DT TALK

Player Projections for DT Finals – Defenders

So it’s almost finals time. Pre-empting my top four finish (yeah right), I’m using my last two trades this week but for those of you who are good coaches or have been lucky enough to avoid this year’s carnage, you still might a have a few left at your disposal. My good friend Kane falls into the ‘good coach’ category and last week reminded me that, at this point of the season, the guys we bring in will be with us for our tilt at the flag. With that in mind, he insisted that it’s essential to make sure the guys we upgrade to have a good finals draw and can smash out tons when we need them most. Hopefully the following can help you make the right decision if you’re tossing up between a few different upgrade options. Also, it might reveal who should be on your field during different weeks of finals.

Basically, I’ve put together a pretty rudimentary formula to project how the best DT players will score in each of our four DT finals matches. I’ve only considered the top 20 players (based on season average) in each position, who have played at least 8 games. Today I start with the defensive options.

For those interested in the maths, I’ve used a weighting to determine the projections. I assume it probably shares some loose similarities to that used by Assistant Coach, although it’s probably more realistic, given that I rarely get within 200 points of my Assistant Coach’s absurd projection. I’ve only included data from the last two years because I reckon some teams have changed tactics/coaches since 2010 (i.e. West Coast). I appreciate that’s not the case for all teams (i.e Freo, who have been consistently sh*t since 1995 and should just fold), but I’ve tried to make it as relevant as possible.

The weightings are as follows:

45%

Player’s current season average (straight out of DT website)

30%

Player’s average against opponent over this season and last (injury/sub-affected scores omitted).

25%

Player’s average at the venue over this season and last (injury/sub-affected scores omitted).

=

$375,200

ADE

RIC

NME

MEL

The verdict

If you don’t have Lids, it’s pretty safe to say that you’re the dream team coach equivalent of Jack Anthony and won’t be anywhere near finals, let alone literate and reading this, so we’ll skip him. Carrazzo’s going to smash the last four games and Scotland won’t be far behind so they should be locks if you can afford them. It looks like anyone who held on to Waters might just be a genius (especially given his GF projection), as long as he gets himself back soon. For those of you who traded him, I hope it was to Birch who looks like a solid alternative. The most interesting finding of the analysis might be Jack Grimes, who is projected to be the seventh best defender during finals and should also provide a reasonable point of difference – definitely one to consider. There shouldn’t be too much separating Enright and Suckling, but each finishes season with a tricky match so I might even be inclined to stay away. Finally, if you’ve cemented a top 4 position and are confident you’ll win your qualifying final, Heath Shaw or HepD might be smokies as they should get better the deeper into finals you progress. I don’t think anyone else in this group is a viable option, least of all the Fremantle duo who will be too busy being sh*t to win you your league.

Midfielders to follow.

All the best,

Emma Gemma Jnr.

1. Havacrack

July 17, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Very insightful. Will follow closely during the Finals to see how accurate your projections are. Thanks.

2. EmGem

July 17, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Woops, this needs to be updated. Warnie will come through I’m sure.

Warnie

July 17, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Updated.

• EmGem

July 17, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Cheers mate, sorry again!

• redvest

July 17, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Thanks for the article – great reading !

3. Brodie94

July 17, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Pfft venues weighted at 25 and average this year only weighted 45….. I’d expect a poor article from a biased West Coast supporter

• EmGem

July 17, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I support Gold Coast. It’s in my RSVP profile.

• Brodie94

July 17, 2012 at 2:27 pm

That makes sense.. changed from wce to gold coast after WC got the wooden spoon and GC entered

• Luke

July 17, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Sounds like an unfortunate dockers supporter.

• Scotty

July 17, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Still the point about weightings holds, why would you do that? Do you have any stats on standard deviation by player across venues over time? I bet it would be huge. Weighting that much by venue is as valid as a Luke Shuey high tackle.

• SnowyCasanova

July 17, 2012 at 2:51 pm

You’re a deadset flog. Thanks for the insightful and well thought out article Em Gem.

• Antipasto

July 17, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Dear Internet,

This is why you shouldn’t exist.

Dear Brodie,

You would have been more valuable as a protein shot.

