DT TALK

The Sunday evening knee-jerk. Round 9 edition.

Another round over.. another round closer to the byes. How did you go? good round or bad round? lets knee-jerk.

The Sunday evening knee-jerk. Round 9 edition.

Remember when the Millennium Falcon was flying towards the Death Star? Han thought it was just a small moon. It looked harmless until they got caught in its tractor beam and realised it was a space station full of evil. I reckon that’s how the byes have been. Early on in the piece we all thought it would be easy to negotiate, harmless!… but as we get closer and closer we can see how deadly it is going to be. We are caught in its tractor beam and there’s no way out… like it or lump it the byes are coming… are you ready to fight? Or will you just slink it and hide in the smuggling compartments til it’s over. I guess we still have a few weeks til then so we will just try to focus on this week for the moment. It was an OK week, not too much carnage but not many huge scores either,  how did you go… good or bad?… Anything to knee jerk about?  Let’s do it.

The Legend.

On Friday night Stevie j (148) had one of his party trick nights like only he can but he dosent make it as legend this week. This weeks legend has been bubbling along nicely all year but not getting much attention. I’ll start by saying pre-season, all we heard out of Carlton was Bryce Gibbs (111) this, Brice Gibbs that, superstar, breakout ect ect. At the same time this weeks legend Brett Deledio (141) had pulled his hammy and was making his way out of sides by the second. Fast forward to now and Gibbs has an average around 85 while Deledio has an average over 115 only dipping under the 100 once. Being a defender makes him doubly gold! For mine Lids is almost the complete player… can get the ball inside and out, great disposal, great overhead and can take a hit. He has become DT must have and now has a knee-jerk legend award to add to his pool room. Of the two number one draft picks i know who i prefer.

p.s i’d love to have Shane Tuck (152) as a legend but i just dont trust that ear blu tack.

The Sunday chop.

Where to start! I have put my squad on notice, they all now know that as soon as the byes hit nobody is safe. If you are sh*tting me you will go. Top of the list at the moment is Sam Jacobs (48) I picked him because he was Adelaide’s lone ruck man, and had shown great form late last year… i gave him the benefit of the doubt despite the red hair. But now as a stroke of bad luck Josh Jenkins (57) has forced his way into the side and halved Jacobs scoring! What complicates matters is I also have Matthew Kruezer(79) on the chopping block. He is now part of a dreaded 3 prong ruck attack at the blues, we all saw what that did to Ryder last year at Essendon. Giles(92) has been killing both of them so he stays, BigO (73) keeps the bench spot, it will be a fight to the death between Sauce and Kruuz to see who stays. I might put them on the back of horses so they can joust for the spot! In other chopping news Ol’ bionic knees Malceski (65) is on notice…. I would have thought if i were making the perfect bionic man I wouldn’t just stop at the knees.. id give him bionic arms, legs and muscles too… c’mon Eski, if it wasn’t for the ruck men dilemma you’d be a goner!

The Clown.

The clown is a pretty obvious one this week, again its Mark Neeld. As if he dosent already have enough to worry about without me badgering him but mate.. please.. Tom Couch? I guess things are looking up for us though…. they have been playing like rubbish and he can’t get a game, but they actually had an improved performace this week…. does that mean Couch gets in on a count of some form of bizzaro form turn around clause? I can just see Neeld each week saying, ‘i’d love to bring you in but it wouldnt be fair… lets wait til we are playing better first…

The this game sh*ts me.

Remember in primary school… they always had a ‘bush week’ when everyone would come in wearing check shirts and jeans. We would churn butter; make music with a lager phone and other such uncool pursuits… Then they would make us do that stupid square dance with the girls just to dispel the myth that touching a girl would give you cooties…. You would do the heel and toe, heel and toe, do-si-do, link arms go round in a circle then onto the next girl… then back again. You had to pretend not to enjoy it just incase your mates were watching. How many people in the last month have done the do-si-do with either Ablett ->Swan -> Ablett? Or the Ablett -> Murphy -> Ablett? I hate that dance and I hate these wasted trades! Unless of course you waited on Ablett… and you are waiting on Swan… in this case you are one legendary tantric DT trader! Well done…. I don’t have Swan, but I went Ablett to Murphy and back again… and that’s why DT sh*ts me.

The other bits and pieces.

