DT TALK

Don’t get too attached to your team this preseason

I’m loving spending time making my sweet arse Dream Team at the moment. However, injuries, suspensions, etc are giving me headaches already. I’m starting to feel like it’s not worth ‘locking’ a team in until maybe a week before the AFL season starts.

I, like just about every other Dream Team coach here signed up to DT on February 1 and had a team locked in within the first day. Since then we have been tweaking parts of it as we learn more about the different players and their roles in 2011.

I’m a little over it actually!

I have been happy with what I’ve got at the moment. With a fairly general ‘Guns N Rookies’ team, I’ve been able to get the premiums I have wanted and am confident with the rookies I’ve selected. But just about every day, sh*t hits the fan. Early in the preseason, everyone would have had Ben Jacobs as a DEF/MID link. From there, more and more players who have been on the radar have gone down with injury or suspension – or may not be quite the ‘bargain’ they seem.

Drew Petrie has screwed with my head. His Round 1 suspension, coupled with his Round 3 bye has him now out of the Warne Dawgs. It’s an interesting dilemma as there aren’t many blokes who are capable of averaging 80+ priced under $210K. You should have cover for him in those first 3 rounds… because you wouldn’t be picking any bench players who WON’T be playing. The GC bye in Round 1 will hurt a bit there. For me, I won’t be selecting him.

Another worry for my structure is the 6-10 week bicep injury to Ian Callinan. The mature age recruit has massively f**ked with my structure. He was locked as my 9th midfielder and due to his MID/FWD eligibility, was a very handy selection to provide the DPP link for only $80K. I was toying with the idea of starting 3 ‘rookies’ on the field. With less players to have faith in, I will be probably changing that idea. Maybe Jarrad Irons from Port Adelaide is a midfielder worth keeping an eye on to replace Callinan at that price. Watch this space.

Every cloud has a silver lining and hopefully for Callinan and our Dream Teams, he can be a good mid-season downgrade target. If we see him in about Round 7-8, then we will be all over him being a guy at basement price to cash in one of our rookies with.

The Crows copped a few injuries in their NAB Challenge game against the Blues. While Tippet wasn’t in my calculations, it may just open the door for Shaun McKernan or Daniel Talia. Bah, but who knows?!

There is a part of me that wants a lot of these ‘gimme’ picks go down to make people think a bit more and force us to be a bit more unique. The Fantasy Freako is a great read and it’s true value will be in 2 weeks time when all NAB Cup/Challenge scores are done… which again makes me think it’s not worth touching my team until I receive the last mailout?!

Next week’s NAB Challenge matches will be interesting to follow as it’s the last hitout for clubs before the season starts. Traditionally most teams have gone in with their best 22 in these games. That info will be priceless. But that’s still a week away!

So, I’m not getting too attached to my team at the moment. I know there are more and more bad things around the corner. Injuries, suspensions and the fact that we aren’t seeing ‘official’ teams as yet will throw a lot of things up.

Don’t forget, we will be coming at you LIVE on Thursday night at 8pm EDT in a Special DT TALK Event!

1. swanlow36

March 6, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Watching Irons and will be a lock if he’s named for round 1. 22 possessions is hard to ignore for a midfielder priced at $80, 400 who can be traded in round 12.

• TheAussieDigger

March 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm

shame…everyones gonna jump all over irons now :p

• The Novice

March 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Its not really a biggie if ‘everyone’ jumps on irons. Most will have similair rookie structures. It’s what you do with your upgrade choices – who, when etc that will split everyone up.

• thejamster

March 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm

with the special event webcast, can we rewatch it later on?

• swanlow36

March 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Simply lock, load and cross your fingers!!!!

2. Warnie

Warnie

March 6, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Hopefully we will be able to record it (doing it on ustream like we did last year). Should be able to. At the very least, will have audio… hopefully! ;)

Technology can be a bitch at times!

3. Nooie

March 6, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Hey guys, get this. My dad and I were first yearers last year and my dad came second in his league WITHOUT Dane Swan. I think it is just beginners luck.

• andyjh

March 6, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Depends on the league. We could come top 2 in 50 odd % of leagues without any top 10 dt’ers.

4. Benatration

March 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm

yeah Callinan has really f**ked my structure. Chappy making me nervous too

• swanlow36

March 6, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Chappy is reported to have a calf injury.

• Benatration

March 6, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I know….hence why he is making me nervous ;)

• swanlow36

March 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm

me too. Had him since Christmas and is now an upgrade target for me. Goodes?

