DT TALK

Good Trade, Bad Trade – Rd 6

Hi! My name is James and I’m a self confessed dream team addict and coach of ‘The Running Man’. Last week, I wrote the article ‘good trade, bad trade’ and enjoyed it so much I thought I would do it every week! Besides, Roy is too busy being in the top 200 to continue with ‘trade talk Tuesday’ so we need somewhere to solely discuss trades!

Hi! My name is James and I’m a self confessed dream team addict and coach of ‘The Running Man’. Last week, I wrote the article ‘good trade, bad trade’ and enjoyed it so much I thought I would do it every week! Besides, Roy is too busy being in the top 200* to continue with ‘trade talk Tuesday’ so we need somewhere to solely discuss trades!

*Probably busier than me

Fyfe’s shoulder injury not that humerus, so who will shoulder the burden? (All puns fully intended)

As we found out on Tuesday, Freo gun/avatar look-a-like Nat Fyfe left training clutching his shoulder (we’ll assume he was hip and shouldered by John ‘actually it’s Jack’ Anthony as he doesn’t want to get dropped) and now we have found out he will miss 12 weeks and needs to be traded for those coaches who didn’t pull the trigger two weeks ago.

On the bright side, he didn’t do this 2 minutes into a game, costing us more money and valuable points, so Anthony has sort of done something right. Warnie covered which premiums to get in for Fyfe on Tuesday and covered some very solid premium options. Unfortunately if you have no cash in the bank and only want to use one trade, only Zaha and Luke Power would be on your radar. I think there are a couple of others closer to home who may benefit from Fyfe’s omission (other than Greg Broughton) to consider

**Clancee Pearce ($395,100, b/e 49)

The southern red neck could be this years’ Jack Redden. Last week Clancee only got his hands on the sherrin 20 times but amassed a massive 10 tackles for 94 points. Gotta love a player who tackles like a demon! With a 3 rd average of 106, DPP and only in 2.75% of teams he can make a good unique for your team.  After 4 seasons and 31 games, 2012 truly look likes his breakout season.

**Matthew Pavlich ($394,700 b/e 80)

Ah good ol Pav. Some think he may be over the DT hill, but from all reports in the preseason, he is fitter than ever and now may get more midfield time without Fyfe. In a massive 13.56% of teams (probably all freo supporters?) he could be a great buy if he gets back to his old ways of averaging 90’s, like he has for the past 7 years. (Also a big shout out to Arnold and his team ranked 98699 that gave me a laugh when researching Pavlich, ‘Pavlich my balls’)

**likely to also get injured by Jack Anthony at training

Allen Christensen ($363,300 b/e 21)

This bloke had a whole heap of hype in the preseason due to his 2nd half of last season averaging 85 in the last 10 games. Read all about it in the deck of DT. Due to preseason injury, AC has gone under the radar but now looks truly over his injuries after pumping out 2 tons in his last 2 games (one was in 3 feet of water at the Gabba too) and has a 3 round average of 95. While he is still cheap as chips and the same bye round as Fyfe, he could one of the buys of the season.

Food for thought (but not donuts)

This DT season brings us new challenges never encountered before, especially, the bye rounds. If the carnage of DT continues and the donuts are flowing freely when all 18 teams are playing, it is going to be almost impossible to get through the bye rounds with only 2 donuts. For example, I got all excited on Monday that my first cow (Devon Smith) had almost fattened and was due for a cull to Pfeiffer, or an upgrade to AC but thought ‘hang on? Who is going to be my rd forward 11 keepers?’ which got me thinking. The only other ‘keeper’ I have in the forward line is Patrick Dangerfield and I’m not very keen on any other rd 11 fwd keepers (in order of highest average currently – Power, Tippett, Sherman, Harvey and Darling) none of these guys are likely to be traded into my team any time soon which leaves me left with Danger, Treloar and Devon Smith as the only rd 11 fwds currently in my team. Other rookies from rd 11 byes may pop up as a downgrade targets (Zorko, Weedon, Skinner) but relying on these sort of guys playing could be a high risk strategy to avoid donuts. So my food for thought this week is to think very carefully about cashing in all the GWS cows like Cameron, Hampton, Kennedy, Treloar and Smith before the byes, as it may leave you copping donuts in your forward line in rounds 12 and 13, thus why I’m not culling Smith this week.

Question time.

