DT TALK

Dream Team Medical Room: Round 11

We are very lucky to have a physio on board to bring us a weekly injury update and a professional opinion on expected lay offs of some of our AFL Dream Team players. If you’ve got a question, chuck it in the comments and Jakub will hopefully get to you. Welcome on board the DT Talk team!

Coming into the bye rounds the last thing coaches need is for players to go down with injury or suspension. In a perfect world after the last 10 weeks of careful research and planning all of your teams would be perfectly balanced, all the byes would be covered, all of your bench players would be playing and with some crafty mouse play you would all be going light on the frosted cinnamon donuts. Now when you initially selected you teams and when you made those all important premium up-grades, every one knew that it was these players who would be expected carry your depleted teams over the up-coming difficult period. Well at least that’s what you thought, right? With all the chaos of late and with so many of our beloved leaders going down. What do can be done going into the next three weeks to minimize the damage?

I’m not pointing the finger at anyone in particular here, but Collingwood football club what are you trying to prove? It was bad enough with Swan out, then Shaw and his dodgy calf popped-up again (don’t think to much into this I think him missing last week was a calculated rest) and now Pendlebury has broken his leg!  No it was not a Barlow like break, but the facts are that his Tibia is broken! No matter how small the break (or crack) is, as this is the main weight bearing bone in the lower leg there is no way he will be back before round 14 and even that is at a stretch. Collingwood will more then err on the side of caution with all of the above three so I wouldn’t rule out Shaw / Swan having another rest this week with the bye looming in round 12.

Next is Carlton football club and honestly they are not much better…With Murphy and Carrazzo joining the shoulder club, Kruezer struck down with the ruck curse and now Scotland looking at 3-4 weeks with a mysterious calf injury times are really looking grim at the blues. Scotlands 3-4 weeks Injury indicates a significant amount of damage, but as he played out the game on the weekend I would not be surprised to see him back sooner rather then later. There are others of course that will add woes to the next three weeks. Heppell and his knee, test? you say? Having already missed 2 and with a free weeks rest only one week away smart money says he will be back round 13.  Enrights shoulder is available for this weekends game, but will he be? and is Mumfords back playing up again? More will be reveled come teams on Thursday afternoon.

With the other notable fallen soldiers of the past Goodes, Fyfe, Fisher, HMac, Luey, McEvoy (curse), Hodge, etc. and those clever enough to get suspended Waters and Lewis. Coaches will have some tough decisions to make over the upcoming day / weeks. Personally I think that you should go into the byes with the same game plan as pre-injury/suspension as trying to cover even more holes will surely see coaches running out of trade. In saying this however I think that it will be the coaches who are aggressive during the bye period and then hit a lucky injury-free streak in the seconds half of the year, who will be playing for the car.

Jakub Chudy BSc (ExHSc), BSc (Physio)

For all you Perth, Physiotherapy needs contact Jakub@mtpp.com.au or call (08) 9315 3855.  Bookings with Jakub.

Below is the official injuries list for round 11, 2012.

ADELAIDE

Lindsay Thomas (soreness) available
Kieran Harper (leg) TBA

PORT ADELAIDE

Travis Boak (foot) 3-4 weeks
Jay Schulz (ribs) test
Robbie Gray (knee) season
John McCarthy (late withdrawal)

Cameron Hitchcock (hamstring) test

Jason Johannisen (knee) 2 weeks
Jason Tutt (knee) 3 weeks
Tom Williams (shoulder) 4 weeks
Dale Morris (leg) indefini

1. Chooka

June 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Should I Trade Scotland!!!!????????

Going for League win so need my trades

2. Benny

June 6, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Is Pendles really out for 3-4 weeks? Damn, I thought he’d only miss the one…..

• Benny

June 6, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Ahhh ok, I actually decided to go back and read the article like a normal person, and you think he’ll be out for 3-4 weeks. Seems like a reasonable summation – trade time!

• Genghis Khan

June 6, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Benny mate I wouldn’t be trading because…
        -He played basically a full half of footy with it and racked up 17 possies
        -He said on Monday before the scans he felt no pain and he had no limp either
        -He said he felt right to play this week against Melbourne
        -It is more of hairline fracture (fairly insignificant) eg. Luke Parker sustained one with his Jaw round one and didnt miss a game
        -The general consensus from the Collingwood camp is that it is minor and he will be back round 13 against the eagles

For these reasons (and more) I will be holding the lad…

• Benny

June 6, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Hmmmm, another good prognosis… Decisions!

• Stuie

June 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Quoting J-Brown – He doesn’t run on his face. Not the brightest comparison there Ghengis.

I’m gonna back my own judgement as I did with Fyfe as everyone else should and be realistic, its a break(crack, whatever) in a major supportive structure!

