DT TALK

Good Trade, Bad Trade: Rd 10

It’s the calm before the storm and a lot of coaches are holding off on trades this week… is it due to the multi-bye rounds or is it because the cookie jar is empty? Jim brings you Good Trade, Bad Trade to get your trade talk on for this week.

Well hello! Round 9 brought us a solid yet unspectacular round of DT scoring, with many popular premiums not living up to their premium price and our fattened cows deciding to spill some of their recent plumpness with disappointing scores in the 50’s. If this wasn’t frustrating enough, trying to find a cow with a decent job security? well I think were scraping the bottom of the barrel at the moment. Add this to the multi byes and a big FMDT comes to mind. But I’m pretty sure it’s why we love this game.

Hello dear, my name is Miriam

Well hello Miriam how are you? Miriam is a lovely lady who has been messaging some of the DT members showing some interest in their profile, and asking them to email her and she will intern send you some pictures of her.  While this could sound enticing to the untrained eye we all know that this is the ultimate troll and ultimately will deliver empty promises, while felling lighter in my hip pocket. Miriam reminds me of two different type of people 1. The shemale who went into the big brother house and 2. Sam Darley. Darley is one of the few cows on the bubble this week, he’s looking pretty attractive with his b/e of -38 and his quarter of 42 points against the bombers. But there is that feeling deep down inside of us that we all know he isn’t the real deal, more just a flash in the pan who we will be cursing every name under the sun in rd 16 when he is sitting there on our defender bench, having made us $32k with his chances of getting a game about as likely as Miriam actually sending us photos (imagine if she did, and it WAS the shemale??) DT Talk regular @RLGriffen has previously voiced his concerns over Darley’s job security at the giants, and considering he took until rd 8 to get a game, I think he’s onto something. Darley may be a good short term resolution in the backline, but may not provide you with a bench option later in the season when all our guns started to get rested and were running a bit short of trades. Like our friend Lee Spurr 2 weeks ago, he may become bench fodder in the following weeks, being available when you need him the least.

The calm before the storm

This week appears to be very quiet on the trade front . According to Assistant Coach,  DTer’s are holding fire on the trades this week with the most popular trade this week being Bugg to Darley, but only accounts for 2% of trades. Worryingly, our main man from last week, superhero Dayne Zorko is the most traded player in this week  (7.38%). Obviously by people who don’t frequent this website. Due to the unforseen carnage that has been the last 9 weeks people are protecting their trades for the hurricane that is the multi bye rounds. DT Guns like Swan and Heppell may not be seen until round 13 in which by that time the hurricane has sucked you up and spat you out, and you’re lying helplessly on the ground with no light at the end of the tunnel, similar to Andreas Everitt.

Back to the polls

Last week, I asked all you lovely people how many trades you plan on using during the bye rounds. The majority of people reported that they plan to use between 1-6 trades for the three rounds, which in my opinion, sounds about right. In the pre season, the widely accepted theory was, that the minimum amount of donuts you could get away with through the MBRs would be 2, but that would need you to use all 9 trades.  Doing some of my own handy spreadsheet work the other week, I figured out that I would cop 6 donuts for the MBR’s ( and most of them would be in rd 11, but I’m not worried, I have $hit opponents and I believe I will still win)  , but only use 3 trades. These trades would  be part of my normal upgrade/downgrade strategy of making my team better (eg trading Conca to a rd 11 or 12 premium in rd 13). It seems the general consensus now is to cop whatever the MBR’s throw at us and only trade when we have to (normal DT circumstances, eg LTI). After all there is another 10 rounds of carnage after the MBR’s. Short term bandaid solutions during these rounds could end up crippling your team in the long run. Now is the time for patience.you don’t want to have nightmares of shemales like Miriam now do you?

So what trades do you have in mind this week? Can you convince us that cows Sam Darley or Josh Bootsma are worth trading in for? What are your plans for the MBRs? let us know in the comments!

Follow me on @jimbobholder in the twitterverse!

PS: For some crazy reason, I can see Tom couch getting picked today, pumping out some solid scores and being on the bubble in rd 13. Mark Neeld will be forgiven and may even need an apology letter. Turns out that Neeld was just trying to help us out in DT when it mattered most.

1. Totto's Immortals

May 31, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Bugg to Darley has left me with 13 trades for the year & $289k in the bank… Is it worth it?