Good question Bez. Last year @impromptuSC won super coach and came 26th in DT with an aggressive trading strategy, he only had 2 trades left by rd 14. The theory is that the sooner your team is set, the sooner you can start pumping out 2200’s on a regular basis. If this means sacrificing a cow a week or 2 early, then so be it. Just make sure that you think the premium is going to be in the top 10 of their respective line, otherwise, you may find you will have to trade him again later in the season.  Another consideration is make sure that the ol’ bye structure is still going to work if you plan to get a set line before the MBR’s. Personally I’m hoping my mid line will be Boyd, Thompson, Pendles, Selwood, Murphy and Ablett sooner rather than later. This will leave me with 2 mids from each round and hopefully manageable through the bye rounds.

If you have any questions about trades feel free to hit me up on twitter @jimbobholder

Well that’s it for this week. I am beginning to prepare for the worst on Thursdays (and also 5pm Fridays) with the carnage that is currently Dream Team. Any calculated trades that come with hours of research could be just thrown down the toilet in a matter of seconds!

Discuss all your trades here!

1. Hill End

May 3, 2012 at 11:05 am

Question:

Say this weekend Birchall / Hargrave pull out (again) and if I have Ellis / Clarke on the bench both of which I had selected as Emerg and say only 1 player withdraws – which emerg score would I get???

• The x Factor

May 3, 2012 at 11:11 am

the lowest scorer

2. swanlow36

May 3, 2012 at 11:40 am

Looking at trading D Smith > Horsely and Magner > Pendles. Should I proceed with this trade and what should I do with Sandi?!

• Shazzam

May 3, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Worry about him before your other options!

3. Ridley U

May 3, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Sorry guys and girls for swamping the forums the past few days. Got a week and a half till the new job starts and the wife is o/s lol.

Just got a little too much time on my hands.

• eeepo

May 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm

You’re right mate- i love reading your posts- you Sir are an asset to DTTALK!!

• Big Feller

May 3, 2012 at 12:09 pm

• thebeam16

May 3, 2012 at 12:51 pm

• Lukey85

May 3, 2012 at 4:02 pm

+1. I’m on 2 weeks hols at the moment and have enjoyed your contributions. Keep up the good work Ridley!

• JimmyBob

May 3, 2012 at 2:44 pm

gotta love positive contribution and helping out rookie dter’s!

• Jarrad

May 3, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Apart from when they are told to delete their team and then a week later they go and slash half their rank…

• Genghis Khan

May 3, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Hero…

4. grazza82

May 3, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have some big choices to make with the following players over the next few weeks but unsure which should be traded out first,but currently i have the following to take out.

Golby,Kreuzer,Fyfe,Porps(maybe),Hurley(essendon),Dickson

Basicly they arent perfoming and fyfe has to go,

Was thinking Hurley(hes on my bench) out Sidebottom in,

Fyfe out Goodes,Danger,Chapman,jordan lewis,hawkins or Clancee in .That is this weeks trade unless anyone can see someone else that needs to go this week.

Any thoughts?? thanku

• Jarrad

May 3, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Who are your other ruckmen? There have been rumours of Kruezer being one of the Carlton players rested. Also do you have a DPP link to your mids with Fyfe, or is he stuck in the fwds?

• grazza82

May 3, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I got Giles,Redden,big O.Not very strong,but was thinking getting rid of underperformers in forwards was more important.

Yea i got Smith and Kennedy,i aslo have 4 forwards that can be moved to mids.

• Jarrad

May 3, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Well if you have the chance try to move forwards that you can keep this week who aren’t playing into your mids and move Smith and Kennedy (they will almost definitely play) into your forwards, this will allow you to dodge a couple of donuts without making a trade.

As for the players you have mentioned, I’d say Geelong may feel inclined to give the big O a recall (at least I hope so for both our sakes). Wait for the teams to come out, I wouldn’t be surprised if Kruezer gets a rest and Warnock comes in. If Kruezer is still playing I’d say to focus on getting Fyfe and Hurley out for possibly Chapman and depending on what cash you have left, another bottomed out premo or another cash cow who will definitely play.

Other bottomed out fwd premos include (some may need to be given a week or two yet): Beams, O Keefe (give him a week), Stevie J (give him a week too), Martin, Buddy, Zaha, Cloke, Pav and Didak (not recommended at this early stage but could come back this week and smash out the big scores, who knows).

Then ofcourse there are the mid pricers who look like having a breakout year, Christensen, Clancee, Tomahawk and Dangermouse, of those my best pick would be Danger, he plays almost all of his time in the midfield and just pumped out a massive 140!

