DT TALK

Nat Fyfe to have shoulder surgery

It’s official, the Fremantle Football Club has confirmed that MID/FWD Nat Fyfe will have shoulder surgery in Melbourne this week and will miss 12 weeks… so it’s time to trade, but who to? Let’s have a look at the best options.

I’m one of those coaches out there who held onto Nathan Fyfe when he was a late withdrawal in Round 4… not through choice, but more through need as I had other issues that needed patching. After a solid 91 returning from the week on the sidelines, I thought it might be happy days for the Avatar, but alas, those who traded him seem to be the winners.

Not with a 12 week stint on the sidelines, we have basically no option but to trades him. So who do we go to?

Fyfe is now worth $412,300… that’s $74,300 less than what we paid for him at the start, and almost $40K less than what he was last week, ouch!

With most of us having a few dollars in the bank, we don’t want to be trading him for a rookie or anyone less than who we’d expect to be a top 10 forward at the end of the year. While he can be selected as a midfielder, unless you can go to a super premo, I’d look at a forward line player. For me, the answer is going to be Paul Chapman ($437,600). You’ll need a few grand to get to him but with a pretty decent draw coming up, and a 102 last week coupled with a break even of only 77, he is prime for the picking. He also fits in well with your bye structure… as Freo and Geelong both share the same bye round.

Other options worth looking at, if you have the extra coin and you don’t have either are Steele Sidebottom ($464,600) or Dayne Beams ($469,500). Both are in ripping form and look set to be two of the best forwards for this year. Again, their byes fit in quite well! I am a fan of what Jordan Lewis ($427,300) is doing this year, but you’d have to make that call on how he would fit into your team.

For a bit cheaper, David Zaharakis ($378,900) hit back last week for a score of 104 and has a break even of only 70 now. He will hopefully hit his straps after a couple of low scores that has got him down around $60K on his starting price. One out of left field could be Luke Power ($397,900) from the Giants. The veteran recruit has shown a bit of late averaging 90 points and scored a nice 120 last weekend.

Are you one of the 56,873 still with Fyfe? What are your plans? Don’t get too set with them… as a lot can happen before lockout – for example, a little birdy tells me that Jason Porplyzia might miss again this week, so some double trading plans might need to be thought about there.

Here’s your forum to discuss the Fyfe trade.

HIT ME UP ON TWITTER: @WarnieDT

1. Pat

May 1, 2012 at 10:49 pm

All this fyfe trading has made me want to trade. I was one of the lucky ones that traded him after he popped his shoulder out for mitch robinson. Happy with my new Bitch Robinson

I am currently ranked 84 so I am pretty keen to do as well as I can and that may involve some aggressive trading.

I only have $118,600 left in bank and 20 trades left so I was thinking of trading shiel for horsley and milera for chapman.

Is leaving myself with 18 trades a bit low this early?

Ridley your thoughts would be appreciated since your ranked higher than me now you bastard.

• Ridley U

May 2, 2012 at 7:37 am

Hey Pat

Just had a look at your team. Team Machine is traveling nicely and looking strong.

I would prob let your cows in the mids fatten up for another week. You will almost have no choice but to grab Horsley next week due to the round 11 bye then hope he continues to play. Then go a another cash cow to a premium mid with the round 13 bye.

There are a lot of people smashing through their trades quickly without thinking about the upcoming byes. Nearly everyone has their 3 premium defenders with the round 13 bye and their 2 playing rucks with round 11 off. Then there is the problem of the GWS rookies teamed with a Boyd, Rocky, Thommo in the mids. From now on all trades require thoughts for the bye rounds.

I have Fyfe and Ablett so will need to trade this week. I will only be using one so will welcome in Zaha or Cloke. Otherwise I would be holding off. Best of luck with it!

2. Nealos

May 1, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Great Read Warnie, Luckily traded Him out Straight After his Subbed 22 for Robinson things went well for me.

