DT 101

Tackling The Bye Rounds

Owen did a little write up about tackling the bye rounds for the FanFooty forum and wanted to share it here on DT Talk. He gives us 5 steps to think about heading into those dreaded bye rounds that we’ll be facing in a few weeks time.

There is lots of theory’s on how best to tackle the bye rounds. There is so much to think about with overall ranking plus your league matches that you so desperately want to win. I have heard many coaches so they’re going to tank round 12 or 13, or they’re not even going to give a stuff about the bye rounds and just pick the guys they normally would not caring for structure or a plan. I disagree I think a lot of careful planning and studying needs to be done, to be both successful in overall and your league matches. To those guys who haven’t planned, studied or thought out how they will be tackling the bye rounds it’s not late, but you need to start now. I’ve put to together a guide that can be used to assist in tackling the bye rounds.

Step 1 – Study Your Opponents

You need to identify and continually track how many players your opponent will have out in the round they play you. For example in my main league:

My round 11 opposition currently has 4 out in backs (Waters, Lake, Bugg, Tomlinson), 3 out in mids (Greene, Old Mac, Boyd), 2 out in rucks (Cox, Giles), and 5 out in forwards (Danger, Porps, Kennedy, Hampton, Cameron). That’s a total of 14 outs, but not to mention his reserve rucks are Redden and Orren who’s JS is not great, and his already traded in Horsley last week. So from this information I can presume his going to struggle not to field any donuts in that round.

My round 12 opposition currently has 2 out in backs (Clarke, Smedts),  3 out in mids (Pendles, Selwood, Magnet), no rucks out, and 3 out in forwards (Sidebum, Zaha, Paine). So I can presume that with 3 trades there is a strong chance I could come across 22, looking further into his team I have identified boumann in backs as having massive JS issues. This could be a tough one.

My round 13 opposition currently has 6 out in backs, 1 out in mid, none out in ruck, and 6 out in forwards. A lot of those backs and forwards r premiums. From this knowledge i can foresee a few donuts in round 13.

Step 2 – Know your team

So you need to know your sides structure I have 3-3-3 in backs, 3-3-2 in mids, 1-1-2 in rucks, and 4-3-2 in forwards. So I know I have relatively weak opponents in rounds 11 and 13. So I need to structure my team so that I am taking donuts in these rounds. I have planned my future trades ahead of time allowing for a few different case scenarios on new rookies like zorko/couch getting games. My goal structure is to have a team set 3-2-4 in backs, 2-3-3 in mids, rucks no need to change, 3-4-2 in forwards. With 3 trades in round 12 I could potentially have 22 on the park in my tough round, and also 3 in round 13 leaves me with 22 with a bit of luck.

Step 3 – The Ruck Trio

That’s right it’s a trio not a duo. Forget about crossing your fingers and hoping orren and redden get a recall. If you get a opportunity set up the trio, mine is giles, sandilands (should return soon, pleas don’t get injured in bye period), and Maric (Dirty mullet, but who cares I’m only after points). So if your trio is fit you will not have to use any trades in your ruck department.

Step 4 – Round 11 JS

When trading to get the structure that best suits you really need to consider who has the best JS out of the round 11 guys you have trusted in throughout this period. I plan to have Bugg, Lake, Waters, Shiel, Boyd, Giles, Dangerfield, Adams and Smith. I think there security is slightly better than the guys who i need to cut from my team these being Old Mac (only due to I know at some stage he’ll make way for rookies), Treloar think his behind Smith and Adams in the pecking order. Another guy that might get a game soon from round 11 is Zorko, if his the goods I would consider trading him in for Smith/Adams. That cash could be very valuable in round 12 and 13. Ideally though you don’t want this guy playing till round 9, but nothing is ideal in the DT world.

Step 5 – Who you going to trade?

Looking into my team further I plan to make 6 trades in round 12 and 13. But who? Well that’s easy you don’t want to be sidewaysing premos if you can help. In round 12 I have Smedts, Couch, and Christensen who are my weakest 3 players. So they’ll get the cut. But if say couch still hasn’t got a game ill ride that one donut if I’m confident of a league win in that hard round 12 clash I’m expecting. In round 13 the 3 unlucky guys are Ellis, Morris, Horsley (just brought in for McCarthy).

