Deck of Dream Team

Deck of Dream Team 2012: Joel Selwood

Here’s an Australia Day special featuring 2009-2010 All-Australian hard-ball nut Joel Selwood! He blotted his 2011 season with a 4-match suspension but returned to finish off the year on the cusp of Dream Team elitism. Surely Jelwood is one who has to be on your shortlist for 2012!

Name: Joel Selwood
Club: Geelong
Position: Midfield
Assistant Coach 2012 Price: $540,600
Bye Rounds: R12
2011 Average: 109.2
2011 Games Played: 17
Predicted Average: 117

Why should I pick him?

If Jimmy Bartel was the forgotten man of DT 2011, Joel Selwood would have to inherit that title going into DT 2012. Jelwood’s name just doesn’t seem to pop up in fantasy footy chatter as often as GAJ, Swan, Rocky and Barlow, who seem to be the popular early locks for M1-M4 possies. Not surprising though as there is a real depth of quality in midfield stocks with uniques like Murphy, Thommo, Gibbs and Redden also in the mix.

Consider this though… Selwood’s DT averages have been on a steady rise since debuting in 2007 :

2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
85 91 103 106 109

When he is on, he pumps out big scores…How about seven games of over 120 points? How about a measly five games of sub-100 points, of which only three were sub-80 (including 26 in R1)? If we take out that injury-affected score of 26 when he was subbed of in the first quarter after his big clash with Farren Ray, his average over 16 games is an elite 114!! To take that into account, if you want to get really creative with the dollars then Selwood is marginally under-priced at his $540k starting cost – a price tag of $565k would be about right for a 114 average.

While he isn’t the flashiest in-and-under player going around, he is a workhorse and is among the most consistent-scoring midfielders available, even when wearing a tight tag. At the ripe young age of 23, there is still improvement to come from the hard ball nut and 2012 should see him establish himself as an elite premo (110+ average) in his drive to win another flag. Expect his intensity to rise as he leads by example as the captain of the Geelong Cats for 2012, which should also boost his DT production this season.

Why shouldn’t I pick him?

He missed a few games due to suspension in 2011, but that was an abberration as he has played just about every game since his debut in 2007, missing just six in seasons 2007-2010. Other than that, it’s hard to put a line through his name as there are no glaring weakness in his game that would constitute a detriment to his fantasy footy appeal.

Deck of DT Rating:

ACE – Jelwood is the quintessential quiet achiever, sneaking under the radar and maintaining a relatively low profile compared to other high-flying premium midfielders. It is pretty much guaranteed that he will produce for DT coaches every week as he is always in the contest, churning out regular centuries. His consistency, high ceiling and durability make him a must-have by the end of the season. Joel Selwood is an absolute gun who is deserving of a spot in your 2012 squad!

On the tweetvine: @TeeTeeDT

1. SirJames

January 26, 2012 at 6:10 am

This little champion served me very well as captain numerous times in 2011. Captaincy will only improve the scores I think. Will have him from the start.

2. Pettiger

January 26, 2012 at 7:54 am

A champion, but very hard to fit him in at the start. An upgrade target after the byes.

• rubbers0ul

January 26, 2012 at 8:12 am

scott showed in 2011 that he enjoys resting and rotating his players – why mix with a winning formula in 2012.

initially i was hesitant to pick selwood, i mean who knows – if he didnt get rubbed out last year would he have had another rest coming into finals??

giving him more responsibility and installing him as the top cat will ensure he is not rested in 2012.

locked and loaded.

For what its worth – in the past mids are the best scorers. who cares if u miss out on cash cows. wouldnt you want 5 premo mids pumping out 600+ (700+ if one of them is your captain) plus your sixth mid as that under the radar player that averages 90 early on (see: curnow last yr) giving you approx 800 points from these 6 players.

i will be sacrificing a defence ‘premium’ and having jselwood as my 5th mid thank you very much!

• Ridley U

January 26, 2012 at 9:07 am

I am sort of agreeing with you.

This year there seems to be a lot of bargains/rooks in the backs, forwards and rucks. Might have to change my strategy from the last few years. NAB cup will tell you more on who might be back eg Lake, Hargreaves, Connors, Porps. I am seriously thinking of starting with 5 premium mids this year myself. A couple of the rookie mid’s are also listed in the forwards which will definitely help so can rotate them through into the midfield if an injury strikes one of the premiums.

Going to be interesting.

3. eeepobreci

January 26, 2012 at 8:26 am

Pre Nab Cup, it’s Barlow & Porps + $17k vs Jelwood & rook.
    Happy Australia Day peeps.