If you end up in shit creek with only Giles named, swap Kruezer out for HMac, he is still relatively cheap for what you’re gonna get, I can say with confidence that barring injury or a resurgence from Goldstein, HMac will be in the top 3 ruckmen at year’s end.

Hope this helps you with whatever trades you need to make.

• Jarrad

May 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm

edit* Stevie J you can bring in this week, my bad

• grazza82

May 4, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Thank u very much for the response Jarrad,

In the end i have ended up Fyfe out for Sidebottom and Hurley out for Danger.Gonna cop a donut In rucks though,but hey no biggie. :) cheers mate

5. Shazzam

May 3, 2012 at 12:10 pm

AM I that **** in the head to contemplate holding GAZ? Everything thing I read today is GAZ -> this, GAZ -> that.

I’m probably in a lot worse situation then most but still thinking of holding.

Fark I would love Swan though.

In other good new I have put absolutely no thought in the the MBR’s at all even though I was aware of them.

Your sincerley

DT Looser

6. Haydos_17

May 3, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Hey guys, i need some thoughts on Jack Redden. Should i keep him or trade him off? Only delivered 1 ton so far (105) and is averging 84, well down on last years 109. If i trade him im thinking of going:

Redden-Heppell (DPP Goddard to mids) & Porplyzia – Zaharakis

Thoughts?

• cookiemon72

May 3, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Keep him now he will come good mid 6 at very worst IMO

• Albert Lloyd

May 3, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Ditch Redden he is poo

7. cookiemon72

May 3, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Rockliff hammy at training?? Watch this space

• thebeam16

May 3, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Please be trollin’ or rumour…

• Albert Lloyd

May 3, 2012 at 12:58 pm

They see me trollin, they hatin

• cookiemon72

May 3, 2012 at 12:58 pm

On Dunny’s twitter feed haven’t been able to source any more news at this stage

• cookiemon72

May 3, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Only rumour hence my ??? Albert Proud eat a DIK

• cookiemon72

May 3, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Albert Lloyd you eat one also!

• Albert Lloyd

May 3, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Lol cookie I was just singing calm down

• cookiemon72

May 3, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Fair enough.. I am calm now

• thebeam16

May 3, 2012 at 1:45 pm

My man on the inside says the Lions boys didn’t train today…
      and if Rocky had gone down yesterday, it’d be all over AFL.com.au by now, just like Fyfe
      (since Tommy is an important lad at the Lions).
      Rockliff will play.

• Kuruki

May 3, 2012 at 3:07 pm

So did your man on the inside confirm he was not injured? Or just they did not train? Coz if i had inside info i would cut straight to the point. Injured or not.

• Brappinalong

May 3, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Rocky himself tweeted he’s fine and something along the lines of: “Can’t do a hammy when it’s your day off #Rumours To slow to do a hammy anyway” – from the man himself

8. Garnzy

May 3, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Gents,

First off, i’m going for League wins, not too fussed about overall rankings.

This week thinking of trading:

Fyfe to Robinson
    Congilio to either Boyd or Murphy

Which of Boyd or Murphy do you reckon? I was leaning more towards Murphy as he has a better run in the coming weeks and was hoping to pick up Boyd around Rd 12 when his price has come down a bit.

Thoughts?

Cheers

9. oagcsr

May 3, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Need some help guys with trading this week.

Obviously Fyfe needs to go – and Chappy looks too good to refuse at this price.

And Ablett to Pendles.

Thoughts and comments would be great

Brak

May 3, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Fyfe to Chappy sounds good to cover that long term injury,

I’m keeping Ablett, Every player is likely to miss one or two games this year, Geelong rested every player last year and come finals a fit Geelong was too good for a broken collingwood. Can’t sideways trade every player can we?

• JimmyBob

May 3, 2012 at 2:47 pm

trade one – good trade – chappy has proven to be a consistent gun

trade two bad trade – if ablett also missed next week that would make 3/23 weeks missed, on a best case scenario (13% games missed). im sticking with him for now.

• sam

May 3, 2012 at 3:59 pm

have the same problem mate, im thinking of fyfe to pearce or christensen and gaz to swanny?

10. duma417

May 3, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Fyfe for Chapman or Pearce??

not counting the 20, do u think pearce can get an average of 95+?

11. Paynton

May 3, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Ok, so im looking to double trade have two options.

