintosh

December 15, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Thinking he can be my Ebert/Mcarthy this season along with someone like Ball

10. Reprobates

December 15, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Not for me, rather have Ball, Ebert, Mundy.

11. Reprobates

December 15, 2012 at 1:46 pm

..not Ebert, Embley.

12. Brett

December 15, 2012 at 3:38 pm

you would consider moloney at 250K, only problem is your dreaming if you think that will be his starting price. He will not receive a discount, the MN will be around 5100, so his starting price will be 300-310K. An 80 average in the first 6 games will see his price go to 370-380K. not enough money in it. he would have to average at least 90 to be a worth a possible punt, too much of a risk i think.

• Dream on!

December 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm

+1 to all of that.

13. Jackadaktal

December 15, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Rischitelli looks to be a similar price (on FF)
    reckon he’s a better option, or not worth the risch?

• Antipasto

December 15, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Definitely not worth the pun

• Dream on!

December 15, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Haha!

14. Bandicoot

December 15, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Warmie and co,
    A little of subject – well a lot actually but I thought those who had assistant coach last year were going to have DT opened up to them on 15/12 – today? Apparently not.
    Any idea when it is happening?

• Adamant

December 15, 2012 at 8:46 pm

It opens on the 17th.

• Bandicoot

December 15, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Thanks.

15. joseph

December 15, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Nice Mate, but why would his starting price be at 250? averaged 60?

16. hman

December 19, 2012 at 10:38 am

locked in as my MID 5, to good value to miss, and should rise to around 380-400, I agree I dont expect him to be pumping out massive scores or even being consistant. but he will rise in value early on which is a good enough reason to roll the dice.

• hman

December 19, 2012 at 10:42 am

and after 2 rounds if he turns out to be a flop, with the 30 trades I can easily bring in a firing rookie and pocket the cash.