Warnie

January 26, 2012 at 8:30 am

Jelwood and rook looks much more tantalizing if we can get a decent starting rookie (possibly 180 points per week)… but playing safe, we should get 170 from Barlow and Porpz. Hmm… interesting.

I can’t wait for NAB Cup to give me some answers!

4. Adam

January 26, 2012 at 9:14 am

i want him….but theres the bloody round 12 bye

5. Gordo22

January 26, 2012 at 9:15 am

This guy was my first lock for 2012. Absolute superstar and the captaincy will definitely help his scores. Good write up

6. Henry

January 26, 2012 at 9:19 am

Locked in! :)

Too much up side and value for dollar is great.

Can see him averaging 115+

7. Lenny

January 26, 2012 at 9:37 am

Locked in!

8. Adamant

January 26, 2012 at 9:41 am

Ugh! Jelwood is such a gun and underpriced, but I cant fit him in ahead of Swan, GAJ, Rocky who I think will explode this year and an underpriced Barlow who is a ‘must have’.

9. Birdy

January 26, 2012 at 9:45 am

i will try quite hard to fit selwood in my team from the get go, however i am pretty set on starting with ablett and rocky, i also don’t want to miss the boat on barlow and i’m too scared to start without swan.. so it could be a challenge, it really depends on which rookies step up in the nab cup

10. Bandicoot

January 26, 2012 at 9:54 am

Jelwood is certainly on my radar, particularly since being named captain.
    The only way he can get into my squad though, is by replacing Murphy.
    They are obviously both guns and will both perform but WHICH ONE???

• Henry

January 26, 2012 at 9:57 am

Selwood in my opinion. Murphy didn’t finish off the season that well from a DT persepctive, and Selwood has a much higher ceiling (178 vs 148)

11. dools

January 26, 2012 at 9:59 am

locked, loaded and more than happy that many teams are overlooking him :0)

12. Blunty

January 26, 2012 at 10:12 am

Love the bloke but have been looking at Scotty Thompson instead recently

13. Aidan

January 26, 2012 at 10:14 am

Swanny or jelwood?

14. tkol

January 26, 2012 at 10:21 am

Some VERY interesting comments from some very smart people on this post!
    Take note!

15. Ethan Prince

January 26, 2012 at 10:25 am

jelwood

16. mtooler

January 26, 2012 at 10:35 am

Just be aware late in the season Selwood was given a high half forward/ forward pocket game from a coach that totally *&^% me over with Bartel and his new role in 2011. We’ll see what happens and I’d hate people going for overall to experience a Bartelgate Mark II. ;)

He’s great for free for’s as his head attracts swinging limbs and kill shots magnetically. He is also one of the more likely perpetrators for onfield cheapshot/brainfades that I watch going round.

• Sully23

January 26, 2012 at 11:03 am

Can’t see him going forward as captain myself, maybe to rest but kicking goals is better than sitting on the bench!

17. rainman

January 26, 2012 at 10:54 am

Selwood, Pendles, Murphy and Ablett locked for me. Risk going no Swan, but banking on Pendles. Really contemplating Sloane as 5th mid and sacrificing 1 down back.

• Sully23

January 26, 2012 at 11:06 am

Between pendles and ablett you should surely have a decent captain every week. Nice picks btw :)

18. Sully23

January 26, 2012 at 11:09 am

Damn I was hoping nobody would highlight the fact that he actually would’ve averaged 114 without being knocked out round 1. Now that he’s captain should definitely raise that average, locked!

19. tuppy

January 26, 2012 at 11:11 am

now rainmain is talking my language,im right with him on this one

• rainman

January 26, 2012 at 7:58 pm

LOL.. tuppy… Finally we can communicate… Hehe.. Think Pendles will absolutely smash it this year!

20. Noodles71

January 26, 2012 at 11:16 am

what about sam mitchell?

21. Birdy

January 26, 2012 at 11:22 am

on second thoughts, maybe rocky should make way for selwood. this would mean i would be able to cash in tom mitchell before his bye for rockliff, because there aren’t alot of other premo options who have the first bye other than thommo boyd and redden who i am not as keen on, the hange in the magic number will hopefully keep rocky’s price down as his scoring increases..

does this make sense?

• mtooler

January 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I doubt mitchell will play this year, and if he does I reckon he’ll be sub.

22. tigesboy13

January 26, 2012 at 11:27 am

GAJ, Rockliff, Thommo, Barlow & either Pendles or Jelwood…
    Hmmm Pendles or Jelwood???????? Someone make the decision for me!

