We hear the term awkward price bandied around a bit and it has never really made sense to me. Yes… I get the idea..and understand it, but if they are the right fit for your structure and fit in your salary cap…they aint too awkward. Rainman looks at some ‘awkward’ priced defenders.
When I think of awkward I think of the following:
- Drunkenly cracking on to a hot chick that looks vaguely familiar..then realising it is your sister
- That time you tried on your wife’s pants, just to check if they fit and mistakenly wore them to the Gym
- The “chick with the big adams apple” you picked up in Thailand
Anyway you get the drift, I hear the term awkward price bandied around a bit and it has never really made sense to me. Yes… I get the idea..and understand it, but if they are the right fit for your structure and fit in your salary cap…they aint too awkward.
Anyhoo, I thought that I would have a look at some defenders that fall into that “Awkward” $200-$300k price range and based on their numbers see whether they were the right fit
I haven’t included Hargrave or Lake… I think they have been talked up enough and I wanted to look at some players that may have not been looked at too much and spread the love to 4 players each across each bye.
I have focussed mainly on performance last season but have also included average score of any full length NAB games they have played. Obviously given the Sub structure in these games, these averages may be lower than normal (I haven’t normalised or extrapolated these scores due to TOG…I just haven’t had time). Also when referencing Projected 3 round average and BE, I have used Assistant Coach (although I love calling it Ass Coach)
When looking at 2011, a lot of these players either wore a green or red vest and for averages you will note where I have excluded them (NVA = Non Vest Average, NVG = Non Vest Games)
Players I have looked at are below.
So my rankings are as below:
1. Christian Howard -He plays for the now DT Relevant Doggies and I believe will return you a scoring range between 65-75 and will make you around $150k. Goes against my policy of picking players with 2 first names, but I am very tempted.
2. Reece Conca – I think he will have a very good year, more time in the mids or more likely on a wing should see his scores up around 80. I really don’t like the tigers early draw and would give me too many round 13 defenders, but those that remember him…and pick him will be well rewarded.
3. Mitch Golby – Had not heard about this guy a month ago, but has shown in the absence of Drummond, that Hanley is not the only run and carry player out of the back line for the Lions. Their short kicking game means that this guy could be a bolter. Ave 65-75
4. Taylor Hunt – Looks like he has bulked up a bit and is probably favourite to take Lingy’s role. May have some competition with Hogan if in the mids or perhaps Guthrie if plays back. I think he will be a consistent performer and could see a 70ish average.
5. Brodie Smith – Like most, I had this guy as a rook last year and he served me ok. Understands how to get the pill, but not sure on his JS given the crows have a few to come back. Could be worth a punt early. Ave 60-70
6. Tony Armstrong – Appeared late in the season in the Crows camp and soon became known to all. Finds the ball well. Has great numbers but hard to gauge given that we haven’t seen him pre season and playing for a new team. Ave ???
7. Jarryn Geary – Could this be his breakout year? Maybe…has shown some nice form in NAB. He looks to me like he has vest written all over him. Ave 60-70
8. Colin Garland – I am sure a few of you laughed when you saw his name…but there are worse picks out there. From what I have seen there will be a fair amount of ball in the Dees defence, with the lack of good times Grimes early…he is not the worst pick around. Ave 55-65
9. Zach Tuohy – What is it about running half back Irishmen? Kenelly, Hanley, Clarke…will we add tuohy to the list. Showed a bit late last year with a couple of stints on the ball. Will spend some time rotating through, but think the above guys are better value for money Ave 55-65
10. Brad Shepphard – Is always on my radar for some reason, but has never really performed. Like most may have some more time through the mids, but don’t think that he will set the world on fire. Ave 55-65
11. Ben Jacobs – Another guy I had last year who made me a bit of coin. He is a token Port player in the list but I do like the kid and is probably harshly scored at 11…but he wears teal…i cannot over look that. Ave 50-70
12. Tyson Goldsack – Still snigger when I say his name. Is a serviceable backman and has never been a huge DT scorer, but he is dependable and you know what you will get. Ave 50-60
So there you have it… my look at those awkward price defenders. I know that there are a few that I have excluded…but I can’t do all of the research for you!
Are you running with any of these guys or banking on G n R to take you down to Paradise City (Sorry my late teens coming out there)