• Genghis Khan

June 6, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Its just an observation ‘Stuie’.
            The main fact is he played out a half of footy (and played well) and felt as though he couldve played out the game (saying it was precautionary getting subbed).
            He will miss this week then Collingwood have the bye. So he will have 2 weeks off, miss one game and be back against the Eagles is my (highly educated) guess.
            Make of this what you will…

• Dylan

June 6, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I am holding also

• Stuie

June 6, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I hear you, but I can’t see Collingwood risking a major injury for short term gain on their marquee player. This line of thinking helped me avoid a Fyfe disaster while many an ‘educated opinion’ were backing him in. I think he’ll find himself in cotton wool a while longer. My two cents

• Genghis Khan

June 6, 2012 at 5:04 pm

It’s quite different to Fyfe injury wise but up to you.
          Just saying i reckon he’ll play round 13 and I’m generally right being the great GK!

• The x Factor

June 6, 2012 at 5:19 pm

the way I see it is that with the medical staff being ‘optimistic’ playing rnd 13 is promising.

It doesn’t even say anywhere yet hes likely to miss. collingwood will want to protect their star leaving him out rnd 13 ready for rnd 14.

I see this as two matches, the same amount as I have already kept ablett and swan for.

I say keep.

• Nimrod

June 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Benny I’m in the same boat and would rather save a trade, but the main thing here is that Jakub has said it’s his tibia, which is the main load bearing bone in the lower leg.

If it was a cracked fibula, which is the smaller peripheral bone right next to the tibia, I’d be on board with Scott in that he’ll be out for only a week.

The problem with these small fractures on a bone like the tibia is that they seem inocuous to begin, he may very well have no pain, but if he begins his running too early or has too high a volume of running too early it can quickly deteriorate into something far worse.

I have a feeling that Scotty is going to be his own worst enemy with this and I have a really bad feeling that even if he does only miss the one week that he will have more trouble as the season progresses.

• Jesse

June 6, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I have absolutely no belief that this is an accurate source, the Collingwood website has listed Pendles as 2 weeks. He played a half of footy on his cracked tibia, so it clearly isn’t too serious. I’m keeping him.

3. R2-DT

June 6, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Hmmm nice diagnosis.

You may be right about Swan missing this week, however I believe Collingwood will want their Brownlow holder fit and moving and I also bet Swan is dying to have a game. That and Melbourne are coming off a “large” win and need him… ;)

I have Scotland and will not be trading him this week. This is because the next best person I can get is Suckling and I’d rather have Waters so I will wait until R13. Plus both my opponents for R11,12 have him and I think they will hold also. If Scotland looks like returning around then I’ll just upgrade Bugg to Waters,

I only have one place left in the Midfield and was saving it for either Pendlebury or Stanton, Pendles’ injury has only pushed me further towards Stanton at this stage.

I have 14 trades remaining and only see myself making 3 trades tops over the next 3 rounds, I want Stevie J after R12.

• Dylan

June 6, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I will bench Scotland this week as well, I just can’t find a trade I like for him.

4. Donk

June 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Where does this injury list come from? The injury list on sportal has Enright down as a test for a foot injury, rather than a shoulder injury!

• Donk

June 6, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Oh and Swan listed as available, Shaw test.

• JakubDT

June 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm

The injury list is from the Herald Sun / AFL.com.au

• Zoom

June 6, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Just check club website for ‘injury updates’

Swan available, shaw test Pendles 2 weeks but add the bye

• Donk

June 6, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I’m pretty sure two weeks is two weeks, they don’t put two games. They usually put how many weeks before they return, not how many weeks in the sense of how many games they will miss.

• Jesse

June 6, 2012 at 10:26 pm

5. Aidan

June 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Should I trade Pendlebury and/or Kreuzer. Currantly have gone Kreuzer to Redden but are VERY short on trades, started with a SHIT bench so have 10 trades left plus whatever trades I use this week. Currently have gone Smedts, Kreuzer and Devon Smith to Nathan Brown, Redden and Travis Cloke

• Daz

June 6, 2012 at 1:53 pm

nathan brown? not sure i like ANYof those trades mate….

• Genghis Khan

June 6, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Dont like any of those trades mate….

• JakubDT

June 6, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Wait on Kreuzer last minute hamstring tightness could / most probably is precautionary.

6. scottiemc

June 6, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Sam Rowe – Testicular Cancer…….All the best mate.

• Daz

June 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm

• BOOMER

June 6, 2012 at 2:57 pm

7. Mezzoculo

June 6, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Carlton injury list is a little out of date…

Should be (from the CFC website):

2 weeks

Simon White
    Knee
    8 weeks

• Big Feller

June 6, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Carrots will definitely be coming into my team after a game or two back from injury!