23. Reprobates

January 26, 2012 at 11:38 am

Swan, Selwood, Thompson, Ablett locked in

24. Judd005

January 26, 2012 at 11:59 am

Im torn!
    I have enough cash to swap Barlow for Jelwood, do I keep Barlow or put Jelwood in….Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• toasted

January 26, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I am in the same quandary. I cant have Selwood and Barlow because of the round 12 bye. Barlow represents value but will be get to 110 average which I would expect from a premium mid. Selwood will be a premium no question asked but at around 110k more. I am leaning towards Selwood; just!

25. Ronaldo

January 26, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Love to see a varied combination of premium midfielders, although pretty much all have four/five of Swan, Ablett, Thompson, Murphy, Rockliff, Selwood, Barlow and Gibbs. Just goes to show how much people look to DT Talk for advice as all these players have been covered in deck of dt.

For me, I like Selwood, he was one of my awesome mids last year, but this year I can see more upside potential in Barlow and Rockliff, and Swan and Ablett are gonna gun it again. No point wasting a midfield spot on Selwood, however when rookie prices skyrocket around the bye rounds I’m going to look at getting one of Selwood, Murphy or other players dominating at that time asap.

26. wcarey

January 26, 2012 at 12:28 pm

In my team at some stage later. Just not from the start

27. giants

January 26, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Selwood will finish the year top three with Swan and Ablett IMO.

• Brappinalong

January 26, 2012 at 2:05 pm

He’ll go very close to that.

28. McScoundrel

January 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm

If Geelong are top of the ladder at the season’s end with an unassailable lead or can’t improve their position going into the finals, I think he’ll be one of the first ones rested. Not in my starting team because of the bye rounds – I’m only prepared to “rest” 2 defs or 1 def, 1 for.

• Judd005

January 26, 2012 at 1:52 pm

so what by that time you’ll be so far behind if you use that as your guide to not picking prems. That is a silly reason not to pick someone. DT starts in round 1 not 20

• McScoundrel

January 26, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Uh…he’s not in my team because of clashes with other midfield premiums in the bye rounds Juddo. But you’re right on the job here!

29. Brappinalong

January 26, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Selwood wont be starting in my mids purely because of my premo bye strategy – he shares it with Swan and Pendles. He will be in there after his bye and my mids will look like… Swan,Pendles,GAJ,Murphy,Selwood and Thommo. Haha if all goes to plan…

Happy Australia day DT Talk crew :)

• spudda057

January 26, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Team Name: KILLER NUGGETS

DEF: B. Goddard, B. Deledio, G. Broughton, B. Waters, B. Lake, B. Ellis, L. Spurr (S. Morris, B.Wilkes)

MID: D. Swan, G. Ablett, T. Rockliff, J. Selwood, S. Coniglio, K. Stevens (D. Shiel, D. Pfeiffer)

RUC: M. Luenberger, S. Mumford (O. Stephenson, J. Giles)

FWD: L. Franklin, N. Fyfe, D. Zaharakis, D. Martin, J. Porplyzia, D. Zorko, A. Treloar (T. Milera, B. Smedts)

Rem. Salary Cap: $33,300

Just a rough team I put together and I really want to fit Barlow in my mids but dont know how.
      Any suggestions would be great !!

• AzzDawg

January 26, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I like it but keep an eye on your byes.. thats if you care about them

• Ronaldo

January 26, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Post that somewhere else mate

30. Reece Utd

January 26, 2012 at 10:13 pm

IMO premos such as J.Selwood, S.Thompson, M.Murphy, S.Mitchell will all average around the 110 mark and can pick any to fill the 3rd/4th mid position. Personally I am leaning toward Thompson and Murphy. But I think Selwood will be a beast this year but will have to work harder for touches and murphy and thompson will pick up a lot of cheaper points. I think there are a lot of quality mids this year and at the mome its a coin flip who to pick. I may change to selwwod prior to round 1.

31. the-zohan

January 28, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I need to pick 2 out of Selwood, Murphy and Rocky. I’m in struggle town!! any ideas? Rocky is better for structure (byes)

• stew42

January 30, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Selwood and Rocky, definitely

32. stew42

January 30, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I am tossing up between Selwood and Rocky. Rocky could explode and average 115+, but I feel that Selwood is a safer choice as an established footballer who has some experience with a tag and whom I believe will benefit from being El Capitano (ala Boyd). Ok then, there’s my question answered, thanks guys!