A better dream team coach than me once said the test of a true DT manager is knowing when to take a donut. While most are trading away early donuts on a whim the astute managers are swallowing them and moving on. So this got me to thinking… maybe over the bye weeks is the time to taste a few donuts at a time when most Muppets will probably be devouring a 12 pack anyway. It’s all about damage limitation to your overall score…If the bulk of the rest of the competition is taking multiple donuts and you only take a few donuts, you still come out ahead… right? Hmmm So while I’m here forcing myself not to upgrade, or bringing in players I don’t quite love all because of the bye structure I’m starting to think that maybe racking up the points now but snacking on a few donuts in rd’s 12 and 13 may actually have the team coming out ahead anyway. In reality for the bye plans to work everything has to go right……When was the last time you had a full bench of players active? Plus at the moment injuries are throwing everything into jeopardy. How would you feel if you sacrificed everything to get your bye plan working then you had 3 LTI’s in rd. 10 and blew everything apart? You’d be behind on points and the mug who didn’t plan at all would probably be at an advantage over you because he already had guns in for the first 10 weeks. All those people would be like Steven Bradbury skating past all the better performing skaters and taking the gold medal. I see all this now but changing strategy now is like trying to turn the Queen Mary… or the Costa Concordia.. and we all saw how that ended up. Right now is the tipping point in the bye planning v head in sand mindsets… which are you?

So that’s about it for this Sunday night. Im going OK, look to be scoring just over 2200 depending on how the Derby goes in the second half. How about you, What knee-jerk thoughts do you have so far about the round just passed? Any nominations for Legend, Chop, Clown or why this game sh*ts you? Get it down now before we get rational again in time for Tbettas bullets!

Hit me up with any thoughts or nominations on twitter @adzman78

1. Magpie28

May 27, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Why DT sh*ts me… about 6 weeks ago I struggled to a modest score thanks to some late withdrawals / donuts and I dropped about 8000 places in the overall. Since then I’ve scored above 2100 every round… and only clawed back about 7000 of those places. I’m still languishing outside the top 10,000, and that’s why DT sh*ts me :(

• Shazzam

May 27, 2012 at 10:43 pm

You should do a weekly article. :)

• Magpie28

May 27, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Haha! Couldn’t possibly compete with the quality already on here ;)

2. Tiger Woods

May 27, 2012 at 10:49 pm

why is everyone going on about darley he had 42 and 64?????

• Magpie28

May 27, 2012 at 11:09 pm

He generates cashola for upgrades. He sits as a perma-bench player ala Morris anyway. He covers a donut in R13 if you also have Ellis and Deledio.

That’s three off the top of my head :)

• Tiger Woods

May 27, 2012 at 11:19 pm

i alredy have to duds (smedts and ellis) sitting on the bench, it doesnt cover a donut because it was going to be a downgrade from bugg (also a gws player)

• OXnFOX

May 27, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Didnt he also start as a sub?? And got 42 in a qtr, thats why

• Kevin

May 28, 2012 at 12:59 am

And the 42 was in one quarter.

• Tiger Woods

May 27, 2012 at 11:15 pm

cheers but he doesn’t really cover a donut if its a down grade from bugg(also a gws player) and will he get regular game time and i already have to duds sitting on the pine in smedts and ellis

• Magpie28

May 27, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Yeah, so you said… don’t do it if it doesn’t suit your team. Might suit someone else’s though

• Gerryboy

May 28, 2012 at 1:56 pm

he makes you cash Tiger, unlike your other spuds on the pine and will be a useful bench player when he gest more time on ground.

3. Pricey

May 27, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Thoughts on Bugg to Dempsey or Lovett Murray to suit my bye rounds.
    If I go Lovett Murray then I also have enough to upgrade Jarred Redden to Josh Jenkins.

4. Reprobates

May 27, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Bugg to Darley. Greene to Sidebottam using DPP with Zorko. Next week MacIntosh to any DPP Ruckman and Kennedy to Roughead. Is a plan thru the byes with hope!

5. Joshua

May 27, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Should i get rid of the injured Swan?!?!?!!?!!?!??!!?!??

• Stuie

May 28, 2012 at 12:35 am

yeah, do it…

6. Dan

May 27, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Ok so what is the go with clancee Pearce?? How can he go from 100s to 40s?? Should I give him another week or lose him for sidebottom?? ( was originally going to trade darling for sidebottom)

7. OXnFOX

May 27, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Beams @ halftime was on 90 – got 132
    Pavlich @ halftime was on 80 – got 99

What happenned to Clancee Pearce this week? I know he got KO’d last week, but was he on the bench a lot today? I didnt see the game.