• FMDT

June 6, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I’ve had him on bench since the week he got injured!!!

8. Mezzoculo

June 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm

The Blues’ injury list has been updated since this post. It may pay to check the other teams too…

9. JimmyBob

June 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm

cheers for the insught Jakub, i reckon you’re on the money.

im also expecting a rest for one J Selwood, after he played out the game after a knee/groin tweak in Q1 against the giants. geelong could jump at the chance of giving him two weeks off instead of just jabbing away.

thoguhts?

• JakubDT

June 6, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I think that he will be ok and play. If it was anything too serious then he would have come off.

10. Genghis Khan

June 6, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Good Write up mate!
    But i think it looks quite pessimistic to be honest…
    Eg Swan has been listed as available this week and I would say he will play, Pendles is more of hairline fracture, word out he pies camp is it is minor and he’s listed as 2 weeks and James Hird has said that Heppell will play this week…

Warnie

June 6, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I think Swan will play. He must have been close last week as he wasn’t ‘looking after his hammy’ in Launceston last weekend… on the piss at the pub.

• BOOMER

June 6, 2012 at 2:39 pm

+1 Swanny should play, especially with pendles out.

• adzman

June 6, 2012 at 2:50 pm

drinking to fix the hammy pain?

• BOOMER

June 6, 2012 at 2:55 pm

LOL ;)

• Donk

June 6, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Hep Hep Hooray!

Pretty sure Collingwood came out on Monday and said Swan will play.

11. BOOMER

June 6, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I have a question regarding rookie elevations mid year. What round will North be able to elevate Sam Gibson?

• Donk

June 6, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I believe it is after round 11.

12. RJforBrownlow

June 6, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I have both Scotland and Pendles and can’t really decide what to do with either, im sitting on 12 trades and will win my league match easily this week does anyone have advice?

• buckets

June 6, 2012 at 3:12 pm

i’ve got the same deal

on monday i was looking at Scotland -> Birchall and Pendles -> Watson
      Then yesterday it was just the Scotland trade
      Then today it’s none and enjoy some (more) donuts in Rnd 11. RNd 11 leagues are looking like wins either way.

With only 12 trades left, I may just hold them and see what happens.

If the Horse isn’t named, might have to get rid of them though

• Shags

June 6, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I would keep Pendles and Trade Scotland.

13. Justin

June 6, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Who is this tosser? I don’t care if you’re a physio, unless you have access to scan results and have intimate knowledge of the player you have no clue. Your basically guessing just like Dr Larkins. The facts are not even Collingwood know how long Pendles is out for yet. They’re hoping for rd 13 but who knows. Swan and Heppell are already confirmed to play. Enrights problem is his foot not shoulder. Mumford played on the weekend. And this notion that Collingwood will rest players is rubbish. With Pendles out we need all hands on deck against an opponent that always give us trouble. /rant

• OXnFOX

June 6, 2012 at 3:50 pm

OMFG dude…….oops – its troll feeding time….

• cookiemon72

June 6, 2012 at 4:26 pm

How do you know he is a tosser? Do you have intimate knowledge of this?

• davejferg

June 6, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Little rude but he has a point….

• the sandgroper

June 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm

As with most of the information given on DTtalk, I only use it as a rough guide for the formation of my side. At least this bloke is offering a semi- informed opinon (he probably has more idea than 80% using this site) using the information garnered from a trusted (?) source. What have you given to DTtalk apart from a wild rant that will no doubt leave many people with the opinon that you are indeed the real tosser.

• JakubDT

June 6, 2012 at 5:27 pm

• SettingTheBarlow

June 6, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Is Jakub said like Jacob?

• JakubDT

June 7, 2012 at 3:47 pm

• The x Factor

June 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

don’t need to go over the top justin bud.

I understand some points are interesting and is his pov.

but thats the idea on this site.giving a pov!

but I agree there are a few assumuptions being made here….

• Antipasto

June 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Updatey injury list for DT Talk

Justin (4 weeks) – vaginal sand

• Antipasto

June 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Updatey. A close relative of updated.

• Gazinator

June 6, 2012 at 6:23 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No apology for capitals. That was f**king funny.

14. jaypick2

June 6, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I have scotland but dont have deledio a straight swap would b perfect but im 5k short donnu wat to do im stil in eliminatot so want a strong team this week only 12 trades left

15. Gazinator

June 6, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Oh no!

Levi Casboult (knee) 4 weeks

• Albert Lloyd

June 6, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Geez that hurts.

Tom Mitchell in for Horsley if he is named this week.

I think.