2. nathaniel

May 31, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Hi all
    I could really do with some opinions/help here fellas.
    My current situation is:

Deledio, Waters, God, Hargrave, Lake, Birchall, Clarke, (Bugg, Morris)

Boyd, Pendles, Watson, A Swallow, Horse, Old Mac, (Shiel, Zorko)

Maric, Giles, (McEvoy, J Redden)

Sidebum, Stevie J, Franklin, Danger, Zaha, Martin, D Smith, (Kennedy, Smedts)

13 trades, $490k in the kitty. Sitting first and second in my leagues. Dont care about bye rounds, just want the strongest team i can manufacture.

Im thinking Bugg – Darley and flirting with chopping the injured McEvoy for the Big O (as Im just about convinced of his JS now)

This scenario will leave me with $877k in hand and the means to finish my team.
    Next week: Clarke/Hargrave to Scotland, a fully fattened Devon Smith to Robbo/Beams
    Following week: 2 Mid Premo upgrades
    Leaving me with 7 trades for the rest of the season

• Shags

May 31, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I like it, bit unsure of your bye plan tho, I also think you should pull the trigger on Robo this week.

• nathaniel

May 31, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Dont have a bye plan mate

Even if i go 0-3 in the bye rounds I’ll still make the finals. Not worried about final standings, the last 2 years I’ve finished top of my league, then crashed and burned in the finals.
        A new approach this year. Hopefully a better result :-)

• Shags

May 31, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Robo is projected to rise about 10k D.smith is projected to rise about the same. You will get an extra week of robo’s score as well, hes playing port without Murphy playing, gws are playing Geelong. Get Robo in this week. ;-)

• nathaniel

May 31, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Good point Shags. That was my first reaction on sunday eve.
        But I keep seeing McEvoy on my bench eating up $400k and doing nothing (and he was shite before the LTI)
        Ive had my ruck combo from the start. Im obviously very happy with Maric, and Giles is good enough to keep as a starter I think.
        Im just thinking if I dont pull the trigger on McEvoy to Big O this week then I cough up another price rise from the Big O (which is a fair bit more than Robbos price rise)
        Having said that, your spot on about having Robbos score in my team for this week.
        Bugger!!

Cheers for your input mate

3. Howler82

May 31, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I’ve had Darley from the start .. was able to manage my way through with him on the bench until he finally got his break ..

anyway .. trades:

greene to couch
    a. hall to chapman

I can afford beams/johnson if I so desire …. BUT … I went with Chapman by comparing total games played per season over the last few years .. I can’t think – but what was the reason for Beams to only play 14 games last year? .. opportunities? one major injury? .. lots of niggling injuries? .. Johnson has played a similar no. of games to Chapman over the past 3 years .. but I went Chappy for consistency

Depending on the reason for Beams’ 14 games last year .. I may revert trades and still get him in..

cheers for any insight u can shed!

• Mateyman

May 31, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Beams had a 6 week (maybe more?) broken foot which kept him out

4. Rhino

May 31, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Here is my team at the moment:

B: Deledio, Goddard, Waters, Heppell, Birchall, Hargrave, Bugg (Morris, Tomlinson)

C: Ablett, Swan, Rockliff, JSelwood, Mitchell, Zorko (Horsley, C. Smith)

R: Cox, Giles (Stephenson, Redden)

F: Sidebottom, Dangerfield, Chapman, Franklin, Martin, Treloar, D.Smith (Milera, Smedts)

Trades Left: 16
    Cash: $65,100

Thinking of doing these trades this week:
    S. Morris to S. Darley
    T. Bugg to H. Scotland
    This will give me $46, 300 and 14 trades left.

What are your thoughts please give me your opinion…

• nathaniel

May 31, 2012 at 1:15 pm

hey Rhino

imo you should go Bugg to Darley this week
      next week go Morris to Scotland, as scotland will have bottemed out by then and Morris will rise in price again with the extra week

• Rhino

May 31, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Thanks for your opinion but the only problem with it is that morris has a breakeven of 70 and i dont think he has the ability to score that.

• nathaniel

May 31, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Good point mate. I forgot for a moment that morris is a spud :-)

He’s a keeper for me, I reckon he’s got about the best JS of any of the bench cover types (40 to 60 is better than the donut)

5. RJforBrownlow

May 31, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Hi guys,

What do people think about:

Bugg>Darley
    Magner>Swan

Any feedback is appreciated.

6. Nathan

May 31, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I traded out Jeremy Cameron who has been sitting on the bench for Tom Couch who will do the same thing till he finally gets a game. Trade number two was another benched player in Seb Tape being sacrificed for Corey Enright. These two trades were also tactical in that I had to reduce the donuts across the bye weeks. What do you reckon?