After all that planning i have a lot more confidence in what i can achieve. I can see 2.5 wins coming and with a bit of luck maybe only 2 donuts and a lot of points to push me closer to that number 1 ranking. Hope some of you guys find this useful

*Note: You need to do your own planning and study to be successful. The assistant coach can’t help you here.

Submitted by Owen.

1. FMDT

May 14, 2012 at 6:06 am

thanks for the advice :)

• CAPTAINBLOOD17

May 14, 2012 at 7:24 am

makes my team seen very disorganised. cheers! have a bit too look at.

2. the sandgroper

May 14, 2012 at 7:53 am

nice article,
    a lot of things may be different come the bye rounds, your opponents lineup may change, another week of carnage might ensue and good/poor form may hit some rookies.
    I’m not saying its the way to go, but I might just set my team up for the first bye then substitute a couple for the second bye and sit back with a box of crispy creme and watch it all play out.
    I’m mad you say……… hey i’ve no chance of the FJ or any coin, so why not

• colesy

May 14, 2012 at 10:48 am

I’m doing same sir.

3. discomute

May 14, 2012 at 8:13 am

If I was you I’d take the donuts round 12 if possible. Win 2 drop 1 = good result.

4. Pettiger

May 14, 2012 at 8:30 am

Good article Owen.

I think the overwhelming view in my league is to be as structured as possible before the bye rounds, and then only make normal trades and wear the donuts.

As I now have had to cover 4 LTIs I can’t afford the luxury of 6-8 trades during the bye rounds.

• the sandgroper

May 14, 2012 at 8:48 am

I reckon they should introduce LTI trades and have say 4 or 5 trades that you can only use if a player is out for say 4 weeks or more

• Pettiger

May 14, 2012 at 8:57 am

Nice idea, but would be very complicated to implement. 24 trades is sufficient if you are careful, and don’t sideways trade or trade out premiums (Broughton, Ablett, etc.)

• Scott

May 14, 2012 at 9:04 am

Like how clubs can elevate a player from the rookie list

• BBQbarbs

May 14, 2012 at 9:23 am

why not have unlimited trades, or 20 emergencies? cmon bloke the games good as it is lti trades are a f**ked idea

5. Noodles71

May 14, 2012 at 9:02 am

I just plan to cop what comes. I’m hoping to have enough wins to make finals.

My biggest concern is players being rested (Eg Hawks last year)in the final rounds which is DT finals.
    Also I want to make sure I have enough trades left in DT finals.

6. swans2011

May 14, 2012 at 10:02 am

Does anyone here still own Mcevoy? Are you going to hold onto him because of Giles’ output or trade him for another premo?

I’m thinking Mcevoy > Maric

• Noodles71

May 14, 2012 at 11:36 am

Still got McEvoy sitting on my bench, using Cox and Giles for the time being until I can find a decent upgrade. Maybe use the money elsewhere later in proceedings.
      surely Giles will get tired at some stage, this guy is a freak!

7. MMM Boags

May 14, 2012 at 10:32 am

Step 1
    Be single and have all the spare time in the world to research.

IF not
    Spam DTTALK site with your team and ask for advice..

Good write up though… Didn’t even think about studying my opposition

• Albert Lloyd

May 14, 2012 at 11:43 am

Lol +1

Although I still did a shed load of DT research when I was in a long termer or LTR.

8. colesy

May 14, 2012 at 10:47 am

looks like all my teams im versing have ganged up on me!

9. 7ator

May 14, 2012 at 10:47 am

Cheers for the advice Owen, every little bit of info helps.

Im just wondering how everyone is sitting with one game to go and what is a good score for this week? From what ive seen, it is been a high scoring round so far.

• buckets

May 14, 2012 at 11:16 am

Im on 1900 with Hayes, goddard and Scotland to come. If I can give 2200 a shake I’ll be relatively happy considering I’ve got 2 90s on my bench and 3 50s on the field

Slappers

May 14, 2012 at 11:52 am

2033, with hayes, god and robbo to go… should crack the 2300

10. juddy69

May 14, 2012 at 11:08 am

I think I’ll just deal with the byes when they happen. Use the least amount of trades as possible and tell my opposition i have more 0’s than i actually will.

