DT TALK

The Jack Grimes and Ed Curnow Trades

There’s a heap of coaches who are in the same position as me… even if they are ranked a whole heap higher – hey, it’s pretty cool being in the 19,000’s. So what are we going to do with Jack Grimes who is out for the season and Ed Curnow who will be missing at least a couple of games.

Sunday saw Jack Grimes go down with a foot injury for only 6 points… if that didn’t hurt enough, we later find out his injury sits him out for the year The “T” button is waiting for us. On Monday night, Ed Curnow looked very sore when he was tackled and injured his shoulder. He went off the ground, with a bit of help from Montagna, and came back but was soon after given the red vest. He finished with only 13 points and it sounds like he will miss 3-4 weeks. With the bye this week, it could be 2-3 games.

So what do we do?

Trading Grimes is a given. He’s out for the season so no matter what you are thinking, he’s gotta go. Curnow is a different story. He is likely to miss at least 3 matches in my opinion. Could be more. So, I think it’s time to trade. He has got himself to $279,800 and while he could have been a ‘keeper’ in our side, he is able to be cashed in for close to $200K! Thanks for coming!

What makes the two of these on the trade table interesting is what we might be able to do to our sides.

OPTION 1: Downgrade Curnow, Upgrade Grimes

This option would be the ‘traditional’ option. To at least sideways trade Grimes (although he is now down to $306,500), you will get a decent scoring back. For about $100K, you can get whoever you want. Bryce Gibbs would be a great get, although he has the bye this week and most coaches have him. Try looking at someone who has been going alright of late and who has already had their bye. For me, Heath Shaw is a fantastic option for $50K more. Brady Rawlings has been spoken about by a few and would be a unique option. Remember he has a bye in the DT finals. Downgrading Curnow is interesting. Isaac Smith is the obvious choice at the moment for his Dual Position availability. As a MID/FWD to slot on your bench, he should do his job – and hopefully stay in the side for a few weeks!

OPTION 2: Downgrade Grimes, Upgrade Curnow

This option really excites me as my backs have been awful this year and I might as well take what a rookie dishes up to me. I’m missing out by not having Matthew Boyd and Scott Pendlebury in my midfield. So the downgrade of Grimes could go to Paul Puopolo or maybe Cameron Pedersen. I already have Michael Hibberd there (hopefully he gets a gig this week) for his DPP and I will place on my radar Ben Jacobs (also a DEF/MID) who could get a game this week. With the $200K we’re making off downgrading Grimes, we can turn Curnow into whoever we want. At the end of the day, the extra midfield points there will outweigh the playing of a defender rookie for a few weeks. We would be looking to upgrade one or two of those cheaper defenders soon anyway.

OPTION 3: Sideways Trade Both

Ugh. This doesn’t really appeal to me much at all, but is less risky. There are plenty that you would be ‘happy’ with for Grimes, but sideways for Curnow? Uh, no. You would at least be wanting to use some cash in your bank to get him up to someone at least $350K+ to make it a worthwhile trade. Uh, pass.

OPTION 4: Trade Grimes, Hold Curnow

This could be a unique strategy. Curnow has been a proven scorer. Before his injury, he was probably a keeper in your side… even at the very least as a reliable 7th midfielder. If he is only missing two games (best case scenario), then you would consider it a smart move. Unfortunately, there is a lot of benefit in using the trades of both Grimes and Curnow as a way to improve your squad.

OPTION 5: Upgrade both Curnow and Grimes

Yeah, good onya Mr Money-bags. We would all be doing this if we could. Piss off and make your team awesome…

So, what are you looking at doing? Make sure you tune into DT TALK LIVE tonight as we will discuss what we are doing with Grimes and Curnow in depth. That is from 6pm AEST right here on dreamteamtalk.com.

Please note: The DT Stock Market article isn’t here this week due to illness. Get well soon Aki!

1. YPJ

May 12, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I’ve got enough money to go GRIMES to ADCOCK

• YPJ

May 12, 2011 at 1:16 pm

And CURNOW to PENDLES.

Thoughts?

• mattyb

May 12, 2011 at 1:26 pm

whats to think about?

• kelonwheels

May 12, 2011 at 1:51 pm

My thoughts are you just needed to tell somebody.