Interesting article Emma, but as per almost every ‘predictor’, it is pretty much mathematically redundant. Far too many variables and unpredictable circumstances. But good on you for having a crack and getting people to think about who they could possibly look at with luxury trades come finals time, it’s a far better read than any of the ‘Comments’ sections on the DT Talk site.

• Kiwiii

July 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm

adding a number to the end of a name reminds me of the hotmail days when I was 15

• Ridley U

July 17, 2012 at 3:25 pm

You are a complete wank Brodie! Average at venue is a very relevant stat. If you don’t understand this point then maybe you shouldn’t post. The AFL use different sized grounds.

Don’t listen to idiots Emma! I like the thought process you have used here. Awesome work. I will definitely be checking the scores through the league finals. It will be interesting to see if your equations are close to the mark.

If people don’t like an article then fair enough. Why they feel the need to post crap is beyond me…..

• Gazinator

July 17, 2012 at 9:43 pm

This is why it would be awesome if our DTT accounts were linked to our DT accounts. That way any posts made would show your ranking and therefore its relevancy…

• Brodie94

July 18, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Ridley thinks he’s all hard cos he was ranked high at the start of the year… his annoying posts have declined as his ranking has done the same. I wish we did have our accs linked to this sight cos then u would see how much better my team and ranking is than urs. I have a whole team of premiums including a DPP link so Adam Goodes is my 7th Mid and 8th Fwd, I was also ranked 23rd earlier in the year so my input is a lot more valuable than alot of others on the sight.

And yes maybe my reply was rude but no Freo supporter wants to log on to the sight to read an article hating on them, and ignoring players like Michael Johnson bcos he is a Freo player is just plain bias and stupid

4. Luke

July 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm

M Johnson projections 76 , 69 , 66 , 66

Considering he has scored 90+ in 9 of his 15 games (60%) I think he may score better than these projections. It does show how much he has improved this yr tho.

5. ExportQuality

July 17, 2012 at 2:37 pm

“i.e Freo, who have been consistently sh*t since 1995 and should just fold”

Well said! Cheers for the stats.

• Scotty

July 17, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Yep, plus if you have Smedtz he serves as fwd – def which is good for injury cover. MJ has been pretty good this year. His playing is still at times cringeworthy but he permenantly plays loose across half back now which is a great DT pos.

• IanB

July 17, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I have Smedts too but no matching fwd/mid and he stays in only because some other defender(s) are out when I want to trade him. He’s been something between a last-ditch choice and a playing donut for me. I seem to be so often trying to patch up def instead of building it up!

6. Charlie Sheens DT

July 17, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Interesting article – thanks for provoking neural activity.

Hmm – two years of data, may this bias Lake’s projections downwards? Not that he had a great weekend…

I’d also be interested to see which teams are more likely to rest players than others i.e. – which teams are firmly entrenched in the top 4/8. I expect this will be hard to analyse this year – although no doubt the HAW v GCS game will ruin many a finals campaign…

Thanks

7. Rambo Tambo

July 17, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Pretty sure the last 3 will be better than that

8. Justin

July 17, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Taking cheap shots at other teams has no place in DT articles imo. Take it to BigFooty.

• Kiwiii

July 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm

banter is as much a part of footy as DT so suck it up freo boy.

• Justin

July 17, 2012 at 11:00 pm

lol not even a freo boy. Best not to make assumptions buddy.

• scooter777

July 17, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Michael Johnson

$375,200

the best example why these things never work, having a career best year in terms of DT playing a completely different role and will score differently in accordance.

9. MickyC

July 17, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Might be a little off as you take out player’s (injury + sub) scores when considering their form versus opposition and at venues but neglect to take them out in their season averages.

The major outsider being Courtney Dempsey (8th highest priced DEF) as he was injured round 3 for a score of 10 and started sub in round 6 in his come back playing 1.5 quarters for a 62. If you take those out he is actually averaging 86.5 which is 0.1 points/game less than Matt Suckling who from memory (but could be wrong) has not been subbed or injured this year.