11. hinchdawg

May 14, 2012 at 11:28 am

Really good article,

I’m going with the strategie called ‘screw the byes’ this involves not caring and taking them as they come and making no trades

Slappers

May 14, 2012 at 11:51 am

• Shazzam

May 14, 2012 at 5:10 pm

+ another.

FK the byes. I’m not going for the car. I’ll probably still be third on the ladder if not better after it blows over.

It would mmake more sense for VS not to take DT into account over that time.

• the sandgroper

May 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I like your theory, I will pretty much do the same

12. Slappers

Slappers

May 14, 2012 at 11:54 am

troy dickson 105 and was on my bench…

13. Slappers

Slappers

May 14, 2012 at 11:56 am

how good was boyd’s 162…. so glad i had him the big C this week

14. Albert Lloyd

May 14, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Mzungu to Boyd or (z)Ab(a)lett(a)?

15. mfawcett

May 14, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Could be wrong here, but having DPP in your team can also help towards having as many donuts if you set it up right couldn’t it? Swap players where needed and minimise your trades if possible? Only problem there though is majority of premiums alot have are not DPP. Beams, Dangerfield, Robinson, Deledio and Goddard could help to a certain extent to possibly lessen the damage that can be done. Would involve a few trades between now and round 11 to set it up correctly though if you have the cash and rookies ready to trade out?

• ScottyGC

May 14, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Other analyses on this site have shown that DPP simply moves donuts from one line to another during the MBR’s.

• mfawcett

May 14, 2012 at 6:39 pm

fair call. Hadn’t seen that and was trying to sort out bye rounds but makes sense:) Was trying to work out all angles but will look for article aletr. cheers.

16. crispy

May 14, 2012 at 12:18 pm

My plan is to cop a few donuts and losses in order to save trades and be able to make 2 trades per round in at least the last 4-5 games. Going for league wins, not the car. As long as I finish in the top 8 I will be happy (currently sitting 2nd, 4th and 3rd and looking like winning all 3 this round)

17. Shags

May 14, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I have my bye strategy sorted. Aiming for best team possible round 11. Willing to take a couple of zeros round 12 as I play a team infused with many collingwood players, and round 13 playing someone infused with many Hawthorn players. Easy!

• Zan

May 14, 2012 at 1:39 pm

rd 11 I’m looking at a total of 6 = 0’s ( 2 forward,2mids,2back) (can trade 3)

rd 12 I’m looking at a total of 3 = 0’s ( 2 forward, 1 mid)

rd 13 I’m looking at a total of 3 = 0’s (3 back) (can trade)

Total of 9 = 0’s

(i dont think Pfeiff will play over these round) = 0

• Zan

May 14, 2012 at 1:40 pm

o_O something like that Fo Sho Man

18. Shags

May 14, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I have made a spreadsheet showing my team and my opponents for the byes. Anyone taking their league win seriously should as well. Unless you are a certainty for making finals.

• mfawcett

May 14, 2012 at 6:44 pm

done that and my opponents for the rounds and made comparisons to what their current team is and will keep updating each round to see where I may need to make changes and where I can beat them or lose? Round 11 I’m only going to cop 8 out depending on trades til than and opponent will onlky cop 6 though I still think my team is stronger due to the midfield and his lower scoring averages. 12 and 13 I’m going to cop a few donuts but will still have more players on the field them and currently have higher averaging players. Only going for league win in the end so don’t want to drastically change to much.

19. Grim Reaper

May 14, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Good article, makes a lot of sense but i will take the byes as they come. Have done some research regarding my team but will try to keep trades to a minimum for later in the season. Prepared to cop a few donuts through the bye rounds with my team strongest round 11 and 12 ( hopefully wins)… Most donuts will occur round 13 ( prepared to cop losses). Time will tell if my strategy is ok or stupid…..Going for league wins……should win all games this week, sitting 3-1 and in the eight all leagues…

20. mtooler

May 14, 2012 at 5:11 pm

102 needed from Goddard to beat Warnie in the DreamTeamTalk.com league.

Giddy up.