A bit off topic, Thoughts on Dal Santo as a DT Pick?

3. Lucas

May 1, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Get well soon Fyfey!

4. rossles26

May 1, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Feel sorry for Fyfe but feel much better about my risky trade last round. Didn’t want to miss out on some quick cash so traded out Ablett and Fyfe for McDonald and Treloar.

Scared my plan could back fire but got my biggest score (2187) for the year so far thanks to Swan VC, and that was with Greene and Cameron still on the bench.

So made approximately $150k from Treloar and McDonald (plus future profits); saved myself $40K from Fyfe’s loss; and now have $842,200 in the bank for upgrades and 21 trades left.

Obviously about $300k will be spent on getting Ablett back once fit, but that still leaves me with $540k, plus rookies future increases, to spend on upgrades to premo’s.

This week I improved my ranking from 11,665 to 2,134 and still haven’t lost a league match (touch wood), and hopefully I only have to waste one trade on getting Gaz back. Might even upgrade Devon and Smedts this round if possible.

What you guys think? Good plan paid off? Did the trade right at the last minute but thought about it all week. Hopefully the wasted trade won’t come back to haunt me ;)

• Pat

May 1, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Why trade out Ablett he will be back in a week or 2 at worst. Your ranking is not high enough to warrant a trade like that. Even if you were ranked high, like me (just kidding) I am leaving him on the pine.

• Pat

May 1, 2012 at 11:56 pm

didnt read that right, you traded ablett out already. Well since you have that many trades I guess I could let that slide.

• eeepo

May 2, 2012 at 12:24 am

Good plan paid off?……..really can’t assess after 1 week!

I started with a terrible mid-price approach, so thought what the heck, and traded Ablett->Barlow, & (poor) Gary Rohan to Mitch Robinson.

With the amount of GWS players in most teams, and then the popular premos with the round 11 bye, have you comprimised your team, by trading in 2 round 11 players, whilst ridding yourself of round 12 & 13 players?

It seems quite an extreme move, and against conventional DT wisdom.
      Perhaps it’s a case of taking 2 steps backwards, and then forging ahead???

Basically, I reckon it wasn’t the best move, but I’m ranked like 40k and I only started with 9 premos, & 2 of those were in the rucks!!!

All the best with your team, spend that money wisely now! :-)

5. nato87

May 1, 2012 at 11:22 pm

is any one thinking off L. Thomas or T.Walker cause was thinking going fyfe down to one the shiel up to swan good trade or bad trades got 19 Left atm

• Pat

May 1, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Swan would be a great addition.With the other trade I would probably trade down to a rookie on the bubble like pfiefer but if you must Tex would be my choice of the two or check which is best for the bye rounds structure. If you get one those you must be prepared to keep them.

6. Nick

May 1, 2012 at 11:45 pm

interesting that Pearce is so popular. For a guy who cost his team 2 important goals on the weekend.
    I’d be bringing back morabito if he was fit

• Pat

May 1, 2012 at 11:53 pm

when morabito comes back ill surely trade a cashed up rookie for him.

7. MCHammerhead

May 2, 2012 at 12:19 am

I just realised I can go:
    Fyfe -> Zaha
    and then have enough money for:
    Devon Smith -> Tom Hawkins

I’ve done it for now but i’m not sold yet.
    Pro’s
    – picking up two underpriced keepers
    – early upgrade equals more points in the long run
    – both a little unique
    Con’s
    – I don’t have Robinson
    – I would have 3 R12 keepers
    – possibly cashing in way too early (I had pencilled in Smith as a permanent bench option and he should SMASH the Suns in 2 weeks)

• 7ator

May 2, 2012 at 11:52 am

Fyfe to Zaha and then Smith to Christensen?