• YPJ

May 12, 2011 at 2:14 pm

My thoughts are that you’re huge. Just asking if people think it’s good, you stain…

2. mattyb

May 12, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Upgrading Curnow to Boyd, Pendles or Selwood. Who is better value at their current price and schedule ahead?

3. Subterfuge

May 12, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Never picked Grimes. Started with the Adcock, Heppell, Gibbs, Goddard, Deledio Combo.
    Will probably upgrade Curnow to Mitchell once I downgrade my next cashcow in the next round or 2. The next two backmen I am looking at are Shaw and Fisher, but prefer to upgrade other areas first.

4. Pugsiadly

May 12, 2011 at 1:31 pm

This is a bit odd, and something I’d never normally do but I’m in a tight spot.

I need to trade Grimes this week really, and am only going for league win (ranked about 7k).

There are no premiums I don’t have that I want to get in at the moment, and no decent rookies with good scoring potential and job security.

This means I’ve been looking sideways – Suckling, Pratt, Kennelly, Harbrow… None of these guys seem likely to light it up either and become a keeper before finals.

So now I’m thinking of possibly getting in Lukle Thompson (Crows) or Alex Johnson (Swans). Even though they’ve had a couple of price rises, they both have good job security it seems, and will rise a bit more whilst not scoring much less than those mid-price shitters.

What are people’s thoughts? I’m leaning towards Thompson, but mighttake a punt on Ben Jacobs if he’s named because all reports are the kid’s a gun!

• albertproudftw

May 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm

no puopolo?

• Pugsiadly

May 12, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Waiting another week on him mate because of Suckling’s return – if he goes ok this week and gets named again next week he’s in

• vends

May 12, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Waiting on teams at 5pm re Johnson myself… a bit of conjecture about his JS/role in the team with LRT’s return. But swans fans seem to be generally happy with his performance so far and there’s hope he can stay on….
      If he’s named, it’s otten to Johnson for me, for mids upgrades later.

My question is about Grimes to R Murphy…. scoring solidly but sideways trade and is he just too injury prone? What are the chances he’ll be put forward more and how might it affect his scoring? It’s all a big mystery.

5. feathers

May 12, 2011 at 1:35 pm

is Tendai Mzungu going to be any good? or is he just hype because he’s a DPP?

• Albert Lloyd

May 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Went pretty well in the pre-season.

• Big Feller

May 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Looked ripped on the training track the other day, chopped up in the WAFL last year and scored well in the NAB Cup. I personally think he’ll make the transition but difficult to say what his impact will be this year with so much time off the park so far.

• John lawrence

May 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I saw alot of mzungu in the Wafl last year, he reads the ball very well. worth the punt imo.

6. Farthers

May 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm

My mids are currently. Watson, Pendles, Boyd, A Swallow, Harris, Curnow. Em: Prestia, Bewick, Hibberd. Currently have 216k to play with. Could go Curnow to Swan next week (or in a couple of weeks) after Swan’s price has dropped a bit. Or maybe wait to see how Isacc smith is going after this week and downgrade Curnow giving me 400k to upgrade in my fwd line or backs. I have swapped prestia with Harvey in case none of my bench players are playing.

• albertproudftw

May 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm

you have to way up is DPP more important than bench cover? i would rather have a deep bench and no DPP

• Farthers

May 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Maybe. I’m not sure what happened to Prestia. Bewick seems to be off the injury list so hopefully he will play. Could also move Heppel into the mids and put Thompson or Lower on field. DPP has been pretty helpful so far.

• albertproudftw

May 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm

yeah its definately helpful but i also think that people overlook the best possible option for a DPP player so thats effectively saying that DPP is worth X amount of points but it definately is useful especially for the multi bye rds

7. albertproudftw

May 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm

anyone tempted with jared brennan instead of gaz? simmilar average and apart from brennans rd 1 stinker he has been solid. he is also DPP which is handy. im going to wait till after the bye but seeing as everyone is going to jump on ablett maybe i should be an indie

• Albert Lloyd

May 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I haven’t heard anyone around here planning to get GAblett in.

Nor Brennan either for that matter, I’m tempted by him in his new surroundings though.

