Calvin’s Captains – Rd. 20
WHAT? NO SWANNY!!! Arggggg, never mind me hearties I have you covered. Can’t blame the boy for having a rum after dominating for us recently! This week is shaping up as a ripper and it’s so important that you are aware of who will fire – and who won’t in your first DT final. Get in there and check it out… arrggg.
Not Looking Good
I’m tipping a low scoring round this week and these guys have poor records that are very concerning. NOW… these guys are still guns, but I’m just letting you know what the stats are:
With the Pies playing at ANZ against the dominating Sydney Swans my alarm bells are ringing. Sydney have only given up 8×100+ scores in the last 4 weeks and have been on fire. Swan is out, which means everyone moves up the list for a tag. Scott Pendlebury has only scored 2×100+ on the Swans in his career of 10 games but did have 107 last time they met with a tag from Bolton. In that game, Steele Sidebottom had his worst score for the 2011 season (51). Brett Deledio plays the Bulldogs who are his worst team by a mile to score DT points on. He has just 1×100+ score on them in his 10 games against them and that was way back in 2006. Matthew Boyd did score his best score ever score on the Tigers in his last game against them… but that was only 115 and he has played them 12 times! Boyd has only played at the MCG once this year and only managed 84. Then we have Scott Thompson who was tagged by Crowley last time he played the Dockers. That was in Rd. 10 this year when he only had 18d for 65pts, plus he hasn’t cracked a ton in the last 3 weeks this year! ARRRGGG!
On the other hand… Dayne Beams didn’t play the Swans last year and has been in smashing form with a lowest score of just 113 in his last 4 this year and Patrick Dangerfield is a smokey who should also be ok this week. He had 110 (32d) in that Rd. 10 game this year against Richmond and is coming off previous scores of 130, 111 and 118. Then we have Jobe Watson who had 110 in his Rd. 1 match against the Roos and has been in good form with a low of 108 in his last 4 and under the roof of Etihad, he should be pretty good!
With all that said… I have named up some bloody guns there and they should be ok (based on some kind of form), but you have been warned as their history isn’t that great!
Before Swan was ruled out… I was very 50/50 in my call between the two guns of the DT world. But on Monday night (before Swan was out) I had made my call and I was going with Gazza this week as my number one. Gutsy call for sure after Swanny has averaged 133 in his last 5 but playing Sydney in Sydney was going to be tough. Anyway, the decision has been made now and this week it is an absolute no brainer and you must go with Gary Ablett and here is the reasons why he was always getting my top spot this week.
- He plays GWS, a team that has given up 17×100+ scores in the last 4 weeks which even takes into account that they gave Power none last week. So basically, 17 in the 3 weeks before that!
- He had 106 on the Giants in Rd. 7 this year and had 33d. Not the best score… but he did it after having those two weeks off with a knee injury and was obviously under done. He had 42pts in the first quarter and faded out from there. The tag of Shiel didn’t help but Gaz is flying at the moment and is obviously untaggable.
- As I just said, his form is wicked! Has a lowest score of just 128 in his last 4 games and averages 142 in his last 3 (Swan avg. 148 in his last 3 though).
- The Suns must win this game! It is so important to their franchise not to lose to these guys again and he will be fighting his little heart out to get it done.
- The game is at Metricon where he has had 152 and 143 in his last 2 games there! The Rd. 7 game was at Manuka Oval.
- Gazza is now tackling. In the last game against the Giants he had just 2 tackles. Compare that to the 21 he has had in the last 3 weeks and you can see my point.
Enough said… clearly a no brainer this week and even if he does mess up… everyone will have him! I’m tipping a 160+ from the little master this week! Good luck and I will see you all in round 21.
TWITTER ME: @CalvinDT to chat about stuff!
Who will be your round 20 captain?
- Gary Ablett (84%, 1,456 Votes)
- Jobe Watson (3%, 58 Votes)
- Dayne Beams (2%, 40 Votes)
- Patty Dangerfield (3%, 47 Votes)
- Matthew Boyd (2%, 41 Votes)
- Scott Pendlebury (1%, 21 Votes)
- Someone else (4%, 70 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,733