Fixture

AFL Dream Team 2011 Fixture Resource

The biggest factor on AFL Dream Team in 2011 is the fixture. We will have 34 byes to deal with over the 24 rounds meaning our best 22 players won’t always be playing. This is where an astute Dream Team coach will be on top of their game by understanding an planning around the fixture. We’re here to help!

The 2011 AFL Season is quite different to other AFL seasons we have experienced since playing AFL Dream Team.

As we know, the Gold Coast have entered the competition and for this year, we will have an uneven amount of teams therefore requiring a bye. But to make it all work for each club to play 22 rounds and have 2 byes, there are 5 rounds where 3 clubs will have byes.

The multi bye rounds are irrelevant for those playing for a league win, as there will be ‘league byes’ over those 5 rounds. Although, a smart coach would look at picking players from teams who have both of their byes in multi bye rounds – hello Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and Fremantle players.

If you’re aiming to finish as high as you can in the overall rankings… well, trying to win the car, then a lot of planning will need to go into your initial team (and subsequent trades) so that you can field 22 players over the multi-bye rounds. If your backline has Adcock, Goddard and Gilbert in it, then Round 4 will require all bench players to play. More to come during the preseason on how to maximise your chances during these rounds.

Golden Stubby - Round 11

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Below is a simple table showing round by round who have the byes. Take note of the highlighted rounds as they will require some thinking and strategy. Remembering the final four weeks are Dream Team Finals – with Essendon players unavailable for your Grand Final.

We will go into more depth on trading in the coming weeks, but one thing we can think about is looking to limit the byes of players in our teams. Put simply, it would be fantastic to pick a Port Adelaide player as a cash cow in the midfield, and upgrade him to Gary Ablett from Gold Coast in Round 10 or 11. What that would mean is that position on the field wouldn’t have a bye for the year. You wouldn’t require any cover from your bench for it because you would avoid the byes for the respective players. Hamish Hartlett anyone?

Trading will be a very important part of 2011, and with 24 trades we might be able to get a little more clever as we go about things! Keeping trades in the back pocket might be quite handy to get boost in the last few rounds.

Alrighty then. That’s what we’ve got for you here. Print these out and stick them next to your computer for a handy resource. Stay tuned for more on the fixture… with a VERY handy year long fixture analyser thing that we’re working on!

1. magpies01

January 12, 2011 at 10:20 am

Great info guys, thanks. I’m going for a league win so it’s a little easier for me. Stacking up on Melbourne, Brisbane, Freo and Sydney players. Trades and subs are gonna play a big role, so it’s gettin hard3r!

2. MTTY

January 12, 2011 at 10:20 am

If Ben Jacobs is MPP then he would be a good one to upgrade to Ablett as well if he gets lots of early games.

• Nooie

January 12, 2011 at 10:32 am

What does MMP mean?

• MTTY

January 12, 2011 at 10:36 am

MPP- Multi Positional Player

3. PRo_MoE1144

January 12, 2011 at 11:19 am

simple answer. i make one team league and one for car.

• tkol

January 12, 2011 at 11:30 am

2 teams?

I hate it when people say “my other team did this” or “my other team score 2300”.

A team is your life, not something you haw around with another team!
      Geeeez!

• Coasters

January 12, 2011 at 11:52 am

Im still trying to decide which one to go for, ive been trying to do a team that could be used for both.

• Friday Night Footy

January 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Thanks mr fun police…

My brother and I have 2 teams each (1 each for mum and dad).

And we have a rule – only talk about your main team and never go popping off about your “other” team.

1 team is not enough. 2 is adequate.

• TheRavalle

January 12, 2011 at 5:40 pm

fun police or not……1 team has to be enough because that is the rules of the game…..dont like it, dont play…….lol who are you to say how many teams are acceptable matey bloody hell some people!

• maanco

January 12, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I know some people!

• GJayBee

January 12, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I agree! Having two teams is like having two girlfriends. No, hang on, ahhhh two girlfriends is OK if a least one of them knows about the other one. What I meant to say was that having two teams is a wank! It’s like going for two AFL teams. Something that only mum’s are aloud to do!

• Robdog88

January 13, 2011 at 10:00 am

yer i agree with tkol aswell

• magpies01

January 12, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Cheating on your team? Adultery!!!!

• TheRavalle

January 12, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Simple your a cheat……not that I care that much cause I will never win the car but lets call a spade a spade …………bloody hell I think I have just called half the people reading this a cheat but oh well!!!

• magpies01

January 12, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Why you going crazy ? If the guy wants 2 teams who are you to stop him? Stop trying to make a scene, idiot.