• albertproudftw

May 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm

i though it was one of the definate trades get gazza in after price drop and last bye but maybe im wrong. i think if i choose any GC guns it will be brennan although he can go cold he has an x factor and will win you games

• tkol

May 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm

A hard tag each week and no protection from the kids means that Sweet Merciful Jesus is dead in DT circles!
          Sweet Merciful Jesus is the greatest to have ever played this game!
          May he rest in DT peace!

• JollyDickKrakouerWood

May 12, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Can you and tkol answer my latest reply further up?
      Need answers please!

• albertproudftw

May 12, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Yeah did for u mate. Hope it helps

8. kennyskillers

May 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm

First time guys. I’m gonna go grimes/ puopolo and dangerfield/pendles. Will at least make me feel a bit better about the loss of grimes. Go d/s.

• Innocent Criminals

May 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Fair trades Kenny, and Pendles is obviously a good pick.

There’s not many good downgrade targets in the backline at the moment.

Puopolo is the only downgrade I’ve made so far (swapped Otten for him last week), and my problem is I want to downgrade Grimes but don’t really fancy any other defender rookies at this stage – hopefully Ben Jacobs soon or Hibberd if he ever gets a game

In order to solve the Grimes and Curnow dilemmas, I think we really need to turn to ‘Bernie the Bad Trade Beaver’ for advice. Is it too early in the season to wheel him out?

9. the-real-zohan

May 12, 2011 at 2:17 pm

hmmmmmm Mitchel vs Watson for my final mid spot. (next week’s trade)

• Gerryboy

May 12, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Mitchell, he has GC in week 24, DT Final….Watson misses week 24 with the bye

• Albert Lloyd

May 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Interesting!

Good find, thanks.

10. Big Feller

May 12, 2011 at 2:26 pm

What about Bryce Retzlaff as a downgrade target?

I know he only scored 46 but you’d have to think that Vossy’s gonna play the kids for the rest of the year – thoughts?

• Innocent Criminals

May 12, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Yep, definitely looking at him, and that kid from Sydney.

• bombers2011

May 12, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Alex Johnson from Sydney is a good pick, dpp with fwd and gets a bit of it, I got him last week.

• cunyclan

May 12, 2011 at 3:02 pm

yeah like he kept playing mcauly

• leetrevor81

May 12, 2011 at 3:45 pm

and the other one, Polec?

11. Brock

May 12, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Pretty much sold on downgrading Grimes to Hibberd/Puopolo/Jacobs depending on who is named. Then going Curnow to Pendles. Although Selwood (70) has a lower BE than Pendles (102) who has the bye coming up so might be smarter to get Selwood this week and Pendles in Round 14. Thoughts?

Then looking at upgrading Otten to Enright (BE 105) next week after he hopefully sheds a bit of coin.

• Noodles71

May 12, 2011 at 6:52 pm

North, Geelong, Carlton & Essendon players – no,no,no & no.
      You will end up with too many and they have the bye in finals.
      Remember you have to trade out the ones you have already in finals.
      Rawlings has a bye, Enright has a bye, you don’t really want Gibbs and another CFC, Heppell & Hibberd in a lot of teams.
      I’d swing towards Adcock or at a stretch Heath Shaw. They have both burnt me before though!

• Blue boys

May 12, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Noodles, you will need some players from these sides otherwise you probably wont make finals. I agree you dont want too many……….but think the keys point will be to have a quality bench player on each line.

• Brappinalong

May 12, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Pfffttttttt…back yourself in!!! I’m loading up on Geelong players as I’m going to have their round off and go straight through (or already be out) hehe

• chappalenkoubeauty

May 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Get Selwood and Pendles rd14. Selwood is killing it.
      Unfortunately, I have a bit of window dressing to do b4 I can get him in, but he will be part of the chappalenko family b4 long.

12. dt_tragic

May 12, 2011 at 2:52 pm

i must be the only person ranked in the top 150 not to have either grimes or curnow!! very happy.

• Ike

May 12, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Probably the reason you are in the top 150 I’m guessing….

• Rydo

May 12, 2011 at 7:36 pm

What a dumb thing to say! How can you support that comment?? There is no better rookie than Curnow and Grime’s AVG was up there with the best backs before his 6. Surely you can’t be suggesting that dt_tragic is in the top 150 because he looked into his crystal ball and new they were going to be injured!?!

• i miss bastinac

May 12, 2011 at 9:42 pm

ditto! ill back him for the car!