• Megatron

June 6, 2012 at 3:52 pm

16. jake

June 6, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Can someone make me a trophy that reads “unluckiest DTer”

Started with goodes, fyfe, carrots, hmac, mcevoy and ablett.

Have had to trade all (waste of 6 trades) but then listen to this

Traded ablett to swan
    Traded swan to murphy
    Trade murphy to pendles
    KEEPING PENDLES!!! That way i cant go wrong, which otherwise i inevitably would

• Gazinator

June 6, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I weep for you!

• RJforBrownlow

June 6, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Swan got injured after Murphy so that trade is just inexcusable…

17. mfawcett

June 6, 2012 at 4:15 pm

From what I’ve been reading in the papers Collingwood have been saying that they are lucky to be able to bring Swan back in this week to cover the loss of Pendlebury and it’ll just be a straight swap. From all I’ve read, Swan will be playing this weekend?

• Genghis Khan

June 6, 2012 at 4:22 pm

As i said 2 weeks ago SWAN will play this week against Melbourne…

• mfawcett

June 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

+1. Completely agree with you Genghis. Don’t know where DT Tall is getting his info from because everything points towards him playing.

18. cookiemon72

June 6, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Swan available and probs no Heater this week – Darren Jolly SEN

19. Gurn

June 6, 2012 at 4:41 pm

brandon matera injured his foot in round 5 and was only supposed to be out for 1-2 weeks, its been 6 weeks now and really starting to annoy me on the bench! any info?

• Genghis Khan

June 6, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Probably justice for picking him in the first place really…

20. JungleMuffin

June 6, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Big mistake putting your phone number on a DT article. I’m about to spam the f**k out of your phone.

• the sandgroper

June 6, 2012 at 5:00 pm

why would you want to put a precooked meat product into his phone ?

• JungleMuffin

June 6, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I know you can’t hear me, but I’m laughing out loud right now.

Honest.

21. davejferg

June 6, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Radio (SEN) said Heppel and Swan are likely to play this week. Heppel was more than likely. Swan would have played last week if the game mattered. Pendles will be 2 weeks, I bet too he would play this week if it were a grand final.

22. Shags

June 6, 2012 at 5:02 pm

You forgot to mention that in the same SEN interview with Jolly that he said Shaw was unlikely to play

23. joseph

June 6, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Collingwood are playing Melbourne on Monday, so maybe Pendlebury could be a late inclusion.

• Aidan

June 6, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Possibly and hopefully but I doubt he will

24. sam

June 6, 2012 at 5:49 pm

guys i need some help aha
    my team consists of
    deledio, goddard, broughton, waters, hargrave, bugg, geary, darley,
    mid: boyd, pendles, watson, ebert, ziebell, horse, shiel, mcdonald
    ruck:maric, giles, big o, redden
    fwd: sidey, chapman, franlin, robinson, lewis, danger, zorko, smith, painewhat do i do!!??? im looking at 9 donuts wtf! i have 90k in the bank. plz help

• Shags

June 6, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Not much you can do about it this week you will simply move zeros to another week. Consider trading pendles. I wouldnt tho.

25. joseph

June 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm

geez my mids are good this week, Ablett, Barlow, magner, Horsely…..

• sam

June 6, 2012 at 6:53 pm

hahaha mutual pain mate

26. MC

June 6, 2012 at 7:04 pm

So got a question. Everyone has written off Christensen of playing this week. Is there any prrof or evidence. Sorry if I have been under a rock, but when/where did he sustain his new injury. Im sick of looking at him on my bench when I could have got Chappy but skimped on cash along time ago.

Warnie

June 6, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Club said they will be cautious with him (ie. not play this week).

• MC

June 6, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Cheers mate, yeh that sounds just about right. Just going to call it now, but he has been one of the biggest let downs for me in 2012.

27. Jesse

June 6, 2012 at 10:16 pm

every internet source is suggesting that pendles will be back straight after the bye..

28. Rhino

June 6, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Who should i trade in for Scotland:

I was thinking maybe:
    Heath Shaw
    Greg Broughton
    Jed Adcock
    Corey Enright

Can’t afforrd to keep him and have the extra doughnut over the byes….

Thanks, your thoughts would be appreciated..

29. Troy

June 7, 2012 at 11:35 am

with regard to Pendles leg, let me give you the benefit of my experience. I had a broken fibula bone and a cracked Tibia at the same time, and i can tell you all that the cracked tibia meant almost nothing. No pain, no instability, just a tiny crack, nothing that a 1-2 week lay off won’t fix.
    My tip, HOLD ON, pendles won’t be out long at all.

30. Rodney O'Brien

June 7, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Brandon Matera was BOG in the reserves last week.
    Also Dawson Simpson has been back two games having 21 touches and 34 hit outs in the last VFL game.