Also got 2214 this week and won Eliminator by just 10 pts!! PHEW!!!

8. Hawksman

May 27, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I have 11 trades left so should I just get rid of bugg for darley this week or go bugg to darley then Morris to Goddard

9. mfawcett

May 27, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I’m thinking of going Horse (yes, I know) and Treloar to Chapman and Saad. Will finish off my midfield and foward line and give me a set up of

Mids Ablett, Boyd, Jelwood, S Selwood, Swan, Beams (Zorko, Treloar)

Fwds Robinson, Dangerfield, Sidebottom, Franklin, Martin, Porps (Saad, Smith)

Think Smith and Treloar may be GWS keepers and possibly upgrade S Selwood later. Just need to tidy up my backline now and than complete.

10. grazza82

May 27, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Gone Kreuzer to Maric,was suppost to last wqeek but had other trades to sort out.

Just not sure about this trade. Murphy out for either Ablett or Cotchin.Ablet i can get in later for maybe trelor or horsley,but if i dont get cotchin in now,his price is just gonna sky rocket. Ahh the joys of DT haha

11. grazza82

May 28, 2012 at 12:00 am

Ahhh Dt stits me.

Thinking Murphy to either the upcoming Cotchin or the Ablett.

Cotchin is cheap at the moment and the way the tiges are playing i dont see his scores getting much lower.

Always can get Ablet later right.?for Trelor or Horsley

12. GrandOldFlag

May 28, 2012 at 12:03 am

First week I have won all my league games and I am ranked 9263 :S

I am ranked 1253 in supercoach, so pretty happy overall :)

13. Archer 77

May 28, 2012 at 12:19 am

Another ordinary week 2150 with Zorko & Treloar on the bench FMDT.

14. Stuie

May 28, 2012 at 12:24 am

Mmmm looking forward to picking up Thompson post-bye, and welcoming back Ablett next week :)

Looks like Shiel and Treloar are the keepers of the bunch over Horse and Jmac. Who will everyone else be keeping?

• grazza82

May 28, 2012 at 12:40 am

im not looking into one bad score from the horse,hes a keeper until i get in ablett,which isnt in quite a few weeks.Still gotta tade out trelor but not until hes cashed up. then mids and rucks
      will be set.=

• Kuruki

May 28, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Horse and Jmac are scoring very well and untill this week would have both been ahead of those other two. It is a lottery but all of them will still make cash.

15. McScoundrel

May 28, 2012 at 12:27 am

I didn’t even read all the comments but I read the article I think…

Bugg – who
    and
    Swan – who
    is just funny…eat shit fockers…you fkn deserve all the shit that comes your way fookheads. Good luck in the bye rounds kids!

16. YPJ

May 28, 2012 at 12:51 am

Okay I need a bit of help.

The first bye week id gonna be the one that hits me the most, definite 0, through both my main big men, I just hope Orren keeps playing. But one of my problems is my GWS boys and in the next two weeks I want to get rid of 2 out of my 3.

My three being TRELOAR, J MAC or D. SMITH. This week I want to downgrade one to Sexton then the following week another one to Ablett (I dont think he’ll make his BE. Been waiting since his injury to get him but letting him go down.).

So which out one out of the three do I keep and which one do I want to get rid of this week?

• Rambo Tambo

May 28, 2012 at 11:50 am

Treloar imo

• Rambo Tambo

May 28, 2012 at 11:56 am

*to keep, D. Smith out if Old Mac is named

17. Matt

May 28, 2012 at 9:36 am

bugg is proving a problem for my team. Just wanted to make a special mention to Courtney Dempsey good job mate.

Great write up

18. Hughes-Train

May 28, 2012 at 10:09 am

Had an alright week, 2188 with Stants captain :(

Don’t know what to do this week, trade Magner to Brad Ebert, Porplyzia to Zaharakis, Porplyzia to Beams?

19. Gazinator

May 28, 2012 at 10:18 am

Avoided a train smash this round, narrowly won my Eliminator and 1 of my league matches.

Main hitch was Stanton for captain, was cursing his name at 3 qtr time, but kudos to him for pulling out a 40 pt quarter!

Great write up too FMDT

20. Chad

May 28, 2012 at 10:28 am

I said it then and I will say it again, why would anyone trade out the best player in the comp (Ablett) for a player that can’t handle a tag (Murphy)?