• DT Tragic

May 12, 2011 at 9:54 pm

cant believe you stole my log in name…

13. chewylizard

May 12, 2011 at 2:52 pm

After hearing from people who spoke to Ben Jacobs last night at a members night, he WILL play this week… Apparently :)

• Albert Lloyd

May 12, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Awesome.

I’m FINALLY GETTING RID OF BROUGHTON

Hellooooooo Mr Jacobs

• Gerryboy

May 12, 2011 at 3:56 pm

hope this is not another bloody rumour!!

• Rydo

May 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Play could also mean as a sub…

14. Billz

Billz

May 12, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Im going to downgrade Grimes-Puopolo. This will give me 330k in the bank and allow me to go BANG next week and finish my mids by going Pittard-Premium and being 1 off completing my fwds by going Matera-Premium. Although my backs will be weaker than some with only 5 keppers (including heppell) i will only have 3 upgrades left to do and by the time i upgrade my final two backs it should be clearer who the best options down back will be.

15. Mondi23

May 12, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I took option 1..

I see no mention of Jed Adcock, thats who I “upgraded” or “sideways traded” to. I did wrestle with either Heath Shaw or Cory Enright but felt I had too many cats and pies in my side… Is there anyone who thinks this was a good decision? make me feel better!!!

• :P

May 12, 2011 at 4:08 pm

guess he assumed everyone had adcock, like delidio

• Noodles71

May 12, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Good call, and the others have byes in finals.

16. :P

May 12, 2011 at 4:12 pm

definetly option 2
    Heath Shaw hurt me last year so im not going there again
    and no other defenders look any good
    Option one looks good cause puopolo or hibberd will definetly go well
    and i dont have pendles

17. Ramrod

May 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Went Grimes > Kennelly. Already have most of the solid rookies in the backline so there’s no one else I’d consider downgrading to, and its not really worth upgrading a back.

Curnow gets benched this week, as I don’t have the cash this week to do a proper upgrade, and there’s no downgrade targets on the bubble yet so a week won’t change anything. Might have a better idea of his injury by then too.

18. robdog57

May 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm

anyone thinking Grimes to Johncock?
    a bit left field but….

• Ike

May 12, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Too left field for my liking, will give you a decent rollercoaster ride if thats what your into!

• James2911

May 12, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Johncock is one of the most committed backmen, and basically carried the Crows last week, but unfortunately this skill set doesn’t reap him large DT scores.

• Blue boys

May 12, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I must have watched a different game last week cause i thought Johncock was shit……..gave away frees for deliberate out of bounds and didn’t look his usual composed self down back.
        Maybe cause they have inexperienced back line and ball was pumped in regularly……….Rutten was fairly ordinary as well imo.
        Not to say Stiffy wont do okay though as reasonable history in last couple of years.

19. fingers1

May 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I have given up on chasing the car after two awful weeks so concentrating on league! First time dream teamer! Thinking of these trades for next two weeks
    Grimes to pop
    Mckenzie to mundy
    Then next week
    Prestia to smith
    Stanly to caruzzo

20. Gambitt

May 12, 2011 at 5:14 pm

i feel like Enright is due for a big one, if you look at his stats he scores well when geelong struggle due to the ball being down his end alot, and when geelong demolish sides (like last week) the ball isnt in his half.

SO playing collingwood means he should be pumping out 100 no worries…

the only problem is I used this same rationale last week to bring in chapman and make him captain predicting a 150. doh!

• Ramrod

May 12, 2011 at 5:25 pm

He scored 148, so almost there.
      Oh, you mean without doubling it. Yeah I had the same.

21. Hislop5

May 12, 2011 at 5:56 pm

STUCK.

should i trade grimes to rawlings or to adcock ?

STUCK.

• Ike

May 12, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I’d go Adcock, seems to have lifted a notch with extra responsibility this year. Plus he isn’t really as injury prone as say a Drummond, I don’t think he deserves that tag…

• Noodles71

May 12, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Adcock, Rawlings has bye in finals.