• TheRavalle

January 12, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Have 7 teams if you want matey….the more the merrier, if I ran DT I wouldnt try and regulate it cause you cant…….I reckon when the people who do run Dream Team wrote that rule they were having a laugh too…I mean its up to the players to decide isnt it not the officials……..cool………….
          Sorry for causing a scene Magpies and hope I didnt offend any cheats such as yourself….you wanker

• magpies01

January 12, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I only have 1 team ya dickhead. Looks like your life seems so boring that you go on the Internet and make false accusations and call people cheats. I’m not the wanker mate, the wanker is the mirror, and it’s always annoying around you, fag.

• maanco

January 12, 2011 at 9:35 pm

calm it down fellas if you want i fight i can organise it for ya.
            How about outside the MCG, everyones invited!

• TheRavalle

January 12, 2011 at 9:46 pm

fair enough not gonna try and argue especially considering life is probably that boring….oh well…. anyways i had, i believe only accused people with more than one team of cheating b4 you called me an idiot for doing so……all good apologies i assumed wrong……shouldnt have bothered saying anything it in the 1st place…..

• magpies01

January 12, 2011 at 9:57 pm

ok lets just stop this arguement, but you were just overreacting at them, and it’s not cheating, they just wanna have double the fun, cos dt’s so good. sorry mate

• TheRavalle

January 12, 2011 at 10:22 pm

all good……i had a bad day at work soz oh dear now i have gone and set the DT gods against me, I can feel it!!! lol

• Nails

January 12, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Q: How many times can I enter?
            A: You may only register and enter each of the games ONCE. Anyone found to be registered more than once, or controlling more than one team in any one game at any stage of the competition, will face possible disqualification as indicated in the official game rules and terms of use

Technically they are cheating… if you control your mother’s team that’s still cheating, if it’s your mother’s team she needs to change the players…

I don’t want to start anything but it’s cheating no matter which way you look at it.

• magpies01

January 12, 2011 at 11:17 pm

You can use 2 diff emails and just give them diff info.

• magpies01

January 12, 2011 at 11:19 pm

TheRavalle, I think u might wanna know I’m at home all day, cos I’m 13. Must be abit surprised yeah? Sorry for the way I talked to u.

• Nails

January 13, 2011 at 12:01 am

diff info/ diff emails = making more than one team and is therefore cheating as it’s breaking the rules, it’s just a workaround people are using that is still against the rules.

• Nails

January 13, 2011 at 12:04 am

and whilst a lot of people think oh yeah it’s all good it’s a bit of a laugh etc…

What about those that obey the rules and only make one team and enter cash leagues… It’s unfair if they have to compete against a team made just for leagues/someone’s second team.

• TheRavalle

January 13, 2011 at 12:33 am

Oh god Magpies way to make a bloke feel even worse!! enjoy the game of DT however many teams you have mate and enjoy your school hols….

• magpies01

January 13, 2011 at 10:04 am

School holidays are killing me… So boring just wanna go back to school already so footy and DT start. Thx mate

4. Coasters

January 12, 2011 at 11:41 am

The one thing that makes it harder is its all well and good to bring say a Pendles into your team on round 14 but what if he come off the back of 4 awesome games and his price is well over 500K

Now its not just about picking premiums who have dropped you also need to be aware of their byes!

5. eeepobreci

January 12, 2011 at 12:09 pm

What about an “or both,” option, or do you think this is not possible?
    Great post Warnie- should prove very handy.
    Unfortunately, with so much effort already spent on team planning.
    Is 2011 not the year Guns & Rookies, if trying for but picking say 2 less guns, 2 less rookies, including 4 dpp players around the $250k range? (kind of thing!)

• jacktenstar

January 12, 2011 at 12:31 pm

The price of best and most expensive rookies which we want playing on our field are 150,000 and over according to the fan planner.

I believe it is worth paying a bit more for under priced players with plenty of potential like foley, petrie, otten and adcock who are way underpriced and could possibly average 80+ especially foley.

This means though we have less money for guns and and we need to get mid pricers like Morton and Sidebottom who have the potential to average around 90 and Jack around 105 instead.

The only problem is choosing the right ones on course for a break out year and which ones will be to risky due to injury or form which is why research over the pre-season is necessary.

• demonator

January 12, 2011 at 5:40 pm

you dont have to spend big money on buying rookies. there are plenty of rookies that will be getting games under the 100k mark

• tkol

January 12, 2011 at 12:43 pm

If you concentrate on the overall standings and are successful then you cruise into the top 4 of your league, definately the 8.

Prior to last year i save trades for finals and only concentrated on premierships. This meant i was knocked out of finals with 4 up my sleeves two years running.

If you rate your squad go for the overall, just dont use it as an excuse in your league because we all care about winning premierships too!

6. Black Klaw

January 12, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Great info cheers boys!

While pride says that I am going for the overall win, in reality I am going for the league win… My mates and I throw $100 each in and the winner (me last year!) takes away about $1,300 so there is a fair bit at stake! I did end up in the top 1000 last year which was my best result from 6 years.