• bomber_tom

May 31, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I wanna know why you picked Tape.

7. col

May 31, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Is T.Cloke worth getting in with his huge price drop, he should find some form this weekend against goldy?

• johnnyr

May 31, 2012 at 3:13 pm

No, he’s out of form. Wait for him to have a good game first.. You won’t be losing that much $$ with his score from last week rolling around in his average

8. Nicholas

May 31, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Is it worth trading Buddy Franklin for the man of Steele?

Buddy can fire at any moment though Steele just seems to be more consistent…

• Sauce

May 31, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Buddy is a top seven forward, you must have someone else that needs upgrading first?

• Nicholas

May 31, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I could downgrade McIntosh to free up extra cash and swap Steele for N. Reiwoldt in a double trade or I have Martin that I could also trade for Steele

9. bomber_tom

May 31, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Hey guys, definitely going Bugg -> Darley

Should i downgrade Milera now and get Sexton ?

That gives me about 350K for trades next week, most likely Clarke to Heppell and Porps to Danger

Thoughts ?

• johnnyr

May 31, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I’d prefer to wait for a couch/mitchell/clifton to get a run rather than sexton. all other trades good though.

10. eeepo

May 31, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Another great read JB!

I hope you’re right about T.Couch getting picked to play.
    I did enjoy a little chuckle about the wording of it, “crazy feeling,” as I have a crazy feeling that Neeld is a nutcase for not playing him thusfar!

1 definate trade of McEvoy -> Pattison R/F to free up some cash for ant MBR upgrades.

Next week, Giles OUT, dpp Roughead to rucks, and in comes rnd 12/13 premo or rook?

After MBRs are over, hopefully Zorko is ripe for the picking, trade him out, Roughead back to forward line, and Sandi IN!

Then eventually, Big O down to 2nd $85K ruck for further cash injection, thus not having to trade down to rookies in other lines with suss JS!

Well, that’s the plan for now….here’s hoping!

11. TeamCatfish

May 31, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Whatdya reckon..?

Ranked top 6000, 11 trades left with 250k in the bank.

Traded out C Cornes for Champman and Porps out for J Roughead.

Leaves me with:

Deledeio, Waters, Goddard, Suckling, Broughton, Hargrave, Clarke E: Bugg Spurr

Boyd, Pendles, Sidebottom, Ebert, Mitchell, Horseley E: Treloar McDonald

Cox, Giles E: Redden Pattison

Robinson, Chapman, Franklin, Dangerfield, Zaharakis, Martin and Roughead E: Hall Zorko

I’m going for a league win, not overall.

Roughead allows me to cover the rucks if giles is ever rested, and chapman is just a gun!

Would only leave me Horsley to upgrade eventually (to Swan after round 12).

12. Furry Peaches

May 31, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Hey all,
    Love the site!
    First time poster and first year of DT, sitting about 5000 overall so pretty stoked, got a few questions and wanting some peoples opinions concerning how to finish off my team.

Current team is:
    13 trades (got hit by carrots, mumford and a few other plebs), $217k in the bank.

DEF:
    Lids, Scotland, Waters, Goddard, Broughton, Hargrave, Clarke (Bugg, Spurr)

MID:
    Boyd, Pendles, Ablett, Jelwood, Horsely, Coniglio (Zorko, D.Smith)

RUCK:
    McIntosh, Giles (Big O, Redden)

FWD:
    Sidebum, Robinson, Buddy, Chappy, Danger, Zaha, Treloar (Adams, A. Hall)

Thinking this week,

Bugg > Darley
    Conigs > Beams.

Leaves me w/ a completed fwd line, 11 trades and $211k, though i shudder at the sight of a Darley/spurr bench.
    Can afford to do this without the Bugg trade, though leaves me with $30k in the bank.

What are peoples opinions on a mid/def link?

Fiddling around with trades i came up with this as another option (and i know its a one shot and some won’t like it but…) :

Coniglio > Heppell (Considering he’s fit) – using Lids/Scotland/Goddard as the link.
    Bugg > Birchall
    Leaves me with a completed back line, 11 trades and $8k in the bank.

Other opinions are definitely welcome!

• Furry Peaches

May 31, 2012 at 3:48 pm

ps. sorry for the long post!

13. Josh

May 31, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Anyone considering bringing in Sexton for Hall? Saves up some cash and allows me to upgrade a player very soon, if need be.