• maanco

March 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm

that would leave alot of cash in the bank

• thommo

March 6, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Yeah, with Chappy gone there are few great forwards I am confident to start with. I’m tempted to load up my backline and go with more rookies and midpricers in my forward line. At present Goodes is in my squad, despite his deep forward role in the Nab cup.

5. maanco

March 6, 2011 at 4:14 pm

if he is injured who to trade him to?

• maanco

March 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm

sorry chapy that is

• The Novice

March 6, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Stevie J!

6. the zohan

March 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Does this mean give up on Chapman for round 1?

• Nails

March 6, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Hey Zohan how are you man?

Yeah possibly/probably..

See if he plays next round in NAB challenge I guess..

I got Chapman in my mids to swap into forwards after first bye… so don’t know who to out him for.

I think I’ve gone crazy though Zohan… dropped Swan > Pendles

Now got 6 prem forwads, 6 prem backs, 1 prem ruck and 3 prem mids…

Only 6 players to upgrade… hmmm….

• displaced

March 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Nails, you really dropped Swan for Pendles?

I did exactly the same thing yesterday, all the time thinking that I’m a mad bastard for taking such a risk. I just think that Pendles could be about to take another step forward (check his averages for the last 3 years), but there’s no way for Swan’s scores to go any higher.

Plus, it will make it more challenging for me to try to pick my captain every week!!!!

• Nails

March 6, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I had Pendles in for a couple weeks, dropped him for Swan, had Swan in for a week or so now and dropped him to get Pendles back in haha.

• Benatration

March 6, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Easy with the Swan/Pendles thing….get both!

• the zohan

March 6, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Nails my man, havent been able to do much research yet hench all the q’s. I only have 3 prem forwards atm, not liking the look of most of them . i went swan + pendels. your team might be a bit weak then…
        join this dt talk league man, should be another good contest! 396364

• Nails

March 6, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I’m already maxed out bud :(

Would be nice if we could fit you in DT Talk J Brown league..

Got myself, Green Street and Force in it :)

• the zohan

March 6, 2011 at 6:50 pm

is it full? kick one of the hacks out for Liquid Engineering

7. Sarge

March 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Here here! Great post Warnie. While I have a base team and have been reading and keeping note of picks for my DT (using watch list) I’m really not going to get serious about my team until the week leading into first round.

As you say injuries are a worry and anything can happen between now and the start of the official AFL season.

You can doom and gloom over your team as long as you want but it’s probably not for the best.

8. Quanzo

March 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm

A little off topic (good article by the way Warnie), but looking for a highly competitive league. If anyone has one going and has any free spots could you post the league code. Thanks

• hotchickens

March 6, 2011 at 6:55 pm

one spot opened on this one 262859

• Quanzo

March 6, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Joined. Thanks

9. Ashie.1

March 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Pendles on my radar as well. If I go with Pendles instead of swan it allows me to drop petrie for ryder/jolly. This give me a jollycox or coxryder combo.

10. Mr Magoo

March 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I would like to thank all the players who have the decency to get properly injured while I still have time and unlimited trades to do something about it. None of this might play round one or two malarky to fuel my burning DT insecurity. A proper out for 10 -12 weeks, thanks decision made….take note Paul Chapman….you’re making me twitchy…a least do a knee or something so we can all stop our sphincter’s puckering…

11. mcw

March 6, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I reckon last year everone thought their teams were set until the carlton v richmond teams were announced then everyone jumped on nason and farmer as a sure bet. Felt sorry for those who got stuck with relton roberts though lol

• swanlow36

March 6, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Still remember me selecting Relton Roberts at the last minute last year and will never do that same thing again this year and will lock my team in the Wednesday before round 1.

• Nails

March 6, 2011 at 11:43 pm

what if 80% of your rookies aren’t named?

• Totto

March 7, 2011 at 11:14 am

I WILL CRY :'( haha

12. brisbane_rule

March 7, 2011 at 6:54 pm

What does every1 think of keeping Chappy he is making me more and more nervous by the day. is he still worth his price tag and r his injuries a worry?

• Coasters

March 9, 2011 at 11:54 am

Same thing was said last year but he came out in round 1 and smashed it all the way through.

He is the best foward in th game by a long shot and also a walk up captain.

13. Iamlegend

March 12, 2011 at 7:54 pm

your prediction was right warnie, now with mzungu…….