I am going to have to revisit my team to suss out the impact the byes will have and mix it around.

A little off topic but will you gents be doing a Deck of DT on David Zaharakis? I reckon he could up his average a good 10 – 20 points this year. He was played well out of position last year, deep in the forward line and on the half forward flank and has been highlighted by Hirdy as having more of a role in the midfield this year.

He and Dangerfield (with the exit of all the senior players) are 2 forwards who will spend far more time in the mids this year and we all know that forwards playing in the midfield are gold!

7. swanlow36

January 12, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Got Ben Jacobs in the backline and if he’s MPP I can swap him with heppell, then upgrade heppell to a gun who’s price has dropped and upgrade Jacobs to Gary Ablett Jnr…

• MTTY

January 12, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Exactley my thinking

8. jim cowski

January 12, 2011 at 1:22 pm

hey great stuff guys.

im going for overall- because i need a car and hate taking the bus

nah but seriously, going for overall means you still have a pretty good shot at your leagues. as some people have said, you should definitely get into your top 8 if youre doing well in the national rankings.

9. maanco

January 12, 2011 at 2:22 pm

dam already worked all of that out, turns out i didn’t have to cause it was done for me, owell.

nice right up btw!

10. andyjh

January 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I always play for the car. I finished top 1500 last year after being top 300 for a chunk of the season some bad trades killed my last few weeks! This year is gunna be bloody HARDER with the byes but the thing thats worrying me the most is SUBSTITUTES! what happens when 1 of my players is havin a shit first half n gets subbed? We’ll cop a 39 instead of him possibly having a superman 50 pt 3rd qtr!!!

• GJayBee

January 12, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Good point! I recon that by the fourth quarter all coaches will be bringing on the fresh sub to run their asses off! (after telling one of their mids to run like mad for three quarters) I can’t see coaches putting a tall on the sub bench. Maybe someone like Tarrant who can play back or forward, but I recon’ the sub will be the best runner not in the team. Who knows, we might see players like Crawford be able to hang around for a few more years becoming ‘pinch hitters’

• Bruce Dual

January 12, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Spot on. It scares me to death.

I can picture many coaches sitting satisfied at their computer at 3/4 time staring at a 80 against their captain thinking all is well with their chosen super premium only to watch the 80 not move for the whole 4th quarter because said chosen one has run his guts out for three quarters, the game’s in the bag and he gets subbed off. The horror.

11. Fatty McButterpants

January 12, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Interested to hear your views on captain options if you’re going for a league win, boys. For instance, Swan was my first player picked in Fan Planner as I want him as captain from round 1. But that was before I saw the fixture. If Collingwood have 2 byes by round 13, maybe I’m better off getting, say, Montagna who doesn’t miss a DT league game until round 14 or Boyd (round 20), and trading Swan in after round 13.

• maanco

January 12, 2011 at 8:59 pm

why cant you just get both of them swan and montagna (boyd)

• Fatty McButterpants

January 12, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Because I think Swan is too expensive for a player that will play a maximum of 11 out of the first 13 games, but I fear playing teams that have him as captain from round 1 if I don’t. With the new DT rules caused by the byes, I just thought that this kind of conundrum is yet a decision we will face for the first time.

• Bruce Dual

January 12, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I’m starting with Boyd and Montagna as my Capt options and trading in Swan after Rd 13 – well, that’s the plan

• Black Klaw

January 13, 2011 at 9:46 am

Will you have Goddard in defense? Good option.

12. Friday Night Footy

January 12, 2011 at 9:31 pm

At the end of the day it’s only a game anyway so why all this nervous energy. I have only 1 team and my “mum” only has 1 team – but I help her with strategies etc.

“mum’s” team will be going for the car and I will just go in random leagues (not against my team) for fun and keep things introspective.

I dont think this is cheating even though my mum doesnt even know what DT is. ha ha

• GJayBee

January 12, 2011 at 9:40 pm

hahahahah! nice

• Nails

January 12, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I sorta did that last year when I was n00b but felt bad and cancelled all my non-main teams a few rounds in.

Odds are the guy who wins the car will probably win his league too. Create a team that’ll win both.

• Friday Night Footy

January 12, 2011 at 10:23 pm

The vietnamese bloke at the IGA near my house has about 8 teams. we talk shop all the time. pun intended .

hows those floods in Queensland. i feel like donating some money.

13. eeepobreci

January 12, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Who “really cares,” how many teams people have?
    Although possibly an extreme example is buying 100 tattslotto tickets instead of 1.
    Reckon your closer to winning Div 1?
    But I do agree that if you do have multiple teams, he’ll yeah, don’t go mentioning, “my other team.”
    As if 1 team doesn’t provide for enough headaches as it is! lol

Let’s try & keep things civil peoples!
    The Posts/comments have been really really good, & had made DT TALK even better with very useful contributions!

