Deck of Dream Team

Deck of Dream Team 2012: Jack Redden

Jack Redden is a star and is on the verge of stepping into the elite Dream Teamer class. He is coming off a break out year and looks a sure thing to continue his progress in a developing Lion team. After such an outstanding year, this proud member of the RedRock combo comes at a price, so the only real question is, does he fit your structure? Because all other boxes looked to be ticked.

• Roy

Name: Jack Redden
Club: Brisbane Lions
Position: Midfield
Assistant Coach Price: $540,100
Bye Round: 11
2011 Average: 109.2
2011 Games Played: 22
Predicted Average: 115

Why should I pick him? Jack Redden is an absolute jet, and last year was the perfect example of the 3rd year breakout rule. In his first 2 years, Reddo definitely showed he was going to be a star, averaging 67 and 79 before improving on that by a massive 30 points per game in 2011. Jack is a hard worker who is always eager to make a contest which is reassuring from a coach’s perspective because there is nothing worse than watching your players when they seem disinterested. Throughout last year, Jack proved to be a good ball winner, usually collecting around 25 possessions per game but it was his elite tackling that made him the star DT performer we have today. Last year there was only 3 occasions where Jack managed less than 5 tackles and his good days more than made up for it, laying more than 12 tackles in 5 contests. Testament to his hard work, Reddo consistently racks up an impressive number of marks, totaling 119 for the season. When studying the byes, Brisbane avoid many of the popular premiums from other teams, making his selection attractive to those chasing the car.

Why shouldn’t I pick him? The only real reason I could say not to pick Reddo is if he doesn’t fit into your structure. After such an outstanding year, he is now priced above big names such as Scott Thompson (who has been blessed with a very easy draw), the ever reliable Matt Priddis and returning hero Micheal Barlow. Another reason you may not pick Jack is if you decide to select his partner in crime Rockliff. As much as we would all love to have the RedRock combo, the bye is a big spanner in the works.

Deck of DT Rating: King. With popular belief that Brisbane will improve considerably this year, there is no reason Jack won’t naturally follow that progression and become one of the elite Dream Teamers in the competition. An advantage he holds for a developing superstar is that he is not in immediate danger of copping a tag due to the likes of big ball winners Black and Rockliff, or the dangerous Rich copping the most attention. When I asked his mate Rockliff how Reddo was tracking in pre season he said “going very well! Needs to stop worrying about his hair and he will be fine”.

Follow me on Twitter: @RoyDT

1. MAZMIA

January 17, 2012 at 6:06 am

Great write up. But rocky is already locked

2. Pettiger

January 17, 2012 at 6:30 am

Good one Roy. As above, already have The Rock penciled in.

3. Reprobates

January 17, 2012 at 7:01 am

Gone for Thompson instead

4. Gozzie

January 17, 2012 at 7:21 am

Hey Roy, great write up. Like most people I’m also locked on the Rock atm, which is probably going to make Jack a good ‘unique’ premo.

I’m guessing ‘king’, but can you throw the rating in to take out the guess work?

5. GrandOldFlag

January 17, 2012 at 7:31 am

As many others have said, Rockliff first.

6. adzman

January 17, 2012 at 8:06 am

gone for thommo with the easy draw…. .. , cant sqeeze redman in.

• troy

January 17, 2012 at 8:25 am

this guy is a Jet, but Thompson for me, i would probably have Mitchell before him also.

7. Birdy

January 17, 2012 at 8:24 am

and the rating is? haha.. just give him an ace… great write up

8. Roy

Roy

January 17, 2012 at 8:39 am

whoops, thanks fellas!! All hail KING Reddo!!

9. Dr Bones

January 17, 2012 at 8:41 am

Locked and loaded. For now….

10. Mitch

January 17, 2012 at 9:10 am

I’m a brissy boy and I literally go to the gabba to watch this jet. Will definitely feature in my team throughout the season. Awesome stuff Roy!
    Cheers

11. jono2707

January 17, 2012 at 9:16 am

Was a ripper for me last year – loaded but not yet locked for 2012, with only his price a possible factor.

12. Shazzam66

January 17, 2012 at 9:35 am

I had Redden last year and he was an absolute tackling machine!

I’ve sort of already got my mids set in Swan/Ablett/Thompson & Barlow.

Could be a nice upgrade option once the byes are done, although if he performs the same as last year he will probably hold his price pretty well.

13. Shez

January 17, 2012 at 9:49 am

Still disappointed I didn’t have the balls to go with him when I thought he’d do well last year.

This just makes me think about that mid-priced player who could potentially break-out this year, but who will it be? van Berlo, Trengove, Hartlett, Sloane, Shuey, etc?

• Brappinalong

January 17, 2012 at 11:41 am

While the Crow’s mids are not as well known as other big guns in even bigger clubs, get on them as they will raise a few eyebrows next year.

14. swanlow36

January 17, 2012 at 10:21 am

What a gun and should I go with him or Rock?

15. Bandicoot

January 17, 2012 at 11:36 am

Structure is for 4 gun mids. With GAblett, Murph, Thommo and Barlow pretty well locked there is no room for any more.

16. dools

January 17, 2012 at 11:42 am

he’s a lock for me

17. Semisonic

January 17, 2012 at 11:55 am

Another day another deck article raising questions.

I had this guy pencilled in for the start of last year and sold my mate on him before bitching out last second. My mate rode this guys scores all year and let me know about it. It still stings.

This year my gut has Jelwood in that third spot. But after reading this and knowing what I already missed out on I’m confused. Want both but can’t afford it.

Spose this is why the deck is here. Well played.

18. ProudLion1991

January 17, 2012 at 12:02 pm

lock n load

19. Gozzie

January 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Hey Roy, who would you nominate out of Red & Rock??????

With the bye most people can only really take one – who to choose?

Reddan’s tackling, and his uniqueness with most (including me) going with Rockliff; combined with how the occasional tag on the Rock (which the Red will never get) will affect his overall. It all has me unsure.

You’ve been keeping tabs on their pre-season – waddayaRedRocken??

• Henry

January 17, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Rockliff is the better footballer, but as you say, this means Rockliff could get the tag over Redden, and thus Redden’s scores flourish even more.

I’m going with Rockliff still just as I have more confidence in Rocky Pumping out larger scores (115+).

J Selwood gets the nod over Redden for that 3rd Premium mid spot.

• Gozzie

January 17, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Yeah, I’m with you on Jelwood, and I think I’ll stay with Rocky, even though Reddan is just so consistent.

Agree with Mitchie too, such articles would be great. An added factor of comparison is players from the same bye round that are competing for 1 or 2 spots on a given line – eg. Red/Rock/Thommo/VB/Sloane/Boyd/Shuey/Gaff/etc.

By-the-Bye-will-I-die-Bye-&-Bye – so I could certainly use some advice, as they dictate your structure so much more than even last year with all the bye/MBR issues.

20. mitchie

January 17, 2012 at 9:24 pm

i think an article comparing players in similar positions vying for the same spot in peoples teams, like a redden vs rockliffe vs thomson vs murphy article would be awesome

21. tigesboy13

January 17, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Going for murphy instead at this stage!
    Great write-up though!!