• Michael

May 31, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Yeh was thinking of bringing in Sexton for the cash but am cautious of his JS though

14. sam

May 31, 2012 at 4:01 pm

guys i need some help,
    sam darley in for bugg and then upgrade ziebell to ablett or…?
    or option 2 is darley to bugg and ziebell or shiel for dal santo and then next week i will get gaz for the one i dont trade?or any other suggestions?

• TeamCatfish

May 31, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Bring in mitchell or del santo then get ablett in after his break. He will fall in price again this week.

• sam

May 31, 2012 at 4:59 pm

ok thanks alot mate, i think dal santo?

15. GreenReddenBlacks

May 31, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Got 15 trades left. Have Pearce underperforming the last couple of weeks and it has me worried.

Should I got Pearce >> Danger?

I only have a single shot at this, after this week Danger will go up and Pearce down, ideally I would’ve done this after Round 11 though.

• Turnernator

May 31, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I wouldnt trade pearce yet. His 42 in round 8 was unlucky as he got concussed and subbed off, meaning he has only really had one poor game – last week. I think he just had a shocker as did most of the fremantle team and he should be back scoring reasonably well soon. His numbers before round 8 were good

• Turnernator

May 31, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I wouldnt trade pearce just yet. His 42 in round 8 was unlucky as he got concussed and subbed off. And last week I think he just had a shocker as did most of the fremantle team. I think he should be back to some solid scores shortly. His numbers have been very good before round 8.

• GreenReddenBlacks

May 31, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Ok, I’ll hold my breath and dive into keeping him. Fingers crossed.

• Richdogg

May 31, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Yeah, I’m in the same boat as you with Pearce. My thoughts are to keep him. Still questioning myself why I picked him over Zaharakis and Pavlich but with 6 consequtive scores over 90, he should hopefully bounce back

16. dons2012

May 31, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Bugg> Waters
    P Davis> Broughton

Thoughts??????

• Birdy

May 31, 2012 at 5:10 pm

done and done, unless you get johnson instead of broughts though

• Fidel Ironfist

June 1, 2012 at 12:28 am

That was my train of thought … Johnson in for Bugg.

17. Birdy

May 31, 2012 at 5:09 pm

tempted to ditch clay smith for darley bring in dids to middle temporarily
    and ditch hall for sexton

want to get rid of the dead weight but it could potentially just make more dead weight in a week or two

Thoughts??

18. ablettisagun

May 31, 2012 at 6:25 pm

magner > daisy thomas

adams > chapman or stevie j. thoughts?

19. jb

May 31, 2012 at 6:49 pm

DEF:
    Lids, Shaw, Waters, Suckling, Clarke, Bugg, Hunt (Townsend, Wilkes)

MID:
    Boyd, Pendles, Ablett, Watson, Horsely, Stanton (Coniglio, Magner)

RUCK:
    Cox, Giles (Big O, Kreuzer)

FWD:
    Sidearse, Robo, Buddy, Stevie J, Pearce, Zorko, Treloar (Pfeiffer, A. Hall)

330k in bank in readiness for MBR

Hunt – Heppel or Johnson
    Magner – Danger (sub in to FWD for pfeif/zork/trelor to cover byes)
    Hall – couch (fingers crossed neeld comes through and couch plays round 13

20. hatters

May 31, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Porps – Cloke ?
    Backing Cloke to come good at some stage and with next 2 games being Gold Coast and Melbourne now could be the time. Cloke playing shit is still ave. 74 while Porps is ave 71 and i can’t see that
    improving much. Would only cost 30,000 to swap them.
    Risky i know but that’s life as a DT Coach !

• mcbain

May 31, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I’ve been contemplating getting Cloke in – as crazy as it sounds…

Tempted to do

Smith/porp – Cloke

Bugg – Scotland

21. Joseph

May 31, 2012 at 9:27 pm

This wk i traded…
    OUT Devon Smith and Karmichael Hunt
    IN Dayne Zorko and Michael Johnson
    Thoughts? comments?

• Adam

June 1, 2012 at 3:44 pm

shoulda got zorko in last wk but yee better bit late then never. Johnson a little inconcistent but overall should be ok

22. pickle ticklers

June 1, 2012 at 10:13 am

gibbs to chapman and malckeski to waters are thesse good trades?

• Adam

June 1, 2012 at 3:43 pm

gibbs may come gd now that murphy is out…if uve alrdy got him id prob hold on him. malckeski to waters isnt too bad