10. Zan

July 17, 2012 at 3:42 pm

RIP DT 2012 :(

• MrCharisma

July 17, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Here here Zan =(

• Charlie Sheens DT

July 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm

RIP Team Punishment. Sheedy’s taking over

• Zan

July 18, 2012 at 9:43 am

lol :)

11. WhatEverMingas

July 17, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Emma Gemma, god bless you for this amazing article and your accurate depiction of the Fremantle F.C. I think they should spend less time tanning and more time training.

12. Nix

July 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Thanks for this EmGem,

Looks OK to me – as valid as any other systematic projections out there.

However, to be honest, you had me as soon as you suggested Broughton is going to get anything above 50. I’ll buy whatever you’re selling!

Looking forward to other categories.

13. IanB

July 17, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Interesting way to make numbers and to look for something new. Did you test your model over, say, the past round or two?

I think Assistant takes running averages more into account than this model but it shows an interesting number that also shows in your model – no Crows. Adelaide has a far easier draw into DT finals than most teams but their defenders score DT crap.

I also don’t know how you factor in wierd stuff such as how coaches can confuse players with constantly changing roles that turn their form, confidence and DT scores into mush (Lyon/Broughton?)..

I think the biggest factors in choosing are GL and GI factors – good luck and gut instinct – and you can’t model those. Still, you’ve done some good work that shows interesting things so thank you!

14. Slappers

Slappers

July 17, 2012 at 4:07 pm

gees by this i should upgrade lake and adcock…

i only have 3 trades… dont see how this is going to work….

FMDT

15. scooter777

July 17, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Hey emgem how are gold coast going this year, yeah thats right shit, freo on the other hand, still in the hunt, cheers

• Antipasto

July 17, 2012 at 4:23 pm

The only thing they’re in the hunt for is a decent playing list. They’ll be very active at trade time because they know they’ve ‘done a freo’ with their list and got nowhere. Again. They’ll pull off a few trades for players who will attempt to bolster the team, but realistically will go nowhere. I think taking history into account, that is the most accurate ‘projection’ for Freo.

• Kiwiii

July 17, 2012 at 5:01 pm

If you’re a freo supporter change your name from Scooter because you are disgracing the real Scooter.

Cheers to you.

16. i still believe in you gumbleton

July 17, 2012 at 4:27 pm

whats c dempseys outlook like? or do you think he should be traded. apart from this week has been very very solid as a starting mid pricer and point of difference player

• Antipasto

July 17, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Awesome name. You must be his mother

17. Jerome

July 17, 2012 at 5:12 pm

If freo get cloke (hope they dont) then they are not gonna let him play cos examples are many but one that pops out to me is jack anthony

• R2-DT

July 17, 2012 at 6:11 pm

They wont want him after this season

• Hoon

July 17, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Usually a player’s form turns to poop after moving to Freo. Clokes just saving time.

18. Pavalinco

July 17, 2012 at 6:57 pm

You should fold…..

Yes we have never won a premership but I’m pretty sure we have been more succussful than a lot of team over the past 15 years……Richmond being one of them.

• Antipasto

July 17, 2012 at 7:02 pm

“We are slightly less shit than other extremely shit teams”

That’s something to hang your hat on

• Antipasto

July 17, 2012 at 7:13 pm

And for the record, over the last 15 years Freo have finished on average 11.07th in the competition, Richmond have finished 11.8th

Take into account the full 17 year history of the Dockers (obviously excluding this year) and those numbers are reverse with Freo 11.29th, Richmond 11.12th.

Hardly a success story.

19. Noodles71

July 17, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Not sure about this decision but I need one of Hanley,Grimes,Shaw, Heppell,Enright or Johnson.

Any tips?

• Reprobates

July 17, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Shaw..is a nut case, your risk..as it always is

• Graham

July 18, 2012 at 12:11 am

Shaw

20. Willow

July 20, 2012 at 10:15 am

I don’t comment much but to Brodie94TheRude.

You clearly have some serious issues. Your biased towards Fremantle and M. Johnson – and this (in your own opinion) makes YOU plain stupid. Also you say Ridley’s posts are annoying yet have you ever re-read yours?? Finally the “sight” of your name on this “site” makes me sick “bcos ur” only input is negative.