You were right Calvin- a matter of time, hey!

I’m quite curious to see how many people have changed their initial opinions on DT 2011?
    Last year many were saying it’s only for 1 year, back to normal in 2012….
    Personally I’m more involved than I thought I would have been!

• Bruce Dual

January 12, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I hadn’t looked at it until the new year ticked over (a conscious decision to preserve my marriage). Now I’m well a truly hooked in (to DT that is) and the strategy aspects are doing my head in. God help my wretched soul.

• Friday Night Footy

January 12, 2011 at 11:05 pm

defintely more thinking required. will separate the men from the boys this year

thanks to warnie for the resource,

Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and Fremantle players hey.

hello scully, grimes, jack, duffield, sandi, broughton, palmer, pav.

grundy and jack redden havent missed a game in a couple of years…. durability is the cornertone to a DT outfit. brisbane will have a plethora of youngsters coming through after losing brennan and rischitilli

rounds 4-6 will be lamo with no league games. will be good to get to round 6 with not many trades used….

• dockerone

January 14, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Although it is the same as round 3 due to the extended season :(

14. the roo boy

January 12, 2011 at 11:23 pm

ive missed out on a fair chunk of dt pre season and im still quite unsure of the rules i no there is 24 trades and 3 bench players but thats about it all these bye rounds r doing my head in like do we get their average score when that team plays a bye or do we hav to use a sub?

• dockerone

January 14, 2011 at 6:39 pm

You have to use one of your bench players (extended by one in backs, mids and forwards as you mentioned)

15. swanlow36

January 12, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Subsitutes are Scary!!!!

Imagine in round 10, Dane Swan is on 120 points at 3 quarter time, on his way to a 160+ score with the Pies leading by 80 points at the last change, everyone puts him as Captain for the week, Malthouse subs him off with Leigh Brown and Swan goes into the Interchange bench.

• aaron_11766

January 13, 2011 at 1:04 am

you’d be disappointed in 120? and even if that did happen, it wouldn’t factor because everyone else would be in the same postion?

16. ShrewDext

January 14, 2011 at 11:55 am

Round 6 Hawthorn and Freo byes make Mzungu / Smith MPP almost useless.
    Especially difficult if you have Hodge MID, Franklin, Rioli, Pav FWD and have to cover Sandilands in the Ruck.
    Geelong with Bye also = Horror round!

17. Essendon29

January 19, 2011 at 6:20 pm

off topic but whats everyones opinion on robbie gray?

Warnie

January 19, 2011 at 6:23 pm

“Don’t do it to yourself!” – Warnie, former coach of the delisted, injury prone DT dud.

• Phil Ken Sebben

January 20, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I *nearly* got sucked into Spuddy Gray last year. Unfortunately I went Higgins instead, who absolutely did my head in…
        You would think I’d learn, but Warnie, what do you you think of Higgins this year? SURELY he has to have left all his bad luck and shifting Etihad surface woes behind him?

18. swanlow36

January 20, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Great!!!!!! I can now swap Jacobs with Heppell and then upgrade Jacobs to Gazza in round 10 :D

19. Rooboy

January 20, 2011 at 1:05 pm

What are peoples thoughts on Burgoyne this year?(hawks)

• Phil Ken Sebben

January 20, 2011 at 9:05 pm

He’s a JET! The back half of his season was outstanding last year. Hodgey will always get the hard tag from here on and Burgoyne will rack ’em up around the stoppages. He’s particularly suited to Supercoach coz he uses the ball so well (they don’t call him ‘Silky’ for nothing).

20. DolceButRuthless

January 21, 2011 at 10:39 am

Awesome work guys as usual! Cannot wait to get into it!! man its gonna be sweet this year!

21. Warnie

Warnie

January 24, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Don’t listen to that Hamish Hartlett advice, he has done his hamstring.

• Benatration

January 24, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I don’t think anyone did in the first place :P

22. Rayo

February 9, 2011 at 12:58 am

Anyone thought about making teams with sole purpose is to win the weekly prize in any one of the ‘multi bye’ rounds??

• Z

February 16, 2011 at 7:04 pm

An interesting concept. A lot of teams are only going to score low – average those weeks, knowing that it won’t affect their leagues. Even the guys who are aiming for the car will only be covering for those rounds. Granted, they will most likely be covering extremely well, but none the less, it is a different set of goal posts to aim at. Especially if you look at some of the teams that have both of their byes in the multi-bye rounds, you will probably be able to formulate a really good team with the aim of killing those 5 weeks.

23. knickers

March 11, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I’m in a league with my brother this year n hes put 2 teams in, one for him, one for his wife…question is when his team plays the wifes team…if he needs a win will his… “wife lay down for him”. ^_^