DEF: B.Goddard, B.Deledio, B.Waters, G.Broughton, R.Hargrave,T.Bugg, M.Clarke ( ellis, Townsend )

MID: Ablett , Boyd, Mitchell , J.Selwood, Magner, L.Parker (A.Kennedy, J.Mac )

Rucks: Sandi , Giles ( redden, stephenson )

FWDS: Sidebottom, Franklin, Martin, Pearce, R.Stanley, Fyfe, Treloar ( Hall, D.Smith )

20 trades $221,100 in bank.

Option 1: Trade Fyfe to Chapman & L.Parker to S.Thompson Left over = $32,100

Option 2: Downgrade Fyfe to Pfieffer & upgrade parker to Swan. Left Over= $254,000

or if u can notice something im missing that would be great cheers :)

• Joel

May 3, 2012 at 4:06 pm

go into settings and click remove team, problem solved!

• Paynton

May 3, 2012 at 4:14 pm

can i do that

• Grim Reaper

May 3, 2012 at 4:29 pm

What about the donut in your ruck with Sandi ??? For me Chapman a bit risky, and have been hearing some negative talk about Pfiefer. The weird thing is i was also looking at doing trades for Chappy and Pfief. Go with your gut feeling.

• Standish23

May 3, 2012 at 8:36 pm

curious to why you are wanting to trade Parker out at the moment? Has a breakeven of 38 this week and a good run of games coming up over the next month. Will only continue to smash out good scores and make you money along the way

12. Grim Reaper

May 3, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Forgot to mention your team is looking pretty solid.

13. Weegles

May 3, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Devon smith to Zaharakis or Christiansen?

• Grim Reaper

Thank you! :D

• Jack

May 4, 2012 at 1:08 am

Martin

15. Chuck Norris

May 3, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Too many options! I guess it’s a good thing but hard to decide between:

Beams: had a massive end to last season but don’t know how much midfield time he’ll get
    Chappy: proven performer but had a dud score v North
    Lewis: mr. Consistent but worried about him fwd tagging

then there’s the uniques:
    Power
    Clancee Pearce
    Christensen

Probably going Chappy though. Any reason why not?

• Jack

May 4, 2012 at 1:08 am

Go beams

16. dario

May 3, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Since Judd has been left out this week, and i got an important league game would it be worth trading him to someone like Thompson or even Hayes as i thought of judd as a unique.
    or just keep him?
    Ill only have swan and pendles in my mid.

• Steven

May 3, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I’n in the exact same position dude lol I traded Judd out and got thomson and I’m feeling fair confident

17. Mr_DT

May 3, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Ablett to J. Kennedy (Syd)

Hanley to Scotland

good double trade?

18. mikkysticks

May 3, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Who does everyone think would make a better Round 11 premium forward, Drew Petrie or Patty Dangerfield?

19. Zac

May 3, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Hi Guys, I have narrowed down my trades this week too 2 options. Would love some help with the decision.

Option 1: Porps to Pfeiffer allowing enough cash too upgrade D. Smith to Pendles.

Option 2: D. Smith to Dangerfield, and wait probably 2 weeks too get Pendles.

20. Nealos

May 3, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Hey Guys, Planning on Agresive Trading in the next ocuple of rounds, my plans are:

This week:
    Coniglio to Horsley
    D.Smith to Christenson

Next Week:
    Kennedy to Couch/Zorko./Adams
    Shiel/Magner to Mitchell

Week After:
    Ellis/Morris to Spurr
    Ellis/Morris to Duffield/Heppell

So By Round 8 My Team WIll Look Like this:
    DEF: Goddard, Birchall, Delidio, DUFFIELD/HEPPELL, Hargrave, Golby, Bugg [Spurr, Smedts]
    MID: Swan, Rockliff, Selwood, S.Selwood, Pendulbury, MITCHELL [Horsley, Magner/Shiel]
    RUCK: Jacobs, Giles [Redden, Big O]
    FWD: Buddy, Robinson, Sidebottom, Martin, Dangerfield, CHRISTENSON, Zorko?(Rookie) [Hall, Treloar]

Thoughts?!?!

21. Aidan

May 3, 2012 at 9:07 pm

trade waite (hip) for sidebottom

• JimmyBob

May 3, 2012 at 9:58 pm

mate waite has just got the general this week. Be er, patient.

22. Jack

May 4, 2012 at 1:26 am

Should I trade out rioli or wait a couple of weeks for him to find form?