21. The Butcher

The Butcher

May 28, 2012 at 10:48 am

Im thinking of trading Giles to Maric to avoid a donut in the MBR. I have Cox, Redden and Big O.
    Whats everyones thoughts?

• chappalenkoubeauty

May 28, 2012 at 1:01 pm

absolute waste of a trade

The Butcher

May 28, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I have 16 Trades left and sitting 1523. Maric in should increase by about 90 more points over round 11. I currently have 6 donuts in round 11 if A.Hall and Redden dont play. My projected is 1266.

22. Sauce

May 28, 2012 at 11:03 am

I was a little worried about the eliminator Saturday night but managed a very comfortable win despite a par score of 2153. Final stages of MBR setup this week, with Morris (Darley) and Shiel (Cotchin) on the cards. Team is finally starting to take serious shape and with a little luck, should be in a good position by the end of round 13.

23. Jason

May 28, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Speaking of knee jerks, I have a knee jerk for Sam Mitchell. Does anyone think it would be viable for Mitchell to be downgraded to Brock Mclean then pocket the cash and upgrade Old Mac to Ablett?

At the moment I have Treloar [ Zorko forward] and Macdonald on the bench in the mids. Thinking Mclean covers a donut in rd11 and should get good game time with the Blues now Carraz and Murph out.

• benno

May 28, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I just LOL’d…

You are joking right?

• Jason

May 28, 2012 at 4:32 pm

No not joking id love to knee Mitchell, right in the cods! For dropping 150k since rd 1, and avg 80 odd pts a game for his last 5. And they reckon Murph cant handle a tag! Lets see over the next month who’s avg is higher smartarse Mclean or Mitchell.

24. Adam

May 28, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Does anyone have some solid information on when Dane Swan may return?, the collingwood website says this round.

25. Adam

May 28, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Got nearly the ultimate foward line now Robbo, Beams, Franklin, Dangerfield, Martin, Sidebottom, Zorko :))))))))

• Albert Lloyd

May 28, 2012 at 1:53 pm

No Sylvia, epic fail.

Slappers

May 28, 2012 at 3:15 pm

what about rosa?

• All_Scores_Barlow

May 30, 2012 at 4:00 pm

You forgot Merett. He’s a forward now, after all… :P

26. mfawcett

May 28, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Porps and Smith to Johnson/Saad or Chapman/Saad which will give me another DPP? Chapman’s about $20,000 cheaper and they’re both putting out decent scores?

27. swans2011

May 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I’d like to put a special mention out to Clancee Pearce, his 32 lost me my eliminator by 14 points…

28. Slappers

Slappers

May 28, 2012 at 2:43 pm

its funny how everyone is saying a par score is 2100+… last year and the year before anyone would be happy to get over the 2000+… oh how times change…

• Sauce

May 28, 2012 at 3:33 pm

From what I understand – and someone step in and correct me if I’m wrong – the par score represents what someone ranked around the 5,000 mark overall would need in order to maintain their ranking. Par position, par score. Would’ve been around 2,150 this week I think.

29. hunter

May 28, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Can’t see Couch playing this week. Hasn’t played for Casey for 3 weeks since 5 May (in which he was best player).

Apparently had flu the week after then Casey had the bye and then last weekend was State game.

30. col

May 28, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Does any one know about Tom Mitchell?? (SYD)

In just his third match, the performance of father-son recruit Tom Mitchell will have Swans fans excited with the 18-year-old instrumental in the victory collecting 35 possessions, 6 marks and kicking a goal.

Good numbers!!

• Megatron

May 28, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Had him in my team all pre-season before his injury. He was a DT slut as a junior, and he will be once he gets into the first team.

Once hes in the team, he’ll keep his spot. Really hope he’s in after the byes.

31. Gleesooo

May 29, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I’m still not sure how to prepare for bye rounds.
    Went away overseas for rounds 1-3 (there goes my ranking…)
    now I’m left with a miserly 12 trades left but in dire need to trade out for bye rounds
    Got:
    Lids Scotland Grimes
    Bower Goddard Hargrave Dempsey (Morris, Gillies)

Stanton Pendles Swan
    Gaff Horsley Sheil (Kennedy McDonald both GWS)

Franklin Danger Sides Walker
    Zaharakis Whitecross Zorko (Saad, Paine)

So yeah, any suggestions as to WTF to do to save myself from the dreaded bye drought?