• MCHammerhead

May 2, 2012 at 2:26 pm

That was another I have considered but now with the news of GAJ being another few weeks might just do Fyfe -> Robinson and GAJ -> Swan

8. Albert Lloyd

May 2, 2012 at 1:47 am

WHAT HAPPENS IF HAWKINS DOESN”T KICK 6 EVERY WEEK

ruh roh

• Scott

May 2, 2012 at 6:18 am

like when he kicked 3 against the hawks and got 125?

9. FMDT

May 2, 2012 at 6:16 am

Looking for a fwd upgrade from fyfe To another premium Prob clancee pearce but can’t choose between him and sidebum

10. alexfc director of coaching

May 2, 2012 at 8:45 am

I have fyfe in forwards with no dpp links to midfield.
    So who do I get, would prefer side bottom over beams but I can have anyone I want.

11. buddy4pm

May 2, 2012 at 9:37 am

Why no love for Stevie J ?? Good price after a slow start.

• luke

May 2, 2012 at 10:39 am

cause everyone here is a muppet! i dont care wat stevie j’s break even is he will smash it this week and has an easy run for a few rounds!

• buddy4pm

May 2, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Agreed.

12. Bradley

May 2, 2012 at 10:01 am

Traded in Dayne beams for Fyfe the firt time he got injured. Pretty happy with my decision, but I have a strong feeling Beams won’t be a unique pick for long

13. 7ator

May 2, 2012 at 11:49 am

Fyfe can ride the pine this week. Im using 2 trades to get Swan in this week. Next week Fyfe will be traded to Robbo or Beams.

14. peter

May 2, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Ablett out for maybe 4 weeks THATS to long to hold get Swan

15. SiMMOZ FC

May 2, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Jack Darling?

With Kennedy’s injury might get more ball?

16. Craig Brian

May 2, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Hey Guy’s
    I’m stuck and need your advise:

Fyfe to Chappy = 1 trade

or

Fyfe to a rookie = 1 trade, take extra cash upgrade J Selwood to Swan total 2 trades

Which way to go?

17. The Seamen

May 2, 2012 at 1:37 pm

So what’s the go on smedts do I pull the trigger and bring in pfifer what do u think?

18. giants

May 2, 2012 at 3:53 pm

If you don’t have them already, I’d look at Beams, Sidebum and Robinson.

If you need a cheaper option I’d go for Danger, Higgins or Christensen.

19. Seamus

May 2, 2012 at 3:58 pm

chapman, stevie j and the tomahawk playing melbourne at the cattery should score big

20. jack

May 2, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Chapman or zaharakis?

21. Joel

May 2, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I need some advice, have absolutely no idea what to do this week! Need to lose Fyfe and I’m thinking about getting rid of Devon Smith but want to hold of on my other rookies for now, any advice would be sick! Link to my team: http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb323/DrBootstrap/DTRound6.jpg

• Marty

May 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Nice Tabs you have open.

• willm

May 2, 2012 at 5:59 pm

haha nicely spotted mate..

• Brendan

May 2, 2012 at 8:46 pm

hahahahahahahahah that is so funny, good work joely ;)

• Matt

May 3, 2012 at 12:43 am

hahahahaa good spot

• Chicken

May 2, 2012 at 5:31 pm

You have been flat out. Suprised you had time to open DTT………..

• Ike

May 2, 2012 at 6:10 pm

So much to do so little time…

• Brendan

May 3, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Just a bit of deep Asian penetration ey Joel.

22. jack

May 2, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Chappy or Zaha?????

23. Kim

May 2, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Going with pav good price. Just wondering what people think about mackie at 290k

24. Bull8

May 3, 2012 at 12:17 am

Dahlhaus, Luke $453k thinking out of the box—->>>> or out of my hea (i did cop one last WE)

25. Chris

May 3, 2012 at 10:20 am

fyfe to chapman and trading out the porpus for zaharakis seeing i have the money.

26. shadowboxer89

May 4, 2012 at 2:15 pm

thinking fyfe for sidebottom might surpise a few teams does play in midfield and in good form or go with chappy?