22. Ike

May 12, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I think I’ll be bringing in Jacobs or Hibberd, if Hibb is named that is. I like the DPP status as I have Gibbs/Hepp in the mids, I’d rather bolster my defence. Then maybe Duigan to Carrots next week. Should sort my defence out…

With the mids, not sure yet about Curnow, two taped shoulders – only Judd can pull off that look and still be a decent player!! Might have to upgrade to someone big – maybe Boyd as don’t have any doggies apart from Little Lib. I do want to get in Chappy, DPP status is something I like, I am liking Smith too for that reason. Ah the decisions…. all about the timing, might hold off getting rid of Grimes for a week – sounds silly but will wait for the right trade as not sold on Rawlings, Pratt, Fisher and Shaw…

23. Doc

May 12, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Grimes to ben jacobs, curnow to swan?? midfield atm redden swallow boak cross curnow & harris/bewick.

24. My Mates

May 12, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Thoughts on Grimes to Rob Murphy?

25. broaja4

May 12, 2011 at 7:49 pm

hey boys,

simple question! who should i trade in out of J Bartel, J Selwood or S Mitchell

• PurpleArmy

May 12, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Selwood….easy. cheap as chips right now

26. Lemonator

May 12, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Option 4 for me: Traded Grimes for Rawlings, and keeping Curnow, hes putting up good scores. Instead i traded roo to roo ( N>J)

• rocklobster

May 12, 2011 at 8:18 pm

sideways much?

27. knickers

May 12, 2011 at 8:25 pm

This trade was/is a little suspect…but…Working from the idea that Heppell is playing well enough to be a defensive keeper (but not a mid keeper) I traded Grimes for Buckley, then swapped heppell for Buckley. Putting Heppell on the field as a keeper, and Buckley on the bench. This created enough cash to turn Curnow into Boyd.

28. DaTBird187

May 12, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Grimes > Ben Jacobs
    Daniel Harris > Paul Chapman

But I will probably wait a week or two. I have cover and have used too many trades as it is. Haha

29. hoypoloy

May 12, 2011 at 9:07 pm

with toy and harris out i am forced to trade both curnow and grimes out just to stop getting any big zeros this week. im not keen on downgrading to rookies that havent played at least 2 games. ive got a lazy $80,000 lying around. had a lot of thought on it and come up with this.

grimes-taylor
    curnow-mitchell

harry taylor is a dodgy choice but has a BE of 13, and a big score of 115 against st kilda in rd 1 this yr. last 2 games have been OK with 74 and 81. cats play pies and blues next 2 games so the backs will be busy. hes already dropped $75,000 this year and has bottomed out in price. i hope…

sam mitchell is a gun, has had a bye, has 2 games against GC to come, and plays GC in DT final. enough said.

any thoughts??

30. Bolverk

May 12, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Got Shaw for Grimes and Jacobs for Curnow. Got plenty of cover, so not really expecting to need Jacobs to play. With the money, can upgrade Liberatore to anybody next week.

I play 6 of the 7 other likely finalists over the next 7 weeks, having already lost to the top team, so I don’t have the luxury of patience if I’m to stay in the running. On the plus side, I have the bottom four teams in the last four games.

31. Gerbilnator

May 12, 2011 at 11:11 pm

aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Dont know what to do…..

Thinking of sideways for Grimes to Suckling or Pratt. Pretty strong backline and that will lift the avg there anyway..

Dunno anything about this pratt guy though?? Anyone shed some light?????

Then upgrade Curnow to either…..

Pendles…… may drop in price a bit more though and was planning sideways for watson closer to the DT finals
    or
    Mitchell….. Gun and minimal variation week to week…
    or
    Chappy…. Out in the finals and not convinced of his form

Can some decide for me? It would be so much easier

32. briby

May 12, 2011 at 11:53 pm

I went Grimes to Pratt
    Curnow to Mundy
    Need a win this week

33. stueben

May 13, 2011 at 12:59 am

hey guys, just want to get your thoughts on these trades im considering:

Grimes —- > Rawlings
    Curnow —- > Watson (Not enough cash for swanny or pendles)

34k left in the bank.

what do ya reckon?

34. Chartreuse

May 13, 2011 at 9:11 am

Prestia not playing AGAIN and has bye next week. I might as well ditch him before Curnow.

35. Glybo

May 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I went a little different.
    Had 129k in bank so went Grimes to Shaw and Curnow to Kerr to be a little different and with a BE of 8 he will go up. I have been watching Kerr closely and think he has been getting better and better since coming back from injury. Time will tell if the risk pays off.